Apparently Camilla's wyvern has a name? [debunked]

BANRYU

I don't have great sources onhand for this, but I'm finding out just now that Camilla's wyvern is apparently named Marzia, and was only ever mentioned in the Japanese script of the game. It's good to know for me at least, since I never knew they considered the wyvern anything more than a glorified flying chair for her (it's NEVER mentioned in the game so far as I'm aware, with Revelations being the only route I haven't played), and that always bothered me because I felt like it was missing out on a part of her character that ties to her class, as well as a lost worldbuilding opportunity for Malig Knights being a part of Nohrian magic culture and whatnot.

So I guess my question would be why was this never mentioned in the english version of the game....??

Edited by BANRYU

Nope, not even in Revelations.

Dunno why, maybe because it's more was important for the developers to focus the story on the avatar.

Edited by Nym

Even in her supports it scarcely if ever gets mentioned though. I'm not even asking for Percy/Cherche level of wyvern involvement (even though it seems like a natural part of HAVING a wyvern), but to completely omit all mention of it makes no sense IMO. 

-sigh- Maybe if they weren't so intent on making her a walking fanservice machine.... (And yeah, going off her cutscene in Birthright, LITERAL walking. Not wyvern-riding lol. Why would someone like Camilla, who uses fear to control people, NOT take advantage of the intimidation factor of a freakin' undead wyvern?)

It's not anywhere in the Japanese script from what I have seen (played the Japanese version several times). To my knowledge, the name Marziah came from a popular fanfic and was spread so much a lot of people became convinced it was the actual name.

2 minutes ago, Nanima² said:

It's not anywhere in the Japanese script from what I have seen (played the Japanese version several times). To my knowledge, the name Marziah came from a popular fanfic and was spread so much a lot of people became convinced it was the actual name.

Oh, hm. That might well be it. TBH I saw several people expressing that this might be the case, but it was still claimed that this was the case...? Well, thanks for clearing it up at any rate! x3x

Just now, CountessGardy said:

The wiki!

Yeah, but does IT give a source? =0 

So I guess this is just a thread for me to bitch about Camilla's wyvern never being acknowledged lol. Ohh wingfriends, y u no get the acknowledgement you deserve?

Just now, BANRYU said:

Oh, hm. That might well be it. TBH I saw several people expressing that this might be the case, but it was still claimed that this was the case...? Well, thanks for clearing it up at any rate! x3x

Yeah, but does IT give a source? =0 

So I guess this is just a thread for me to bitch about Camilla's wyvern never being acknowledged lol. Ohh wingfriends, y u no get the acknowledgement you deserve?

Nope. At least none that I know of.

16 minutes ago, CountessGardy said:

The wiki!

The better wiki! (which doesn't source it)

The one thing I hope we can all take from this thread is that Wikis don't have all the answers, unless they're sourcing from reputable sources. FWIW I modified a wiki on the FireEmblemWikia probably two years ago with a little inside joke, and it's still there. When anyone can edit a Wikia (like the FireEmblemWikia, not the one I linked), it makes them difficult to trust and/or rely on.

I've been googling for the last 20 minutes or so and there's absolutely no clear indication of where this name came from or why it's such a widely spread misconception. ಠ_ಠ Go figure. 

29 minutes ago, Elieson said:

The better wiki! (which doesn't source it)

The one thing I hope we can all take from this thread is that Wikis don't have all the answers, unless they're sourcing from reputable sources. FWIW I modified a wiki on the FireEmblemWikia probably two years ago with a little inside joke, and it's still there. When anyone can edit a Wikia (like the FireEmblemWikia, not the one I linked), it makes them difficult to trust and/or rely on.

As long as you don't search gameplay informations (which are here), the Wikia isn't that bad. I mean, it's a good complement to SF, it has some stuff that isn't here, like voices clips (I uploaded Peri's and Marth's :), enemies stats, descriptions for weapons, pictures (like battle models), etc.

Well the vanilla game has two units who's character revolves mainly revolves around their trusty stead, Percy(Ace) and Sophie (Avel).

I still wonder why the Wyvern's name is never mentioned, but I think the developers just wanted to push the fan service or wanted to make sure they weren't too many characters who's mounts steal the show.

31 minutes ago, Rend Keaven said:

Well the vanilla game has two units who's character revolves mainly revolves around their trusty stead, Percy(Ace) and Sophie (Avel).

