"Go to First Unread" Broken

Rezzy

I'm not sure if other people have noticed, but clicking on the icon that used to lead you to the first unread post of a thread or clicking on the notifications that now post don't seem to be working properly.  It will pop me several posts back, often several pages back, to posts I've already read.  It seems to often fixate on a particular post on a thread and always go there, when I check back on the thread.

5 minutes ago, Elieson said:

Are you clicking on the Star/Ball, rather than the text? You need to click that

Yeah, I click the icon, but the above still happens.

By that, I mean, it takes me not to the first page, but an arbitrary previous page I've already read, like 227 out of 231 or something like Mimikyu's example, and not the actual first unread post.  It doesn't always happen, but it's happened often enough to notice, since the forum upgrade.

Edited by Rezzy

15 minutes ago, Nobody said:

i'm having the same issue. What seems to happen to me is that it redirects me to the page before the one I last read

this, basically

As hard as I've tried, I cannot reproduce this. The forum is still processing data, though. There will probably be issues until that is settled.

1 hour ago, Elieson said:

Are you clicking on the Star/Ball, rather than the text? You need to click that

I dont even see the text, and only just recently discovered that the star did the same.

Otherwise, Im the same

EDIT: if you say so

Edited by Motendra
New post

42 minutes ago, Jyosua said:

As hard as I've tried, I cannot reproduce this. The forum is still processing data, though. There will probably be issues until that is settled.

I'm not very adept at coding, but I've noticed it when clicking the star.  It also happened when I click the text in the main forum page that shows the most recent post, which before the forum upgrade would take me to the most recent post, now takes me to an arbitrary page.  For example, I just got put to page 226 of 228 for the General USA Politics thread.

It may be a bug that will get sorted out over time, I just wanted to let you guys know about it.

On 1/21/2017 at 9:45 AM, Makaze said:

Confirming. The larger the thread the worse the offset.

On 1/21/2017 at 5:34 PM, disjunct.ion said:

This also happens to me all the time FWIW.

Yeah, the problem seems to be becoming more prevalent.  I use Firefox, if that makes a difference.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Wait until the forum is done with its back end stuff.  This may take a while.

Okey doke, I'll see if it gets better over the next week or so.

On 1/21/2017 at 10:36 AM, Jyosua said:

That has literally never happened to me.

It's like this

01.png

When I click to General US Politics, link https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/56082-general-us-politics/&do=getNewComment

It goes to https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/56082-general-us-politics/&page=226#comment-4678651

It's page 226, while it should goes to page 230, the last page at the moment.

2 minutes ago, hanhnn said:

It's like this

01.png

When I click to General US Politics, link https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/56082-general-us-politics/&do=getNewComment

It goes to https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/56082-general-us-politics/&page=226#comment-4678651

It's page 226, while it should goes to page 230, the last page at the moment.

Aha, that's your problem. That link gets the first unread comment in that thread. The link that says "8 Hours Ago" gets the actual last post in the thread.

1 hour ago, Jyosua said:

Aha, that's your problem. That link gets the first unread comment in that thread. The link that says "8 Hours Ago" gets the actual last post in the thread.

The same link now get me to page 229, still not page 230, which it should be

Click https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/56082-general-us-politics/&do=getNewComment --> go to https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/56082-general-us-politics/&page=229#comment-4682239

I think it's something related to the site cache, did you set it auto refresh once a week, at 0 AM of Monday?

02.png

Edited by hanhnn

21 minutes ago, hanhnn said:

The same link now get me to page 229, still not page 230, which it should be

Click https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/56082-general-us-politics/&do=getNewComment --> go to https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/56082-general-us-politics/&page=229#comment-4682239

I think it's something related to the site cache, did you set it auto refresh once a week, at 0 AM of Monday?

It could be related to caching, but that would be at the CDN level and the cache time is fairly short. I added an exception to this particular query string; maybe that will help. I've still never seen it happen though.

5 hours ago, Jyosua said:

It could be related to caching, but that would be at the CDN level and the cache time is fairly short. I added an exception to this particular query string; maybe that will help. I've still never seen it happen though.

If it is related to caches, then it has to do with them not working properly, not just too long a time frame. On larger threads it is incorrectly guessing the pages days later, even when you are the last person to reply to the thread.

Just now:

twNb4.png

Clicked the "15 minutes ago":

twNcW.png

I am thinking it has something to do with the number of posts on the page and incorrect calculation of the page numbers. It's not just Get Last Post. It's the "Jump to Post" button in quotes, too. This is on Page 19158:

twNsx.png

As you can see, the quotes post is directly above it on the same page. When I click the jump link in the quote from the bottom post, it takes me to:

twNxx.png

Despite the post being on the same page I was viewing at that time.

3 hours ago, Makaze said:

If it is related to caches, then it has to do with them not working properly, not just too long a time frame. On larger threads it is incorrectly guessing the pages days later, even when you are the last person to reply to the thread.

Just now: 

Clicked the "15 minutes ago":

I am thinking it has something to do with the number of posts on the page and incorrect calculation of the page numbers. It's not just Get Last Post. It's the "Jump to Post" button in quotes, too. This is on Page 19158:

As you can see, the quotes post is directly above it on the same page. When I click the jump link in the quote from the bottom post, it takes me to:

Despite the post being on the same page I was viewing at that time.

Cloudflare's caching works fine. But if it cached the whole page for a dynamic request, that would be a problem. That doesn't appear to be what's happening, as shown by the rule exception I added.

However, I really wish people would stop bitching about this. Yes, it could be related to calculating posts incorrectly. Guess what? The backend is still not done processing the posts. We're only about 30% done with that. Through no fault of our own, it takes a really fucking long time because this version of the forum software was built from scratch and the database schemas are pretty different. There's 4.6 million posts that need to be reprocessed, reindexed, recounted, etc. So hold your goddamn horses and wait until we get to a point where we might actually be able to narrow down what the problem is.

Keep in mind normal people can't be sure what is and what isn't related to the the rebuild. If a bug hasn't been reported yet the average user will report it without knowing if it is related to the rebuilds.

1 hour ago, Jyosua said:

Cloudflare's caching works fine. But if it cached the whole page for a dynamic request, that would be a problem. That doesn't appear to be what's happening, as shown by the rule exception I added.

However, I really wish people would stop bitching about this. Yes, it could be related to calculating posts incorrectly. Guess what? The backend is still not done processing the posts. We're only about 30% done with that. Through no fault of our own, it takes a really fucking long time because this version of the forum software was built from scratch and the database schemas are pretty different. There's 4.6 million posts that need to be reprocessed, reindexed, recounted, etc. So hold your goddamn horses and wait until we get to a point where we might actually be able to narrow down what the problem is.

I know that tone can be impossible to discern strictly by text, but I hope that I don't come across as impatient.  I just wanted to let you know about the problem, in case you guys weren't aware of it.

I know the rebuild can't be easy, and I sincerely appreciate the work you guys are putting into the rebuild.

Yeah the last page seems to be nonexistent for me in the politics thread, not sure if it's like that for others.  I see the poster and time of the latest post but clicking just shows the previous page as if it's the last one 

• Jyosua locked this topic