CrimeanRoyalKnight

Do you like Corrin?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Corrin?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm indifferent.

Okay! This is a bunch of rubbish! 

Corrin is NOT a worst character at all! S/he is not a horrible character when I played the freaking game. You know what everyone in this post? Screw you! Corrin is NOT a bad protagonist at all, s/he is a good character.

Edited by StarWarrior

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/17/2017 at 9:52 AM, Res said:

I'm really disappointed in the lack of impact Corrin being half-dragon had on anything. Beyond the initial transformation, it's not relevant to the plot, it's never brought up by other characters, it doesn't feature in any of Corrin's supports... it'd have been great to see people being intimidated by Corrin's dragon form, or having it affect how Corrin's siblings viewed Corrin, or having questions raised/answered ('oh, so THAT's why your ears look like that! I always thought there was something odd about you'). So much wasted potential - why even bother giving Corrin those abilities? 

There's a mention of Kana's/Corrin's draconic features in Rhajat's and Male!Kana's supports. Plus, it's mostly Kana who gets his/her dragon side emphasized to an extent in their supports with the other children. 

I like Corrin, to an extent. Which is mostly Anankos and Mikoto related. They're cute, despite their non-existent character growth.

Each Corrin in the three routes are meant to be different people (Sila's mention of their favorite food would imply IS had hoped that it would get that point across).

Considering the main cast all fills a niche via their job in the army (on the battlefield and off), their rank in the army, and how they interact with each other in the army. What sort of niche should Corrin have filled?

Edited by Raumata

I really tried to like him but I just couldn't. There is just so much wrong with him, so much unnecessary pandering and the fact he is so far from being a representation of an avatar.

He is the sole reason Fates is my least favourite FE. 

8 hours ago, StarWarrior said:

Okay! This is a bunch of rubbish! 

Corrin is NOT a worst character at all! S/he is not a horrible character when I played the freaking game. You know what everyone in this post? Screw you! Corrin is NOT a bad protagonist at all, s/he is a good character.

Saying "screw you" in an extremely aggressive manner to anyone who doesn't like what you do earns no maturity points.

Anyway, I don't think I have given my opinion here even though it's rather well known.  I cannot stand any of the self insert characters.  Corrin is worshipped in story far more than they deserve, they don't develop out of their never even noted flaws, s/he kills thousands of innocents without selfawareness despite having magical spare everyone powers, and they screw their siblings in a spectacular display of bad priorities on IS's part.

I made him Roy food in Heroes, and have no regrets whatsoever for doing so.

Really wish I could've given a care about Mikoto dying. Getting snippets of information being told to Corrin from other characters about his/her mother, instead of being shown. #blameTakumi Just kidding. 

Oooh. I really want to see if anyone has created an alt outfit /design for Corrin that they think is fitting for the setting and his/her personality. To be clear, this is just for fun. I like Corrin's current outfit.

Whether they chose to ignore their draconic heritage in favor of establishing Corrin as Sumeragi's actual son/daughter or making them more like their dragon father or taking more inspiration from their mother. 

Edited by Raumata

Do you guys think the tone of the Fates game (all three routes) is a factor in displaying Corrin's personality?

What could've been done to improve said tone? Do you think it should've had one mood or be (like reality often is) shifting?

Can you all tell what's being conveyed (like when something's funny or sad [The various deaths in Fates] or is it really coming from nowhere? 

Thinking it over, the criticisms of Fates story for all three routes is well deserved.

Edited by Raumata

Okay, I don't necessarily LIKE him. Actually I hate him, though since I'm a very sympathetic person who forgives a lot, I'm indifferent. If I had to choose, though, I 100% hate him. For every reason everyone basically listed already. Dumb decisions, incredibly stupid moments, the fact that he is an avatar, etc. But I don't hate him to the extent that Fates' story was ruined because of him, it's more about how everyone else acts along with Corrin, so at least I can give him that. It's not entirely his fault (*cough* Xander *cough*) and his supports give him SOMEWHAT of a likeability (though nothing special compared to say Elise or Azura's supports, despite them having way less supports under their belt), though how little that likeability is. At least half of his supports in my opinion are just godawful for me personally, though I do somewhat like some of them to make me care about him in a way.

