Dean or Sonia?

Rend Keaven

I'm currently playing FE2 for the first time and have just conquered the Desert Fortress and have encountered this games Aaron and Samson, Dean and Sonia. I plan on choosing Sonia since I already have Saber and Kamui promoted. That being said, I wonder what you folks would like to know which you consider is better of the two.

Sonia, since her spell set is, from what I've heard, good.

And considering you already promoted Kamui and Saber, I don't think there's much of a reason to recruit Dean, unless you want another promoted Swordfighter.

2 minutes ago, CappnRob said:

But Sonia is perfect because Nergal told her so while Dean is not

On a more serious note, I prefer Sonia: she has decent growth rates for Gaiden standards and her bases aren't even that bad while Dean has to deal with other mercenaries such as Kamui and Saber, who joins before, are more useful in general and tend to become better in the long run.

Dean is better and it's not even really close.

The later part of the game (read: right after Sonia joins) is miserable with its huge maps with bumpy terrain, which are both horrible for Sonia and her 4 move. She has trouble doing much of anything at all late game without the magic ring, which Norma uses almost identically without costing you Dean. Sure, her bases look good for her level and her growths are good, but she's going to have trouble gaining many levels without grinding and her promotion might as well not exist. You might even look into having a mercenary go demon fighter > villager > mage instead if you want a high stat mage. Promoting at level 20 is just that slow.

Dean meanwhile is a welcome addition to any of my teams. Sure, you might already be using Saber and Kamui or even both, but Demon Fighter is one of the best classes in the game and you have a wealth of powerful swords to spread among them (Demon Sword, Holy Sword, and Dean's already equipped Hero Sword). Demon Fighters also have high movement, letting them get into the fray before the Falconknights have already killed everything, and have solid stats in all areas. The best part is Dean gets to demon fighter without much effort at all; he already joins as a level 5 hero with great stats! Honestly the only downside to him to me is that Sonia's map is more difficult than Dean's map because of the witches' teleporting shenanigans.