• Wyvern Rider: Axes
    • Wyvern Lord; Axes, Lances
    • Malig Knight: Axes, Dark
  • Dancer: Daggers
  • Manakete: Dragonstones
  • Wilder: Beaststones
  • Aves: Birdstones
Edited by Gima

I like these choices, especially Theives, Assasins and Rouges using knives (had that idea myself).

A wyvern class using swords and axes? Very interesting.

Why haven`t we had more classes based on Bird Tribe Laguz? Guess we`ll never know.

Dancers using knives? Cool.

Not bad, but it gets shaky around the magic users. I feel like Sage should be the promotion to fewer classes and there isn't really a reason for Druid to have 3 weapon types when most promoted units only have 2.

27 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Not bad, but it gets shaky around the magic users. I feel like Sage should be the promotion to fewer classes and there isn't really a reason for Druid to have 3 weapon types when most promoted units only have 2.

Yeah, I wasn't really sure how to handle the magic users. I'll probably end up releasing another version with some classes made wholecloth.

With the debut of Malig Knights (Axe/Tome) in Fates, I thought it would be cool to have the fliers share a promotion with the mages. 

For example:
Shaman: Dark
-Druid: Dark/Staff
-Dark Drake: Dark/Axe

Monk: Light
-Bishop: Light/Staff
-Seraph Knight (Pegasus): Light/Lance

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

With the debut of Malig Knights (Axe/Tome) in Fates, I thought it would be cool to have the fliers share a promotion with the mages. 

For example:
Shaman: Dark
-Druid: Dark/Staff
-Dark Drake: Dark/Axe

Monk: Light
-Bishop: Light/Staff
-Seraph Knight (Pegasus): Light/Lance

See, that's the thing. I don't want hybrid classes. I feel like hybrid classes should be their own thing, not a promotion to a non-hybrid class. Probably going to add some magic knight-esque classes to this list for that exact reason.

I would say this list is pretty good. THough I would suggest sages not be allowed light  or staves (otherwise far fewer people would use bishops). Also, here are some possible magic knights and other hybrids:

Battle Mage: lance/anima (non-mounted; a mage in partial armor)

- Battle Sage: lance/anima (non-mounted)

- Owl Knight: anima/bows (the name says it)

Pilgrim: light/sword (non-mounted)

- Seraph Knight: light/lance (Pegasus)

- Templar: light/sword (horse or non-mounted; I haven't decided)

Dullahan: dark/axe (zombie horse or ordinary horse)

- Dark Drake: dark/axe (Dracozombie or dark dragon)

- Nuckelavee: dark/sword (monstrous zombie horse)

Just now, Florete said:

As far as I can tell this is just the Sacred Stones class tree with a bit of influence from the later games. That's not exactly bad, but not very "custom."

...True.

Going to have to agree with Florete. This is pretty much The Sacred Stones with only some small additions. I'd say axe the Light Magic on Sages. There's no reason to promote to Bishop if a Sage can do everything a Bishop can +anima magic. Unless there's a skill or something involved. Likewise there's very little reason to go Sorcerer over Druid. In that case I suggest one of them be Dark Staves and the other be Dark Anima.

Edited by Jotari

First of all, 'custom' or no, it's their own list for whatever purpose they want, whether it's derivative or not is kind of beside the point, it's just something they wanted to share. Not strictly a flaw; as an observation, it's fine, but don't make an insult out of it when it doesn't need to be.

On 1/21/2017 at 3:00 PM, NekoKnight said:

On 1/21/2017 at 3:28 PM, Gima said:

Yeah, I wasn't really sure how to handle the magic users. I'll probably end up releasing another version with some classes made wholecloth.

If I might make a suggestion: 

Druids = Dark / Staves

Sorcerers = Dark / Anima ?

That's pretty consistent with their appearances in games outside of Sacred Stones. (looking at FE6+7 and Awakening/Fates, anyway)

Oh whoops I didn't realize that Jotari already said exactly that lol. I should read through these better. Well, consider me seconding that notion then.

Alternatively.... This little class lineup on Pixiv did a pretty good job showcasing/utilizing most all the GBA classes for a similar project; not saying you necessarily should / have to use their versions of classes, but it's another potential source of inspiration if you need ideas (it seems like they had the same or a similar idea when it comes to representing all the GBA classes for whatever project this ways, anyway).

I made a thread talking about what all the classes were in there.

Edited by BANRYU

1 minute ago, BANRYU said:

First of all, 'custom' or no, it's their own list for whatever purpose they want, whether it's derivative or not is kind of beside the point, it's just something they wanted to share. Not strictly a flaw; as an observation, it's fine, but don't make an insult out of it when it doesn't need to be

I didn't insult it. Judging by Gima's response, I don't think it was perceived that way, either.

