"Story"?

SSJDennis

I think I've heard/read this somewhere, but this game is supposed to have a main story, right?

How will that work out? Especially since we use "small" maps. I can't see us recruiting units during battles by talking to them.

Will we just "summon" them around, little bit like Cross Edge/Project X Zone did? Feels like that to me thus far.

How many story battles to expect? One for each FE seems logical, with the main villian summoning the final bosses with their generals around.

Then one more chapter to finish the game and open up link/wifi battles? That seems to become the main attraction to the game.

Buying DLC weapons for additional money, more EXP or much stronger skills?

Really can't wait to start playing XD

Mobages like these with large ammounts of characters usually follow one of three types of story structure:

1. An "Excuse Plot" with little to no writing at all.
  2. Minimal writing + a few short scenarios with a focus on one character.
  3. Short stories with a normal narrative structure with each following a small set of characters.

I hope it follows type 3, having so many characters but having no interaction between them would be a waste.

All the answers we seek are coming. This Thursday.

... Oh man, that's really soon, just like my finals, ahaha.

But I think the story will revolve like this: Two kingdom fights to the death for whatever reason. Then, a bigger threat shows up. The two Kingdoms allies and take down the villain. 

3 minutes ago, OakTree said:

Mobages like these with large ammounts of characters usually follow one of three types of story structure:

1. An "Excuse Plot" with little to no writing at all.
  2. Minimal writing + a few short scenarios with a focus on one character.
  3. Short stories with a normal narrative structure with each following a small set of characters.

I hope it follows type 3, having so many characters but having no interaction between them would be a waste.

Oh hell yeah. 

If the story is just what they showed in the trailer, it'll probably be the equivalent of playing Awakening with an army completely made up of Einherjar.

Alternatively they could go for a time travel/dimension-hopping plot where there are a series of short stories where they go to all the various continents with campaigns based on the different games.

It always feels like such a waste when a mobile game has great characters and the potential to create a really great story, but chooses to toss the story/writing in favor of gameplay.  I'm curious to see how they handle the character summoning, but I think it'll probably just be something about the summoning gun shooting out Einherjar.  Somehow I don't see them putting in the effort to create a complex dimensional traveling plot where they actually meet characters from different games.  I wish they would.

It'll be probably something akin to a fighting game storyline, very light and general with more of a focus on gameplay. I doubt the brand new characters are there for show, especially since that one guy with the mask was just called "mysterious man" in the trailer. They wouldn't just leave him like that, I think. So, even if it's really minor, I bet there will be something.

I think it's impossible to argue that having so many characters, many of which it's safe to assume are randomly obtainable, I think there's not really any way to properly integrate most of the characters into the story. I'm expecting the story to be fairly light and to focus pretty solely on the characters they made up for the game, and probably some talking at the player a la FE7 as well. Expecting anyone else to be involved with the story, honestly, is kinda unreasonable I feel. 

As for the gameplay part of the story, we see during part of the direct video that there are story maps dedicated for plot progression, presumably, along with Arena Duels (PVP I think?), the Training Tower, and Special Maps (what I would assume to be limited time promo events and such). There's also a '???' that we don't know what is yet. 

3 hours ago, BANRYU said:

I think it's impossible to argue that having so many characters, many of which it's safe to assume are randomly obtainable, I think there's not really any way to properly integrate most of the characters into the story. I'm expecting the story to be fairly light and to focus pretty solely on the characters they made up for the game, and probably some talking at the player a la FE7 as well. Expecting anyone else to be involved with the story, honestly, is kinda unreasonable I feel. 

I agree with this completely, I actually expect all the characters to be obtained by random though.

6 minutes ago, Blade_of_Light said:

I agree with this completely, I actually expect all the characters to be obtained by random though.

Well we know that we'll probably start with the weapon triangle trio showcased in the beginning of the FEH portion of the direct, but... beyond that, yeah. The only units I imagine will have scripted join times would be the ones created for the game, haha. I don't care much about Veronica and masked dude, but I imagine they'll even be obtainable at some point. 

4 hours ago, BANRYU said:

As for the gameplay part of the story, we see during part of the direct video that there are story maps dedicated for plot progression, presumably, along with Arena Duels (PVP I think?), the Training Tower, and Special Maps (what I would assume to be limited time promo events and such). There's also a '???' that we don't know what is yet. 

You could possibly have set allied party members (green units or guest units) during story sections.  The game Fate/Grand Order also has you roll random characters, but there are set characters who aid you at different points in the story.

For instance, you could be going through a campaign that takes you through Tellius or is generally Tellius-centered and the game gives you Ike and Elincia as allies during certain parts.

From the website: "As you progress through the story, you will meet and bid farewell to many allies. Which will you choose, and how will you use their skills?" 

It would be interesting if this was related to the plot and story, but I suspect it's more likely just referring to the gameplay.  Perhaps you can only have a limited number of peeps so you have to delete some off your roster?

26 minutes ago, The Geek said:

You could possibly have set allied party members (green units or guest units) during story sections.  The game Fate/Grand Order also has you roll random characters, but there are set characters who aid you at different points in the story.

