FE:Oh! 5/19 Echoes release Celebration Spriting Comp - Closed!

Lenh

It's time to celebrate another Fire Emblem game release with a contest! Similar to the FE:Awake! contest of ages past, this is a chance to show off your skills, celebrate as a community, and nab a chance to win a copy of the latest FE game.

Contest Theme:

In the spirit of how Shadows of Valentia is drawing from the spirit of Gaiden with a new spin, transform a character or scene from any of the Fire Emblem games into a new pixel art interpretation!

Timeline:

-       Feb 1, 2017 -> April 2 8: Contest Open for Submissions

-    Saturday April 8th :Submission Deadline

-      April 9th -> 15th : Voting Time!

-       April 16th : Results, Lottery Time

-       April 20 : ファイアーエムブレム エコーズ もうひとりの英雄王 JP release date

-       Friday, May 19 : Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia US release date

Current Status:  Putting up results / closing

Rules And Errata:

Spoiler

Format Requirements:

- Entries must qualify as pixel art. That typically means you operate with a limited color palette and have conscious control of pixel placement, if you need a better idea begin here and if you have any specific questions feel free to ask the host. Note it doesn't need to follow FE-GBA standards, so you're free to take chances at an alternate style of pixel art if you choose, as long as it's still pixel art.

- Maximum image size is 256x192 (the resolution of a single NDS Screen). You can go smaller, but no larger.

- No animations, no alpha transparency.

Rules:

Spoiler

- Follow the requirements above.

- No stealing, no vote shenanigans, no zeroEffort/troll entries, have fun, etc.

- If splicing/modding, only assets from Fire Emblem games 1 through 8 and pixel item icons / map sprites from the other FE's may be used for this purpose. You can find most of these resources at the Spriter’s Resource thread (under Sprite Resources) here.

- Only one submission per participant.

How to Submit:

Spoiler

To submit an entry, send me (Lenh) a PM with the following Subject title format:

FE:O! – Entry Name

where 'Entry Name' is whatever you want to call your entry. Put your submission in the PM. I will send a response when I receive it, and will save a copy to re-upload on an image host to preserve it (so please notify me if you make any edits or changes, or do so at your own risk).

Please keep your entry and identity secret until the end of the contest (getting advice on WIPs from friends is alright but try to leave it as a surprise for everyone else)! All submissions will be revealed in a single post when voting opens and the ballot is made available. The entry name will be used as the identifier. If multiple entries with the same name exist, they will be suffixed with A, B, C...etc.

Prizes:

Spoiler

-1st place wins a copy of Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for the 3DS!

- Two more copies will be raffled off: one in the pool of entrants, and one in a pool of entrants plus voters.

Once winners are declared I will get in contact with them to find the best method of prize transferal. I can’t guarantee Day One delivery but will work with the winner to deliver the option that works best for them. Options include Nintendo Points Card code for digital game purchase, Amazon wishlist purchase of the game, PayPal transfer for funds, gift card purchase, etc. Whatever works (in good faith).

Winner Selection:

Spoiler

- Like the Awake! Competition, a Borda count will be used to determine the first place winner, done via PM. Voters will rank all entries from greatest to least preference. I will then aggregate all the votes and the one with the highest number of points wins.

- For the raffle prizes, both will be drawn by lottery:

- The first will be done from the pool of entrants, with ranking results weighting how many chances you have in the lottery (#chances=#entrants-finalRank).

- The second will be done from the pool of entrants plus the voter pool, with voting counting as one chance in the raffle.

- Note if a winner is selected more than once, the raffle will be rerolled (no winning two+ copies of the game)

A final post for the contest will be made with raffle winners, entry rankings and all that fun stuff on Tuesday, April 11th~ I will get in contact with the winners at that time to complete the prize giving.

