"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

6 hours ago, Taim Meich said:

Gordin it is then, yeah. His pathetic speed will be somewhat remedied by his great defense. 36 attack at level 40 4* won't do exactly wonders, but enough for my feather budget, thanks to the brave bow.

I'll see if I have a spare Sully around for Swordbreaker, it may help and isn't a big commitment.

Give him Bonfire, and say goodbye to his damage problems.  -Spd is his best bane IMO, since he's so slow that most of the cast doubles him anyway.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Give him Bonfire, and say goodbye to his damage problems.  -Spd is his best bane IMO, since he's so slow that most of the cast doubles him anyway.

The thought crossed my mind, but I only have one adult Tiki, and no male Robin (as in, I've never ever had him), so I'm hesitant to sacrifice my only Bonfire source on a secondary unit. I know I'd severely regret it if I somehow got an Hector, for example.

Just now, Taim Meich said:

The thought crossed my mind, but I only have one adult Tiki, and no male Robin (as in, I've never ever had him), so I'm hesitant to sacrifice my only Bonfire source on a secondary unit. I know I'd severely regret it if I somehow got an Hector, for example.

I think Bonfire Hectors are adorable, since they die before it ever procs.  Gordin can also attempt Moonbow/Dragonic Aura, but I don't think he'll have quite as much punch to his name.

Just now, eclipse said:

I think Bonfire Hectors are adorable, since they die before it ever procs.  Gordin can also attempt Moonbow/Dragonic Aura, but I don't think he'll have quite as much punch to his name.

What would be your preferred Hector special? I thought Bonfire was the consensus, but since I haven't gotten one yet, I've never investigated much on the subject.

Just now, Taim Meich said:

What would be your preferred Hector special? I thought Bonfire was the consensus, but since I haven't gotten one yet, I've never investigated much on the subject.

I'm crazy enough to use Sacred Cowl/Escutcheon.  Hector is most likely going to be attacked twice, so it should proc on the enemy's second attack (assuming Hector is being used as bait).

4 minutes ago, Taim Meich said:

Bonfire works well when Hector is controlled by the player because you can control how much damage he receives.

It's decent on AI Vantage Hector because it'll either land on the Quick Riposte hit if Hector was double attacked or on the Vantage hit if Hector was not. The main thing is that many players have a counter prepared for Hector, meaning he dies before Bonfire can land.

As @eclipse mentions, Escutcheon and Sacred Cowl will activate on the opponent's second hit, which can very well turn a would-be 2-hit kill on him into a 3-hit kill, letting him get off an extra hit or two before he dies.

8 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm crazy enough to use Sacred Cowl/Escutcheon.  Hector is most likely going to be attacked twice, so it should proc on the enemy's second attack (assuming Hector is being used as bait).

If it lets him survive certain mages it may very well worth it. Tharja, and most red mages actually, kill him on the second hit with or without Sacred Cowl (I think, haven't run the calcs), but against the green ones (Nino specially) it may be a thing. Hmmm...

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Bonfire works well when Hector is controlled by the player because you can control how much damage he receives.

It's decent on AI Vantage Hector because it'll either land on the Quick Riposte hit if Hector was double attacked or on the Vantage hit if Hector was not. The main thing is that many players have a counter prepared for Hector, meaning he dies before Bonfire can land.

As @eclipse mentions, Escutcheon and Sacred Cowl will activate on the opponent's second hit, which can very well turn a would-be 2-hit kill on him into a 3-hit kill, letting him get off an extra hit or two before he dies.

I see. I'm mostly concerned on the player phase, where I should (mostly) control who hits my (theoretical, and so far, nonexistent) Hector, so Bonfire would be better, probably. But on a trollish defense set, Sacred Cowl could be interesting.

Edited by Taim Meich

@Taim Meich Bonfire is still his best special, though Sacred Cowl doesn't sound too bad either.

Hector's issues have less to do with him as a unit and more to do with how the meta has moved on without him.

Physical units--especially ranged ones that he is designed to bait and KO--are being replaced with mages that can generally tank a single hit and finish him off before he gets a second attack. The few physical units that do come up are usually reds that he has no business dealing with in the first place. Reinhardt, the ominpotent arena menace, can ORKO Hector despite his WTA and massive health pool. Without positioning support, he hardly gets to do anything at all in most arena games.

Edited by MrSmokestack

4 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

@Taim Meich Bonfire is still his best special, though Sacred Cowl doesn't sound too bad either.

Hector's issues have less to do with him as a unit and more to do with how the meta has moved on without him.

