Arms

Anacybele

So, Nintendo's new fighting IP for the Switch. This is the first time since...I don't know when that I've been this interested in a new IP from Nintendo. Wonderful 101? Meh, never looked interesting to me. Splatoon? Still looks like garbage to me and I don't like shooters much anyway.

But Arms, given my general liking for fighting games, originality/innovation, and sometimes more cartoony graphics, looks fun and unique! The more I hear about it, the more I want to try it myself! I'm highly considering buying it. But there's just one little problem. And it's not the fault of the game itself, really. Will I have enough people to play it with if one-player mode isn't as fun as multiplayer? I definitely hope one-player mode is fun, but games like this are just about always more fun when you play with friends.

If the price for online gameplay is fair, of course I'll use that sometimes, but how many people will be playing it? I'd also like to find people to play it with in person too.

Are others here interested in it? Which characters do you like best so far? For me, Ribbon Girl (super cute) and Ninjaro (looks cool, and his ponytail is a shuriken omg) all the way. I'd love to see one of them in Smash if somehow they could be balanced despite obviously ridiculous attack range.

Edited by Anacybele

TBH, Arms is the game that interested me the least in the presentation. I don't think it is bad, but I wouldn't spend 70€ on a game like that. Even if there's a story, an entire game focused on a simple gimmick seems pretty bland and empty. I mean, at least 1-2 Switch has different mini-games, seems more fun, better exploits the different technologies, etc. I'm not especially a fan of the game design either, but everyone has different tastes.

If it was offered with the Switch like Wii Sports, why not, but I won't buy it.

Since you're asking, Ribbon girl.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Thing is, that's the same exact view I have on 1-2-Switch. It's the new thing that excited me the least. The concept of it is fine, it's that almost none of the mini-games that were shown from it look fun at all. You barely do anything in them.

At least in Arms you're constantly tapping buttons and thrusting your controller forward to punch and stuff, as you typically do in a fighting game.

But this thread is not for people that don't want the game, I'm looking for people who DO. So please go away if you don't like it.

Arms is one of those games where I want it, but likely won't end up getting it due to "higher priority games" like the new Zelda. It looks like a lot of fun and it the graphics look great as well. Would love to see more of this game.

Edited by Power Master
Didn't mean to hit save

3 minutes ago, Brand_Of_The_Exalt said:

But you asked if we were interested :(:

Exactly. I didn't ask if people were UNinterested or disliked it... Which means I'm looking for people who do like it.

4 minutes ago, Power Master said:

Arms is one of those games where I want it, but likely won't end up getting it due to "higher priority games" like the new Zelda. It looks like a lot of fun and it the graphics look great as well. Would love to see more of this game.

Yeah, same here, kind of. Depending on when this game and Mario Kart releases and stuff, I may have higher-priority stuff to buy first. But I probably will eventually get Arms.

Edited by Anacybele

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Splatoon? Still looks like garbage to me...

No need to be harsh on a game you didn't play. It's an 8/10, at least a 7; I kid you not. I don't even really like team games. I'd rather play it than that Overwatch thing with the loot boxes. Mostly because I already bought it and it has a single-player mode, but also because the squid/ink mechanics are fun.

Anyways, Arms. It looks interesting. If it has a sh**ton of modes like Smash Bros., it'll probably be a new multiplayer hit for Nintendo. I like that the Pro Controller is supported. By the way, if this topic is about Arms, then in the nature of good discussion, criticism/disinterest about it should be tolerated. Or else.

5 minutes ago, Zera said:

No need to be harsh on a game you didn't play. It's an 8/10, at least a 7;

No need to try to get me to change my mind either? I'm honestly getting tired of you trying to force your preferred games on people and acting like our opinions are wrong. I never said anything to you about this before because I didn't want to cause trouble, and I still don't want to, but you've about crossed the line.

This thread's not about Splatoon, it's about Arms. And yeah, I know some people won't like the game and will have criticisms and such with it, but this thread is mainly for those who are interested in it and for it to potentially become a hub for setting up matches a la Smash Bros. matchup threads.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm not interested really but that's because outside of smash I'm not really interested in fighters at all (and I think Smash 4 was an unimprovement).

I'm super friggin' hyped for this game and the lore it will bring. Already from just the demo we have seen many eerie and cool details in the lab stage.
The gameplay looks fun and the characters are amazing, pure Nintendo madness. Ninjara so far is my favorite (cuzz he is hawt!!1!1 and cool), but I also like Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. I hope it will have at least the same amount of single player content as Punch-Out!! on the Wii.

Arms looks fun. I'm glad to see more new IPs from Nintendo, especially since how much I adored Splatoon. I can only hope we get even more unique ideas from Nintendo moving forward.

I'd like to see more about the differences in gameplay between the characters before I choose a favorite.

Also Ana, you need to chill. You made a claim, and someone's rebutting against it. I don't mean to be sassy, but that's how conversations work.

Edited by Almerson

I am not all that interested in Arms, from what I see it lacks some things that I would like to see in a game with this kind of art style. Maybe some guns, and more objective based combat, something along the lines of using colour (since the game is so bright and colourful) to mark your territory on the map. I also hope there will be an octopus based character, that would be sweet!

When I see more, I might become interested, as it stands now, the game looks rather lame.

Arms looks like what Splatoon liked like to me when it was revealed (what... how... why... huh); in general, it also feels like an overhauled Punch-Out.