If other characters have made better actions, then maybe Corrin wouldn't be so bad (example being that basically every character in Fates turns Corrins naivete into a strength of all things) but due to both how he/she acted and how other characters reacted, yes, he's a bad character and I dislike him. However, I can definitely see how one can like him.

Really wish IS could of delved into more of the mythology of Corrin's dragon side, since he/she is the son/daughter of Anankos. Perhaps delved into what this character was/wasn't good at and the like. 

If IS wanted to go with a literal Avatar (with a Qilin influence in Corrin's case), then Aang (AtLA) is a good representation of that concept, since he's the human personification of the planet.

Edited by Raumata

I don't like Corrin at all.

To me, Corrin is an irresponsible person who doesn't deserve to be the leader of an army.

Most of its actions put his family and friends at risk thanks to his naivety. The best example is obviously him trusting Anthony in Revelations which could have lead to his own death and to the deaths of the people he cares. His siblings also don't want to see him growing up and learning from his mistakes for whatever reasons.

Multiple innocent people were killed in Conquest because of him.
He also has no problem following Garon's orders and also doesn't seem to believe that he is evil since he is shocked when Azura said that Garon was evil. Also him opposing Garon just because he is a monster and not a human, is stupid. If he were still human or if he never knew his identity in Conquest, he would have probably continued to follow blindly his orders. 

Of course he is not the only one responsible for all the problems in Fates. We can also thank Azura and Xander obviously, and the other siblings like I mentioned earlier.

I must admit that I have less problems with Birthright Corrin though since he does less stupid things in that route.

2 hours ago, Raumata said:

Do you guys think the tone of the Fates game (all three routes) is a factor in displaying Corrin's personality?

What could've been done to improve said tone? Do you think it should've had one mood or be (like reality often is) shifting?

Can you all tell what's being conveyed (like when something's funny or sad [The various deaths in Fates] or is it really coming from nowhere? 

Thinking it over, the criticisms of Fates story for all three routes is well deserved.

The tone of the Fates game is not particulary a problem for Corrin imo.

The main problem is how he is forgiven/believed and loved by pretty much all the non-villain characters which is not realistic and doesn't work.

The funny moments of Fates mainly happen in the supports and in the paralogues and not in the main story so it's not an issue.  
Most of the deaths are poorly done and quite random but the worst is that they changed nothing to the plot or to Corrin's development at all.

1 hour ago, Raumata said:

Really wish IS could of delved into more of the mythology of Corrin's dragon side, since he/she is the son/daughter of Anankos. Perhaps delved into what this character was/wasn't good at and the like. 

It sure would have helped Corrin's development and the worldbuilding. It would have also helped to sympathise with Lilith more. 

Also showing to the player flashbacks about Corrin's childhood with his siblings would have helped as well. 

I don't like him/her as an Avatar, but I like his/her design

Edited by Pixelman

I'm pretty meh on Corrin as a whole. I have no strong feelings on them either way; I definitely think there are far better lords in the series, but I also never really fell in love with Robin or Chrom, for example, and have nothing but apathy for them a lot of the time. Going off of that, I just plain don't understand the sheer amount of vitriol and hate that many people have for Corrin, because in my experience they never did anything particularly offensive that can't be excused as Fates' somewhat sub-par overall writing, but eh. Maybe it's because all of my dislike for an Avatar character (and the one that exemplifies the problems with badly-written Avatars in general) is funneled into FE12's Kris.

People say Corrin is a spotlight-stealer and has the entire plot/other characters revolve around them and adore them, but I'd argue that it was intended that way. At the very least, Corrin was written from the start to be the main character of the game and the most important (with the power to decide the fate of the kingdoms on the continent, as well as being the essentially demigod child of a crazy god-dragon), unlike Kris, who was a "normal dude" shoved into a story that already existed so that the world could bend over backwards praising them while calling the actual main character weak and useless, and then proceeded to steal all of the focus and thunder from the actual main character. Just...eugh. But yeah, done talking about Kris.

Like people have said above, Corrin really is three distinct characters depending on the path, barring a few consistent traits that they show. They're generally kind and compassionate, idealistic and sweet, which is fine and an okay character at base, but we've already seen that in FE, with Marth, Eliwood, Eirika, and to an extent Ike (without so much of the sweetness).

