Do you think Fire Emblem Switch will use the same engine as the 3DS games?

Hmm, it's hard to say.

From many perspectives, the 3D engine used in the 3DS FEs is superior to the one in the Tellius saga games. All they'd have to do is make the models more detailed and polish the textures and they could totally recycle it for the Switch.

That said, it's possible they really want to challenge themselves and make a vastly improved engine from scratch.

I'd wonder if Nintendo wanted IS to show off Switch's capability. If so, then it's possible we'd see a new engine for all FE switch games to come. 

I think the most likely scenario is that they'll use the 3DS engines as a base, keeping stuff like Pair-Up and the Attack Stance but at he same time overhauling it and adding new features to take advantage of the Switch. For example, other units could be shown in the distance in the battle, relative to their position in contrast to the units currently in battle, building on Fates zooming into the map.

I don't think it would be that easy to just port something made for the 3DS over to the Switch, but then again, I'm no programmer. Anyway, I'd kinda like to see a new engine with a vastly different style. I'd like to see somethnig more akin to PoR/RD with full 3D models outside of battle, as well.

New Engine. I doubt they'd use the 3DS one again. Kinda need to impress the people with them fancy, smancy additions! :P:

I personally just want some sort of return to how Radiant Dawn worked(because I kinda liked how certain things were in that game better, like skills ). 

Also...I REALLY want those flashy and over the top critical animations! THEY'RE SO DELICIOUS! :drool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLoNkLC5FIU

(Watch at least a small taste of the beautiful destruction!)

(Thinking on that, that would be a cool thing to see again...Tier 3 classes!):D:

4 hours ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

Personally if there is one thing I hope returns it's the way like how in Radiant Dawn where units with shields can instead of the usual dodge they block attacks instead. 

This too. It was small, but it was a very nice detail.

28 minutes ago, DeoxyRibose said:

I don't think it would be that easy to just port something made for the 3DS over to the Switch, but then again, I'm no programmer. Anyway, I'd kinda like to see a new engine with a vastly different style. I'd like to see somethnig more akin to PoR/RD with full 3D models outside of battle, as well.

I feel the same way. 

Edited by Busterman64

It will be a new engine the 3DS engine is not gonna fly for a HD console this is not a question, it will be changed that just isn't possible. Now we don't know if they're going to do a full on $60 release I think they are but they could go for a more indy art style but regardless the current engine does not work for an HD console and will be changed.

Not only by necessity of how bad it would look but considering the fact of the 3DS runs on hardware that is by lightyears different from the Switch fates engine would not run well.

Edited by Locke087

Since the Switch supports the Unreal Engine they may just use that and taking whatever ideas, both established and backburner, from the 3DS engine. Hopefully improving them for the better. 

Fire Emblem Echoes may be the last game they used the 3DS engine for. Could be wrong though.

They aren't necessarily going to stop releasing games for the 3DS anytime soon. While it is true that the 3DS family of systems is getting older, there is still much expansion that can happen using the additional power of the New 3DS and it would be a great platform to see more Echoes games on. Plus, a large amount of Fire Emblem fans already have a 3DS because of Awakening and Fates, so they could reach a lot of return customers that way. Nintendo has empathized time and time again that the Switch is not replacing the Wii U and 3DS, but simply adding another play option to a gamer's arsenal.

That said, I think they will keep developing games for the 3DS using the 3DS engine, while the upcoming game for the Switch will hopefully use better technology to take the series in a new direction.

6 minutes ago, SullyMcGully said:

They aren't necessarily going to stop releasing games for the 3DS anytime soon. While it is true that the 3DS family of systems is getting older, there is still much expansion that can happen using the additional power of the New 3DS and it would be a great platform to see more Echoes games on. Plus, a large amount of Fire Emblem fans already have a 3DS because of Awakening and Fates, so they could reach a lot of return customers that way. Nintendo has empathized time and time again that the Switch is not replacing the Wii U and 3DS, but simply adding another play option to a gamer's arsenal.

That said, I think they will keep developing games for the 3DS using the 3DS engine, while the upcoming game for the Switch will hopefully use better technology to take the series in a new direction.

While I do wish that the New 3DS would get some love, and sale price, they may just have to forsake it as to not alienate the rest of the 3DS userbase.

However if they do still use the 3DS engine, I see it as more of DLC maps like BS Fire Emblem to hopefully flesh out characters either new characters or characters with very little screen time.

