ITT: Soul ranks FE10 characters

Junkhead

I want to do this because it's really fun and I really enjoy FE10 and the characters are cute and I really enjoy effeciency-based playstyle. 

Da Rules

Hard Mode: What better way to base a character's performance by pitting them against what the game has to offer?

No Grinding and/or Turtling: Self-Explanatory.

In a Vacuum: ...sort of?: I know I won't be penalising characters for using resources that "could be better used on others", unless said investment doesn't really make a difference (i.e Fiona).

Turns and The What-Not: While it's definitely not strict LTC, I'll be ocassionally referencing my own experience on the manner or others' (like Ruadath's o Numbers). And no, this is not me using personal experience to justify the roll on the dice. 

Turn-shaving definitely adds to a character's score (because, if possible, why not?), but we're not blitzing through it either.

Averages: I mean, they'll definitely be a thing. But as far as including BEXP to the formula, it's something that I'll expand on as I remember what to put here. we'll see. 

Micaiah

Among casual players (and I mean this in the least offensive way possible), it's very easy to overlook Micaiah's role and dismiss her as but another ''squishy mage'' with hardly anything to offer. You know, other than pretty much being an Archer with non-existent durability. However, the squeeze of the juice comes in the form of something rather ununsual, but still brings something quite useful to the table...

She can consistently 2HKO enemies, and Thani even allows her to 1HKO very stubborn enemies, such as Knights and Cavaliers (both of which happen to be a few of the bosses, coincidentally). Come 1-4, and you can actually aid on her non-existent limited Player Phase by being able to equip Wrath, and even further-improve her offense (for whatever it's worth, you can put her next to Sothe for an extra +10% Crit.). By Part 3, she gets a base C-Rank in staves, which meaans she's basically entitled to Physic (assuming you aren't using Laura, but it's there).

I think Micaiah's worth is actually in how solidly she is able to contribute with very little-to-no investment. This is even assuming you aren't training her "seriously" (such as constantly feeding kills).

Edward

I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of people that underrate this guy. Either a lot of people have been playing HM, or...I got nothing. 

I do admit that to use Edward to his full potential (which you should, otherwise why even bother), you have to put in the work early on- which isn't actually all that hard, assuming you're doing this right. For starters, a big misunderstanding I'd like to clear up: Wrath isn't the double-edged sword a lot of people seem to think. Yeah, if he kills the guy in front of him and you have another 3 lining up on him, it sucks. But guess what? You take control of that. Just like you decide to let your Archers or your Clerics get hit, you decide where to put him. He's obviously not taking up hordes at the start, and that's okay. Edward's actually responsible for making earlygame chapters run quicker.

Now that that's settled, Edward is actually a fucking killing machine by Part 3. He has ridiculous offensive capability in the form of Wrath, Resolve and Caladbolg. And not only that, given that you are supporting him with an Earth, he has Resolve, Earth (+23% Avo) + the extra 8 Luck from Caladbolg. He gets his own kills and rises up the ranks really quickly, likely becoming one of your main Ike Slayers .

Do I think he's made obselete by Zihark's existence? Well, I mean, if you're not training him to his actual potential, of course that'll happen. I'll be getting to that, obviously. I definitely give him credit for his first 6 chapters.

Leonardo

So you got an Archer that heavily excels at Hitrates...and that's about it- in paper, that is. Yeah, he's got a handful of issue, such as poor offense (pretty much outclassed by Micaiah & Ilyana at base), quickly-decaying defence (enemy Archers start 1HKO'ing him by 1-3) and the close-to-nonexistent Player Phase. This is all, of course, assuming you're bringing up a base-level Leonardo all the time. But since we are using him, we'll be just:

He doesn't really have a ton going for him earlygame, but every bit of chip damage sort of helps. He'll be a little busy taking some kills, but hopefully that's all for the better. Right? Right???? Starting 1-4, you're given access to Forges. This helps him out start to close the gap between him and Micaiah & Ilyana, but he's still falling short on on the 2HKO (even with a +1 Atk from supports). He desperately needs kills to get going, and enemies just get stronger and more durable about as quick, if not quicker than he does. His defence isn't getting any better anytime soon, either. 

