"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

6 minutes ago, Astellius said:

I'll probably promote Nino next, or Cecilia. Cecilia with a Gronnblade tome on a Horse Emblem team would be devastating. I have Gunter and Jagen to provide Hone & Fortify Cavalry.

If you're gonna do Horse Emblem, I'd wait until we get Xander ;)

Not to mention Camus is coming too (He's supposed to have Goad Cavalry himself)

6 minutes ago, Astellius said:

I also have a 4-star Klein (-Atk), so I'll probably axe him for Death Blow fodder, which would make Reinhardt pretty savage. Sound like a good idea?

I guess it'll help with -Atk. There are certain people on this forum who tell of tales of this Death Blow Reinhardt of destruction. Appearantly it's supposed to be busted. You can even go one step further and use Olivia for an Attack buff + Dancer support.

Edited by Arcanite

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Thanks @Arcanite, @DehNutCase, @MrSmokestack, and @ILikeKirbys, I went ahead and promoted Reinhardt. I also have a 4-star Klein (-Atk), so I'll probably axe him for Death Blow fodder, which would make Reinhardt pretty savage. Sound like a good idea?

Death Blow is Reinhardt's best A skill, so good call.

27 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Thanks @Arcanite, @DehNutCase, @MrSmokestack, and @ILikeKirbys, I went ahead and promoted Reinhardt. I also have a 4-star Klein (-Atk), so I'll probably axe him for Death Blow fodder, which would make Reinhardt pretty savage. Sound like a good idea?

With respect to Nowi, her nature is +HP -Spd, so the inverse of what was recommended. Since Characters I Like > Objectively Good Characters > Characters I Don't Like, Nowi's not likely going to be promoted anytime soon.

I'll probably promote Nino next, or Cecilia. Cecilia with a Gronnblade tome on a Horse Emblem team would be devastating. I have Gunter and Jagen to provide Hone & Fortify Cavalry.

Yeah, good call. Nowi being -SPD would probably hurt her significantly, so you should wait for a better one.

And yeah, Cecilia with Gronnblade and all the +6 buffs, that shit devastates (I ran it on my Horse Emblem team this week, it was beautiful). She'll be even stronger if you can keep her near Reinhardt with his Goad Cavalry aura.

21 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Well, Horse Emblem is good right now, it's just gonna get better once Xander gets here. There's no real reason to wai-

Wait wait wait
Camus is gonna have Goad Cavalry? Where did you find this?

Also Astellius, Xander is the next Grand Hero Battle after Zephiel, while Camus... I dunno when Camus is coming, the last ones I know about are Xander and Lloyd in May.

Edited by ILikeKirbys

15 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

@MrSmokestack was the one who told me, I haven't seen anything official.

Hide contents

This time, if I'm wrong, I can Blame Takumi

The data-mined Camus from back in March had Hone Cavalry.  Obviously, it isn't an official source, but it's the closest we have atm.

40 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I guess it'll help with -Atk. There are certain people on this forum who tell of tales of this Death Blow Reinhardt of destruction. Appearantly it's supposed to be busted. You can even go one step further and use Olivia for an Attack buff + Dancer support.

Camus won't be coming for quite a while though (his GHB timeslot has yet to be revealed, though we only know the schedule up to Lloyd), but yeah Xander should be pretty great for Horse Emblem. 

And yes, Death Blow Reinhardt is ridiculous. 

+Atk Rein w/ Death Blow is capable of OHKOing Lunatic Zephiel without any buffs whatsoever, and with Draconic Aura up he can even OHKO Hector. 

Not to mention just in general there's literally no better A-skill for a slow Brave unit than Death Blow anyways. 

@ILikeKirbys

I suppose I can double-check those calcs then, and see what I can pull from those builds. Now that you've mentioned it, 30 Def really does scream Triangle Adept bulk.

I have one nitpick, though, and that's that you should also include calcs with Hone Cavalry up since any cavalry team worth its salt will be running Hone Cavalry.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Well, Horse Emblem is good right now, it's just gonna get better later. There's no real reason to wai-

Yeah, Horse Emblem seems really good. I axed a 3-star Nino to throw Gronnblade on Cecilia, and now Cecilia's broken when she has the Hone Cavalry buff and is near Reinhardt. Death Blow on Reinhardt is pretty insane, especially with the Hone Cavalry boosts from Gunter. I also tacked on the +1 Atk seal on him for a little boost.

I put together a team of Reinhardt, Cecilia, Gunter, and Olivia, and they're just ridiculous. (If only Olivia were a cavalier!) With how effective this is, I think I'll promote Cecilia next. What special skills would be best on Cecilia?

