Least Favorite Character

PKspeed

I kinda like that Tsubaki's insecurities are basically confined in Sakura's support in a way, because sometimes what the characters don't do in their supports is also incredibly telling. For me it shows that Tsubaki's gotten his fake-it-until-you-make-it game so tight that he's unable to even be vulnerable except with his lord. I do think it suffers because you can A support with basically anyone, when in reality you're not gonna become intimate best friends in real life with everyone you work with. In the best case, everyone's cool and gets along, you talk about your life, but you're not going to share with all of your coworkers intimate details about your suffering. In a less ideal case, you get along with some people but not all at work, and you won't ever like that person. In the worst case you hate all your coworkers and you want to quit. 

While I didn't grow up with that level of pressure for excellence, as a significant number of my friends are Asian Americans (as am I, but honestly I gave myself more pressure than parents did when it comes to academic excellence) and it resonated with me as it reminded me of a mix of experiences many people I know had, friends or just acquaintances.

And then a lot of those same people went to college, got freedom, and partied hard.

Actually on topic though, I echo many of the sentiments for a dislike of Corrin for least favorite. I also don't like most of the earlier flirty archetypes, since being a flirt is one of the traits that I'm fine with on a well-rounded character but grates me more than other archetypes when the characters are more one-note. Lifis is also just a bad person.

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Thor Odinson said:

I kinda like that Tsubaki's insecurities are basically confined in Sakura's support in a way, because sometimes what the characters don't do in their supports is also incredibly telling. For me it shows that Tsubaki's gotten his fake-it-until-you-make-it game so tight that he's unable to even be vulnerable except with his lord. I do think it suffers because you can A support with basically anyone, when in reality you're not gonna become intimate best friends in real life with everyone you work with. In the best case, everyone's cool and gets along, you talk about your life, but you're not going to share with all of your coworkers intimate details about your suffering. In a less ideal case, you get along with some people but not all at work, and you won't ever like that person. In the worst case you hate all your coworkers and you want to quit. 

While I didn't grow up with that level of pressure for excellence, as a significant number of my friends are Asian Americans (as am I, but honestly I gave myself more pressure than parents did when it comes to academic excellence) and it resonated with me as it reminded me of a mix of experiences many people I know had, friends or just acquaintances.

And then a lot of those same people went to college, got freedom, and partied hard.

Actually on topic though, I echo many of the sentiments for a dislike of Corrin for least favorite. I also don't like most of the earlier flirty archetypes, since being a flirt is one of the traits that I'm fine with on a well-rounded character but grates me more than other archetypes when the characters are more one-note. Lifis is also just a bad person.

I also like his supports with Hana, where she confronts him over his BS and doesn't let him slip by in regards to his falling off his Pegasus incident. I like their dynamic in general, and how they play off of one another; Hana is pretty much the only person that doesn't tolerate Subaki lording his "I'm perfect and you can't tell me I'm not" attitude over her.
I ship them, incidentally. But that's beside the point
His heart-to-heart with Caeldori is sweet too, but I just don't think it was quite genuine enough. He basically says "yo stop trying to be perfect because it will destroy you inside."  But Subaki himself never takes his own advice, or never even tries to. We couldn't get moments with Subaki starting to allow himself to relax, too, or with Caeldori herself telling him not to bother with the perfect act?

I just feel like Subaki is wasted potential; and he could have been one of Fates' deeper characters in the vein of Takumi. You get a few moments of him breaking and admitting that he's really insecure and unhappy about how he is, but those moments are rare and fleeting at best, and he doesn't allow himself to be vulnerable enough, as you said. I know it's justified with his character, but overall it tends to make him feel somewhat flatter than he actually is. I hope that makes sense.

Edited by Extrasolar

A lot of fates writing is wasted potential tbh. Quality of partners and writing over quantity, imo. A lot the problems you outlined is also a problem with the support system itself--I know too many cases where character gets character dev within a support line, but then that get reveresed in the next C. Unfortunately doing a reactive support system would be insane amounts of writing work. I think I can code it though.

Not taking your own advice is actually a pretty realistic character trait. When in college I've repeatedly told my friends to go the fuck to sleep when I'd regularly stay up until 8am working on my assignments. I didn't want them to be as stressed out as I am, but I was too far gone at that point. Also going back to my Asian American Experiences (TM) thing, when you've internalized a particular thing for so long--in this case, Tsubaki's perfectionism, especially as a result of parental pressure, you either 180 the fuck out or it becomes extremely hard to get past it. Without getting too personal about it, there's a bunch of attitudes about myself my logical self don't necessarily agree with, but when it's so ingrained in your upbringing deviating away from it may cause extreme levels of guilt. Tsubaki couldn't escape his upbringing, but he sure as hell ain't gonna raise his daughter that way. 