Thankfully, a lot of his value...lies in his very Part 3 performance. Get the guy to level 10. Seal. Slap on Beastfoe and a Crossbow. Instant utility...for a chapter or two. I mean, it's something. A lot of what he does afterwards will depend on whether or not you've been investing on him this whole time, or if you used him solely for this ocassion (fucking Nolan do the exact same thing and 20 times more).

I really tried, but he doesn't really become close to "good", let alone spectacular as you'd expect from all the investment. 

Nolan

There used to be a ton of Chuck Norris references associated to him back in the day, and I guess it's not entirely far-fetched. Granted, he isn't exactly as fantastic as we once thought he was, but he's still really good. 

Here comes the guy that can actually take more than two hits, when the rest of your kids can barely take one. Couple to that, the ability to actually retaliate and be able to kill most things in two hits yourself. Nolan is godsent before Sothe exists, if even for one and half's chapter of glory. Once people like Sothe, Volug and the pre-promotes start to show up, he's obviously not that great- of course, that doesn't take away from most of what he has to offer. Like a lot of Part 1's, his shining moment comes in the stead of what's yet to come: Parts 3 & 4. And if Nolan is known for something, it's for being one of your best frontliners when most of your peeps struggle to take 1-2 hits (say, from Tigers). You've got stuff like Beastfoe to have kill oblirate Laguz with stuff like the Crossbow, Tarvos for a meaty +4 Def (whom he can also pair with someone like Leonardo, Jill or Aran for extra Def) and even Resolve, which further amplafies his solid durability (combined with the fact he's an Earth, who can also support another Earth).

17/3 Nolan, (start of 3-6):

HP: 44 (Angelic Robe)
Str: 17
Skill: 19
Spd: 17
Luck: 13
Def: 15 + 4 (Dracoshield) + Tarvos

This Nolan can take two hits from the strongest Tigers (41 Atk Tigers, which are, like, two). Average Tigers have roughly 39 Atk and Cats about 29 Atk (strongest ones peak at 31).

If you factor in a +Def support, that's a +2 Def, meaning he might not even need the Dracoshield.

Part 4 is a walk in the park.

Current status:

Best

??

Jill (9.5)

Among best in the game

Sothe (9)

Volug (9)

Zihark (8.5)

High

Edward (8.5)

Nolan (8.5)

Aran (8)

Upper Mid

Micaiah (7)

Laura (7)

Mid

Tauroneo (5)

Lower Mid

Low

Leonardo (3,5)

Ilyana (3.5)

Something Below Low

Meg (i dont fucking know)

Literal Existence Is To Make Meg Look Salvagable

Fiona (Why bother)

Edited by Soul~!
formats are really fucking weird in this new thang

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Micaiah and Laura don't even need to share the Physic because they get access to two of them on 3-12, but I agree with the score you gave her. I find Micaiah to be one of the most underrated units, especially among the lords, none of the other lords can stay useful without investment other than Micaiah.

Edited by Sweet_Basil

I love these topics.

I feel like Edward is a bit too high, especially when compared to Nolan. I find Nolan to be more consistent because he's defensive by tanking, rather than by dodgetanking. I guess given all the resources you're giving him (largely Resolve), I can see the score justified though. When is he promoting for you?

I assume that first tiers generally promote at the start of 1-E. You can feasibly get Nolan, Edward & Jill to lvl.16-18 without BEXP, and Aran probably to lvl.15. I'm also included badass setups like that because they end up making the very best of it. If you give every statbooster and resource to Jill, you know it's not going to waste since she'll pretty much be Haar 2.0. Same logic applies to these characters I rated high.

Let's say you give Edward a Secret Book (hardly competed for). At lvl.17, he would have capped HP, Skill and Speed, giving him room to bring up stats like Str, Luck & Def with BEXP (which is only three levels). Considering BEXP prioritises the highest growths and those three are capped, he would end up looking like this at 20/1:

HP: 32
Str: 19
Skill: 21
Spd: 21
Luck: 17
Def: 13
Res: 5

You can also even further patch up his durability by giving him one of your spare Angelic Robes (which would put him at 37 HP) & the Dracoshield (15 Def). Supporting him with an Earth helps a fuckton, including an extra +2 Def.