46 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Yeah, Horse Emblem seems really good. I axed a 3-star Nino to throw Gronnblade on Cecilia, and now Cecilia's broken when she has the Hone Cavalry buff and is near Reinhardt. Death Blow on Reinhardt is pretty insane, especially with the Hone Cavalry boosts from Gunter. I also tacked on the +1 Atk seal on him for a little boost.

I put together a team of Reinhardt, Cecilia, Gunter, and Olivia, and they're just ridiculous. (If only Olivia were a cavalier!) With how effective this is, I think I'll promote Cecilia next. What special skills would be best on Cecilia?

For Gronnblade!Cecilia, I recommend Darting Blow (she'll reach (-/neutral/+) 28/31/34 SPD after Hone Cavalry, so with Darting Blow she reaches 34/37/40 SPD on Player Phase, so she should be able to double quite a few units, which is useful if she can't one-shot them) or Death Blow (for even more attack power... if you have another Klein you're willing to burn), G Tomebreaker (Reinhardt struggles against Greens, so you should let Cecilia handle the green tome holders (get a Sword Cavalier for axes - I recommend Cain, but we'll be seeing Xander next month so you might want him in that role instead... I know this means getting rid of Olivia, but you won't miss her too much, trust me), who she should more easily be able to handle if she can always double them), a Cavalry buff (because Reinhardt and Gunter appreciate buffs too), and Iceberg (for when you need a little extra power, and I don't think Draconic Aura is quite as strong on Cecilia as Iceberg is).

@Ice Dragon Okay, here are the calcs for Hone Cavalry on Stahl for the build I recommended for you (In the Spoiler because it's long):

Spoiler

Stahl with +SPD/-RES, Ruby Sword+, Fury 3 and Swordbreaker 3 (C Skill is irrelevant here)...
With +6 ATK/SPD thanks to Hone Cavalry, Stahl kills every Green except for +SPD/=DEF&=HP Bunny Chrom (lives with 1 HP) and Merric (lives iwth 4 HP, though Merric only lives if he has HP +5). And when attacked by Greens, every single 1-range attacker dies except for +SPD/=DEF&HP Bunny Chrom. Even +DEF Hector dies when he attacks this Stahl. The mages do survive attacking Stahl, but that's just because Stahl cannot counter them. And Stahl can then kill them on his turn.
As for the damage Greens deal to Stahl when they attack him (using +ATK for these calcs), F!Robin and her effective-vs-horses Gronnwolf+ top the damage chart here, dealing a whopping 16 damage to Stahl (which is a slightly-more-worrying 22 after Fury 3's 6 self-damage is applied, but still). The next highest after that is Julia with 10, then Nino/Fae/Bunny Camilla/Cecilia with 8, Merric with 5, and Cherche with 1. No other Green can hurt Stahl.

Stahl is amazing against Greens, as he should be. However, this Stahl is also meant to be capable of dealing competently with Swords, so let's see how he does there:

Against Swords, +6 ATK/SPD Stahl kills all except:
vs Neutral-SPD&DEF: Alfonse (Alfonse never dies, I just don't mention him again because he can't have boons/banes), Chrom, Draug, Eldigan, Hinata, Seliph, Stahl, Zephiel.
vs -DEF: Draug, Eldigan, Hinata, Zephiel.
vs +DEF: Alm, Cain, Chrom, M!Corrin, Draug, Eldigan, Hinata, Karel, Laslow, Marth, Ogma, Roy, Selena, Seliph, Stahl, Zephiel.
vs -SPD & +SPD (exactly the same: Chrom, Draug, Eldigan, Hinata, Seliph, Selena, Zephiel.

And when Swordbreaker is added to Swords, +6 ATK/SPD Stahl kills all except:
vs Neutral-SPD&DEF: Alfonse (again, Alfonse never dies), Caeda, Chrom, Draug, Eirika, Eldigan, Fir, Hana, Hinata, Karel, Lon'qu, Lucina, Lyn, Navarre, Ryoma, Seliph, Stahl, Zephiel.
vs -DEF: Caeda, Draug, Eirika, Eldigan, Fir, Hinata, Karel, Lon'qu, Lucina, Lyn, Navarre, Ryoma, Selena, Zephiel.
vs +DEF: Only kills Eliwood, Olivia and Palla, everyone else lives.
vs -SPD: Chrom, Draug, Eldigan, Fir, Hana, Hinata, Lon'qu, Seliph, Stahl, Zephiel.
vs +SPD: Only kills Alm, Cain, Eliwood, Laslow, Ogma, Palla and Roy, everyone else lives.

