CrimeanRoyalKnight

Do you like Corrin?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Corrin?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm indifferent.

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Corrin is mixed for me. I've played all the routes and sometimes corrins just wonderful but other times I'm kind of just wondering why corrin is so obviously clueless. I know they've been trapped in solitude for a long time and they're supposed to be naieve in a sense. It's just annoying at some points In the game when obviously corrin is walking blindly into something bad. I respect corrin though for sticking by what they believe in and never swaying, even if it means losing your family. A quest for peace is pretty cool.

I feel the same way, sometimes Corrin's decisions and lines cause me to love this character and other times I'm facepalming myself at his stupidity. Also I feel being a royal he would have been trained in war, politics and been in training to lead battalions of soldiers. In short he would have been being prepared to be a captain of the Nohrian army so the whole solitude thing never made sense to me.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOPE. Worst Lord ever oh my God his/her character was so lame. They had little personality and what they did have was mediocre, almost everyone loved them and didn't have any prominent flaws which is easily one of the worst mistakes you can make when writing a character. I mean they are naïve but they never get called out or learn and it just makes him seem spoiled and loved for no good reason whatsoever.

Design wise they looked good and the exposed feet don't bother me that much.

Edited by tumut

From a gameplay perspective, Corrin is certainly very good, though not broken. In the base Nohr Prince/cess and Noble classes, Corrin has the choice of having a powerful physical offense with their balanced personal sword the Yato, or a solid mixed defense with okay magic offense via a Dragonstone. HN leans towards physical with staff utility, while NN is glassier with a good mixed offense. On skills, Corrin gets a nifty exp boost, a powerful very early proc, the amazing debuff in Draconic Hex, plus the nice Nohrian Trust and Hoshidan Unity, only Dragon Ward is bad. Also, nice personal skill.

Though theoretically Corrin has access to nearly every class, it requires a ton of grinding to do so. Still, the ability to pick Corrin's Heart Seal class adds plenty of flexibility, and barring any weapon rank issues, they do nicely in any class as long as their boon and bane aren't totally inappropriate for that class.

Xandy and Cammy and Ryoma outdo Corrin for sure, but none of them have the availability of Corrin, and for Cammy and Ryoma at least, far less starting flexibility.

10 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

I feel the same way, sometimes Corrin's decisions and lines cause me to love this character and other times I'm facepalming myself at his stupidity. Also I feel being a royal he would have been trained in war, politics and been in training to lead battalions of soldiers. In short he would have been being prepared to be a captain of the Nohrian army so the whole solitude thing never made sense to me.

Yeah idk what the point of stealing the enemy child is if you aren't going to atleast brain wash them and make them into a weapon to fight against them. Corrin was locked away for no real reason and they barely tried to corrupt them or brain wash them.

On 5/10/2017 at 7:43 PM, Megan said:

Yeah idk what the point of stealing the enemy child is if you aren't going to atleast brain wash them and make them into a weapon to fight against them. Corrin was locked away for no real reason and they barely tried to corrupt them or brain wash them.

Did you play Revelations?

The point of the kidnapping wasn't to try to make Corrin into some weapon.

3 hours ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Did you play Revelations?

Yes I did. I didn't say it was at all. I said it could've been an advantage that was wasted by king garon. They just kept corrin locked up and then sent corrin to hoshido to practically be done away with. I have played the game thanks for asking. I stated that previously.

18 hours ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Not according to Garon in Birthright.

Garon: I should have killed you when I had the chance. When you were a mere child...

Avatar: And why didn't you, King Garon? Why... Tell me why, Father!

Garon: Because you were my most precious pawn. I knew I could use you to get Queen Mikoto.

4 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Not according to Garon in Birthright.

That's true. They were practically a bomb in the middle of a very crowded city. I don't think only queen mikoto was supposed to die. I'm sure corrin was as well and other members as well of the royal family if it were possible. 

Just a heads ups this is from a mostly Conquest perspective. I really wanted to like Corrin when I first played the game and while I don't hate him he just doesn't work for me in the end. Corrin leading the army doesn't make any sense once his older siblings join him, the story finds the stupidest loopholes to make sure he reminds the pure and innocent everyman because God forbid we have a protagonist walk the line between hero and anti-hero, and let's not forget that even though that the people he loves are dying because of his choices and he never grows or changes because of it. I kinda get why he's like this since he was raised in isolation, but I would rather have some character development if your protagonist barely has a personality to begin with. Though I did find some of his support conversations to be entertaining.

On 5/13/2017 at 5:12 AM, NekoKnight said:

Garon: I should have killed you when I had the chance. When you were a mere child...

Avatar: And why didn't you, King Garon? Why... Tell me why, Father!

Garon: Because you were my most precious pawn. I knew I could use you to get Queen Mikoto.

Although I do wonder if that refers to specifically using Corrin in the way that happened, but rather having Corrin as an ace up his sleeve to prevent Mikoto from making an aggressive maneuver. It does put an interesting spin on things if you look at it that way... 

35 minutes ago, Augestein said:

Although I do wonder if that refers to specifically using Corrin in the way that happened, but rather having Corrin as an ace up his sleeve to prevent Mikoto from making an aggressive maneuver. It does put an interesting spin on things if you look at it that way... 