Once he gets past 3-6, he's a legend. 

Laura

Standard healer. Gets doubled and 1HKO'd by everything that exists (except Mages but fuck those). 

For keeping people alive, she instantly deserves a 6. While there isn't a whole lot of depth to it, there's the fact that she does have rather insane combat potential. Silly stuff like the triple 70's in her Mag/Skill/Spd allows for some interesing BEXP slowplay, granted that you are even willing to spend as much on her. If you really want to take full advantage of her growths, the only solution is turtling. 

Sothe

This guy. Super underrated. Top 5 in the game, and I'm not even exaggerating. 

To get a thief-like unit be the "Jeigan" of the team, single-handedly carry about 80-90% of the hardest parts in the game is so intricate. It's almost an irony, but it isn't. 

Sothe is solidly durable, 1RKO's enemies consistently with great 2-range (forges are definitely a thing). Now, I did hear people think Sothe isn't all that great, because he's apparently "competing" with the other pre-promotes. Tauroneo doesn't match his mobility and realistically exists for one Part 1 chapter, Zihark loses in offense and durability (I mean, if you do keep Adept, it's a 1RKO vs. 1RKO, except Sothe doesn't rely on it), Volug lacks 2-range and the previous three chapters has on him, etc. 

To sum it up, he does a ton with very low investment the hardest parts of the game, and only truly slows down by the time everyone can hold their own (aka Easy Mode Part 4).

Edited by Soul~!
Sothe; 9.5 > 9

Call me biased or crazy, but I could never rate any of the Myrms higher than a 7 in RD. They just fall off SO hard in the mid-late game that I feel like it's entirely pointless to raise any of them up(Especially Edward), even on Hard. It takes a while for Edward to get going, then he's useful for about 5 chapters before he's obsolete again.

Zihark is semi-useful, as he can carry the DB in the chapters he's around, but otherwise, yeah. Really, really not a fan of them in FE10.

Funny. I think this is one of their best incarnations. With stuff like Adept and Wrath, it adds that much more value in them (and they can stack it up with their innate critical).

Sothe slows down by part 4 because because everyone starts focusing on Jill and the second character they're raising, but I wonder if he can keep up if he was the focus of the babying going on in part 3.

Edited by Sweet_Basil

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Call me biased or crazy, but I could never rate any of the Myrms higher than a 7 in RD. They just fall off SO hard in the mid-late game that I feel like it's entirely pointless to raise any of them up(Especially Edward), even on Hard. It takes a while for Edward to get going, then he's useful for about 5 chapters before he's obsolete again.

Zihark is semi-useful, as he can carry the DB in the chapters he's around, but otherwise, yeah. Really, really not a fan of them in FE10.

I kinda agree - Edward has it especially bad since he needs a lot of TLC just to get anywhere, then part 3 gives him a big middle finger (and that ain't even getting into Zihark practically rendering him obsolete).

21 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

Funny. I think this is one of their best incarnations. With stuff like Adept and Wrath, it adds that much more value in them (and they can stack it up with their innate critical).

My rule of thumb for whether or not a unit is worth using in the long run: Is it physically possible/practical for them to harm Dheginsea? Defense skyrockets over the course of the game for enemy units, and Dheginsea is, in my experience, a good measuring stick to whether or not a unit will be worthwhile in the late game. Even if you get ridiculously lucky with forging(You'd need to max out might on a Silver Sword and get at least a +2 Might bonus), it is practically impossible for any of the myrms to do even 1 damage to Dheginsea. Which to me, means that these units won't cut it as the game goes on. Sword Saints wield the weakest(Well, second weakest after knives) physical weapons and have an utterly pathetic strength cap.

For Edward to even stay viable for more than a handful of part 3 chapters, you need to baby him a lot. Which is fine, we all have units we like and love giving all the EXP to when we can, but I don't think giving preferential treatment to a unit necessitates a high score. Otherwise, Fiona wouldn't be considered one of, if not THE worst unit in the game. At least with other units who could never hope to dent Dheginsea, like Sothe or Zihark, function as semi-Oifayes, who help a lot with carrying weaker units. Edward doesn't get this.

