is there any point to reclassing back to villager in gaiden?

geozeldadude

i think it's cool that you can reclass back to villager, and it seems like it was an idea way ahead of its time. do any characters actually benefit from it, though? not sure there's much point to it, although it'd be funny to make everyone mages...

If your characters are SUPER overleveled it's usually a good idea to promote back to villager, then to archer, sniper, and arch knight. I've done this with pretty good results in both an easy mode run and a low character count run where I used Grey in both Alm and Celica chapter 3 (by killing him off and resurrecting him.) 

You lose quite a bit of movement and res, but it tends to pay off in the long run since you get tons of fast level ups and once you get back to arch knight your character tends to have op stats alongside perfect 8 movement and 1-5 range. 

33f8b7ed30a6ec108fd43de730e6d5ce.png

Here's a screenshot of the Grey in question when I got to endgame. (Power is skewed up because he has silver bow equipped) Notice how he has insanely high speed for a Bow Knight even with his horrible growth rate because he got 18 speed back when he promoted to demon fighter. If I did the same thing with Cliff his stats would probably be off the charts.

I don't think you can really do it in a normal playthrough without grinding or on easy mode. The Grey pictured was done in a normal mode without grinding, but he probably killed the majority of units in both Alm and Celica route of chapter 3, which is a far from normal playthrough.