But for Gima going forward, I do have some general suggestions:
1. Don't feel the need to stick to FE tradition. Make up new classes, kill old classes, switch up branches of existing trees. Have archers promote into warriors, or mages into druids.
2. All promoted magic classes don't need staff access. Giving staff access to everyone just makes it boring and less valuable for anyone to have.
3. If you want to be really custom, start from scratch. Determine how many base classes you want wielding each weapon (and some can double up) and make them up from there. Then do the same for promoted classes.

10 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

First of all, 'custom' or no, it's their own list for whatever purpose they want, whether it's derivative or not is kind of beside the point, it's just something they wanted to share. Not strictly a flaw; as an observation, it's fine, but don't make an insult out of it when it doesn't need to be.

If I might make a suggestion: 

Druids = Dark / Staves

Sorcerers = Dark / Anima ?

That's pretty consistent with their appearances in games outside of Sacred Stones. (looking at FE6+7 and Awakening/Fates, anyway)

Oh whoops I didn't realize that Jotari already said exactly that lol. I should read through these better. Well, consider me seconding that notion then.

Alternatively.... This little class lineup on Pixiv did a pretty good job showcasing/utilizing most all the GBA classes for a similar project; not saying you necessarily should / have to use their versions of classes, but it's another potential source of inspiration if you need ideas (it seems like they had the same or a similar idea when it comes to representing all the GBA classes for whatever project this ways, anyway).

I made a thread talking about what all the classes were in there, hold on I'll try to find/link it as well in case that helps. 

Who do you see as throwing insults? Because I certainly didn't intend my comment to be an insult and I don't think Florete did either.

Ahh, okay. I suppose I misinterpreted, apologies if my tone was too harsh then, gents. Suppose I got defensive for nothing lol ;;

But uhh... yeah, on that note, I'll agree with Florete as well. Don't necessarily feel the need to adhere to prior traditions as such, since they can be the results of hardware/game engine limitation, occasionally; for instance, I'm fairly certain that most magic promotes have Staves as their secondary because of the lack of both a Strength and Magic stat on characters in the GBA games. Adding both allows characters to go mixed, as we see in the 3DS games, and these classes are often cool / appealing for that reason so don't hesitate to go that route as well if you want.

EDIT: Throwing another idea in there; one thing I always thought might be cool was if the sorcerers in awakening could use daggers? I know the weapon class was missing from that game, but the notion of Sages being able to use daggers in Path of Radiance was something I always thought would make more sense on Awakening Sorcs, since they probably have a lot of uses for ritual daggers for blood magic and hexes and whatnot haha. Might as well use them in battle too

Edited by BANRYU

I don't think it's that bad to have a lot of staves, to be honest. It's never bad to have another healer, especially if they are already a competent fighter. Besides, if OP doesn't want promotions that become hybrids, that's going to limit what mages can equip.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the class list being derivative. No need to fix what isn't broken.

Edited by NekoKnight

2 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

I don't think it's that bad to have a lot of staves, to be honest. It's never bad to have another healer, especially if they are already a competent fighter. Besides, if OP doesn't want promotions that become hybrids, that's going to limit what mages can equip.

It's cool if a couple magic units can gain staves on promotion, but dull if all your magic units are running around with them. A better way to make magic classes feel special without giving them physical weaponry would be to simply expand on what magic and magical classes can do. Unique skills, more varied weapons, etc.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

It's cool if a couple magic units can gain staves on promotion, but dull if all your magic units are running around with them. A better way to make magic classes feel special without giving them physical weaponry would be to simply expand on what magic and magical classes can do. Unique skills, more varied weapons, etc.

Of that I'd agree. Different class stat arrangements, diversified magic schools etc. I don't know if OP wants class skills or not, but here are some ideas:

Battle Mage: Anima tomes
Class skill - Mana Shield: 3/4 of this unit's Magic stat is added to its Defense.

Saint: Light tomes
Class skill - Holy Light: Recover 30% of damage dealt with Light tomes.

Necromancer: Dark tomes
Class skill - Curse of Undeath: When this unit initiates combat and defeats an enemy, a copy of that unit is returned to the battlefield under your control. Revived units can't be healed.

Echoing what NekoKnight (and originally I as well) said that there's nothing wrong with it being derivative either. Branching out is fine, but being derivative is also fine. Whatever boats your float etc. etc.

Ever since I heard of Barons in GotHW I've always liked the idea of Battlemages being an armored mage class, like a magic-wielding knight that promotes into the Magic+weapon-wielding+armor class Baron (axes are what I'd pick, but could be anything really). If/when I make such a custom class list that will def be on there haha. 

Anyway those other suggestions are cool too. I also like the idea of Dark Mage and Shaman both being dark magic-using base classes, with Druid/Sorc/Summoner/Necromancer being the pool of potential promoted classes to distribute to them. 

Alright, working on this in private right now. It's still going to be pretty derivative, but I like it that way. :^_^:

The main reason I don't want to get too original is because I need the name of something to be just perfect. I'll probably spend a disproportionate amount of effort naming classes meant to fill in holes, especially as I'm planning on adding third tiers (for more Magic diversity, mostly.)