Physical units--especially ranged one that he is designed to bait and KO--are being replaced with mages that can generally tank a single hit and finish him off before he gets a second attack. The few physical units that do come up are usually reds that he has no business dealing with in the first place. Reinhardt, the ominpotent arena menace, can ORKO Hector despite his WTA and massive health pool. Without positioning support, he hardly gets to do anything at all in most arena games.

Fun fact: Sacred Cowl means that a neutral Hector can survive +Atk Reinhardt with DB3.  If Rein's part of pure Horse Emblem, Hector's SOL.  However, I don't run into too many Horse Emblem teams.

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Fun fact: Sacred Cowl means that a neutral Hector can survive +Atk Reinhardt with DB3.  If Rein's part of pure Horse Emblem, Hector's SOL.  However, I don't run into too many Horse Emblem teams.

I think Horse Emblem, and most other 'Emblem' teams, are more offensive teams (I wouldn't run Blade Emblem defensively). If you're sticking your Hector on defence, he'd probably meet a lot more.

If the AI could do the positioning necessary to make Emblem teams scary...

Unless it's Armor Emblem, facing Hector against an arena defense team is already a free win.

27 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I think Horse Emblem, and most other 'Emblem' teams, are more offensive teams (I wouldn't run Blade Emblem defensively). If you're sticking your Hector on defence, he'd probably meet a lot more.

If the AI could do the positioning necessary to make Emblem teams scary...

Couldn't be further from the truth. Emblem teams are terrifying on defense just as much as on the offensive.

Armor Emblem is rare due to the sheer expense that Distant Counter incurs, though Blade Emblem with a Dancer is very hard to predict and bait properly, and that's before terrain is taken into consideration. Horse Emblem is the most common though and 3 Mov makes them the most notorious; Reinhardt being able to cover entire maps in some cases on turn 1 with a Dancer just can't be overlooked. Cecilia and Nino can power through WTD when properly buffed and net a surprise KO.

They're not unbeatable, but they're still tricky to face and the new maps just magnify the problem.

2 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Unless it's Armor Emblem, facing Hector against an arena defense team is already a free win.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Emblem teams are terrifying on defense just as much as on the offensive.

Armor Emblem is rare due to the sheer expense that Distant Counter incurs, though Blade Emblem with a Dancer is very hard to predict and bait properly, and that's before terrain is taken into consideration. Horse Emblem is the most common though and 3 Mov makes them the most notorious; Reinhardt being able to cover entire maps in some cases on turn 1 with a Dancer just can't be overlooked. Cecilia and Nino can power through WTD when properly buffed and net a surprise KO.

They're not unbeatable, but they're still tricky to face and the new maps just magnify the problem.

...Right now, I've got Ryoma, Nowi, Robin (F) and Olivia sat on defence (Olivia used to be a Hector before I got really annoyed at dancers). Should I switch to Lilina/Nino/Linde/Olivia defensively once they're done? Switching one out as a bonus occasionally (I'm actually of half a mind to build an Alfonse and Anna after Blade Emblem is finished)?

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

...Right now, I've got Ryoma, Nowi, Robin (F) and Olivia sat on defence (Olivia used to be a Hector before I got really annoyed at dancers). Should I switch to Lilina/Nino/Linde/Olivia defensively once they're done? Switching one out as a bonus occasionally (I'm actually of half a mind to build an Alfonse and Anna after Blade Emblem is finished)?

Both teams sound pretty good. Does Robin (F) have Raven Adept? That provides great coverage alongside her teammates.

Build Anna before Alejandro, since she will likely be on the next bonus rotation. Her default kit is pretty good already though her special and B passive in particular need fixing. Iceberg and a utility B like Wings of Mercy or even Desperation work well for her specifically.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Both teams sound pretty good. Does Robin (F) have Raven Adept? That provides great coverage alongside her teammates.

Build Anna before Alejandro, since she will likely be on the next bonus rotation. Her default kit is pretty good already though her special and B passive in particular need fixing. Iceberg and a utility B like Wings of Mercy or even Desperation work well for her specifically.

Yep, Robin's got Raven Adept. The first 5* promotion I did was doing that.

Alfonse and Anna will be sitting at 4* at best for a good long while- Lilina and Nino still need their 5* promotions first. And since they'll be on Offence teams on all three seasons and Defence teams two out of three, they're probably a priority over the two that'll be in one season out of three.

(Also, I might give Alfie and Anna Fortify Defence each- mostly because that's +4 Atk none of the Blades can cover for themselves).

