FE Heroes Error 803-3001

shadowofchaos

What is Error 803-3001?

When your phone doesn't pass Google's SafetyNet, it corrupts an .xml file that is associated with your phone (your device id, I'd say) for that specific "save" of Heroes in your phone. The result is a bootloop of the game with the connection error 803-3001.

This was initially thought of as a root ban, but it seems it is affecting other users (a good number, not rooted) as well.

All it checks for is modification of the stock image. And as some manufacturers have non-standard setups, users get "banned" as well without ever modifying system files.

How do I get past it?

If you get the error code and bootloop, it depends if you are rooted or not.

If rooted:

Delete this file using some sort of root explorer: data/data/com.nintendo.zaba/shared_prefs/deviceAccount:.xml

I use ES File Explorer.

It should go without saying, be careful when browsing around with root. Root users SHOULD be aware that you can do some real damage with those privileges.

If not rooted:

You have to delete all game data. That means you have to redownload *ALL* your images, character data, movies, and sound files. The big download when you started the game. Be sure to be on wifi.

Does my save get deleted if I'm not rooted!?

Well... yes and no.

Yes, that it gets wiped from your phone.

No in the sense that you *WILL* be able to continue with your save file and won't have to start over.

...If you linked your save to your Nintendo Account.

If you have a save on your Nintendo Account, just relink your phone and it will download the save from the server and you will continue as normal.

Any other info?

From my own personal experience... it seems that I (as a rooted Android user) don't get banned that often anymore. I get kicked with the error, it seems, every 4-6 hours.

Can you be kicked mid-game?

*YES*

You won't find out until after you finish a map, though.

This means that if you started an Arena Battle (like the video below), you will forfeit the win and one of your 3 daily arena points.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also another option, which is using a root explorer to delete the deviceaccount:.xml file located in /data/data/com.nintendo.zaba/shared_prefs

This will let you restart from the initial set-up without having to redownload the game again. But it's still pretty annoying, if I might say, and you still get banned a few hours later. Just repeating the procedure works.

Is there anyway to circumvent root checking? I'm actually being really annoyed by this, I'm almost on the verge of disabling root access on my phone.

I really, really hope something like that old Miitomo fix for root users comes out tomorrow or in the next few days. Wouldn't there be some kind of coder or developer interested in fixing it? I'm pretty sure there isn't much difference compared to Miitomo's block. It seems like the game detects root access (and/or custom roms) and overwrites the file I said before, making it unreadable and resulting in that error.

So I just downloaded the APK, I'm not sure if I have this root thing or not

I just looked it up, I haven't done any mods to my phone

So I'm unsure about my situation 

Edited by Captain Karnage

31 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

So I just downloaded the APK, I'm not sure if I have this root thing or not

I just looked it up, I haven't done any mods to my phone

So I'm unsure about my situation 

If you don't know if you have root or not, you most likely don't.

You can rest easy.

In the end, I reverted my phone to its original firmware (I have a Redmi Note 2, so back to MIUI 8) and I have unrooted it. The game now pops out on the Play Store and, obviously I switched from apk to Play Store version.

Right now, it's working. More than 6 hours without errors. Loosing root isn't too bad and since I was already planning to switch back to MIUI, it's not too big of a deal. Now, I'm actually fine with it and I feel a lot more satisfied. 

From what I've researched this doesn't seem to be an intentional "ban" for rooted devices, as it happened to plenty of unrooted players aswell Source. That, and I've been playing for more than 8 hours now (on and off, but not actually closing the game) and it's still working fine after a restart. 

Got the error 4 times yesterday, zero times today. Seems too random to be an intentional ban. There's also a chat log Source of someone contacting Nintendo and their staff attempts to help the person without cutting them off, even helping him link accounts to save data, so... All signs point to a bug. Though unconfirmed either way.

Edited by FangXV

40 minutes ago, FangXV said:

From what I've researched this doesn't seem to be an intentional "ban" for rooted devices, as it happened to plenty of unrooted players aswell Source. That, and I've been playing for more than 8 hours now (on and off, but not actually closing the game) and it's still working fine after a restart. 

Got the error 4 times yesterday, zero times today. Seems too random to be an intentional ban. There's also a chat log Source of someone contacting Nintendo and their staff attempts to help the person without cutting them off, even helping him link accounts to save data, so... All signs point to a bug. Though unconfirmed either way.

The device id keeps getting changed on the app in order to fix it.

Man it still sucks regardless.

It's annoying.

