Story in progress, but...

Christianguy7

So, I'm writing a story, but I need a name for an elf girl, she's sorta chiper, she's late teens early 20's like 17-21, not sure the age yet, has brownish blonde hair, and is sorta like Lissa mixed with Mozu, and Scarlet. I'm definitly going to post it on here. I'm trying to go for a fantasy Fire Emblem, mixed with other fantasy novels and series kinda thing. It's going to involve very large dragons, magic rings, FF15 like weapons, and hopefully a good story, that people will want to read. (BTW on the notification thing, will it notify me even if Serenes isn't open?)

6 hours ago, Christianguy7 said:

That sounds nice, and it's close to main characters name (Ezra, they get all lovey dovey about half way in.)

Generally having characters with similar names is a bad idea unless they're twins. Inattentive readers can easily get confused as the human mind frequently only looks at the seize and first letters of a word.

7 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Would you mind saying more about the story?

I shall, but right now, I was going to make a new topic on the fates board, and then finish up an assignment for my Communication 231 class. (Public Speaking.)

When in doubt, use a mirror. :P:

Anyway, her name will heavily depend on the names of everyone else.  For example, Ashley's a great name, but not so much if everyone's running around with names like Fuyuko.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Anyway, her name will heavily depend on the names of everyone else.  For example, Ashley's a great name, but not so much if everyone's running around with names like Fuyuko.

Everyone's from our world is going to have normal names, but everyone from the other world, where the elves, and dwarves, and dragons are from, are going to have fantasy names. (Again I'm going to post more on the plot later tonight, or sometime tommorow afternoon.

27 minutes ago, eclipse said:

That doesn't actually tend to be as big a problem as you'd expect. Ever notice how Luke is like the only one in the entire Star Wars universe with a normal name?

31 minutes ago, Christianguy7 said:

Everyone's from our world is going to have normal names, but everyone from the other world, where the elves, and dwarves, and dragons are from, are going to have fantasy names. (Again I'm going to post more on the plot later tonight, or sometime tommorow afternoon.

Fuyuko is a perfectly normal name, thank you very much.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That doesn't actually tend to be as big a problem as you'd expect. Ever notice how Luke is like the only one in the entire Star Wars universe with a normal name?

I thought Leia wasn't too farfetched, and have my own headcanon for Han.  Perhaps it isn't a big problem to you, but for someone like me, it's noticeable.

Okay, here is the plot info. hundreds of years ago, people talked of monsters, of dragons, goblins, orcs, and ogres Talk of witches, to Manticores went through out the world. Most people chalked these up as legends. Those people are very, very wrong.. These creatures, along with Dwarves, Elves, and halfies (NOT PERMANENT NAME FOR HALF ANIMAL HALF HUMAN JUST PLACE HOLDER.) These creatures, and people were free to come and go into our world, and we were to theirs as well. However 876 years ago, a dark dragon started to spread corruption through their world, and started to threaten ours. The best blacksmiths, and mages began working together, and created weapon rings. The mages sealed the best weapons the blacksmiths made inside of these rings, and these rings were given to the greatest warriors of both worlds. (weapons work like inn FF15 popping out of the ring, then going back.) these brave warriors sealed the dragon away, supposing he would be sealed forever in the depths of the Black Mountains, a treacherous snow covered area, where only the hardiest things in existence can survive. The rings were then passed down to the descendants of the warriors, and most of them have been lost to time. The worlds were then sealed, allowing only a select few to cross over, and those that posses the rings have a special connection to the other world, and they can sense that darkness is growing there, but the High Council of Ravoth (Ravoth is like D.C. for them.) refuse to listen, since the seal upon the dragon still holds. One holder of 2 rings has started to train his son a 20 year old named Ezra in the ways of the sword, promising him that he might need the skills one day. (Ezra doesn't know about the other world yet. He won't know till his father takes him there, in the second or third chapter.) {His mother is also missing, she vanished 5 years ago.}

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Fuyuko is a perfectly normal name, thank you very much.

I thought Leia wasn't too farfetched, and have my own headcanon for Han.  Perhaps it isn't a big problem to you, but for someone like me, it's noticeable.

Doing some light research on the subject

http://www.behindthename.com/name/leia

http://www.ohbabynames.com/meaning/name/leia/1008#.WImp9bSV0wh

http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/leia

The name comes from the ancient greek translation of the old testament. One of the sources also mentions Hawaiian origin but given that the other two don't I find that dubious. Most tellingly however is that the name records didn't feature the name until after the movie was released. Now a days it might be a somewhat common name (my cousin had a kid called Leia) but I think its safe to say that before the 1970s the name Leia would be just as unknown as Biggs, Wedge, Anakin or Obi-Wan (any of which might legitimate names of some form under some culture, there's only a limited number of sounds humans tend to make). Luke however definitely stands out on examination as a very modern and not at all strange name compared to practically every other characters in the series. However that's only on examination. I bet most people watching the series never noticed how odd it is at all and that's because the naming in Star Wars tends to be done well. They sound strange but they still sound like names. I'm not claiming that having an altogether different name among similar ones is completely fine. But it's not an exact science. You can get away with it if the names are appropriate. That's the most important thing.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Doing some light research on the subject

http://www.behindthename.com/name/leia

http://www.ohbabynames.com/meaning/name/leia/1008#.WImp9bSV0wh

http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/leia

The name comes from the ancient greek translation of the old testament. One of the sources also mentions Hawaiian origin but given that the other two don't I find that dubious. Most tellingly however is that the name records didn't feature the name until after the movie was released. Now a days it might be a somewhat common name (my cousin had a kid called Leia) but I think its safe to say that before the 1970s the name Leia would be just as unknown as Biggs, Wedge, Anakin or Obi-Wan (any of which might legitimate names of some form under some culture, there's only a limited number of sounds humans tend to make). Luke however definitely stands out on examination as a very modern and not at all strange name compared to practically every other characters in the series. However that's only on examination. I bet most people watching the series never noticed how odd it is at all and that's because the naming in Star Wars tends to be done well. They sound strange but they still sound like names. I'm not claiming that having an altogether different name among similar ones is completely fine. But it's not an exact science. You can get away with it if the names are appropriate. That's the most important thing.

In the old testament it's actually Leah. She was Jacob's first wife, people are naming kids after Harry Potter, so...

13 hours ago, Christianguy7 said:

In the old testament it's actually Leah. She was Jacob's first wife, people are naming kids after Harry Potter, so...

Harry Potter was actually another example I was going to bring up. That series features a whole load of distinct names from different cultures like Albus and Severus alongside the likes of Harry and Ron. And it can't even be chalked entirely up to Wizard Culture since Hermione (a Greek name actually pronounced Hermy-oh-nee or so I've heard) is Muggle Born. Yet it's generally never seen as a problem since all of the names fit the characters exceptionally well (Though I do have to criticize one set of parents for naming their son Remus Lupin, that's just looking for trouble!).