Fire Emblem Fates: The Crown of Nibelungen Now on Sale

Hardin

The Fates manga Crown of Nibelungen has just gone on sale, in the newest issue of Comic Zero Sum. I doubt anyone has had the chance to read it yet, but the magazine did release a nice piece of promotional art for the series launch.

C3LPKlsVMAEkKWV.jpg

Wait, is this totally a brand new manga that wasn't announced or is it this manga was announced a while ago? I wondered if is this manga was connected to Leo's prequel story or the other canceled manga that we heard about?

29 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Wait, is this totally a brand new manga that wasn't announced or is it this manga was announced a while ago? I wondered if is this manga was connected to Leo's prequel story or the other canceled manga that we heard about?

This is the manga starring Leo, which was announced about a month ago. 

1 minute ago, Hardin said:

This is the manga starring Leo, which was announced about a month ago. 

Ok, thanks. I did seen the image of the cover shows the Female Corrin, does the manga plot uses the female version only for Leo's story, correct?

General observations:

• The art is nice.
  • Why does Corrin take up half the page? Well, aside from, you know...
  • Either Azura is camera shy or the artist didn't have enough room for her. She probably wishes that she could be with male Corrin and the Hoshidan royals instead.
  • Xander, Camilla, and Elise are upset that the manga isn't starring them. Meanwhile, Leo is wondering why he has to be the star of a manga that he didn't ask for. He's probably cursing that popularity poll.
6 minutes ago, 0w0 said:

Assuming from the cover, it takes place during Conquest?

Given that it stars Leo, most likely.

Edited by Lightchao42

3 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Ok, thanks. I did seen the image of the cover shows the Female Corrin, does the manga plot uses the female version only for Leo's story, correct?

Presumably that will be the case. 

17 minutes ago, Hardin said:

Oh yeah, Leo isn't anywhere on the cover of the actual magazine. 

coverYcXOvbvU.jpg

Wait, am I missing something, or is that the magazine? Because he's right there in the bottom right. 

I feel like I'm missing a joke here.

43 minutes ago, Thane said:

Wait, am I missing something, or is that the magazine? Because he's right there in the bottom right. 

I feel like I'm missing a joke here.

You can't be serious. 

Everyone looks pretty glum. I wonder what the tone of the manga will be.

54 minutes ago, Thane said:

Since I love making an ass of myself in public, I'm going to admit that I am serious and have no idea what's going on with that picture.

Internet sarcasm, motherfucker, do you speak it!?

31 minutes ago, SniperGYS said:

Too bad this comic is in a magazine, I would have liked to buy it and keep it with all the Anthologies

Give it some time. It'll likely become serialized later on. (I'll have my friend hunt for the magazines when he goes to Japan in April.)

EDIT: I found a page! :D

Edited by TheTuckingFypo

A few mini-facts on the Monthly Comic Zero Sum and the comic:

This anthology's comics fall under the Josei genre, which is the genre aimed at late teen girls/women. It's a counterpart to Seinen, which is aimed at men.
The comic on the cover is Saiyuki RELOAD BLAST by Kazuya Minekura, a long running series.
(Which is why it is the main cover - I'm guessing the Fates manga might get one eventually depending on how long it's run is)
Also, Zero Sum's site: http://www.ichijinsha.co.jp/zerosum/

7 hours ago, SniperGYS said:

Too bad this comic is in a magazine, I would have liked to buy it and keep it with all the Anthologies

If you don't mind having the magazine in an e-book format, ebookjapan has the Zero Sum magazine: https://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/257513/volume30/
International orders are not barred from ebookjapan as mine (Swede here) went through just fine.

Personal impressions/thoughts about the comic:

It's nicely drawn (imo), and I have no trouble discerning most of the fonts.
The comic itself is 39 pages long.
This comic is the first one featured in this Zero Sum issue. (So I don't need to flip far to find it).
The majority of this chapter appears to be a flashback to the days at the Northern Fortress.
I can't discern which "route" the comic is following, there's a panel that seems to hint that it's not Conquest though.

I can jot down a page-by-page descritption summary if anyone is more curious to it's content. It will take a while to type up though - might be done late this evening/tomorrow if rl allows. However, since my japanese is rubbish I want to note that I'm not going to attempt any proper translations, but what I can glean I'll make note of.