Not of terrible interest to me, but I hope it does well enough.

Edited by The DanMan

The game's got a cracking aesthetic, and it looks fun to watch, but I'm not sure if it's something I'd personally enjoy playing. I'm not going to get the Switch on release, though, so I can always wait and make a decision long after the game comes out. I'd be interested in watching it if it ever manages to go competitive.

36 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

I am not all that interested in Arms, from what I see it lacks some things that I would like to see in a game with this kind of art style. Maybe some guns, and more objective based combat, something along the lines of using colour (since the game is so bright and colourful) to mark your territory on the map. I also hope there will be an octopus based character, that would be sweet!

When I see more, I might become interested, as it stands now, the game looks rather lame.

Are you trolling me? Because you're describing Splatoon. Go play that game if you want what you're talking about.

Seems like almost no one wants Arms and that's pretty sad. :(

No, and I'd like to not be considered a troll the moment I post in a topic if that's okay with you.

As of now, Arms to me only looks like a game where you literally ONLY throw punches. It's wii boxin with a new lick of paint and the characters are able to move, oh, and they are further apart. The punches, even the twists you mix in, are pretty much the same except now they are projectiles instead of melee based. The trailer showed a ninja, so someone who shoots a gun wouldn't be weird to me at all. They're even called fireARMS.

Adding zone control would create further depth as a game mode, since now you have to worry not only about dodging, but more about blocking correctly, since otherwise you lose turf. 

Arms currently has none of these, or other interesting attributes to me, so I'll pass on the game for now. I don't need a glorified Wii boxing personally.

So please don;t be so inconsiderate by just assuming I'm here only to troll when you're replying, I'd appreciate that.

Edited by Vicious Sal

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Seems like almost no one wants Arms and that's pretty sad. :(

It's a brand new IP with very little known about it yet. The exact same happened with Splatoon, and that turned into one of the best games on the Wii U.

It honestly not surprising that people are being skeptical about it for the moment. If you've noticed, most people have said they might like it more once we get more info.

Edited by Almerson

4 minutes ago, Almerson said:

It's a brand new IP with very little known about it yet. The exact same happened with Splatoon, and that turned into one of the best games on the Wii U.

It honestly not surprising that people are being skeptical about it for the moment. If you've noticed, most people have said they might like it more once we get more info.

From what I remember, Splatoon got a lot of hype...

EDIT: Sorry, Vicious Sal, my bad. But you described Splatoon to a T and I mentioned having zero interest in it, so I wasn't sure what else to think.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

From what I remember, Splatoon got a lot of hype...

Not until we actually knew some things about it. When it was first revealed, most people were pretty meh about it, mostly since, like Arms, all we got was a small intro without any fine details. Of course, as with Arms, there was a minority that already loved the game, which we both happen to be a part of in the case of Arms.

Splatoon may also have a bit more hype for being a genre Nintendo rarely jumped into, plus being their first new IP in a long time, whereas Arms is simply riding along Splatoon's tracks of being a new IP and a unique idea.

Just a reminder that Arms has only existed in the eyes of the public for about 4-5 days. Give it some time, since not everyone is going to hop into the hype train right away.

Edited by Almerson

1 hour ago, Vicious Sal said:

No, and I'd like to not be considered a troll the moment I post in a topic if that's okay with you.

As of now, Arms to me only looks like a game where you literally ONLY throw punches. It's wii boxin with a new lick of paint and the characters are able to move, oh, and they are further apart. The punches, even the twists you mix in, are pretty much the same except now they are projectiles instead of melee based. The trailer showed a ninja, so someone who shoots a gun wouldn't be weird to me at all. They're even called fireARMS.

Adding zone control would create further depth as a game mode, since now you have to worry not only about dodging, but more about blocking correctly, since otherwise you lose turf. 

Arms currently has none of these, or other interesting attributes to me, so I'll pass on the game for now. I don't need a glorified Wii boxing personally.

So please don;t be so inconsiderate by just assuming I'm here only to troll when you're replying, I'd appreciate that.

You can customize any fighters to change which Gloves you want instead of the default ones for any characters before starting the battle, there's the boomerange, tornados, Spark, etc. Besides that there should be more since we only did seen just the demo from the Treehouse event and other Gameplay footages.

Besides that, I really like Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, I am not entirely about the other 3 yet. I am definitely getting Arms on Spring.

Edited by King Marth 64

• 2 weeks later...

Arms looks fun, really fun actually. At first I saw the trailer and thought "meh, just a casual's game", but later I saw it on the live stream and a few videos from YouTube channels at the New York event and I realized how my first Impression may have been lacking.

The good old fighting game tradition of blocks beat attacks, attacks beat grabs, grabs beat blocks is definitely present, the characters all have small traits making each of them unique in some way, and the different arm types that can be mixed and matched looks like strategizing and knowing the game's mechanics well will be crucial for victory.

I won't be able to get a switch for a while, but when I do Arms is definitely on my hit list. Because I can always dig a new fighting game.

Spoiler

Even if I suck at them.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

Doesn't look like a particularly deep fighting game (hardly looks like a fighting game at all, really) but it might be fun with friends a couple times. Like wii sports boxing, but on psychedelics. Wouldn't put down the money for a full game for ARMS, though. Maybe at half price or something? I don't see it as much more than a neat trick, though.