BANRYU

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, escotanner said:

Yeah I'd like to see Catria as well.

Catria's in the game.

Also, even without playing the Archanea games, I'd say that Cordelia is a lot closer in terms of personality to Palla than she is Catria. She fulfills the role of the older responsible Pegasus Knight, except she has an unrequited crush on the Lord. She also has that "talented" thing going for her, which judging purely by Palla and Catria's base conversations with Est seems to be a trait both of them lack. 

7 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Him supposedly influencing the polls is such a stupid thing to throw a fit about. Especially when Dorcas is on there. Fucking Dorcas, who has his place on the poll because of a MEME. HE IS A JOKE AND GOT ON THERE BECAUSE OF A JOKE. Seriously when was the last time any one of you looked at Dorcas and sincerely liked his character and thought you would vote for him in a popularity poll? When? But because everyone finds that funny, that is completely fine. It's hypocracy at its finest.

The support between him and Geitz isn't half bad. He's got a good motivation and decent contrasting characters in most of the his supports. I'm not knocking your claim about him being a meme (because he is) and that being the reason he's placed high (because it probably factors heavily toward his placing), but maybe you shouldn't lash out like that since it makes you come across as unreasonable as the people you're mad at.

As to your question of the last time I looked at Dorcas' supports and character, the first week of this month.

It seems the awakening and fates characters are doing well which is to be expected but I wonder how well they'd do if the older games were more popular? I'm not sure why but I feel the characters in awakening and fates just aren't as deep as characters like jill or elincia. The thing that makes me doubt this is that I can't put my finger on anything specific that they had that characters like even tharja or camilla don't have since they technically do have back stories and their own issues. For some reason, I just can't stand the awakening and fates cast anymore yet my love for the older games' characters grows every day. It's not nostalgia either since I played awakening first. 

Basically, I feel something is wrong with the modern games' casts yet I can't put my finger on what that is. The characters in the modern games feel cheap and life-less yet even characters like heather (who I know technically doesn't even have as much development as camilla) feel like they have more depth to them.

Edited by Dinar87

1 hour ago, Dinar87 said:

It seems the awakening and fates characters are doing well which is to be expected but I wonder how well they'd do if the older games were more popular? I'm not sure why but I feel the characters in awakening and fates just aren't as deep as characters like jill or elincia. The thing that makes me doubt this is that I can't put my finger on anything specific that they had that characters like even tharja or camilla don't have since they technically do have back stories and their own issues. For some reason, I just can't stand the awakening and fates cast anymore yet my love for the older games' characters grows every day. It's not nostalgia either since I played awakening first. 

Basically, I feel something is wrong with the modern games' casts yet I can't put my finger on what that is. The characters in the modern games feel cheap and life-less yet even characters like heather (who I know technically doesn't even have as much development as camilla) feel like they have more depth to them.

That's because you can sum up the characters in the modern games in three words.  SOME of the older characters had a bit more complexity around them, whether it be Rolf's everything, what Legault is, the contrast between Makalov and Joshua, Astohl's backstory, Geitz/Geese, Wallace/Renault, etc.  Others are pretty one-note, like Rath, who I still think has more character development than some of the 3DS cast.

However, pining for the past isn't going to help.  If Tharja is any indication, complexity goes right over the heads of those who decry her as an abusive stalker/rapist/anything else that could be proven wrong based on a critical reading of every last one of her supports (the abusive part is probably the closest, BUT that's people missing the forest for the trees - the point of that support wasn't abuse in the first place, and that support is bad for other reasons).

Still, the poll results aren't surprising.  The 3DS games are what catapulted FE into the limelight, and I think people are more likely to vote for people they're familiar with than some unknown character.

It seems the awakening and fates characters are doing well which is to be expected but I wonder how well they'd do if the older games were more popular? 

Are you asking if the popularity poll which measures the popularity of popular characters would be different if other characters and games were more popular

My guess is that yes, the results would be different.

I'm not sure why but I feel the characters in awakening and fates just aren't as deep as characters like jill or elincia. The thing that makes me doubt this is that I can't put my finger on anything specific that they had that characters like even tharja or camilla don't have since they technically do have back stories and their own issues. For some reason, I just can't stand the awakening and fates cast anymore yet my love for the older games' characters grows every day. It's not nostalgia either since I played awakening first. 

You're free to think whatever you like, and I agree that the Tellius cast is generally much better developed than the 3DS ones. But let me just ask you something: when was the last time you read the supports of the 3DS characters? The current support system is highly flawed and lead to a lot of excess supports which I don't think should be there in the first place, but it's not like the depth isn't there. 

Alright, again, you're free to think whatever you like, but this sounds like you're completely blinded by your love for the Tellius games. Heather is a thief who hits on girls, is so rude to men that it borders on the comical and loves her mother as revealed by her death quote and epilogue; is there much more to her? If anything, Heather feels like what people complain about in the 3DS games shoved into Radiant Dawn, unless I'm missing something here.