Any tips for a first playthrough of FE4?

Tango

Sadly, I've never played this game all the way through since the big maps are pretty intimidating (as well as all the changed mechanics from FE3). Anything I should know before going in? I know the basic gist of the story and mechanics, but only a few specifics. Might as well try it again with Project Naga released!

Thracia 776 is the only game in the series I haven't even touched, and I'm super interested in that one. I'm going to wait until I play FE4, though.

Edited by Star

You might wanna look up some secret events (i'm pretty sure they're listed as such on site), there are some very missable items that are pretty great.  Other than that, the only thing I think you need to actually know is you need the pursuit skill and more attack speed to double, and attack speed is just a units speed minus the weight if their weapon (can be negative).  I personally find games more fun the first time around by finding out how units perform on your own instead of choosing a team based on what someone else says (not that this matters a whole lot in FE4, since you can deploy everyone).  Don't be afraid of the arena, there's no penalty for losing (other than having a 1HP unit at the start of a chapter, but hey, its free exp for your healers that are doing nothing at the start anyway!).  

It's pretty easy to figure out who's a good unit in FE4 anyway, thanks to holy blood.

Thanks so much! I usually don't look up stuff like that but oh man do I hate missing items. 

Yeah, I'm totally gonna wing it with units and just use characters I like. I'll probably screw up the second gen (from my understanding of how it works?), but I can always play it again.

I missed arenas lol I'm hyped

Nah; the game generally is biased toward giving your females some husbands that compliment their kids pretty well.  Females will have much higher Love Growths + Starting Love Points + Etc. with some males than they will with others, and stuff like that; so even winging it shouldn't mess you up too much.

Yeah.  And even if things DO go pear-shaped for you on the Inheritance end (for example, if you let some of your Gen 1 females die), you should still be fine.  The crutch characters in this game are REALLY useful, and that becomes especially apparent in Gen 2.  This game isn't like Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem; it always does a good job of giving you what you need, no matter what.  

Edited by FionordeQuester

Also most units except for 2-3 are very usable in both generations. It's no problem to share the experience.

Having good couples for the second generation and passing the right weapons and items to their children are the most important things a newcomer has to take care of. Furthermore it's really good to know about a few secrets. 

There are some pairing threads in this section quite lately where you can pick your favorites.

Don't worry too much about whether your pairings are good or not, though. Even if you screw up, there are enough safety nets to keep the game from being unwinnable.

Other than the previously given info, I would advise you to check the "Talk" section of a character's page after seizing each castle (one turn after, to be exact).  It's very easy to miss important items and stat bonuses that are otherwise locked behind these conversations.  Some may screw with your pairings and you COULD look them up, but whether or not you choose to do so is ultimately up to you.

Edited by Refa
Fixing a minor grammatical error

I know it's a shameless plug, but if you need help on who to use and who to bench, you can always check out this topic I made right here:
https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/67540-fire-emblem-genealogy-of-the-holy-war-2017-tier-list-day-30-ares/

Either way, I hope you'll have tons of fun with the game, like I did the three times I've played it! ^^

Be sure to constantly go to the Fortune Teller to know who your females are preferring to get paired with, just to be on the safe side.

Don't forget about special convos that would increase love points, or are just there for story or character development purposes. Do remember that the "Talk" section of any character will only have names from one of the playable units- you'll have to figure it out yourselves on which of your units will recruit an enemy unit or NPC, but it's not that difficult though, so it should be fine.

Concerning units, mainly of Gen 1, they're fine, with 2 or 3 "bad" units stat wise, but since you have very few units in this game, it's best to use all of them.

Also, are you using foot units, or going for an LTC run, meaning you're mainly using horses? Just asking.

You can field literally everyone in every chapter so there's no need to at least try and use everyone, experience is plentiful throughout the game. I just wrapped up my G1 and first chapter of G2 last night of my current playthrough and even with some botches (I had to let someone die for a while to rig a pairing with someone else then resurrect them later) I got everyone promoted and with a few exceptions over level 25 easily. Other than that, everyone else's advice is super solid: check the fortune teller often, don't miss any special conversations with people, and maybe use a guide for secret events that are pretty guide-dang-it hidden. Don't worry too much about pairings, but I'd definitely try and keep everyone alive if possible still :P When pairing people though be sure to note if their special skills are Class or Personal, though. Personal skills get passed on to children, but Class Skills do not (this mostly pertains to picking husbands for the female characters).

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

For a first playthrough? Why though.

Well, considering the OP did play all FE games, except for Thracia 776, he could do an LTC run for fun. But then again, I may be thinking way too ahead. I'll assume for now the OP isn't doing an LTC run.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Nope, no LTC run for now, but I might try one later! I'm just using characters I like since this is my first playthrough, but the maps are so huge that its ending up being a whole lot of horse riders anyway lol.

I accidentally stumbled upon something about a jealousy mechanic online. FE4 seems extremely complicated compared to the others? Maybe that's just me being unfamiliar with it, but I kind of like how in depth it seems.

The jealousy mechanic is nothing to really worry about, its good for turbocharging your love points but it isn't needed, so don't worry about using it. Just keep characters you want to pair up directly next to one another as much asyou can and it'll work out. Exception to this is Ayra, don't pair her up before chapter 3 or you'll miss out on the brave sword :T

10 hours ago, Star said:

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Nope, no LTC run for now, but I might try one later! I'm just using characters I like since this is my first playthrough, but the maps are so huge that its ending up being a whole lot of horse riders anyway lol.

I accidentally stumbled upon something about a jealousy mechanic online. FE4 seems extremely complicated compared to the others? Maybe that's just me being unfamiliar with it, but I kind of like how in depth it seems.

Do note, some chapters you need to rush it (Like saving certain people in Ch2 or saving villages) with the horses, but most of the time you can have the footies reach and take part in the action, without any important consequences whatsoever.

Honestly those RUSH RUSH RUSH moments aside I think people really overblow FE4 as "Horse Emblem" for the most part (at least as far as a casual playthrough is concerned). A lot of parts of the game are designed so your infantry and cavalry are fighting at the same time, usually by having tough enemy encounters focused in bottlenecks or chokepoints, or using terrain that either inhibits mounted movement (mountains) or improves infantry (roads, though this also makes cavalry move farther too). But again, aside from a handful of RUSH moments to save villages or NPCs or whatever, you should keep your cavalry with your infantry.

It really isn't overblown. While there are some places where foot units can contribute or even be with mounts for a bit, you're better off playing around 75% of most maps with mounts. Like in Ch8, your foot units can reach the first batches of enemies, but there's no real point in having them keep up after that. Or in Ch4, they can kinda be there for the part where you have to cross mountains, but most of the enemies are too far away for infantry to reach.

Maybe I just play FE4 substantially differently then, I always give my units time to regroup and move in as a clump before advancing, and I don't send in my cavalry alone (if simply because the RNG can't be trusted and I don't want to risk losing units). With chapter 8 I send my cavalry up to Lenster and use infantry for the armor batch, then move everyone as a group to Conote, then down to Manster, etc. Chapter 4, Lamia just comes to you so I just wait for her to get into range and strike from there.

There's other instances too: when you're taking Melgen in chapter 7, only a few of your units are even mounted (Delmud, Lester, Johan if you recruited him, Oifaye, Fee, and Celice if you grinded him out the last chapter, so half your functional army at best) and its just easier to let your infantry get in on the action too.

IDK, all my experiences of having my cavalry rush ahead mostly resulted in regrets because my cavalry would get overwhelmed and rekt'd, at least early game :Y