Hell, i told my boyfriend to just "don't do anything I did in grad school" (he's in grad school right now). He's doing a good job of not being me. Being me involved extreme late nights and too much caffeine to just function. I'm glad he's going with a much more well-structured schedule.

IDK i find a lot of Tsubaki's more subtle aspects relatable on a personal level. You're definitely still free to not like how he's handled, but I found a lot of the more subtler aspects of his writing speak to bits and pieces of both my own experience, and things I know about friends around me.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I'm not really a fan of Saizo's personality. Half of the time he's an edgy tsun jerk with no chill and the other half he's watching everything Ryoma does in a borderline obsessive fashion. 

And there's also the fact where he tries to force his son into becoming a clone of himself with no actual respect towards his sense of identity. I don't even like Asugi but watching him basically tell Saizo to stuff it was pretty cathartic.

2 minutes ago, FrostyFireMage said:

I'm not really a fan of Saizo's personality. Half of the time he's an edgy tsun jerk with no chill and the other half he's watching everything Ryoma does in a borderline obsessive fashion. 

And there's also the fact where he tries to force his son into becoming a clone of himself with no actual respect towards his sense of identity. I don't even like Asugi but watching him basically tell Saizo to stuff it was pretty cathartic.

Agreed. Saizo does come off as overly gruff and edgy to me at times as well. Not a fan of Asugi either, as he comes off as a simplification of Gaius, but I can definitely sympathize with him having to deal with Saizo. Of the two, I far prefer Kaze, and Kaze is definitely not my favorite character.

I far prefer Kagero of the two Ryoma retainers. Saizo's obsession can be off-putting, in a similar fashion to Frederick's obsession with Chrom. I mean, I know it's your job to look after your liege, but chill out, jeez.

Est.

I really, really hate Est. Just that stupid ending is just so... frickin' stupid! I always feel so bad for Abel. I've not finished my playthrough of NMotE yet, but I'm half considering letting her die (something I never do) just to avoid that stupid ending. I keep meaning to look up the ending if she dies, though, if there is a different one. I just always feel like Abel deserves better... and it doesn't help her that I really like his character.

My least favorite is Nyx. Stat wise, she's pretty bad, but her personality is horrible. She's basically an angsty, edgy old lady who is somehow mistaken as a teenager. I always thought her appearance looked old, and never understood why anyone thought she was young. She is also unreasonable because she literally has eternal youth, yet wants to be an old lady. Like, what? Thousands of people have sought immortality/ the Fountain of Youth, and you'd rather have wrinkles and back pains? It's just too silly and stupid.

2 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

Est.

I really, really hate Est. Just that stupid ending is just so... frickin' stupid! I always feel so bad for Abel. I've not finished my playthrough of NMotE yet, but I'm half considering letting her die (something I never do) just to avoid that stupid ending. I keep meaning to look up the ending if she dies, though, if there is a different one. I just always feel like Abel deserves better... and it doesn't help her that I really like his character.

Holy shit you reminded me but yes me too

I mean yeah, it's one thing if you don't want to be in a relationship anymore and you break it off like adults, but just running the fuck away? There was 0 indication that Abel was abusive and all evidence points to him to being boyfriend/husband of the year and it was extremely not cool she basically just tries to ghost him.

I'm always frustrated about that.

Matthis and Makalov, and I don't care if those are misspelled. Seriously why the hell did they think Matthis archetype was a good one to bring back? Is there any Fire Emblem game where you are not swimming in horse units anyway? Why would I need another one that sucks. Why would I need someone who will rush in and try to kill their sister when they are getting recruited and is a total coward and layabout?

Don't kill me, I can't stand Eirika. She's just so naive and whiny! And I hate how Ephraim always overprotects her. Kind of patronizing, in my opinion.

Havent played Conquest yet, but I really don't like Camilla's and Charlotte's design . I mean... they are boobs. 

Edited by Tarisaskia
spelling

On 4-3-2017 at 7:24 AM, FrostyFireMage said:

To be fair its hard to respect Asugi's sense of identity when he doesn't have one, he just borrows the identity of Gaius. 

8 hours ago, Tarisaskia said:

Don't kill me, I can't stand Eirika. She's just so naive and whiny! And I hate how Ephraim always overprotects her. Kind of patronizing, in my opinion.

Havent played Conquest yet, but I really don't like Camilla's and Charlotte's design . I mean... they are boobs. 

For the Ephraim point, they at least do play his overprotective attitude as a character flaw in the game itself iirc, and Eirika basically tells him in so many words to chill out and stop treating her like a child (their support conversation).