Switch has pretty much replaced Wii U though it may take some time for the assimilation of 3DS users so the 3DS has like 1 - 3 years left anyhow,   

On 1/22/2017 at 8:55 AM, Locke087 said:

It will be a new engine the 3DS engine is not gonna fly for a HD console this is not a question, it will be changed that just isn't possible. Now we don't know if they're going to do a full on $60 release I think they are but they could go for a more indy art style but regardless the current engine does not work for an HD console and will be changed.

Not only by necessity of how bad it would look but considering the fact of the 3DS runs on hardware that is by lightyears different from the Switch fates engine would not run well.

They can reuse the engine by simply modifying the existing engines. The New Super Mario Bros series does this. You can see how the latest one kinda made HD graphics happen by reusing the engine over again. And judging the planned release date for this game being on next year, I really doubt that they would use a brand new engine for this since it takes a lot of time to develop one rather than for doing researching for one.

The Awakening Engine seems to be an ideal engine for Nintendo/IS to use until it has come to the point where nothing new can be added to the engine.

54 minutes ago, Harvey said:

They can reuse the engine by simply modifying the existing engines. The New Super Mario Bros series does this. You can see how the latest one kinda made HD graphics happen by reusing the engine over again. And judging the planned release date for this game being on next year, I really doubt that they would use a brand new engine for this since it takes a lot of time to develop one rather than for doing researching for one.

The Awakening Engine seems to be an ideal engine for Nintendo/IS to use until it has come to the point where nothing new can be added to the engine.

To address the first point, FE 9 engine was developed in a year as well (though probably both that suppose a new engine and FE 9 were in the works all the previous games were wrapping up. To your second point the Wii U used the New Super Mario Brothers Wii Engine not the DS Engine, the Wii and Wii U are based off some more hardware so adding to HD touch was easy. Also the models in the New Super Mario brothers games weren't that bad at all so that HD touch were all they needed. 

The 3DS engine on the other hand is works on the Tech that is really different from the Switch  like fundamentally so for the 3DS (which doesn't have things like dynamic shaders). Especially when it comes to games that are 3-D just look at the differences that had to be made to make things like Hyrule warriors happen on the 3DS, Intelligent systems would spend far more time upgrading this engine to have models so they wouldn't be objectively ugly in HD, then they would if they just created a new one imo. Because in order for the models to reach a level that is acceptable for a console they would have to work on it until you wouldn't be able to recognize that it was the awakening engine by the time they were done. This is why it's really unprecedented for a handheld engine to be applied to a big AAA console game. 

I say this because even his day people though FE 9 was ugly. I just don't think it be good for sales if IS just did an upgraded 3DS game engine. I hope that they a least put effort into making this look at least about as good as XCOM. 

Edited by Locke087

Seems like they're going all out with Switch stuff, so maybe we'll get a new engine. Fire Emblem certainly isn't going to die anytime soon now. Whatever they do, I hope it's as quality as the Tellius games. Undoubtedly, they'll look amazing at least.

3 hours ago, Locke087 said:

To address the first point, FE 9 engine was developed in a year as well (though probably both that suppose a new engine and FE 9 were in the works all the previous games were wrapping up. To your second point the Wii U used the New Super Mario Brothers Wii Engine not the DS Engine, the Wii and Wii U are based off some more hardware so adding to HD touch was easy. Also the models in the New Super Mario brothers games weren't that bad at all so that HD touch were all they needed. 

The 3DS engine on the other hand is works on the Tech that is really different from the Switch  like fundamentally so for the 3DS (which doesn't have things like dynamic shaders). Especially when it comes to games that are 3-D just look at the differences that had to be made to make things like Hyrule warriors happen on the 3DS, Intelligent systems would spend far more time upgrading this engine to have models so they wouldn't be objectively ugly in HD, then they would if they just created a new one imo. Because in order for the models to reach a level that is acceptable for a console they would have to work on it until you wouldn't be able to recognize that it was the awakening engine by the time they were done. This is why it's really unprecedented for a handheld engine to be applied to a big AAA console game. 

I say this because even his day people though FE 9 was ugly. I just don't think it be good for sales if IS just did an upgraded 3DS game engine. I hope that they a least put effort into making this look at least about as good as XCOM. 

What do you think New Super Mario Bros Wii is? A modified engine of New Super Mario Bros for the DS. Nintendo will just keep reusing game engines until it has come to a point that they need to use a new game engine.