I still wonder why the Wyvern's name is never mentioned, but I think the developers just wanted to push the fan service or wanted to make sure they weren't too many characters who's mounts steal the show.

Yeah and I appreciate that Sophie and Percy's trusty animal buddies get acknowledgement! Really, the same complaint with Camilla can be made of any of the Nohrian royals, or anyone else with a mount that doesn't get acknowledged whatsoever.... It's not a HUGE deal, but it just serves to make the story more anachronistic to the gameplay, and makes it harder to feel real and convincing or whatever. It's an immersion-breaker, I guess. (For me at least... I recognize that I'm picky when it comes to stuff like this lol.... ;; )

Camilla's wyvern not getting a name isn't particularly strange. I don't remember any of the pegasi or wyverns in PoR/RD getting names. It's not like Sumia's pegasus had a name in Awakening, or any of the horses either. The only mounts who get a name are probably the ones who actually have an effect in the support conversation. Like, a lot.

I wouldn't trust our competitors over at the Fire Emblem Wikia as far as I could throw a Pebble over the lake where we first meet Azura (and I'm not that good at rock-skipping).  Wikis as a whole are subject to fallacies, but quite a bit I've seen over at the Wikia takes the cake.  Last time anyone there addressed the Mariza issue on the Wikia wiki's Camilla article, back in August, it got reverted within 47 minutes on the basis of "it's in the Japanese script", without providing hard proof to back up that view, and nobody's argued it since, a kind of shoddy service you'd never see on the NIWA wiki's article ("Mariza"'s never been tried there yet, but we'd ask for hard proof if it were to get tried).  Not to mention that the Wikia once tried to fool people into thinking there was a cut Ike-Mia support in Path of Radiance (it took someone on the NIWA wiki calling it out for anyone to notice).  Or that they're still fooling people into thinking Mirages in Awakening paralogue 22 are capable of wielding Rexcalibur.  Or that they're tricking people into thinking Awakening and most of Fates have opening chapter narrations much like their predecessors.  Not to mention the difficulty one would have finding some stuff starting from the search bar, given that they rarely hatnote and don't use disambig pages in every situation they could (good luck on finding information on any of the shards of the Starsphere, especially the Leo and the Libra, on the Wikia by typing the shard's name into the search bar)...

Well, after all my research and googling, I'm fairly convinced that the name did indeed originate from that fanfiction, Heart of Snow White

I'd LIKE to get in contact with the author of the fic to ask them once and for all whether they made up the name or saw it somewhere else, but unfortunately you have to get on a waiting list in order to register for the site and frankly, #$^% that noise. So my trail ran cold there and I don't care to find out any more on it. If I could get more definitive proof I'd head around to all the erroneous sources to correct them, but sadly I don't have much to back up my claims and prove that the name came from the fic and that the fic didn't get it from the name. Oh well.

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2017 at 5:49 PM, Sunwoo said:

Camilla's wyvern not getting a name isn't particularly strange. I don't remember any of the pegasi or wyverns in PoR/RD getting names. It's not like Sumia's pegasus had a name in Awakening, or any of the horses either. The only mounts who get a name are probably the ones who actually have an effect in the support conversation. Like, a lot.

In Blazing Sword we learned that Florina's pegasus was named Huey, and Vaida's wyvern is named Umbriel (and apparently, he likes to eat books).  It's not particularly common for mounts to get named, but nor is it uncommon.  It would be nice if Camilla's mount got a name, but then we'd run the very real risk of fleshing out her personality more; and if that continued too far, people may even <gasp> start to see her as an actual character rather than as mere fan-service!

Well, think about it.

All the other Nohr royal siblings except Corrin (and even then s/he CAN have one if s/he chooses to reclass) have mounts, and to my knowledge none have names. So it comes as no surprise that her dark wyvern doesn't get a name. Maybe we should get Odin to name them 

2 hours ago, Big Smoke said:

Well, think about it.

All the other Nohr royal siblings except Corrin (and even then s/he CAN have one if s/he chooses to reclass) have mounts, and to my knowledge none have names. So it comes as no surprise that her dark wyvern doesn't get a name. Maybe we should get Odin to name them 

It's true, I was thinking about this topic the other day and how it doesn't really help that none of their mounts exist as far as the plot is concerned. 

But c'mon. Wyverns are way cooler than horses. And Malig Knights' wyverns are apparently undead or whatever?? Think of the worldbuilding potential, nevermind the character development it could add to Camilla herself. But whatever ~3~ She exists for fanservice as far as the writers are concerned lol...