And when attacked by Swords, Stahl never dies from full HP.

So, the Stahl build I recommended fears no Greens, and deals with Swords very well as well. However, how well does he deal with Red Mages and the Tikis? Let's find out:

+6 ATK/SPD Stahl on offense kills all mages except for Henry (unless he's -DEF) and +SPD Tharja. However, if these mages have Swordbreaker, Stahl only kills -/=DEF Sanaki and -DEF Lilina.
When attacked by mages, however, Stahl does lose one matchup. +ATK Raigh is the only mage that can ORKO Stahl. However, if these mages have Swordbreaker, every mage kills Stahl except for Henry, -/=ATK Leo, and -ATK Sophia and Tharja.

Against the Tikis, +6ATK/SPD Stahl on offense... can't kill Young Tiki at all. He can kill Adult Tiki if she's -HP, unless she's also +DEF, in which case he still can't kill her. And if the Tikis have Swordbreaker, both Tikis kill Stahl. Always.
And when getting attacked by the Tikis, Stahl doesn't die, but doesn't kill either Tiki either. However, if the Tikis have Swordbreaker equipped, they kill Stahl. Always. Again.

So, keep Stahl the fuck away from Swordbreaker mages and the Tikis. Especially the Tikis. He is not meant to fight Tikis.

Vs Colorless, +6 ATK/SPD Stahl kills:
vs Neutral: All but Azama, Gaius, Gordin, Jaffar and Setsuna.
vs -DEF: All except Gaius, Jaffar and Setsuna.
vs +DEF: All but Azama, Felicia, Gaius, Gordin, Jaffar, Matthew, Saizo, Setsuna and Virion.
vs -SPD: All but Azama, Gordin and Jaffar.
vs +SPD: Only Elise, Faye, Felicia, Jakob, Klein, Lachesis, Lissa, Lucius, Priscilla, Sakura, Serra, Virion and Wrys, everyone else lives.

And when attacked by Colorless, nobody can kill Stahl. Azama and Klein do the most damage (22, 28 after Fury), and nobody else hits 50% of Stahl's HP.

All in all, Stahl doesn't have to worry too much about Colorless unless he's already taken a beating.

So, let's get to the people who beat Stahl: Blues.

Vs Blues, +6 ATK/SPD Stahl kills nobody, and loses to Abel, +ATK Effie, +ATK Nowi, +ATK Subaki, and +ATK Sully.
If the Blues have Swordbreaker, then Stahl dies on the attack to everyone except the mages (who can't counterattack him, so if they have Close Counter and aren't -ATK Odin/Olwen he dies to them), -ATK Abel, -ATK Clair, -ATK Florina, -ATK Gwendolyn, -/=ATK Subaki, -/=ATK Sully, and -ATK Bunny Xander.

When attacked by Blues, +6 ATK/SPD Stahl dies to Abel, Cordelia, Donnel, Effie, Hinoka, Linde, +ATK Nowi, Olwen, Reinhardt, +ATK Sully, and Ursula.
And when the Blues have Swordbreaker, +6 ATK/SPD Stahl dies to everyone except for -/=ATK Subaki, -/=ATK Sully, and -/=ATK Bunny Xander.

So, yeah. Try not to have Stahl tank Blues. It won't end well.

So, overall, +SPD/-RES Stahl with Ruby Sword+, Fury 3, Swordbreaker 3 and Hone Cavalry buffs is a good tank that deals pretty solid damage, especially to Greens/Reds/Colorless. Just don't have him fight Blues and he'll serve you really well, I think.

Hopefully I got all of that right. I used https://rocketmo.github.io/feh-damage-calc/ for the calculations.
Hope that helps, Ice Dragon!

Edited by ILikeKirbys

1 hour ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Okay, here are the calcs for Hone Cavalry on Stahl for the build I recommended for you (In the Spoiler because it's long):

Hopefully I got all of that right. I used https://rocketmo.github.io/feh-damage-calc/ for the calculations.
Hope that helps, Ice Dragon!

Okay, after using this build as a base and comparing it against similar builds (Death Blow instead of Fury, +Atk instead of +Spd, etc.), I think I've convinced myself that this is his best Ruby Sword+ build with one possible change: Life and Death instead of Fury. (Note I'm using calcs with both sides at +10 because I can't be bothered to adjust my targets list in my calculator spreadsheet. And because future-proofing for endgame.)

With Fury against green units, almost all of the damage he's receiving is coming from his own Fury or Gronnblade+. With Life and Death, he does only slightly worse against Gronnblade+ (only noticeably worse if Nino can double attack, and only Nino with full buffs can actually kill him) while he does better against all other green units by virtue of not taking Fury damage.