Just because the 3DS lacks the tech to make powerful graphics doesn't mean Nintendo can't use the 3DS game engines and modify it. For whatever Fates and Awakening(and mostly echoes) will lack in, they can just modify the game engine to make sure that the visuals are enhanced and made better.

FE9 was a rushed game having terrible graphics to the point that even Nintendo admits that it was not even a finished game. And no, the game was made in two years since Blazing sword was released in Japan at 2003 and Japan is where the games are coming at. It is stupid to think that Echoes could be made within a year since it reuses the Awakening engine because again, Fates was released in 2015 in Japan so it would be possible to release Echoes within two years.

Still not here? Ok let's take Binding Blade which was released in 2002. How would you think Blazing Sword happened to be made within the next year? By simply remodifying Binding Blade's engine and besides some graphical enhancements, it plays exactly like Binding Blade only more polished and well...less brutal.

And since the new FE game is planned to be released next year, I'm willing to bet that it has to be a remake of an old game. IS doesn't have a lot of staff for production for one thing.and simply announcing something this early is more of a chance that the game will most likely be delayed...kinda like how Botw ended up being.

The suspense of belief that they would release a brand new FE game on switch next is dumb because that is most likely not gonna happen unless they either do a remake of an old game or that they reuse a game engine from the 3DS and modify it. That is the only possible theory of how the new FE could happen next year.

Now I can also be entirely wrong on this and that maybe Nintendo seeing how FE is now a "Major" IP to them and seeing how Nintendo has merged its known divisions EAD and SPD and made it together as EPD, they would provide a lot of resources for IS to develop the next FE game as a side thing as well but given how IS isn't really upto date on deadlines(atleast from what I hear around here) I just have the possible feeling that it is mostly going to be delayed simply because of two reasons.

1. If it is a new custom engine from scratch, IS needs to be very sure that it needs to be done right and making these kind of games are very complex as well.

2. Even if the game is done, there's a very good chance that NoA would delay the game to the western market for censoring reasons since we all know what NoA has done to the western release of Fates so the game will still be released around 2019.

Edited by Harvey

I imagine they're use a new engine. Not like there's anything wrong with the 3DS engine, I just imagine that they'll use a new engine that fits the Switch better.

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

What do you think New Super Mario Bros Wii is? A modified engine of New Super Mario Bros for the DS. Nintendo will just keep reusing game engines until it has come to a point that they need to use a new game engine.

Just because the 3DS lacks the tech to make powerful graphics doesn't mean Nintendo can't use the 3DS game engines and modify it. For whatever Fates and Awakening(and mostly echoes) will lack in, they can just modify the game engine to make sure that the visuals are enhanced and made better.

FE9 was a rushed game having terrible graphics to the point that even Nintendo admits that it was not even a finished game. And no, the game was made in two years since Blazing sword was released in Japan at 2003 and Japan is where the games are coming at. It is stupid to think that Echoes could be made within a year since it reuses the Awakening engine because again, Fates was released in 2015 in Japan so it would be possible to release Echoes within two years.

Still not here? Ok let's take Binding Blade which was released in 2002. How would you think Blazing Sword happened to be made within the next year? By simply remodifying Binding Blade's engine and besides some graphical enhancements, it plays exactly like Binding Blade only more polished and well...less brutal.

And since the new FE game is planned to be released next year, I'm willing to bet that it has to be a remake of an old game. IS doesn't have a lot of staff for production for one thing.and simply announcing something this early is more of a chance that the game will most likely be delayed...kinda like how Botw ended up being.

The suspense of belief that they would release a brand new FE game on switch next is dumb because that is most likely not gonna happen unless they either do a remake of an old game or that they reuse a game engine from the 3DS and modify it. That is the only possible theory of how the new FE could happen next year.

Now I can also be entirely wrong on this and that maybe Nintendo seeing how FE is now a "Major" IP to them and seeing how Nintendo has merged its known divisions EAD and SPD and made it together as EPD, they would provide a lot of resources for IS to develop the next FE game as a side thing as well but given how IS isn't really upto date on deadlines(atleast from what I hear around here) I just have the possible feeling that it is mostly going to be delayed simply because of two reasons.

1. If it is a new custom engine from scratch, IS needs to be very sure that it needs to be done right and making these kind of games are very complex as well.

2. Even if the game is done, there's a very good chance that NoA would delay the game to the western market for censoring reasons since we all know what NoA has done to the western release of Fates so the game will still be released around 2019.

I will quickly address this I was gonna do some comparison shots and stuff but the photos on the forum work really weird now (they appear like way below the post).