That's just my take.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

My rule of thumb for whether or not a unit is worth using in the long run: Is it physically possible/practical for them to harm Dheginsea? Defense skyrockets over the course of the game for enemy units, and Dheginsea is, in my experience, a good measuring stick to whether or not a unit will be worthwhile in the late game. Even if you get ridiculously lucky with forging(You'd need to max out might on a Silver Sword and get at least a +2 Might bonus), it is practically impossible for any of the myrms to do even 1 damage to Dheginsea. Which to me, means that these units won't cut it as the game goes on. Sword Saints wield the weakest(Well, second weakest after knives) physical weapons and have an utterly pathetic strength cap.

Thankfully Trueblades have Wyrmslayers for your arbitrary rule (as Dheg has the highest defense in the game).

Capped Str Edward with Wyrmslayer has 65 Attack on Dheg and doubles. This deals 30 damage to Dheg, without anything like Blood Tide or supports to impact it.

For reference, 65 attack can only be reached with:

- Urvan Boyd w/ +Attack support; doesn't double

- any mage with Thoron/Rexbolt (though they get OHKOed in the process most of the time)

- Caineghis/Giffca, but they don't double

- Wyrmslayer Gold Knight/Marshall, though they don't double

The opportunity cost of blessing a Wyrmslayer instead of Alondite/Vague Katti isn't even that high considering that physical defense is rather low in the final two maps given all of the magic enemies you fight.

4 hours ago, Ema Skye said:

Thankfully Trueblades have Wyrmslayers for your arbitrary rule (as Dheg has the highest defense in the game).

Capped Str Edward with Wyrmslayer has 65 Attack on Dheg and doubles. This deals 30 damage to Dheg, without anything like Blood Tide or supports to impact it.

For reference, 65 attack can only be reached with:

- Urvan Boyd w/ +Attack support; doesn't double

- any mage with Thoron/Rexbolt (though they get OHKOed in the process most of the time)

- Caineghis/Giffca, but they don't double

- Wyrmslayer Gold Knight/Marshall, though they don't double

The opportunity cost of blessing a Wyrmslayer instead of Alondite/Vague Katti isn't even that high considering that physical defense is rather low in the final two maps given all of the magic enemies you fight.

I thought it was implied that I meant without the use of weakness exploiting weapons like the Wyrmslayer. That kind of ignores my "general rule of thumb for enemy defense scaling in the late game by using Dheginsea as a measuring stick" point entirely. That's why I said "practically impossible", and not just "impossible". Yes, Dheginsea has the highest defense in the game, but most enemies in the mid-late game have ridiculously high defense, even on Normal. And blessing a Wyrmslayer is a decent idea, but it's useful for only the one map, and Zihark would be more useful in the last two maps, since Edward gets shredded by magic

Edited by Slumber

Also I'm a bit curious that you gave slightly different rankings to a few characters than in my thread.

Anyways I normally would give all ranked characters a lower ranking except for Leonardo.

I don't repeat everything what I mentioned in my thread. Only want to say a few things:

• Sothe would get a 9 or 9.5 in part 1, but I have to judge the other parts too. In 3-6 and 3-13 he's a great player phase unit but nothing special anymore. 3-12 can be a really bad chapter for him if he gets tworounded. In 4-P he can be pretty alright... but after the late promotion he won't be able to do much anymore. He'll technically stay level 1 when he enters the tower. You must be really lucky with his speed if he can do serious stuff there. I don't find Sothe underrated, because his endgame perfomance is simply not enough to give him >=9.
  • Personally Leonardo > Aran in HM because Leo is the only real range weapon user in part 3 and Lugnasadh makes him pretty alright. If he reached 15 speed, he doesn't even need beastfoe. One crit would onerund 16 AS tigers. He also has a few uses in part 1: In 1-6-1 against the peggies and in 1-5, 1-7 and 1-E to chip with the longbow. He's a bad archer, sure, but still helpful enough for the DB.
  • Find it interesting that Edward and Nolan got the same rating (did it too btw). I find Edward better overall in part 1 because of his speed while I find Nolan better later on because of his bulkyness and earth-affinity. Both have the same use for the party in total for me.