For instance, you could be going through a campaign that takes you through Tellius or is generally Tellius-centered and the game gives you Ike and Elincia as allies during certain parts.

I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility! But I wouldn't say I'm exactly expecting them to go that route either. 

15 minutes ago, mewyeon said:

From the website: "As you progress through the story, you will meet and bid farewell to many allies. Which will you choose, and how will you use their skills?" 

It would be interesting if this was related to the plot and story, but I suspect it's more likely just referring to the gameplay.  Perhaps you can only have a limited number of peeps so you have to delete some off your roster?

This is a possibility... I played a Digimon mobile game for a while that seems somewhat similar to this one, and it had limited character slots as well, with buyable upgrades for more space (doable with in-game currency as well as freemium stuff). So... that COULD be a possibility...? Although I kinda hope not, it was a pain to manage in that game. 

5 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

The story will be about an old man that lost his cards.

gdi Hubba I stg if dealing with those is too much for you, pass'em off to a proper collector

2 hours ago, The Geek said:

I'm not too sure how many green units you could fit on an 8x6 map, assuming you get the full amount of blue ones. That said, having main story -related campaigns would be cool, though I doubt it as of now. Perhaps they could release something like those as special events if the story doesn't go like that though.

1 hour ago, BANRYU said:

This is a possibility... I played a Digimon mobile game for a while that seems somewhat similar to this one, and it had limited character slots as well, with buyable upgrades for more space (doable with in-game currency as well as freemium stuff). So... that COULD be a possibility...? Although I kinda hope not, it was a pain to manage in that game.

Was that game Digimon Heroes, by any chance? :P:

Because that game had horrendous inventory management, even by my mobile game standards

7 hours ago, Sylphid said:

Was that game Digimon Heroes, by any chance? :P:

Because that game had horrendous inventory management, even by my mobile game standards

it was ~3o And I don't doubt that, Digimon games are... as a general rule, not the best haha ;; a starving fan takes what one can get though =3=;;

its most likely gonna resolve to getting to a location, and the bad guys using their gun to summon their heroes to fight your heroes. lets not forget the enemy armys can also use heroes as well.

On 1/29/2017 at 10:37 PM, The Geek said:

Now that the game is out, you were actually pretty close :) We don't get those allies, but we still go through the 'worlds'.

Also, can I say that the premise is actually really cute? When the Direct video said 'you've been summoned to battle!' I didn't realize they meant it literally! Being summoned from our 'world' by Anna was a really clever writing trick, I think :3

Story is a bit basic, but I'll put what I have experienced thus far in spoilers just in case. However, I will say "don't expect much in terms of storytelling here and just enjoy the crazy ride." It's a simple crossover story explanation, the main purpose here is the gameplay and fanservice.

Story wise the game is rather basic. You have the classic two kingdoms fighting each other over control of "gates" which connects to different worlds (FE games). Then there is a contract that binds a conquered world to the conquerer unless the liberator frees the world by defeating the inhabitants in combat. Rinse and repeat to liberate each world until (theoretically) the final showdown.

Thus far...

Prologue: World of Zenith (Original - "Heroes World")
Chapter 1: World of Mystery (New Mystery)
Chapter 2: World of Conquest (Fates - Conquest)
Chapter 3: World of Binding (Binding Blade)
[I think there are 9 total chapters currently, but I don't know what the other worlds are yet. Also, besides the Prologue, each chapter is separated into 5 maps.]

Don't expect much in terms of storytelling here and just enjoy the crazy ride. Maybe they may pull a stunt later that tugs at something (some random lines [Matthew's] tug at nostalgia due to a simple mention of something of great import) but so far it's the standard "crossover story" nonsense.

No Project X Zone quality writing here, but FE Heroes is good and fun for what it is worth so far.

Edited by Sire

1 hour ago, mewyeon said:

Now that the game is out, you were actually pretty close :) We don't get those allies, but we still go through the 'worlds'.

Also, can I say that the premise is actually really cute? When the Direct video said 'you've been summoned to battle!' I didn't realize they meant it literally! Being summoned from our 'world' by Anna was a really clever writing trick, I think :3

Yeah, I think the extremely simplistic premise works well for this sort of game. It's simple and flexible enough that they could do whatever they want really down the line.

I mean...how many more worlds are there going to be? After you tour through everyone's world, are they going to keep going back to the same worlds for more? I feel like there's only so much you can do with that, eventually.  

Edited by mewyeon

So...regarding the story.

Spoiler

There's only nine chapters so far, and it is very much not over. So, I'm a bit confused as to if they plan on just adding more chapters. releasing a Heroes 2, or what.

24 minutes ago, Dai said:

So...regarding the story.

Hide contents

There's only nine chapters so far, and it is very much not over. So, I'm a bit confused as to if they plan on just adding more chapters. releasing a Heroes 2, or what.

Games like these add more content over time, so I expect we'll probably see more story chapters in ~2 weeks probably.