Corrin on the Conquest path was pretty annoying, in my opinion, just because of the constant whining about being Garon's attack dog, while refusing to stand up to his more insane orders (though in all fairness, all of the Nohrian siblings fall victim to this one). Stop angsting about doing awful things, and actually change it! Worst version of Corrin in my opinion.

Birthright Corrin was just fine, though, and would definitely have to be my favorite version of Corrin. I actually liked them sticking it to the obviously and cartoonishly evil Garon, and helping out the clearly best, non-selfish choice (a problem in a game which is meant to invoke "neither choice is the right one). They came off as generally heroic in a way that I appreciated.

Revelation Corrin is...alright, in my opinion, and much more tolerable than the Conquest one, though I still think the Birthright path one is the best written overall.

On a side and somewhat less important note, I did always want a Manakete lord in the series, but Corrin's pretty clearly nerfed dragon form didn't...really do it for me.

Edited by Extrasolar

On 3/24/2017 at 1:02 PM, Torappu said:

Okay, I don't necessarily LIKE him. Actually I hate him, though since I'm a very sympathetic person who forgives a lot, I'm indifferent. If I had to choose, though, I 100% hate him. For every reason everyone basically listed already. Dumb decisions, incredibly stupid moments, the fact that he is an avatar, etc. But I don't hate him to the extent that Fates' story was ruined because of him, it's more about how everyone else acts along with Corrin, so at least I can give him that. It's not entirely his fault (*cough* Xander *cough*) and his supports give him SOMEWHAT of a likeability (though nothing special compared to say Elise or Azura's supports, despite them having way less supports under their belt), though how little that likeability is. At least half of his supports in my opinion are just godawful for me personally, though I do somewhat like some of them to make me care about him in a way.

If other characters have made better actions, then maybe Corrin wouldn't be so bad (example being that basically every character in Fates turns Corrins naivete into a strength of all things) but due to both how he/she acted and how other characters reacted, yes, he's a bad character and I dislike him. However, I can definitely see how one can like him.

No! Corrin is NOT a bad character at all. He/she is a decent Character/Lord and you are just a freaking hater. She doesn't do any stupid things in the game. And you know what!? How about you can go choke yourself for hating Corrin, he/she is NOT a bad character!

On 3/24/2017 at 3:34 PM, Thunderstar said:

I don't like Corrin at all.

To me, Corrin is an irresponsible person who doesn't deserve to be the leader of an army.

Most of its actions put his family and friends at risk thanks to his naivety. The best example is obviously him trusting Anthony in Revelations which could have lead to his own death and to the deaths of the people he cares. His siblings also don't want to see him growing up and learning from his mistakes for whatever reasons.

Multiple innocent people were killed in Conquest because of him.
He also has no problem following Garon's orders and also doesn't seem to believe that he is evil since he is shocked when Azura said that Garon was evil. Also him opposing Garon just because he is a monster and not a human, is stupid. If he were still human or if he never knew his identity in Conquest, he would have probably continued to follow blindly his orders. 

Of course he is not the only one responsible for all the problems in Fates. We can also thank Azura and Xander obviously, and the other siblings like I mentioned earlier.

I must admit that I have less problems with Birthright Corrin though since he does less stupid things in that route.

The tone of the Fates game is not particulary a problem for Corrin imo.

The main problem is how he is forgiven/believed and loved by pretty much all the non-villain characters which is not realistic and doesn't work.

The funny moments of Fates mainly happen in the supports and in the paralogues and not in the main story so it's not an issue.  
Most of the deaths are poorly done and quite random but the worst is that they changed nothing to the plot or to Corrin's development at all.

It sure would have helped Corrin's development and the worldbuilding. It would have also helped to sympathise with Lilith more. 

Also showing to the player flashbacks about Corrin's childhood with his siblings would have helped as well. 

Corrin is not irresponsible, nor a bad character at all. He/she is a good character.

Edited by StarWarrior

I dislike corrin. Mostly for what they are in fates.

Avatar + lord + wish fufilment attempt. Doesn't justify their position of military leader/tactician the way Chrom and Robin did respectively.

Doesn't Chrom trust Robin right off the bat?

Edited by Lyon's Dirge

Oh hey, I don't think I ever gave an answer!

