First FE

Christianguy7

So, I' am sorry if this has been done before, but since about an our and half ago I saw the FE direct, and began to think how I got into FE my favorite video game series. My first FE was Awakening, I had saw some articles in game magazines about the game, and I did buy it without knowing much about the series, other then Perma-death, and Marth, Roy, Ike, and Lyn. However it quicly turned into my favorite Nintendo franchise, even beating Zelda. So what FE game got you into FE?

Back in the olden days, I first got interesting in Fire Emblem, when I played Super Smash Bros: Melee, and there were these two random guys, Marth and Roy, from a series I had never heard of.  I mained Roy in Melee, and later, I heard Fire Emblem was getting released in America.  I picked it up at release.  I've been following the series ever since.

FE7 was the first title I played for sure.

I had heard of FE on another forum, and then played it on emulator after deciding it might be good (As I have with any title before Awakening to this point). By the time I got Awakening, I'd finished FE 7, 8, 11 and 12, and maybe 6 (the patch came out before Awakening, but I'm not sure I'd played it before then). 

I was first introduced to Fire Emblem through Super Smash Bros Brawl with Marth and Ike, but at the time, I didn't really develop any interest in the series. I guess at the time, I wasn't particularly interested in two guys with blue hair and swords when there were so many characters I did know already in the game.

It wasn't until Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS came out that I started to get interested in the series, thanks to me actually enjoying playing as Robin and Lucina, and wanting to know what their deal was. So, I bought Fire Emblem Awakening and played through it (on Casual). I wasn't really hooked yet, but I did still enjoy the game, enough that I was willing to give Fates a go, and in the lead up, I decided to replay Awakening on Classic. Once I finished that, we were still quite a way away from Fates' European/Australian release, so I turned to Virtual Console, and the rest is history.

Mine was Genealogy of the Holy War. Back in a time when I couldn't afford buying games legitimately, and internet speeds were abysmally low, I managed to acquire a CD with roughly 400 assorted SNES ROMs. When I lent it to a friend, he somehow noticed FE4 among them and recommended it. Though my Japanese knowledge was nearly nonexistent at that time, I agreed to help my brother play it nonetheless.

Needlessly to say, we didn't see the barbecue coming, and it left quite the impression.

Super Smash Bros Melee! Really. I was young, but I've been captivated by Marth since almost the beginning, because he really stood out of the Melee cast design-wise and personality-wise, he had some sort of charisma and nobility other characters did not have. And I've been maining him since this time. I was quite frustrated because, in the trophies, it was said "Japan Only", so time passed, and years later, surprise, I found out that Fire Emblem got released (quite silently, at least in my country) outside of Japan. And here I am, and it quicly became my favorite series. It's funny how I've the feeling I was tied to playing this since the beggining, playing Marth and loving him for years without knowing anything on him, and all. 

Needlessly to say, we didn't see the barbecue coming, and it left quite the impression.

You monster.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

I went to buy my 3DS for Pokémon X & Y, which hadn't been released yet, and Dual Destinies. Since it came with a game included in a bundle price, I went over to the collection of cartridges and saw Awakening there. I remembered having heard it was great, and like many others I was like "hey, this is the series with those guys from Smash" (Ike's very popular with me and my brothers in Brawl, and playing yesterday with a large group of friends, I was amused by the amount of people who wanted to play Ike because of his incredible reach and, well, hotness), so I bought it and couldn't put it down for a long time.

While it remains the most fun I've had with a game in the series, it did encourage me to check out the earlier games as well, and since I've played the first and second games in Japanese, I'm trying to earn extra coolness points that way to make up for my late arrival in the fandom.

FE7. Also holds the distinction of having the only cast where there isn't a character I severely dislike. xD Even Jaffar is more tolerable than say, Ephriam or Ike ( then again, he doesn't speak much ).

I discovered the series at a very young age (like 6 or 7) through Smash Bros Melee, like many other Nintendo franchises I had no idea existed because we barely had any internet and because videogames were much more rare.

Me and my sister started the series with emulated 7 on the computer (she later bought an American version found at GameStop), and I played 8 on easy mode when I was like, 9. The gripping storyline and my few knowledge of english got me interested, as much as I wanted to say the game sucked. I probably said this before, but as a kid the nuances of the word "love" escaped me. I did not think you could use it with friends and family, because here in Italy "ti amo" (direct translation of "I love you") is used only for lovers... So imagine my shock when Lyon told Ephraim "I've always loved you". Fire Emblem turned me into the fujo I am today and I'm not sorry.

My sister only really got into the series with 9 though. I liked it since 7 and I also tried 6 but those were too hard for me, until I was like 14 and breezed through 7 ENM (as for 6, I am currently playing it but I think I lost the save file.....duck). 

I literally have fanart of Erk, Serra and Priscilla from when I was 11, lol. 

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

FE8 on the ambassador program for me. My tutor had recommended us to try games we wouldn't usually touch to broaden our perspectives on games design. I always avoided trpgs so I thought I'd give sacred stones a whirl. Best gaming decision I've ever made.

