AttilaGaming's Fire Emblem Rom Hacking Tutorials

Attila

Alright, so because I've started working on a small Rom Hack (Release date for the demo is going to be sometime in late 2060) and I have trouble remembering SOME aspects of Rom Hacking (Mainly Eventing, but I'll probably forget a lot more as time passes), I've decided to make a Rom Hacking Tutorial sort of series on my YouTube channel. These sorts of videos will pop up as I see they're important, and the first tutorial posted is probably one of the more needed ones since the SF update killed Astra's tutorial (Though immediately after finishing this post, I found one he did on YouTube that I didn't know about), and I don't think that there's another tutorial for it on YouTube as of now: Weapon Icon Editing. A lot of people know how to do it, but some of the newer Rom Hackers obviously don't know how to, and I want to help out the new rom hacking community in any way possible, as people like Arch and Ghast are getting more and more slim as days go by ;-;

Feel free to request a tutorial if one is needed

Weapon Icon Editing Tutorial

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqbKkuMDVOE

Spoiler

Alright, so I'm not that good with Written tutorials, but I'm going to go ahead and write this out if you guys are interested in reading it rather than watching me explain it for those who have no idea what they're doing
Step 1: Open GBAGE
Step 2: Open Image and Palette control
Step 3: Go to the image offset for the weapon icons to the game of your choice (Shown Below)
Step 4: Change the Palette offset to the one listed for your game (Shown Below)
Step 5: Click "Save as Bitmap"
Step 6: Open Usenti, and edit icons (USE USENTI, and DO NOT EDIT THE PALETTE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING)
Step 7: Save
Step 8: Click "Import a Bitmap" and find your weapon icons file
Step 9: Don't Import palette unless you know what you're doing
Step 10: Save, and edit weapons in Nightmare if needed (Tutorial to come later)

Offsets:

FE8 Weapon Icon Palette: 5996F4
FE8 Weapon Icon Graphics (Uncompressed): 5926F4
FE7 Weapon Icon Palette: CBEA4
FE7 Weapon Icon Graphics (Uncompressed): C5EA4
FE6 Weapon Icon Palette: FED80
FE6 Weapon Icon Graphics (Uncompressed): F9D80

MAP SPRITE INSERTION

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/n5H5U2xKov8

Spoiler

Step 1: Open GBAGE
Step 2: Open Image and Palette control
Step 3: Save the opening image as an uncompressed image (FE7)
Step 4: Find free space in your rom (I used DD0000, obviously, that may not be free space. I was using the base rom)
Step 5: Import the uncompressed Image (DO NOT IMPORT PALETTES)
Step 6: Compress the image
Step 7: Import your map sprite
Step 8: Open Nightmare, and the Map Sprite Modules
Step 9: Repoint the map sprites for the class you're editing to the offsets of the map sprites you imported

Spoiler

FE7 Map Sprite Palette Offsets:
Player Team (Blue): 194594
Enemy Team (Red): 1945B4
NPC Team (Green): 1945D4
Stoned?: 1945F4
Link Arena Team 4 (Grey): 194614
Flashback Palette: 194654
Evil looking Palette?: 1946F4

Edited by Attila

Hey! This isn't a bad tutorial, but there's certainly room for improvement. A few tips:

• Write a script for your tutorials. Practice it. It'll help with getting points across and eliminating awkward moments. It'll also help to prevent off-topic moments.
  • Record your tutorials in segments, so you can edit out parts that don't go as well as you'd like.
  • Have a project folder for each tutorial, as hunting around your computer is distracting.
  • Sign out of other programs, like Steam or Discord.

Apart from those, the biggest part of making a tutorial is understanding the material that you're trying to teach. Not all images within GBAFE are LZ77 compressed. In fact, the weapon icons aren't compressed.

I hope you continue making these tutorials, and continue to improve. Looking forward to more from you.

Uploaded a tutorial on Map Sprite Insertion that explains some things a lot of other tutorials didn't mention. Will probably redo soon enough. I was lucky I figured it out at all