"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

Sorry for the noobish question, but I would like to know what kind of units could benefit from a Red Tomebreaker, because I got a 4* Odin and since I don't really need him (because I have already like 3 like him), I want to get rid of him.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Sorry for the noobish question, but I would like to know what kind of units could benefit from a Red Tomebreaker, because I got a 4* Odin and since I don't really need him (because I have already like 3 like him), I want to get rid of him.

Odin's really easy to get rid of: Almost every blue mage wants -blade rather than their default tomes, Moonbow is great on everyone (particularly brave or killer users using pulse seal, though).

R-Tomebreaker and Defiant Atk are kinda meh, though. R-Tomebreaker because red mages are pretty rare, and Defiant skills are just shit in general.

Edited by DehNutCase

47 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Odin is pretty great as skill fodder because you can use him for Moonbow, his tome, and Red Tomebreaker.

I'm not to sure about what units would like red tomebreaker though. Linde and Delthea might see some use out of it, since they have the resistance to take a hit, but don't always outspeed red mages. Honestly though, red mages aren't as popular as green or blue ones, so cconstructing a specific counter to them feels redundant. Most blue and red units prefer sword breaker over Red Tomebreaker.

Moonbow is a pretty good special though (I personaly run it on my Nino and Cecilia), and several blue mages would really like his tome (Linde and Ursula come to mind), so you could also use him for that. Or you could keep him in reserve for when there is a map with a red mage you can't handle (like the Tempest Trials or a GHB).

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

So, is there anyone who would particularly like to have Close Def? I just happened to blunder into a second Summer!Tiki and just want to assess my options.

Boon/Banes for Reference
Tiki #1: +HP, -Res
Tiki #2: +Atk, -Res

I guess it could replace Fury on Enemy Phase units like Xander and Michealis so you can sacrifice some offence for even more defence. It could be benificial for stuff like chain challenges and Tempest Trials so they need less healing. Although you'd probably run a healer with them anyway, so I'm not sure how much better it would actually be.

28 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Odin's really easy to get rid of: Almost every blue mage wants -blade rather than their default tomes, Moonbow is great on everyone (particularly brave or killer users using pulse seal, though).

R-Tomebreaker and Defiant Atk are kinda meh, though. R-Tomebreaker because red mages are pretty rare, and Defiant skills are just shit in general.

24 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

Odin is pretty great as skill fodder because you can use him for Moonbow, his tome, and Red Tomebreaker.

I'm not to sure about what units would like red tomebreaker though. Linde and Delthea might see some use out of it, since they have the resistance to take a hit, but don't always outspeed red mages. Honestly though, red mages aren't as popular as green or blue ones, so constructing a specific counter to them feels redundant. Most blue and red units prefer sword breaker over Red Tomebreaker.

Moonbow is a pretty good special though (I personaly run it on my Nino and Cecilia), and several blue mages would really like his tome (Linde and Ursula come to mind), so you could also use him for that. Or you could keep him in reserve for when there is a map with a red mage you can't handle (like the Tempest Trials or a GHB).

So, in a few words, it is Moonbow that is mostly useful to inherit from him. Ok then I will wait until I get my hands on a Delthea or Linde and see.
Thank you!

3 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

So, is there anyone who would particularly like to have Close Def? I just happened to blunder into a second Summer!Tiki and just want to assess my options.

Boon/Banes for Reference
Tiki #1: +HP, -Res
Tiki #2: +Atk, -Res

I think Fury is better than Close Defense in the vast majority of situations. Melon Axe+ is a much better skill to inherit in my opinion. You can give that and Quick Riposte to Hector and watch him destroy even more units in his first round of combat.

I would keep #2 since I think that is her best Boon.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

So, in a few words, it is Moonbow that is mostly useful to inherit from him. Ok then I will wait until I get my hands on a Delthea or Linde and see.
Thank you!

If you are going for Delthea, do it soon; her banner ends in a few days so it might be more difficult to get her later.

3 hours ago, Bartozio said:

I guess it could replace Fury on Enemy Phase units like Xander and Michealis so you can sacrifice some offence for even more defence. It could be benificial for stuff like chain challenges and Tempest Trials so they need less healing. Although you'd probably run a healer with them anyway, so I'm not sure how much better it would actually be.

I was actually thinking of giving Close Defense to daddy Michalis but Arc also said that Legion would benefit from the melon axe. I don't want to use infantry units though D: Decisions...

Odin is now 5⋆ and waiting for confirmation in the Inherit Skill dialogue (his tome is going to Ursula).

Apart from Blárblade and Blárblade+, what do I transfer from him now?
I might take New Moon and gobble the second Odin for Moonbow and the whole RTB line.
Or I can take New Moon and gobble a Palla for Moonbow and WoM2.

Or shall I go with something completely different?

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Odin is now 5⋆ and waiting for confirmation in the Inherit Skill dialogue (his tome is going to Ursula).

Apart from Blárblade and Blárblade+, what do I transfer from him now?
I might take New Moon and gobble the second Odin for Moonbow and the whole RTB line.
Or I can take New Moon and gobble a Palla for Moonbow and WoM2.

Or shall I go with something completely different?

You could always feed him New Moon from someone else first and use the Odin for Moonbow (I did this for Linde, which is why Fortify Defence 2 is sitting in Linde's skill list).

As you can probably tell from the fact that I've never done anything with it, it's not exacty good on mileage, but it may help. Especially if you want to do something else for Red Tomebreaker.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

If you are going for Delthea, do it soon; her banner ends in a few days so it might be more difficult to get her later.

I know right...but, I would rather get a Linde anyways...