EDIT: I now have prepared builds for everyone except for Anna (need an Assist for her, mostly). All the B Skills are humourously the 2 versions, but that's only because I'm missing Cain and Abel. (And Sharena's using Quick Riposte, which goes without explanation).

My question now is: do I upgrade and sacrifice Niles for Iceberg, or do I burn my 4* Lloyd for it? I normally raise the 3* GHB version anyway, and Lloyd's passives are terrible, but...

Edited by phineas81707

Alright, because I'd rather not risk necroing the topic and I can't find any firm explanations for it, I think I have to ask now.

I am utterly lost on getting the the Lunatic Rite of Shadows quests, I've finished the first 2, and managed to get the last one without a lance user (essentially Eirika boosting both Robins while they do the killing and Lissa healing as needed), so still not gotten the fifth quest. I've screwed up Flier Emlem with the third map, gotten past Celica and ???? before getting blasted by the Owl Duo and the 4th map....... Somehow I hate that one most of all. Getting pretty desperate, but I'd rather not spend all my Light's Blessings just yet.

(Unit list in spoilers)

Spoiler

Level 40:

5*: Eirika, Hinoka, MRobin, Springcina, Hector

4*: Navarre, Selena, Draug, Zephiel, Stahl, Caeda, Wendy, Est, Ursula, Frederick, Cherche, Camilla, FRobin, Clarine, Lissa

Level 35+:

5*: Azura

4*: Felicia, Xander, Fae, Setsuna, Barst

3*: Catria, Palla, Cecilia, Subaki

Also, as an aside, which of +Spd/-Def and +Att/-HP is better for Lon'qu?

Alright, because I'd rather not risk necroing the topic and I can't find any firm explanations for it, I think I have to ask now.

I am utterly lost on getting the the Lunatic Rite of Shadows quests, I've finished the first 2, and managed to get the last one without a lance user (essentially Eirika boosting both Robins while they do the killing and Lissa healing as needed), so still not gotten the fifth quest. I've screwed up Flier Emlem with the third map, gotten past Celica and ???? before getting blasted by the Owl Duo and the 4th map....... Somehow I hate that one most of all. Getting pretty desperate, but I'd rather not spend all my Light's Blessings just yet.

Finally managed the 3rd and 4th missions, but now there's the last quest, which I am still pretty lost on what to do. I'd assume Azura can do for a lance user, but I don't know what'll work for sure otherwise. Shockingly, MRobin can 1-round Celica with RTomebreaker equipped, so it's a matter of the Owl duo to figure out (Unless I'm not using someone who can blast ???? in one round)

(Unit list in spoilers)

Spoiler

Level 40:

5*: Eirika, Hinoka, MRobin, Springcina, Hector

4*: Navarre, Selena, Draug, Zephiel, Stahl, Caeda, Wendy, Est, Ursula, Frederick, Cherche, Camilla, FRobin, Clarine, Lissa

Level 35+:

5*: Azura

4*: Felicia, Xander, Fae, Setsuna, Barst

3*: Catria, Palla, Cecilia, Subaki

Also, as an aside, which of +Spd/-Def and +Att/-HP is better for Lon'qu?

Edited by Dayni

Hey. 

So I recently started playing Heroes more consistently but feel completely out of my depth when it comes to knowing what to do to make my teams good. Would it be possible for someone to summarise what to do with my 5*s? I've got a Raven, Rebecca, Titania, Fae and I just got an Abel. Should I be using mainly these or 4*s as well? And is it worth making some of my 4*s into 5*s?

Sorry, I probably sound really dense.

2 minutes ago, Natalie said:

Hey. 

So I recently started playing Heroes more consistently but feel completely out of my depth when it comes to knowing what to do to make my teams good. Would it be possible for someone to summarise what to do with my 5*s? I've got a Raven, Rebecca, Titania, Fae and I just got an Abel. Should I be using mainly these or 4*s as well? And is it worth making some of my 4*s into 5*s?

Sorry, I probably sound really dense.

Go ahead and list the 4* units (and how many feathers you have): 4* units can still make a contribution and fight against 5* units (e.g. using units like FRobin, Selena, Lissa, Fae and so on myself: All but 2 of my 5* units are Blue, so I kinda have to)

As for your 5* units, Titania and Abel can build up as part of a cavalry team for instance. Raven's a solid offensive unit and Fae... I don't know if 5* makes a difference but Fae's been useful for me at least.