Micaiah and Laura don't even need to share the Physic because they get access to two of them on 3-12, but I agree with the score you gave her. I find Micaiah to be one of the most underrated units, especially among the lords, none of the other lords can stay useful without investment other than Micaiah.

You can buy a second physic stave in 3-13.

Edited by Eleanor Hume

Let me explain why you are objectively wrong about everything...

Nah, your explainations are solid, even though I would weigh things differently than you. For example, I still think that the investment into Eddy is pretty high and the payoff isn't that important, so I still see him as an average unit.

I'm curious to see which units you actually see as bad.

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

I thought it was implied that I meant without the use of weakness exploiting weapons like the Wyrmslayer. That kind of ignores my "general rule of thumb for enemy defense scaling in the late game by using Dheginsea as a measuring stick" point entirely. That's why I said "practically impossible", and not just "impossible". Yes, Dheginsea has the highest defense in the game, but most enemies in the mid-late game have ridiculously high defense, even on Normal.

But not nearly as high as Dheginsea. After him, the next highest are:

Sephiran, 45 def (Parity can lower this)
Corner auras, 40 def (Parity can lower this)
Levail, 39 def (Parity can lower this, and his res is super-low anyway)
Red Dragons, ~36 def
Generals, 30-32 def
Side auras, 30 def

That's it. Everything else has over 20 less def than Dheginsea. Using him as your sole benchmark is ridiculous.

Swordmasters have pretty good offence by endgame standards, because they double, without Nasir's help even. They're likely you're best units except certain laguz royals against the side auras, for instance. They double and ORKO most spirits. They have wyrmslayer access for E-3. They double the speedy enemies like snipers and warriors in E-2. Only in E-1 are they unimpressive offensively.

That said I think Edward is way too high, but I've said as much in the other thread so I don't really want to go into it here.

Speaking of, I find the assessment that Wrath isn't a double-edged sword for Edward to be a load of bull. Short of using wind edges, which aren't exactly awe-inspiring weapons (60 hit and 6 might on top of that), he always has to risk eating counters.

You'd want Wrath+Resolve so that the counters wont hit him.

€: Also, this. :D I think most points have already been made.

7 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

That said I think Edward is way too high, but I've said as much in the other thread so I don't really want to go into it here.

Edited by ping

8.5 is a fair rating for his peformance in part 1 because he can do A LOT.

As for part 3 Edward will fall behind a bit due to his squishyness. Resolve on him doesn't work as great as for Zihark because of lacking evasion in his affinity.

Honestly I'm glad that at least one other person besides me noticed Edward's potential in HM.

I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of people that underrate this guy. Either a lot of people have been playing HM, or...I got nothing. 

Yet... aren't these ratings based on HM? I'm confused.

As others have mentioned Edward needs quite a bit of investment (around the same as Aran) to remain solid. And his "potential" is no better than other units or Swordmasters in general. Everyone in this game cap-rams their stats anyway so eh... Wrath is nice but always seems to be more practical on ranged units. There's a lot of cool things you can do with it early on though and therefore Edward's performance for a few maps is solid enough (for that alone I'd rate him at least a 6 or so). It's just that in hard mode, his evasion is shakier than it should be. And cannot make much use of BEXP to 'fill out' certain stats that he might want. As its extremely limited. He also doesn't have the broken Earth affinity to make him the super dodge tank that Zihark, Volug or Nolan can be.

Leo deserves more credit because chip damage becomes more valuable in hard mode to bring enemies in kill territory (so they cannot damage you). And his performance in 1-5 and 1-6-1 is pretty solid due to ledges and pegasi.

Then part 3 comes along and he literally becomes one of the best units you have for a couple maps. And then can become a decent filler unit in 4-5 as well if need be (same can be said for anyone with a crossbow I suppose). That does deserve a higher score than you gave him. I'd say a 5 is about right, IMO.

Other ratings seem solid enough. You may be overstating Laura's potential as well though. Her caps are so bad. Needs to be 20/7 just to double Tigers because of it.