And you are indeed correct on the second point. Sure they have "more character" than that but come on, character designers, nobody is looking all that far to find it past what they have in their face

18 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

To be fair its hard to respect Asugi's sense of identity when he doesn't have one, he just borrows the identity of Gaius. 

And not even Gaius. A Flanderized, simplified version of Gaius, with little to none of his actual depth underneath the candy obsession. Asugi is my least favorite kidlet (alongside Rhajat, for similar reasons) because of that.

Edited by Extrasolar

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:59 PM, Thor Odinson said:

I kinda like that Tsubaki's insecurities are basically confined in Sakura's support in a way, because sometimes what the characters don't do in their supports is also incredibly telling

I can't STAND Subaki. I don't really know why, I just don't like his character design and personality. Stat wise he's pretty horrible compared to Hinoka. And his design in Heroes...

I also don't like Hinata. I don't like his personality either, or his design in Heroes. His stats are okay, but in my opinion I think that Hana is better.

And don't even get me started on Nyx. I HATE her. She has horrible stats and gets One Shot'ed almost every time. Her character just doesn't make sense, and she is SO annoying.

(I don't mean to offend anybody. This is just my opinion, don't take it seriously).

Okay but why did you have to quote me for that, it doesn't warrant a notification if you're just going to say you dislike someone I like and don't actually try to discuss anything I actually said

Don't ping me unless it actually concerns me

On topic post: I guess I don't really hate them, but I just hate how boring and interchangeable the designs for many earlierFE axe users are. Not very good to make memorable characters.

• 3 weeks later...

Isadora, the most disappointing paladin prepromote of all time. 

She's seriously so bad, her bases are worse than Marcus (who has far better availability) in everything but speed and luck, she has horrible con for a paladin, and her growths are very similar to Marcus's too - not different enough to say she's better than him in any meaningful way (besides base speed I suppose). 

The girl can't take a hit and can't hold a lance. I tried to use her the first time I played FE7 and she contributed, sure, but not without some help (Sain support, etc) before she finally bit the dust on Dawn of Destiny.

I hope this counts, but I just CAN'T STAND EXCELLUS. I know you aren't supposed to like him, but couldn't they at least try with him?

Err... I don't like Est due to reasons stated already... although I can tolerate her in FE: Heroes...

Also, I'm not a fan of Valter and Narcian's personalities; although the latter can get himself tangled in funny situations. *cough*Verbally bitchslap'd by Clarine*cough*

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Err... I don't like Est due to reasons stated already... although I can tolerate her in FE: Heroes...

Also, I'm not a fan of Valter and Narcian's personalities; although the latter can get himself tangled in funny situations. *cough*Verbally bitchslap'd by Clarine*cough*

Narcian's incompetence at least was addressed in game, and he had to deal with its consequences, as Zephiel eventually demoted him and left him to die.

In terms of villains, I loathe the Gharnef archetype. Nergal was the only one done well IMO (unless you count Lyon and Sephiran), and only because he subverted the archetype in many ways.

Evil ugly dark mage with no depth at all, and no personality except being stereotypically evil does not make a good main villain. Validar is the main offender, since Awakening had better villains already, like Gangrel, Walhart and Yen'fay (and Aversa to a lesser extent). Riev wasn't as offensive, since he was more of a secondary villain. Still, he was very bland despite being around for longer than any other Sacred Stones antagonist (Lyon lasted for one more chapter, but Riev first appeared much earlier).

Mainly Gheb, Peri, and Corrin are coming to mind. Gheb's just an awful excuse for a human being, Peri would I guess be an okay starting point for a character if she ever evolved beyond that point, which she really doesn't, and Corrin's just a mess with a bland, uninteresting personality.

Edited by Topaz Light

My least favorite character is Hans and the pathetic illusionist that betrayed us in Birthright, and sometimes Azama just seems very annoying to me, same with Hayato and Peri.

This is tough, since I like most of the characters in the games. In total, gotta go with Karla, Colm, Miriel, and Kana. Karla is pretty much useless, and her personality is pretty much Priscilla's, but it's recycled. Colm is a jerk, and not even the funny type of jerk like Rennac is. Miriel gets benched as fast as Kent does in my FE7 playthroughs. Also she's a rather uninteresting character. Kana is pretty much a smaller Corrin, but is pretty much useless since she can't wield the Yato (not from my experience anyways). 

On 4/3/2017 at 8:36 AM, Cute Chao said:

Est.

If I can say something. Est probably left Abel and Akanea because both her Older Sister and her husband make her feel like garbage (after being kidnapped two or three times Palla half-joked about it in her conversation and literally name her a load; and Abel only loves Est because he feels the need to protect her, doesn't seems to know any good trait about her)

Also, it doesn't help that Palla also was in love with Abel.

Edited by Troykv