Anyway, It Depends:

- Role in the story: Why are we giving someone who was basically imprisoned their entire lives the reigns to an army?  I would've liked more decisions a la Conquest Chapter 16, so that it would feel more like a self-insert, as opposed to another customizable character.
- Aesthetic: F!Corrin needs pants.  Both need shoes.  But otherwise, not bad.
- Supports: Bore me.
- Actual character: I think Corrin's personality would've worked a lot better if he/she was a supporting character.  Marth wasn't quite this naive, and worked because his supporting cast had experience, and gave him advice which he sometimes listened to!
- Heroes: I adore them.  Yato gives +4 Speed on attack, and Dark Breath is a mass debuffer.  M!Corrin is a bit of an all-rounder, while F!Corrin is more of a physical tank.  Plus, their art is pretty good.

8 hours ago, Lyon's Dirge said:

To an extent yeah, just like Tharja, while the walking weapon triangle Frederick didn't. Still felt more organic than Corrin becoming a tactician/leader of the army just because the plot demands it.

Awakening's plot at least addressed the mystery of Robin being so good at tactics, and Robin demonstrates that ability in the plot, and occasional support convo.

It's believable that Chrom would be a leader because he's lead the shepards before the story even starts, clearly has experience, and familiar to his comrades to the point he mostly forgoes his royal title around them.

Corrin is just qualified for the job after being locked away in a tower much of their life and no one really explains why or how besides being a person that everyone seems to love, or at least respect out of obligation because lord/retainer relationship.

I'd find it very difficult to answer the question of why Corrin is the leader. He just is, and it bugs me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2017 at 9:36 AM, Lyon's Dirge said:

Yeah, but he wasn't a total idiot about it.

Despite Chrom and Lissa's friendly attitude, the Shepherds were taking Robin with them for questioning and it's pretty much outright stated that they weren't giving him/her a choice in the matter.

When the bandits attacked That First Town (let me know if anyone gets that reference! Looking it up may be considered cheating :P), Robin had an excellent opportunity to escape, but instead decided to willingly assist the Shepherds in dispatching the bandits. That's when Chrom was all "This person is cool and shows talent, which I currently am in need of thanks to Kefka Gangrel. Gimme!".

• 3 weeks later...

to spare us all time. Yes I like Corrin. No, I think Corrin is loads of missed potential. Yes I think Corrin being a dragon should of been an important part of the story rather than the LEGENDARY SWORD OF PLOT DEVICES.

I don't like Corrin very much, in that there are several lords I like a LOT more. Now for starters as has been previously stated, I think the story should have focused a little more on Corrin's ability to turn into a dragon as he is the ONLY person with this power instead of almost forgetting about it and focusing exclusively on the Yato. I think being able to turn into a dragon should have had more bearing and a valid tactic to use but instead it loses it's effect very quickly due to not being able to double (why I don't know) and that you need a good magic stat (also why I don't know, it seems str should be the factor for this one or at least a mix of the two).

Corrin's character really doesn't develop at all unlike most previous lords, and since he's an avatar I feel we the player should have decided on Corrin's responses and effected what kind of a character he or she turned into. Do we kill or spare this boss? Do we recruit this unit? How do we respond to those conversing with us? etc And some of the decisions that Corrin makes are decisions that NO PLAYER would make. The biggest thing for me is that Corrin has been in isolation his whole life (which doesn't make any sense) and he's allowed to lead an army. Xander, joins your army and he is under Corrin's authority again, this does not make sense. Xander has been trained not only for combat but also for directing armies Corrin as far as we know has not. It doesn't make sense for Xander to join and you still be in charge when Xander is better qualified to lead.

Another thing but this is more story related instead of just being handed potentially the strongest weapon in the game Corrin has to pass a trial to acquire the Yato similar to Eliwood or Hector when they go to get the legendary sword or axe respectively. While I do not hate Corrin I like the rest of Fates' cast much better and there are other lords that I like infinitely more than Corrin. I do think Corrin had potential he or she could have been the first dragon laguz lord but the story and game instead ignored this unique attribute of Corrin's and focused exclusively on the Yato instead.

Corrin is mixed for me. I've played all the routes and sometimes corrins just wonderful but other times I'm kind of just wondering why corrin is so obviously clueless. I know they've been trapped in solitude for a long time and they're supposed to be naieve in a sense. It's just annoying at some points In the game when obviously corrin is walking blindly into something bad. I respect corrin though for sticking by what they believe in and never swaying, even if it means losing your family. A quest for peace is pretty cool.