Honestly I'm glad that at least one other person besides me noticed Edward's potential in HM.

"I'm right and others are wrong about this, except you". You might not have not meant it that way... but there's a lot of good arguments against his performance. I know that you disagree that there isn't 'favouritism' involved but it's hard not to see it that way when you have to force yourself to play HM notably slower to raise/use him throughout part 1 (his squishiness often means you have to play conservatively with him and/or he needs to chug a vulnerary every other turn or force Laura to heal him constantly). The healing thing is kinda a big deal when it comes to playing efficiently, regardless of what he's killing/isn't killing. His evasion on HM is not very good.

He's far better in NM due to dodging axe users, being able to utilize BEXP, and generally just enemies being in kill-range more often. And higher EXP amounts for him to reach his potential faster.

But this discussion has already been done to death so I'll leave it here.

Edited by DLuna

25 minutes ago, ping said:

You'd want Wrath+Resolve so that the counters wont hit him.

Yeah, because Edward magically got 5 more max capacity and can use it in first tier... Oh, wait, no he didn't. Also, there's the part where Ed might fall low enough to fall into Resolve range, but not low enough that Wrath is active as well, and is too low to take another hit without being left pushing up daisies.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 hour ago, DLuna said:

He's far better in NM due to dodging axe users, being able to utilize BEXP, and generally just enemies being in kill-range more often. And higher EXP amounts for him to reach his potential faster.

I don't really think NM/HM makes much difference for Edward, honestly. It's not like he dodges axes with any reliability in Part 1, either. I almost always play NM due to my dislike of HM's mechanics and I find Edward pretty consistently mediocre since he's often 2HKOed even on NM, and if anything his "payoff" in part 3 is even worse since the enemies are easier to double in NM (thus removing what small advantage he has over Jill, for instance).

21 hours ago, Soul~! said:

I assume that first tiers generally promote at the start of 1-E. You can feasibly get Nolan, Edward & Jill to lvl.16-18 without BEXP, and Aran probably to lvl.15. I'm also included badass setups like that because they end up making the very best of it. If you give every statbooster and resource to Jill, you know it's not going to waste since she'll pretty much be Haar 2.0. Same logic applies to these characters I rated high.

This seems like a lot of Exp to me-  I can only get two of those units to level 15+ on Hard Mode. Granted, I do stuff like dropping Tauroneo in 1-6(2) so there's a lot of unused exp there in exchange for turns.

Edited by -Cynthia-

39 minutes ago, -Cynthia- said:

This seems like a lot of Exp to me-  I can only get two of those units to level 15+ on Hard Mode. Granted, I do stuff like dropping Tauroneo in 1-6(2) so there's a lot of unused exp there in exchange for turns.

I've noticed that it's the one map they could use to reach level 20 and possible a 3rd unit to 15+.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I don't really think NM/HM makes much difference for Edward, honestly. It's not like he dodges axes with any reliability in Part 1, either. I almost always play NM due to my dislike of HM's mechanics and I find Edward pretty consistently mediocre since he's often 2HKOed even on NM, and if anything his "payoff" in part 3 is even worse since the enemies are easier to double in NM (thus removing what small advantage he has over Jill, for instance).

yeah i think he's average/mediocre in nm, while straight up bad in hm.  he's usable in nm, but needs a lot of kills fed to him, and doesn't really pay off until the end of part 3.  so basically all that work for 2-3 chapters that can still be just as easy without him.  part 4 is where he can do cool stuff, but this is where he's least needed.  

29 minutes ago, Radiant head said:

yeah i think he's average/mediocre in nm, while straight up bad in hm.  he's usable in nm, but needs a lot of kills fed to him, and doesn't really pay off until the end of part 3.  so basically all that work for 2-3 chapters that can still be just as easy without him.  part 4 is where he can do cool stuff, but this is where he's least needed.  

That's anyone in the DB, except maybe Volug.

Edited by Sweet_Basil

42 minutes ago, Sweet_Basil said:

That's anyone in the DB, except maybe Volug.

I would argue Jill as well. The payoff is almost immediate. At the latest, she's paid for any investments by 3-6.