16 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Go ahead and list the 4* units (and how many feathers you have): 4* units can still make a contribution and fight against 5* units (e.g. using units like FRobin, Selena, Lissa, Fae and so on myself: All but 2 of my 5* units are Blue, so I kinda have to)

As for your 5* units, Titania and Abel can build up as part of a cavalry team for instance. Raven's a solid offensive unit and Fae... I don't know if 5* makes a difference but Fae's been useful for me at least.

Okay thanks. I've got quite a lot but haven't really trained most.

The ones I'm mostly using are Roy, Subaki, Olivia, M Corrin, Cain, Oboro, Florina, Jakob, Serra and Sakura.

I also have Ogma, Hinata, Palla, Tiki, Raigh, Lukas, Donnel, Peri, Catria, Reinardt, Bartre, Arthur, Beruka, Cecilia, Setsuna, Felicia, Maria and Wrys

Oh and I have almost 40,000 feathers

Edited by Natalie

24 minutes ago, Natalie said:

Okay thanks. I've got quite a lot but haven't really trained most.

The ones I'm mostly using are Roy, Subaki, Olivia, M Corrin, Cain, Oboro, Florina, Jakob, Serra and Sakura.

I also have Ogma, Hinata, Palla, Tiki, Raigh, Lukas, Donnel, Peri, Catria, Reinardt, Bartre, Arthur, Beruka, Cecilia, Setsuna, Felicia, Maria and Wrys

Oh and I have almost 40,000 feathers

Looking at your units, Reinhard is by far the best of them. He's decent at best as 4*, but when he gets promoted to 5* he becomes one of the best units (if not the best) in the game. I'd advise you to promote him, as he can make arena runs and other maps a lot easier.

Other then that, you seem to lack a red unit at 5*, which can be problematic, although Roy should be able to handle most green units at 4* because of triangle adept. At some point you'll want a red unit at 5*, but none of your current red units will become amazing when promoted. If you do want to promote one for higher arena scores, then I'd say promote either Roy or M!Corrin. Preferebly Roy, since you mostly want something to deal with green units, and Roy does that better.

You also have pretty good units for horse emblem, so if you have some spare Gunters or Jagens, you could instead promote Cain and go with Abel, Cain, Titania and Reinhard.

If you don't care to much for arena scores just yet and don't have spare Gunters, you should just use Roy as a 4* untill you get a good red unit to promote. you can always promote him later if you grow impatient.

Hope this helps a bit. btw, do you know the bane/boon of your Reinhard?

6 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

If you don't care to much for arena scores just yet and don't have spare Gunters, you should just use Roy as a 4* untill you get a good red unit to promote. you can always promote him later if you grow impatient.

Hope this helps a bit. btw, do you know the bane/boon of your Reinhard?

Thank you for the help.

So which reds are best to use? 

No I don't. 

1 minute ago, Natalie said:

Thank you for the help.

So which reds are best to use? 

No I don't. 

It depends a bit on your team composition, but since you seem to lack good enemy phase units, ones with distant counter swords would be best. Those would be Xander, Ike and Ryoma, although the first one is a GHB unit, and the later two are 5* only and thus pretty rare outside of focus banners. Other good sword units would be Marth, Lucina, Eldigan and Zephiel (also a GHB unit, but he might return before Xander). Lloyd is aperently pretty good as well, but his event ends today, so you'll only have a few hours left to get him. In the mage department, Celicia (a focus unit till the end of the month) and Tharja are considered the best.

In Horse emblem, Eliwood can become pretty good as well, but Eldigan and Xander are probably prefered.

So yeah, those are units to keep an eye out for. New units are release every two weeks as well, so there might be more good red units coming up. Honestly, your timing is slightly bad, since Ryoma and Ike both had banners at the start of the month, and Xander's GHB was around that time as well. Xander will come back at some point though.

Other units can do fine as well, but it might not be worth it to spend feathers on them now and replace them later if you're still getting into it (if you pull a 5* red, feel free to use them though). Of course, neither Roy nor M!Corrin are bad units, so promoting them isn't neccasarily a waste either. You could always try using one of them as a 4* and if you feel they aren't doing their job good enough and you feel tired of waiting for better units to show up promote them anyway.

You can check boons/banes on the wiki page when the unit is lvl 1, lvl 40, or at a level where you can promote them (you can view their lvl 1 promoted stats before actually promoting them). In Reinhard's case it shouldn't be a deal breaker, since he's good regardless, but knowing them can be important when looking for good sets for units or when asking for help online.