Waifus

Christianguy7

5 minutes ago, The Geek said:

Female (and sometimes male) fictional characters that people imagine they are in a relationship with.

hey they're not always fictional i'll have you know mads mikkelsen is my one true waifu

39 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

a naive one,

welcome to the internet.

listen to what The Geek said

also, most of the time we use waifu as a joke, I rarely see anyone use it seriously.

I was just making sure whet they were. Since I really would'nt really say that "Waifu" would be right for Fates, and them, I wanted to make sure.

I call my actual wife 'waifu' because saying 'wife' makes me feel old sometimes lol.

When I refer to any of the FE girls (or any other fictional character really) it's pretty much always as a joke. If I was serious about it, probably wouldn't be great for my actual relationship lol. 

People who use the term in earnest are few and far between on Serenes as far as I know, but they're out there. ~3~

5 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

I call my actual wife 'waifu' because saying 'wife' makes me feel old sometimes lol.

When I refer to any of the FE girls (or any other fictional character really) it's pretty much always as a joke. If I was serious about it, probably wouldn't be great for my actual relationship lol. 

People who use the term in earnest are few and far between on Serenes as far as I know, but they're out there. ~3~

Ah, a fellow married SF member.  I usually use a euphemism for my better half, too.

8 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

If its meant as a joke, then why is it that many fans don't want that waifu thing in FE games?

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

If its meant as a joke, then why is it that many fans don't want that waifu thing in FE games?

Either they're referring to people who don't mean it as a joke, or they can't take the joke I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Either way, those people probably have a stick up their butts.

43 minutes ago, Harvey said:

There are some fans that think the other aspects of the games - such as character development and story - are being neglected because the developers seem to be prioritizing the "shipping/waifu/husbando/children" system of Awakening and Fates to pander to the likely newer fans of the series.

Edited by saisymbolic

19 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

There are some fans that think the other aspects of the games - such as character development and story - are being neglected because the developers seem to be prioritizing the "shipping/waifu/husbando/children" system of Awakening and Fates to pander to the likely newer fans of the series.

That, I think, is actually a fairer/more valid concern; looking at the sheer quantity (and to some extent, quality) of the supports at large in Fates and Awakening, it's hard not to think that some of the effort that could have gone into making the writing in the MAIN story better was reallocated elsewhere. For that reason, I can sympathize with this mindset, although the blame is somewhat misallocated if it's being directed at the fans who enjoy this, rather than the directors/producers who made the decision. 

Personally, I'd be satisfied with a pool of 5-10 supports per character so long as the writing for both those and the main story was of a reasonably decent quality (none of the shit like Rinkah getting mad at Hayato for not eating vegetables, or Frederick asking Robin to teach him to eat bear meat, #$%& that $#!7-- give me substantial character development please, I'm talkin' like Libra x Tharja, Laslow x Peri, the ones that are considered good and substantial and actually add something to the character, etc. etc). I'd much rather the effort go into quality than quantity myself, so I can at least appreciate that mindset. 

People who hate on fans for getting invested in the story and doing the self-indulgent self-insert stuff need to get over themselves though. Even if it's a PRODUCT of a decision you don't like, it's not the fault of players who like it, so let them like what they like. 

Edited by BANRYU

16 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Are you not your husband's waifu?

Plenty of love to go around. ;)

I should hope it's all a joke for most people concerned, though. As much love as I have for certain fictional characters (and I've spent a fair amount on fan merchandise), at the end of the day it doesn't affect or interfere with anything in real life.

I agree with everything BANRYU said in his post above. I'd love to see fewer, quality supports and I'd also love to see less shitting on fans who like the self-insert business.

31 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

That, I think, is actually a fairer/more valid concern; looking at the sheer quantity (and to some extent, quality) of the supports at large in Fates and Awakening, it's hard not to think that some of the effort that could have gone into making the writing in the MAIN story better was reallocated elsewhere. For that reason, I can sympathize with this mindset, although the blame is somewhat misallocated if it's being directed at the fans who enjoy this, rather than the directors/producers who made the decision. 

Personally, I'd be satisfied with a pool of 5-10 supports per character so long as the writing for both those and the main story was of a reasonably decent quality (none of the shit like Rinkah getting mad at Hayato for not eating vegetables, or Frederick asking Robin to teach him to eat bear meat, #$%& that $#!7-- give me substantial character development please, I'm talkin' like Libra x Tharja, Laslow x Peri, the ones that are considered good and substantial and actually add something to the character, etc. etc). I'd much rather the effort go into quality than quantity myself, so I can at least appreciate that mindset. 

People who hate on fans for getting invested in the story and doing the self-indulgent self-insert stuff need to get over themselves though. Even if it's a PRODUCT of a decision you don't like, it's not the fault of players who like it, so let them like what they like. 

I could go on a tangent about the supports, but I won't. I too would rather have fewer supports of higher quality than many of . . . dubious . . . quality. Not only does the current system limit the characters and writers, it has even stretched to the players - looking through and collected supports has become something tedious and unenjoyable. For every one decent support, there seems to be five more terrible, filler support lines - there is only so much doodoo a person can dig through before they give up looking for gold. 

I agree completely with your final point. I mean, I'm to the point in my life where I can't be assed to care about what people think about my interests, but others aren't the same as me. They shouldn't have to be put on blast for something the developers put into the game, and they subsequently enjoyed.

Edited by saisymbolic
clarification

On 1/26/2017 at 11:26 PM, BANRYU said:

If anything ever works out between me and the girl I'm going for, and I called her that, she would probabbly hit me.

47 minutes ago, Christianguy7 said:

If anything ever works out between me and the girl I'm going for, and I called her that, she would probabbly hit me.

Heh xD Everyone's relationships are different, man. The most important thing is to respect each other :3 And hopefully if you ever do, she'll know it's all in good fun or whatever.

Hell, I know a couple where the girl calls her BF 'waifu' and he calls her 'husbando' lol. And they're not even married, they just like to kid around haha. 

Edited by BANRYU

2 hours ago, BANRYU said:

Heh xD Everyone's relationships are different, man. The most important thing is to respect each other :3 And hopefully if you ever do, she'll know it's all in good fun or whatever.

Hell, I know a couple where the girl calls her BF 'waifu' and he calls her 'husbando' lol. And they're not even married, they just like to kid around haha. 

Yeah, the other girl i'm sorta interested in. (Whom I kinda nervous to talk to) would have no idea what the heck it meant. But that is a bit starnge.

1 hour ago, In The Beginning said:

I've began to use the term "alternative spouses" to refer to "waifus" and "husbandos."

Thanks Kellyanne Conway LOL

Make self-inserts great again.

I would define the term Waifu (and the male counterpart, husbando) as a character that you genuinely like, but the fondness is greatly exaggerated in a tongue-in-cheek-manner

Awakening and Fates have become known as Waifu Simulators becaue they both have self-insert characters that can take every potential waifu/husbando as their actual wife/husband.

20 hours ago, Night Zap said:

I would define the term Waifu (and the male counterpart, husbando) as a character that you genuinely like, but the fondness is greatly exaggerated in a tongue-in-cheek-manner

Yes; this is an excellent definition and the one I've always stuck by.

• 3 weeks later...