Against red units, he only takes 2 additional damage with Life and Death (unless the opponent has a Brave weapon on enemy phase), but has just a bit more Spd, allowing him to avoid the double attack from +Spd Life and Death Lucina (even with S Spd +1), as well as simply dealing more damage. He shouldn't be going up against blue units anyways, but the only real loss switching Fury to Life and Death that actually matters is Ephraim, who he shouldn't be fighting anyways.

As for a special skill, I'm thinking Moonbow. Against non-Swordbreaker swords, he's missing a few one-round kills by just a few points of HP, and Moonbow will give him just enough chip damage to finish them off. However, Daytime would probably be better if the intent is to use him in PvE.

Thanks for the help!

Here's my current proposed build, then:

Stahl [+Spd, -Res] (Ruby Sword+, [assist skill flexible], Moonbow/Daytime, Life and Death 3/Fury 3, Swordbreaker 3, Hone Cavalry, [S HP +3])

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Okay, after using this build as a base and comparing it against similar builds (Death Blow instead of Fury, +Atk instead of +Spd, etc.), I think I've convinced myself that this is his best Ruby Sword+ build with one possible change: Life and Death instead of Fury. (Note I'm using calcs with both sides at +10 because I can't be bothered to adjust my targets list in my calculator spreadsheet. And because future-proofing for endgame.)

With Fury against green units, almost all of the damage he's receiving is coming from his own Fury or Gronnblade+. With Life and Death, he does only slightly worse against Gronnblade+ (only noticeably worse if Nino can double attack, and only Nino with full buffs can actually kill him) while he does better against all other green units by virtue of not taking Fury damage.

Against red units, he only takes 2 additional damage with Life and Death (unless the opponent has a Brave weapon on enemy phase), but has just a bit more Spd, allowing him to avoid the double attack from +Spd Life and Death Lucina (even with S Spd +1), as well as simply dealing more damage. He shouldn't be going up against blue units anyways, but the only real loss switching Fury to Life and Death that actually matters is Ephraim, who he shouldn't be fighting anyways.

As for a special skill, I'm thinking Moonbow. Against non-Swordbreaker swords, he's missing a few one-round kills by just a few points of HP, and Moonbow will give him just enough chip damage to finish them off. However, Daytime would probably be better if the intent is to use him in PvE.

Thanks for the help!

Stahl [+Spd, -Res] (Ruby Sword+, [assist skill flexible], Moonbow/Daytime, Life and Death 3/Fury 3, Swordbreaker 3, Hone Cavalry, [S HP +3])

Wow. I had disregarded Life and Death because I figured the defensive losses would outweigh the offensive benefits, but I guess I was wrong. Still, I disagree with Noontime/Sol being better for PvE: Noontime seems like it wouldn't heal enough to help Stahl deal with Fury self-damage, and Sol might heal enough to cover Fury, but it might not happen often enough to matter.

I don't see any real problems with the proposed build here... although I would suggest Reposition or Swap for Stahl's Assist Skill, since Swap is something he already has, and both of these let Stahl move allies out of harm's way and allow him to tank against Greens/Swords after your ally has been left vulnerable to them during their attack.

Glad I could help, mate!

And now, two questions of my own:

1: I have a +DEF/-SPD Marth. Would Falchion/Pivot/Bonfire/Fury/Renewal/Spur SPD/[SPD +1] be a good build for him? I feel like the frequent HP recovery from two Renewals (Renewal 3 and Falchion's Renewal 2) would let Marth outheal Fury's self-damage and then some (especially since he gets 20 HP every third turn), and Bonfire would take advantage of Marth's higher DEF, but I'm not 100% sure if this is the best option for Marth here. Maybe I should run Sacred Cowl instead of Bonfire to help with Marth's low RES making him an easy target for mages? Or Escutcheon to maybe help him deal with dragons? I dunno here, I'm about to echo Ice Dragon's sentiment 

2: Is there anyone who really wants Sol/Noontime? Because I dunno any more.

3 hours ago, ILikeKirbys said:

2: Is there anyone who really wants Sol/Noontime? Because I dunno any more.

Noontime and Sol function 'best' with Brash Assault, since, if the skill is primed, you can trigger it on the first hit to help tank the counter, and then follow up with a KO.

Of course, most people who can do that can also just run Dragon Fang to 1HKO instead.

Sol and Noontime are mostly useful when you can juggernaut, which is difficult to do when stat total are the same. (If reinforcement maps have lower stats on enemy units compared to your own, they can become useful, however.)