To your first point I highly doubt that the Wii game is working at the DS engine but we will never know for sure as Nintendo isn't very open with there for development practices, but here's the reason why I think it's new engine.  The Mario Maker 3DS port is working off the New Super Mario Brothers U Engine in it's theme not the New Super Mario Brothers 2 engine which looks a lot better on the 3DS. This leads me to believe that the New Super Mario Brothers 2 engine is based off the DS game, and that Wii use its own engine, which is further solidified by having four players and models of completely different sizes. Otherwise the 3DS port's New Super Mario Brothers U theme have would had parity with the New Super Mario Brothers 2 as both would've been built using the same engine.

Yeah I was gonna go include pictures for the next point but see the top. In order to get a 3DS game engine to work here they would have to him have it looking as different as Color splash and Sticker Star do to one another and if those games are running on the same engine bravo because that is a lot of upgrading. So even if it is the same engine you're not even gonna be able to recognize it afterwards.  

In my opinion it be easier for them to work off the Radiant Dawn if they were trying to use an existing engine. They only need to upgrade a bit more rather than re-hauling all the assets and I'm sure that they would they could speed up the engine as well.  But Since the switch is what they're going to be the Console they are working on the most in the future investing in a Switch engine would be a wise move for them. Rather than limiting themselves in the future by upgrading an old engine.  And is the loose 2018 date it very well probably is going to be delayed this is just a placeholder date rather than anything hard. It should be noted as well that they directly said this is a new game so I highly doubt this is a remake.

But in the end this all conjecture Nintendo is so secretive with all their development practices, that in the end we never know what things are actually on the same engines we're just making educated guesses. 

Edited by Locke087

I hope for the sake of expediting development that they are able to reuse things they definitely want to remain. Dunno what constitutes a new engine if the rules remain the same. Pokemon Stadium on N64 was built from scratch to emulate the Gameboy's engine. Some new bugs got through, but can you really call it a new engine when there's almost nothing changed mechanically? Similarly, do the GBA games and PoR really have a different engine? I'm only imagining code translations for whatever the GC is capable of reading, and a new set of graphics and animation. The DS games made one major change for attack speed where it takes into account strength instead of the speed stat. But I'm certain the most accomplished GBA Romhackers could create the same system easily in that engine if they wanted. Ditto if they wanted to remove "attack speed" entirely to match the 3DS games, just give each character max Con and then hide the stat visually from their status.

Edit: oops, it was PoR that made the first attack speed change, not shadow dragon, I misremembered.

Edited by Gustavos

11 hours ago, Locke087 said:

To your first point I highly doubt that the Wii game is working at the DS engine but we will never know for sure as Nintendo isn't very open with there for development practices, but here's the reason why I think it's new engine.  The Mario Maker 3DS port is working off the New Super Mario Brothers U Engine in it's theme not the New Super Mario Brothers 2 engine which looks a lot better on the 3DS. This leads me to believe that the New Super Mario Brothers 2 engine is based off the DS game, and that Wii use its own engine, which is further solidified by having four players and models of completely different sizes. Otherwise the 3DS port's New Super Mario Brothers U theme have would had parity with the New Super Mario Brothers 2 as both would've been built using the same engine.

If that is the case, then how is it that Kirby Triple Deluxe reuses the game engine that is the Wii game Kirby's return to dreamland? Even better, how is it that Yoshi's Wolly World was able to be ported just fine on the 3DS after releasing it to the Wii U?

These simple facts alone just prove that either the 3DS is good enough to port games if effort is made or that Nintendo is WILLING to make effort so that the game engine can work on the 3DS as well. 

I agree with the rest of the stuff that in the end, its all top secret and we don't know for certain but what we do know is that Nintendo will reuse existing game engines when it does inorder to reduce production costs and that is for certain.

I suspect given the price point of the console and the fact its an HD console that they'll likely use a new engine. Sure certain things like pair up and stances will remain but if people are paying 300USD for a console they'll expect console level looks and presentation which they quite frankly should. I know its a console portable hybrid but I think its safe to say with the Wii U being discontinued forthe Switch that this is in all inents and purposes its successor.  I do honestly hope it does well too and think it has a shot at doing so given Fire Emblems better positioning and marketing now in days.

• 1 month later...

I think the switch games have heavy Tellius inspiration, so they will probably make the game from scratch with 3d models on the overworld and all. But I wouldn't doubt borrowing some code from the 3ds games to make the whole game programming less painful.

• 6 months later...