A non-aggression pact: Hoshido no hurt Nohr, Nohr no hurt Corrin. Corrin symbolized a tense peace between two belligerent nations. Once they were tossed up in the air and for either nation to grab, the peace was torn to shreds. Hoshido began it's war against long endured injustices and sought to reclaim its lost child as well; whilst Nohr celebrated freedom from caring for dressing up a Hoshidan mongrel and reveled in being able to indulge its primal hunger for glory and conquest once more.

Of course I think IS probably, and sadly, literally meant the explody sword thing here.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I just don't care for Corrin actually, I don't hate them but I don't like them enough, they just... exist. I feel like they lacked something? Like I wanted to understand "why everyone in the army likes them" but I couldn't see an answer while playing. In Awakening I at least liked Robin a bit more, but for Corrin, it was hard, other characters were more interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 0:18 AM, StarWarrior said:

Okay! This is a bunch of rubbish! 

Corrin is NOT a worst character at all! S/he is not a horrible character when I played the freaking game. You know what everyone in this post? Screw you! Corrin is NOT a bad protagonist at all, s/he is a good character.

Calm the fuck down dude. Corrin is not great, but they're not bad. 

Calm the fuck down dude. Corrin is not great, but they're not bad. 

I guess you're talking to someone who doesn't even exist anymore thankfully.

Corrin is shit. The end.

This makes me want to see this thread finally locked.

Idk how much fire this thread caused because several people couldn't make objective posts and also accept them.

Edited by はたの 秦 こころ

11 hours ago, はたの 秦 こころ said:

I guess you're talking to someone who doesn't even exist anymore thankfully.

This makes me want to see this thread finally locked.

Idk how much fire this thread caused because several people couldn't make objective posts and also accept them.

I can accept the fact that some people like Corrin, I can't stand him in game, that's all

I would be surprised if anyone — having played the previous instalments generally consumed other works of fiction — could like Corrin. Mary Sue characters are always crap, let alone bratty, underdeveloped ones.

Edited by Wanda

I would be surprised if anyone, having played the previous instalments, could like Corrin. Mary Sue characters are always crap, let alone underdeveloped ones.

3 hours ago, Wanda said:

I would be surprised if anyone — having played the previous instalments generally consumed other works of fiction — could like Corrin. Mary Sue characters are always crap, let alone bratty, underdeveloped ones.

Good question.

For me, at least for me, the main thing with Corrin that I like is their general concept. The naive type that grows into a well respected leader with aid from his siblings would have been an amazing story, as well as being different. We instead got what we got, and I actually don't mind that, because Corrin's faults are mainly the people around them buttering them up without calling them out. Their character wouldn't come off as a mary sue if it wasn't for that, at least in my opinion.

Also, I don't really find this Mary Sue character to be rage inducing. I dunno why, but I just don't. I understand why others may feel different otherwise, but considering that I don't really think that FE stories are the pinnacle of writing no matter the game, I can't feel the same. Corrin also suffers from Xander syndrome: Their supports are actually better than their in game self.

That is perhaps the point: Mary Sue characters don't cause me to rage, they cause me to have no opinion at all. Mary Sue characters generally struggle to elicit a response from a player. You don't need to go full anti-hero but there need to be some flaws, vices, issues, or at least space for development so you can get invested.

I just felt indifferent 90% of the time. 

Birthright Corrin is barely relevant outside the scenes with his Nohrian siblings. Which are, incidentally, his most likable conversations. Like I know he's there leading the army on his own in the first half, but nothing stood out. Beyond Sakura & Hinoka being glad he's there its just an abyss. After Ryoma is there, it feels more like he's the protagonist and the one learning stuff and so forth while Corrin is just along for the ride.

Revelation Corrin is finally leading everything that is happening and there was potential there but it just didn't follow through. it just didnt follow through: the fire emblem fates story. There's some issues Corrin has here but most of those are related more to Fates' story contrivances than Corrin specifically. I enjoyed them trying to explain their side and everyone rightfully going "what no thats stupid, get out of here traitor" though that's not realy a point for Corrin specifically. The bridge scene was nice, I guess, but that felt a little unearned like Corrin had gone through development off screen; been a while since i saw it though.

Corrin, at least the male one, in supports is also just such a nothing character. He's kind of a busybody but most of the time does nothing interesting at all. At least with groan worthy characters there's still some fun to be found. Corrin's though, the only fun I found was his disastrous proposals (Scarlet's reaction? priceless).

Conquest Corrin is the closest I came to a concrete feeling and like most people it's hate. First half is him doing a plan without telling the player and it comes off as sooooooo, whats the word, forced? overwrought? It's probably meant to come off as naive so the events at the opera house show him the ~harsh realities~ but that opera house event is beyond stupid and it just becomes another horrible addition to the back half of the plot which is entirely corirn's fault for not teling anyone ever, going through with the world's dumbest plan and everyone just implicitly trusts him except his siblings and god i cant keep talking about conquest's plotline. Some blame could also be put on Azura for that escapade but you get the feeling she just does not even remotely care about Nohr at all and honestly, same.

