How would Promotions work in written works?

Meanlucario

I write them working sorta like Pokemon evolutions. At a certain point, when a character is strong enough, they trigger a magical transformation to a stronger class. Their clothes and armor change to be fancier and tougher to get through. But just like not all Pokemon evolve or evolve naturally by level up, not every character can trigger their promotion automatically. Characters like Ike, since they get story promotions, have to have a high figure award the transformation to them, kind of like how some Pokemon require stones or other items to evolve.

If you're using the specfic items for class (ie. guiding ring, elysian whip) I always thought they would just put on the ring or use the whip on the mount or sign a fell contract. If you mean like what actually happends during promotion, I got nothing xP

5 minutes ago, Limstella said:

If you're using the specfic items for class (ie. guiding ring, elysian whip) I always thought they would just put on the ring or use the whip on the mount or sign a fell contract. If you mean like what actually happends during promotion, I got nothing xP

I'm thinking more of going without seals in general, and finding a slightly more realistic approach.

This is a really good question, and I actually had an idea that I think is all right which I came up with for the purpose of like an en masse RP sort of setting...

So here's the thing about promotions. For the most part, in the GBA games especially, they're described as being essentially the base class but in a position of distinction.  (I can't recall the exact quotes for evidence, but you probably know what I mean.) It doesn't make as much sense for unpromoted characters who grow into that role for the most part in-game, but I've always seen the upgraded classes almost as leadership figures or even figures of political power in some cases, which is sort of backed up by prepromoted characters in the games-- looking at FE7, we have Marcus, the leader of the Pheraean knights, Pent, a count, Fargus, a pirate captain, etc.... It doesn't apply to all of them, but a great many deal.

So my thought is that for a promotion writing/lorewise, some kind of special ritual, rite, or ceremony that they have to undertake alone makes the most sense to me. A couple examples: maybe a Shaman or Dark Mage has to plunge into a pitch-black cave/maze/chamber/etc and retrieve something, find his/her way through to the other side, or so on; a Wyvern Rider looking to promote might be faced with some sort of flight navigation challenge that requires utmost trust between wyvern and rider, a Thief looking to become an Assassin might be required to take a special mark (which could be initated with a Fell Contract...? >3>), etc. etc.

Incorporating the promotion items in ways such as above would be really cool if you can find a way to make it work, but I wouldn't consider it super necessary. Other ideas like that, though: Guiding Rings leading mages to a revelation or special location that results in some sort of enlightenment; Heroes/Fighters (and maybe even Cavaliers/Knights) being gifted with a trophy or seal signifying their heroic actions and accomplishments (possibly something resembling an IRL Medal of Honor, including the distinctions and respect from NPCs that come along with it), and so on (I don't have specific ideas for the elysian whip or orion's bolt, unfortunately; sorry). 

If your story/setting has patron saints, deities, etc. then appealing to one of them for their power/blessing (possibly along with undertaking a suitable challenge) could be another method of making it work. 

Admittedly this idea was intended for individual players, so if this is for a story at large, it might just be best for the Lord character (and possibly any other significant characters) to undergo the special rite/ritual and whatnot, with 'promotion' of other characters being not officially stated, but coming in the form of being outfitted with additional or better gear, as others have suggested. Maybe the party/army/etc. finds special armor or equipment that could constitute a change for one-to-several characters at a time, or maybe a turning point in the story results in the characters being suited up for a larger conflict and 'promotion' can happen en masse.

Don't hesitate to mix and match either, whatever works for your story, it's your deal. Hope any of these ideas help!

Edited by BANRYU

I would interpret it as a literal promotion: Because a soldier performs so well (reaching Level 10 or higher), they are given a new rank and a fancier uniform, with the promotion item being a medal signifying this higher rank. Having gained such recognition from their superiors, the soldier is motivated to give even more in battle (stat boosts) and broaden their abilities and knowledge (new weapon ranks/skills).

On 2/3/2017 at 6:34 AM, Night Zap said:

I would interpret it as a literal promotion: Because a soldier performs so well (reaching Level 10 or higher), they are given a new rank and a fancier uniform, with the promotion item being a medal signifying this higher rank. Having gained such recognition from their superiors, the soldier is motivated to give even more in battle (stat boosts) and broaden their abilities and knowledge (new weapon ranks/skills).

This is what I would use. While Ana's Pokemon based thing is cool, I only see it being realistic enough for, well, Pokemon. 

This topic has me thinking about promotions for my fic...one of the twin wyvern rider protags promotes into a wyvern trooper, lance and bow because who doesn't want a flying bow user? Currently trying to wrap my head around how that would happen.

EDIT - WOW. Banryu that is awesome. I am so using that. Promotion spinoff oneshot incoming...or not. I better write it down though!

Edited by Dragoncat

• 4 months later...
On 2/3/2017 at 8:34 AM, Night Zap said:

Notice me Senpai!

On 03/02/2017 at 11:34 AM, Night Zap said:

This is what makes the most sense to me.

They're given better armor and weapons because they advanced in rank from the results of their services. Good equipment isn't wasted on inexperienced soldiers anyway.