I find promoted Hybrid classes to be something of a trap, as in almost every case a prepromote is gong to be better at it then an early game unit, in which case why is it not its own class in the first place?

Also working on fixing some of the miscallaneous flaws.

Some notes:

The "Stone Triad" is being expanded. Now all Dragon type units will be effective against Beast type units, Beast type units will be effective against Flying units, and Flying type units will be effective against Dragon type units. Now horse riders have more  weaknesses, (and pegasus and wyvern riders presumably don't, since shut cancels out, although I might have to check on that.) On the topic of riders, one design note is that while characters can gain mounts, they can't lose them. No suddenly changing from a Pegasus to a wyvern, either.

Decided that Summoners would work with some restrictions, including only being able to use Dark Magic. Yes, this means they don't have access to staves (until promotion, at least.)

Villagers are a thing. They can use any weapon type and promote into a unit that uses the same weapon type.

Current planned hybrid classes include War Monks/Clerics, a Sword and Tome using class, and a Unicorn rider. Yes, really.

The only problem I have with hybrids is how the game choose growths and class bases. Most characters are designed to be either physically or magically oriented so when it gets to promoting to the hybrid, that character is still going to be using predominately their original weapon type. Orochi as a Basara is always going to be a mage, and Oboro as a Basara is always going to be a lancer. Characters who have hybrid classes as promotion options should have reasonable growths in BOTH attack stats. Another problem (as it was in Fates at least) is hybrid classes don't factor in the original weapon type when deciding weapon rank caps. To use Basara as an example again, the weapon caps are Lance A and Tome B, which favors lancers more.

A suggestion, if you don't mind. I think since you're cool with adding knives to the mix, you should also do crossbows instead of standard bows on Warriors, and as an additional weapon to bows on Snipers. Also as a maybe, give crossbows to GreatKnights instead of axes to keep them further from Generals.

You could have a Crossbowman as an unpromoted class as well, promoting to Sniper or Warrior.

I know this is a hypothetical list, but I think these kinds of things are fun.

58 minutes ago, Cornguy said:

A suggestion, if you don't mind. I think since you're cool with adding knives to the mix, you should also do crossbows instead of standard bows on Warriors, and as an additional weapon to bows on Snipers. Also as a maybe, give crossbows to GreatKnights instead of axes to keep them further from Generals.

You could have a Crossbowman as an unpromoted class as well, promoting to Sniper or Warrior.

I know this is a hypothetical list, but I think these kinds of things are fun.

I would prefer that Crossbows be a type of Bow. Crossbows being their own weapon type sounds cool, but the plans right now are that we basically use every weapon triangle (i.e. the Fates weapon triangle with Swords, Lances, Axes, Bows, Knives, and Tomes, in addition to the two magic triangles with Anima, Light, Darkness, Fire, Thunder, and Wind, as well as, again, a new weapon triangle involving Dragons, Beasts, and Fliers). Crossbows don't really have a place as their own weapon type, there. (You could substitute Tomes with Crossbows, but then Wyvern Riders aren't as weak to Tomes as Pegasus Knights are weak to Bows.) That said, they are probably going to be added.

Will note which classes get Crossbows, (namely Warriors and Snipers, like in Radiant Dawn and how you said.) 

As for Neko's point, I dislike how in order to properly make that work, Oboro would need to have a high Magic stat, or Orochi would need to have a high Strength stat. Thus I'm probably going to be sticking to the plan I have now. Also unsure as to whether or not to go with the Unicorn Rider after all... I like the dichtomy between the Dark Knight and War Monk, and it's not like we need another magic knight. :):

This is looking nice, I especially like the stone triad! Out of curiosity though, are you going to do anything with the armored type? Because that's always really underutilized imo (or rather it's a weakness that's usually given to classes that don't need to be any worse)

I agree the hybrid classes are done pretty badly in Awakening&Fates, which is sad because I like them in concept. Though if I remember right, Azama and Sakura are fairly respectable in their hybrid promotions? Compared to the other options, at least.

2 hours ago, Sylphid said:

This is looking nice, I especially like the stone triad! Out of curiosity though, are you going to do anything with the armored type? Because that's always really underutilized imo (or rather it's a weakness that's usually given to classes that don't need to be any worse)

I'm probably going to grant armored class a significant strength, like some degree of damage reduction or an exclusive Skill. Basically just make them much better at tanking, so that unless your enemy is packing an Armorslayer or Hammer they do their job and do it well.

Edit: So apparently even though Crossbows were a type of bow back in Radiant Dawn Warriors only got access to them. Serves me right for not playing that game...

Warriors just getting Crossbows it is. I'll probably add a Crossbowman class, too, since in most Fire Emblem games you have more than one type of Bow user. Nomads, Hunters, etc.

Edited by Gima