It was hard feeding kills to low level units:

Spoiler

C3xrX3lXUAAe3ln.jpg

Edited by shadowofchaos

I posted this in a duplicate thread:

Currently, there is a nasty thing called communications error 803-3001 going around, and once it hits you will not be able to play your game, and your data may be compromised. You may have to delete your game and/or data, re-download and start from scratch. However, you can recover your data if your account is linked to Nintendo. Apparently this is especially likely to hit rooted devices or emulators. If you are running your game on anything like that, I advise that you link your Nintendo account to it if possible as a precaution. Even if you're on a "normal" device, you still should consider linking your account since this error is still possible even if it's less likely. 

There is a chance that this error gets fixed in the future and everything is fine, but again I recommend being cautious and linking your account. It's a hassle, but believe me: even if you end up having to re-download the game, at least you still have the option to. I have multiple 5*s after only a couple hours and my account is in complete limbo until things either get fixed or I give up and restart. 

The best write-up I could find on the topic: http://brave-exvius.com/threads/fire-emblem-heroes-error-803-3001-caution.10151/

Have fun, but be careful!

Whether this is some sort of a ban on rooted users or not seems speculative at this point. I have been told that bans of that nature are not an uncommon practice, but other than that there is no evidence that this is intentional. I agree with FangXV that the random nature of the error at least suggests that it is an actual error and not some sort of ban for certain users or devices so I remain optimistic. 

Either way, I think the most important takeaway from all of this is to link your account to keep your data safe from things like this happening. 

So I basically reinstalled after uninstalling it and so far it won't let me get past Prologue Chapter 3.

I'm honestly really depressed and feeling incredibly left out about this since I'm unable to play.

9 hours ago, Eleanor Hume said:

Have this problem now too on Nox when I started Heroes for the second time.

In the first time everthing went well... but not now anymore.

8 hours ago, Ebony said:

So I basically reinstalled after uninstalling it and so far it won't let me get past Prologue Chapter 3.

I'm honestly really depressed and feeling incredibly left out about this since I'm unable to play.

Both 803-3001 error? (Will mostly be repeating what Phoenny said but...)

If you're rooted: Any app (Recommend "Root Explorer", Google it, download the .apk, and simply install it) that lets you explore files on your system will do. Data/Data/com.nintendo.zaba/shared_prefs - Delete the file called deviceAccount:.xml.
If you're not rooted: re-installation of the app is the only way.

The former is obviously better. You won't have to download the extra 400-500 MB again either, so it's less than a minute's work. If you've got your internal browser set up to remember which tabs were open, which it should be by default, then you can even press the "link account" button without entering your Nintendo ID stuff again. Couldn't be simpler. If you need more personal help simply pm me or ask anyone here. It's not nearly as technical as it sounds.

Edited by FangXV

I got the root explorer.

Disregard the rest of original post. Am too used to doubleclick to open folders.

Now I just need to know how one deletes the file.

Wow 3rd edit. I managed to delete the file but fire emblem heroes is still in the return to titlescreen loop

Edited by Silith13

42 minutes ago, Silith13 said:

I got the root explorer.

Disregard the rest of original post. Am too used to doubleclick to open folders.

Now I just need to know how one deletes the file.

Wow 3rd edit. I managed to delete the file but fire emblem heroes is still in the return to titlescreen loop

Bluestacks? That's because when you close the app, it doesn't actually "close" at all (it basically goes on stand-by) EVEN if you quit Bluestacks entirely. Go to task manager (your Windows one) and end every Bluestacks ->process<- including the background ones. Or restart your PC, I guess.

If it's Nox, then it might be the same problem, but I've never used Nox so I can't say for certain.

Edited by FangXV

8 hours ago, FangXV said:

Both 803-3001 error? (Will mostly be repeating what Phoenny said but...)

If you're rooted: Any app (Recommend "Root Explorer", Google it, download the .apk, and simply install it) that lets you explore files on your system will do. Data/Data/com.nintendo.zaba/shared_prefs - Delete the file called deviceAccount:.xml.
If you're not rooted: re-installation of the app is the only way.

The former is obviously better. You won't have to download the extra 400-500 MB again either, so it's less than a minute's work. If you've got your internal browser set up to remember which tabs were open, which it should be by default, then you can even press the "link account" button without entering your Nintendo ID stuff again. Couldn't be simpler. If you need more personal help simply pm me or ask anyone here. It's not nearly as technical as it sounds.

I would, but my ISP has been so genuinely damaged the past few days I can't even download anything properly or even go to Google Play store.

14 minutes ago, Ebony said:

I would, but my ISP has been so genuinely damaged the past few days I can't even download anything properly or even go to Google Play store.

I'm sorry to hear that :(: Hope they get their act together.

29 minutes ago, FangXV said:

I'm sorry to hear that :(: Hope they get their act together.

Someone told me Nox has it auto installed. I used it and now it works like a charm. Thanks a lot tho!