The chess like gameplay with RPG elements completely engrossed me. And not only that I was playing a cast of characters with their own motives, personalities and drive. The fact that it was one of the first times where I saw so many diverse female characters portrayaled in a non-stereotypical way outiside of adventure games. I was especially surprised to be playing as princess Eirika in the games opening, who was not only not kidnapped but had her views on the wars they were embroidered in. Oh and that battle animation, RNG queen ftw! Cough, Anyhow the entire cast and concept captured my interests along with the villians (Lyon and Selena stood out especially).

Looking back the main story was not exactly a masterpiece but what made fe special was the support conversations. The chatter amongst the army added back stories, humour and humanity to what would have just been chess pieces. And they also felt more down to earth (well 'down to magvel') than recent games due to better world building and the lack of heavy-handed influences from dating-sim tropes. The support system was a very novel way to present narratives that ties into the gameplay.

And Sachiko Wada's art (I think only Senri Kita would tie in terms of personal favourite character designs), that ost, I could keep on gushing. There was a time I played it hours straight whilst in line for an arm check up. Pretty sure I made too much noise in the hospital when a unit died (I didn't want to reset at the end of a map haha).

All in all it changed my perspective on trpgs and character development in and outside the genre. I can't believe why I avoided the genre before due to believe it being inaccessible, only to be surprised by one of the best tutorials in games I've played (permadeath did really make it hard for me to progress fast but added tension to every turn and move so it was worth it).

I was very hyped by awakening afterwards but I have to say a lot of the older fes are just more appealing to me. As much as I enjoyed fe13 (and how they made the series more accessible), I find some of the old games had, less bloated gameplay, better world building and generally more interesting characters (that aren't objectified) because of it. Suffice to say echoes has blown my hype-chart off the meter since I'd get to legally experience gaiden and hopefully support what is going to be an ongoing line of classic remakes.  

Saw Ike in Brawl. He became soon my favorite character and after getting interested in competitive play, he also became my main alongside Wolf. I soon became curious if Ike appears in any of Wii games. Found there was a game called Radiant Dawn. Then I went into youtube to look information. Saw a video with all the CG's and watched it. (I was like 12yo simpleton back then, Didn't care for story spoilers or watched any gameplay) I Thought it was some badass hack and slash game (FE Warriors lol)  and told my father I want this game. Got it for next birthday. Disappointed at first that it was a lame strategy game which lacked action. Played it for few hours -> felt in love with the game and became a fan.

First exposed to Fire Emblem in Smash Bros. Melee like a lot of the core english speaking fanbase was back in the day. Got FE7 along with a shiny new GBA SP for Christmas in 2003, so basically right at FE's North American debut. Played the loving hell out of it, hell, I still play the loving hell out of it, and haven't looked back since!

Back in the day (around 2006, to be precise), when there were facilities called "video rental stores," I was a young girl of about eleven years old. I found a distinct pleasure that cannot be replicated in browsing the aisles of video games, staring at the beautiful box arts as I pondered which game would come home with me for five days and nights. While I was enamored by the many games, there was one that always stood out from the rest, but I always passed over it in favor of another game. One day, however, my curiosity could not be suppressed, and, with excitement, I picked up a game by the name of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

From then on, I would be absorbed into the world of Fire Emblem.

2 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

Back in the day (around 2006, to be precise), when there were facilities called "video rental stores," I was a young girl of about eleven years old. I found a distinct pleasure that cannot be replicated in browsing the aisles of video games, staring at the beautiful box arts as I pondered which game would come home with me for five days and nights. While I was enamored by the many games, there was one that always stood out from the rest, but I always passed over it in favor of another game. One day, however, my curiosity could not be suppressed, and, with excitement, I picked up a game by the name of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

From then on, I would be absorbed into the world of Fire Emblem.

You are making me feel incredibly nostalgic/old.  I grew up with video rental stores, and I was already 17 by the time Blazing Sword came out.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

You are making me feel incredibly nostalgic/old.  I grew up with video rental stores, and I was already 17 by the time Blazing Sword came out.

I miss Blockbuster so much. Most series that I'm into now was because I saw their box art or rented them for some nights.

I feel old now, too. To think only ten years have passed since then. It feels like it's both yesterday and several years at the same time.

My first experience with Fire Emblem came from Super Smash Brothers: Melee. I remember liking Roy because of his B special explosion and the awesome music that would accompany the Fire Emblem cast on Fountain of Dreams. However, it wasn't until Brawl that I actually got into Fire Emblem. I saw Lyn as an assist trophy, wondered what game she was from, made the connection to Fire Emblem, and went off on an adventure.

Went to GameStop to pick up Blazing Sword because of Lyn, but they didn't have it. They did, however, have Sacred Stones, and the rest is history. (Sacred Stones -> Blazing Sword -> Radiant Dawn -> Path of Radiance -> Shadow Dragon -> Awakening -> Fates)