Who should I pass Goad Fliers and Fortify Fliers to? I have some spare Pallas and Caedas. My fliers are Caeda, some Cherches (one of them is a 3* that is +Atk -Hp I think. I forgot the bane), Camilla, Spring Camilla, Cordelia, Michalis, the three Whitewing sisters, Shanna, Subaki, and Florina. I haven't leveled up the last three people though.

4 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

He does just fine with his natural Swap.

11 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

Who should I pass Goad Fliers and Fortify Fliers to? I have some spare Pallas and Caedas. My fliers are Caeda, some Cherches (one of them is a 3* that is +Atk -Hp I think. I forgot the bane), Camilla, Spring Camilla, Cordelia, Michalis, the three Whitewing sisters, Shanna, Subaki, and Florina. I haven't leveled up the last three people though.

This font color is awful on Night Forest. ;/

Anyway, this hinges on what build Spring Camila is running.  She'll definitely get something, though.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

This font color is awful on Night Forest. ;/

Anyway, this hinges on what build Spring Camila is running.  She'll definitely get something, though.

Not sure what you mean by that. I copy pasted this from GameFAQs because I made a topic on there asking about this too. Maybe that changed the formatting? Sorry!

I haven't changed Spring Camilla yet. Should I give her Cecilia's weapon to deal with archers? I only have a 4* Cecilia though. I recall you saying that she's really good. Maybe I'll give her Fortify Fliers? Should I give her something like Reposition or Draw Back too?

1 minute ago, GuiltyLove said:

Not sure what you mean by that. I copy pasted this from GameFAQs because I made a topic on there asking about this too. Maybe that changed the formatting? Sorry!

When you copy-paste text from another source, make sure to select the "remove formatting" option so that text uses the site's default colors instead of the colors of the source. The text color from GameFAQs is dark blue, which is difficult to read on a dark background.

5 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

I haven't changed Spring Camilla yet. Should I give her Cecilia's weapon to deal with archers? I only have a 4* Cecilia though. I recall you saying that she's really good. Maybe I'll give her Fortify Fliers? Should I give her something like Reposition or Draw Back too?

It really REALLY depends on Camilla's boon/bane.  Mine was +Def, meaning that she could tank arrows like no one's business.  You have the material to go the -blade route, though you're looking at a "mere" +12 boost for the time being.

Just now, eclipse said:

It really REALLY depends on Camilla's boon/bane.  Mine was +Def, meaning that she could tank arrows like no one's business.  You have the material to go the -blade route, though you're looking at a "mere" +12 boost for the time being.

I have +Attack -Res. She's actually level 40+1 though because I merged my other one! Her Res is so low... :/ Not sending her in vs other mages

26 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

Depending on what resources you want to blow on Bunmilla, she makes good use of Fury if you keep her original weapon, since the healing offsets the damage from Fury.  I ran her in Arena last season, and she did pretty well, especially on limited terrain maps, like the bridge one.

She could use a weapon trade, but if you don't want to waste a 5*, the blades require a lot of team support, and the ravens can lack much punch, if you don't take TA, too.

The team synergy skills aren't really so much who you give them to, but making sure you have a couple of each, so you always get the full effect, assuming you're doing a Flyer team.

Just now, GuiltyLove said:

I have +Attack -Res. She's actually level 40+1 though because I merged my other one! Her Res is so low... :/ Not sending her in vs other mages

That build screams -blade.  She's not going to care about archers, since she'll one-shot them.  I recommend -blade+, but if you have a spare Nino, you can try it with -blade.

Anyway, with +Atk and -blade+, she'll quite literally OHKO any archer not named Niles, Klein, or Rebecca (she leaves the latter two at 1 HP).  If she's near someone with Goad Fliers, GG.  This means you can run better things in her A slot, like Fury.

Since she's set to go -blade, that means that she'll get one of the Goad Fliers.  The other one can stay on Palla.  That leaves Cordelia/Cherche or Michalis or Subaki with Fortify Fliers.  Heroes really needs a better selection of red fliers. ;/

If you're wondering why there's double blue, it's because reds are the most common type, and Camilla doesn't play well with them.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Heroes really needs a better selection of red fliers. ;/

If Elincia ends up getting Amiti and not being a flying Staff user, she'd have a Personal Brave Sword.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

If Elincia ends up getting Amiti and not being a flying Staff user, she'd have a Personal Brave Sword.

Red Elincia, Colourless Healer Elincia, either or is a niche that's currently hard to fill in Flier Emblem.

Still crossing my fingers for both.

Here's a quickie: can you transfer Sing onto dancers (i. e., Olivia and Ninian)? I'd love to see Ninian singing.
It might be locked to Azura though, and Dance to the dancers.