Errata/Edits:

- 4/2/17 : Modified entry deadline

Edited by Lenh

Results:

1. (1.90) B_SummoningYourBoy_by_BlazeKing_zpsbirlt (B) Summoning your Boy, by Blaze King

2. (2.00) G_ninian_by_toa_zps95q5bna4.png (G) Ninian, by Toa

3. (3.30) E_theBattleWithDuma_by_BlueDruid_zpspuih The Battle with Duma, GBA-Style, by Blue Druid

3. (3.30)F_alm_by_errantShepherd_zpsrrc6hmu3.pngAlm, by Errant Shepherd

5. (5.40) A_nanna_by_Zelkami_zpsfigsak7s.png  (A) Nanna Portrait, by Zelkami

5. (5.40) D_waifuTriangle_by_SageHarpuiaJDJ_zps7ua Waifu Triangle, by SageHarpuiaJDJ

7. (6.67) C_Micaiah_by_dap005_zpszk5gvjaq.png Michaiah, by dap005

The first raffle winner (drawing #7) is Errant Shepherd,

and the second raffle winner (drawing #4) is Zelkami!

Edited by Lenh

Also reserved.

---

So, same as last time, any thoughts, concerns, need for clarification? Just like last time I'm open to any changes you think would make things better, and this is all for fun. ^^

On 31/01/2017 at 1:35 AM, Lenh said:

Also reserved.

---

So, same as last time, any thoughts, concerns, need for clarification? Just like last time I'm open to any changes you think would make things better, and this is all for fun. ^^

I didn't understand the theme (It may be because of my bad english). It's to make a character in the style of Gaiden?

Sorry, the theme's pretty vague to begin with. You can probably get away with just spriting any Fire Emblem character/scene any way you want, but I'll try to phrase the theme another way.

"Take a Fire Emblem character/scene and sprite it. Change some characteristics of the original so that it becomes something different/new."

Is that any better?

7 hours ago, Lenh said:

Sorry, the theme's pretty vague to begin with. You can probably get away with just spriting any Fire Emblem character/scene any way you want, but I'll try to phrase the theme another way.

"Take a Fire Emblem character/scene and sprite it. Change some characteristics of the original so that it becomes something different/new."

Is that any better?

Yeah, kinda. Let's see if I understand, make some sprite from characters of the fire emblem franchise and make a new design? It has to be from Gaiden?

5 hours ago, Hunterius said:

Yeah, kinda. Let's see if I understand, make some sprite from characters of the fire emblem franchise and make a new design? It has to be from Gaiden?

It doesn't have to be from Gaiden, any Fire Emblem will work. You can use Gaiden if you want, or you can use any other Fire Emblem game.

I'm not certain because of the language barrier but I think you're on the right path. You really can do whatever pixel art you want as long as you can recognize it's a Fire Emblem character or scene.

Edited by Lenh

...you realize that you're limiting that to a 16x12 sized map right

The smallest possible GBA map is 15x10, NDS is 11x8(24x24 tiles over 16x16, and seems to be strictly limited to the prologue chapters of fe12), and FEXNA at default is 20x12

I believe some lenience would be nice to have if you really want to accommodate to mappers, otherwise it's kind of a throwaway option

Edited by Chocolate Kitty

Anyone playing a game is only going to be able to see a map section by section. You have that much here, at least.

Yeah, it's more limited constraints than what mappers are used to, maybe you'll have to add things to convey it's more than a small arrangement of tiles, but in the same I'm not excluding maps altogether and you're welcome to enter. There's just not enough activity to justify making a special exception for the mapping community.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yay!

The file formats I can work with are the usual PNG/GIF/BMP, granted they aren't compressed. I don't have a preference but'll likely convert them to PNG if they aren't already.

It looks like there's a few calls for an extension, so I'm going to bump the entry deadline to Saturday, April 8th and adjust the voting time accordingly. As a reminder if you've already submitted, you are free to update/change your entry up until the deadline. I will be concrete with this one as I want to be wrapped up by the first release date.

Thanks to all for understanding, particularly those who've already entered!

1 hour ago, TaoVP said:

Do participants get to vote and if so how does voting for yourself work?

Yup! Rank yourself where you feel you are, even if that's first.