It's been echoed a few times but bland protagonists, self inserts &/or "mary sue" protagonists (I dont necessarily agree on who is/isn't a MS, but eh) can still be enjoyable but Corrin just has nothing for them beyond a pretty cool design. Robin I enjoy and still enjoy. Everyone loves them, but at least they put in the effort so you can see why. And they're charming doofuses in their supports, always a plus. 

• 5 weeks later...

I been here for about a hour reading all of these comments they make sense but a lot of them are negative and are generally repeating the same thing like corrin is naive no charcter development treated like a god so I am going to list the positive things about corrin.

So fire emblem fates is my first fire emblem game and is my favorite one I love the charcters and I never really cared for plots so I love it I still play it to this day 

Corrin I would say yes he is one of my most favorite fire emblem characters  and he has a lot of potential to grow something I hope happens in fire emblem warriors 

As a avatar: (by the way I will refer to m corrin as corrin and fm corrin as kamui just makes things easier) corrin and kamui are awesome to me I like the look of corrin I was weirded out by his hair at first but I think it fits him kamui also looks great there was one comment that nickpicked their armor because of corrins collar and kamui is opening in the thigh now to kamui is thigh opening I think it's alittle bit over dramatic that people would be bothered by this. The game if I recall has a teen rating and other girls like camilla, kagero, and charleott (sorry I suck at spelling names) have way more revealing outfits. Then a opening in the thigh her nohr clothing is revealing of her underwear but if almost in nohr have revealing outfits you probably shouldn't care but then again that is my opinion

in battle: is unique and powerful I love the combination between tanking dragon and fast sword fighter he is one of my most powerful units and for me if I were to choose who have the most kills (knock out or whatever happens to these people) it would probably be him cause I always put him in the front lines and move everyone else back(Note: I will only do this in birthright and revolution because I know enemy units are way easier in both of them and I can afford to take the risk) I also prefer his nohr side do to his use of tombs over his hoshido side which I only get to heal units something I don't like to do because I farm until these people's are gods anyway the point is he is a amazing unit that I never have to worry about cause he always makes it out on Top.

Personality: I fine corrins personality ok now I will probably get a lot of hate and repiles from this (if anyone even cares anymore) but for me corrins personality makes sense at least the things people complain about like for instance he tends to complain a lot but I feel like if I were sheltered from the world for almost my whole life and forced to fight my family I would complain alot and I actually like how kind corrin is yes people in the game treat it like jesus just walked into there house and made them a sandwich but I do like on how trusting and caring he is for others and yes I read the parts of the comments about his conquest side and that does sound really bad however corrin in a few of the chapters is revealed to not kill people with the exception of the kitsunes yes many hoshidans lives were lost but most of no almost all of it was by garon something that a few people overlooked. Please correct me If I am wrong and I mean that in a "oh I got that wrong sorry" not a "and this evidence points to you being the murderer".

Side note you don't have to read this one you can just skip to the conclusion if you want to corrin's child: I'm just putting this one because kana is freaking adorable kana is another one of my best units she can't hold her own as much as corrin can at least in my playthrough but she is still useful (Note: I also use her nohr class because like father like daughter I guess) and she actually showed her usefulness when I played revolution were everyone of my units including the broken god himself ryoma were taken down (Note: it was the one were you fight surmegai ryomas father and by the time all my units were taken down it was only him left) she actually one him and I was playing in lunatic mode casual cause I'm loser and won him anyway I also find kana is childish personality adorable I didn't play awkening or have any prior knowledge of fire emblem until after fates so I was caught off guard when there was child units in the game (Note: I married felica if you are wondering I married her cause I wasn't big on the waifu idea and she got rank S with corrin cause she was a great shield against lethal attacks and she always needed to heal him cause once again I am a idiot and put him right in the middle of danger so it just earned up naturally) and I actually liked that mechanic of child units cause I like to see how much are they like there parents and there stats. (side question: does anyone else wonder why kana eyes are grey or whatever that color is I assume it's from her mother but I don't know who her canon mother is leave your theorys if you reply to this and don't say azura cause we all know that isn't true).

Conclusion: corrin is a great person if he/she was treated correctly there is a lot of missed potential and I wish the could add more character dept as more games comes out they have a majestic or terrifying depending on how you look at it and a fudging epic sword there the story would be better if they once and awhile brought up his dragon form and why he was chosen to wield the yato and if he wasn't always the center of attention or if he went through some charcter development(side note: what people never really mention is some of the side supports bring up his dragon powers and so does the trailer for smash like for instance in a support with takumis child kigura I think that is his name says how corrin has a certain presence to him and kigura is able to find him due to this "presence" so corrin actually keeps the presence at bay next time they play hide and seek or the other time (this is technically not corrin but he does have the same form) were in kigura and kana's support were kana states that "I flew over the woods too" which basically means that they have the ability to fly to bad it's not in the actual gameplay the point is let'swait for fire emblem warriors and see if they change him/her a liitle bit and if not you complain you complain the heck out of it.

EDIT: sorry if I made this personal have a habit of doing that

Edited by Kym
To clarify