21 hours ago, Hardin said:

I believe he was talking about the pic in the OP, how Leo is less prominent compared to Corrin.

23 hours ago, Hardin said:

coverYcXOvbvU.jpg

Sees cover and has a Saiyuki fangirl moment.  I hope someone will do a fan translation of the Leo manga soon so I can read it since I still need to learn Japanese.

On 28/01/2017 at 10:18 PM, Thane said:

Goodness, everyone looks so done.

Why did you have you say this ? This is the only thing I can see now ! :p

Crown of Nibelungen ? Anything to do with the ring ? Eh.

I forgot to mention this in my previous post, the comic's next chapter will be released in Zero Sum issue 4 on 28th of February. (If I'm reading the blurb on the comic's last page right)

Anyway...It's later than I said it would be, but here's a summary of pages 1-20 (so spoilers for the comic ahoy):

Spoiler

Page 1: As is sometimes customary in manga, the first page is in colour. Features Leo entering...Xander's study in what I presume is Krakenburg. 

Pages 2 - 3 : Leo is talking to Xander - it appears/sounds serious. Camilla and Corrin are mentioned in the dialogue.

Page 4: Elise storms in, followed by Effie. She's her chipper self. 

Page 6: But...it doesn't last long as Elise becomes visibly upset (to the point of crying) about something Xander says.

Pages 7 -8 : Leo is reflecting about Corrin after leaving Xander's study. The last panel on page 7 shows Corrin from behind with Azura, Jakob, Kaze(?) (could be Saizo technically), Sakura, Subaki, and Hana(?) (all are shown from behind).

*This seems to suggest that we're either talking about Birthright or Revelations, I also note Azura's name in that same panel*

Pages 9 - 10 : A brief mention on Hoshido's bountiful lands and the Nohrian famine (which appears to be due to crop failure).

*Note from page 11 and onwards; the story appears to be a flashback to life at the Northern Fortress since there's a "Previously/Earlier.." headline on the page. It doesn't say how far back though.*

Page 11: Leo and Xander are riding with a convoy towards the snowy Northern Fortress. (Also Winter cloaks! Cool.)

Page 12: Xander is talking to a solider at the drawbridge. I think I see a mention of Peri's name in the dialogue. I also spy Iago's name on this page.

Page 13: Camilla and Elise arrive on Camilla's wyvern. (And yes, Camilla is wearing a winter cloak, as is Elise)

Page 14: Camilla and Elise chat with Corrin in the courtyard.

Page 15: It appears that by going with Camilla on her wyvern, Elise forgot her own mount, fortunately Leo kept track of it for her.

Page 16: The siblings enter the fortress. Gunter, Lilith, Jakob, Flora and Felicia are present.  Corrin mentions to Leo that she has had help from Flora on a sewing project. (At least I think that's the gist of it)

Page 17: Leo is on his own and he's thinking to himself, it concerns Garon, and the fact that the Nohrian royals possess Dragon's Blood.

Page 18: Then he recalls it's almost dinner time and as such, it's time to get changed. He thinks to himself that he wants to make a good/dignified impression(?) In the last panel, Elise enters his room with her classic cheery disposition.

Page 19: Following Elise is Camilla and Corrin and...Corrin's sewing project is shown off, turns out she's made three matching dresses for herself, Camilla and Elise. (they slightly remind me of Nordic folk dresses).  Also, Camilla with braided hair is adorable. And no, Camilla's is not remotely fanservicey if you were wondering.

Page 20: Leo and Corrin chat on the way to dinner. 

And...that's it for now, I'll get to the rest of the pages when rl allows.

(Sorry for the potentially bad formating of this post, I'm on my phone and thus, can't format properly)

Edit: Or spell properly either. Blegh.

Edited by Tactician_Iris
Spelling correction

On 29/1/2017 at 6:50 AM, Tactician_Iris said:

If you don't mind having the magazine in an e-book format, ebookjapan has the Zero Sum magazine: https://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/257513/volume30/

International orders are not barred from ebookjapan as mine (Swede here) went through just fine.

Saddly shipping is a bit expensive in Mexico so, buying a magazine every month sounds expensive to me, specially if I'm only buying it for some pages... I just hope that one day it get a compilation book, then at least I could buy it along with other stuffs

Edited by SniperGYS