5 hours ago, XRay said:

I think Fury is better than Close Defense in the vast majority of situations. Melon Axe+ is a much better skill to inherit in my opinion. You can give that and Quick Riposte to Hector and watch him destroy even more units in his first round of combat.

I would keep #2 since I think that is her best Boon.

Sadly, Hector still wants nothing to do with me. Here are the 5* axes other than the Tikis I actually do have to work with: Anna, Minerva (+HP, -Def), Hawkeye (+Atk, -HP), Camilla (+Atk, -HP). I'd imagine Legion would also quite like it as well if I ever get to promoting him. I'm inclined to say that Camilla would benefit the most from Melon Crusher but what do you think?

1 minute ago, Tybrosion said:

Sadly, Hector still wants nothing to do with me. Here are the 5* axes other than the Tikis I actually do have to work with: Anna, Minerva (+HP, -Def), Hawkeye (+Atk, -HP), Camilla (+Atk, -HP). I'd imagine Legion would also quite like it as well if I ever get to promoting him. I'm inclined to say that Camilla would benefit the most from Melon Crusher but what do you think?

Hm... I mean Camilla will certainly benefit, but a lot of other candidates looks like good options too.

Hey there, i have a question about mergin. For example, if i merge a bad boon/bane 5*  to a 4*, will i keep my +1 when i eventually promote my 4* to 5*? Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, Iniktemis said:

Hey there, i have a question about mergin. For example, if i merge a bad boon/bane 5*  to a 4*, will i keep my +1 when i eventually promote my 4* to 5*? Thanks in advance.

Merges do not pass. So if you have a 4 star +10 it'll go back to +0 when you 5 star them!

9 minutes ago, Iniktemis said:

No. Merges never carry over on promotion.

Promoting merged units costs fewer feathers though. If you promote a 4*+1 unit it costs "just" 19700 feathers instead of 20k. Sending home a 4* unit would give you the same 300 feathers, but you wouldn't get SP and learned/inherited skills. 

@Ice Dragon Should I merge my dragons or should I not do that? If I merge them, I will most definitely avoid pony teams, but that is kind of what dragon teams can counter. If I do not merge them, a Julia+10 will murder my lolis. I sniped a few Deltheas and I was thinking about loading some skills onto a bad nature copy, and then I thought about the frequency of facing Julia+10 when my score gets higher due to all the merges.

I pulled a 5* Clair with +Atk -Spd on the Quick Riposte banner, and since favouritism, I'd like to use her. What do I do with the 4* variants I've pulled- especially since one has a lot of levels and SP? Promote and merge them at some point, or don't bother with the promotion? Or is Hit and Run actually decent?

(Or make it a 4* merge with Silver Lance+ and Spur Speed 3? I seem to recall another +Atk Clair as one of them...)

18 minutes ago, XRay said:

@Ice Dragon Should I merge my dragons or should I not do that? If I merge them, I will most definitely avoid pony teams, but that is kind of what dragon teams can counter. If I do not merge them, a Julia+10 will murder my lolis. I sniped a few Deltheas and I was thinking about loading some skills onto a bad nature copy, and then I thought about the frequency of facing Julia+10 when my score gets higher due to all the merges.

+10 Julia isn't much of an issue if your Tiki is close in merges.

I personally find the +10 Arena to be a lot less stressful than the +0 Arena. Going deathless is less of an issue since you can lose 2 units and still score just under 5,000 points, and you avoid cavalry (and GHB units) entirely.

All units are tankier at +10, which is a good thing for dragon teams because dragons are good at tanking and your opponents are not when you have Triangle Adept and weapon triangle advantage.

When your own units are +10, matchmaking can't use your opponents' merge levels to find opponents with high enough score, meaning it has to resort to things like opponents with Aether and Wings of Mercy instead of actually functional skills.

The only real threat is Bride Cordelia, who commonly runs Firesweep Bow and often Fury (avoids one-hit kills a bit more easily). If you find her to be a problem, Bowbreaker Delthea should work to remove her. I haven't seen the one person with two Bride Cordelias in a while, so I assume their score rating isn't high enough to match up against me.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

+10 Julia isn't much of an issue if your Tiki is close in merges.

I personally find the +10 Arena to be a lot less stressful than the +0 Arena. Going deathless is less of an issue since you can lose 2 units and still score just under 5,000 points, and you avoid cavalry (and GHB units) entirely.

All units are tankier at +10, which is a good thing for dragon teams because dragons are good at tanking and your opponents are not when you have Triangle Adept and weapon triangle advantage.

When your own units are +10, matchmaking can't use your opponents' merge levels to find opponents with high enough score, meaning it has to resort to things like opponents with Aether and Wings of Mercy instead of actually functional skills.

The only real threat is Bride Cordelia, who commonly runs Firesweep Bow and often Fury (avoids one-hit kills a bit more easily). If you find her to be a problem, Bowbreaker Delthea should work to remove her. I haven't seen the one person with two Bride Cordelias in a while, so I assume their score rating isn't high enough to match up against me.

Thanks, I will proceed with loading my fodder copy of Delthea with skills then.

26 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I pulled a 5* Clair with +Atk -Spd on the Quick Riposte banner, and since favouritism, I'd like to use her. What do I do with the 4* variants I've pulled- especially since one has a lot of levels and SP? Promote and merge them at some point, or don't bother with the promotion? Or is Hit and Run actually decent?

(Or make it a 4* merge with Silver Lance+ and Spur Speed 3? I seem to recall another +Atk Clair as one of them...)

I would promote and merge them as some point. I do not recommend down merging (I just made up that term) since you will lose those merge levels when you promote Clair back to 5*.

I think Drag Back is more useful than Hit and Run, but that is up to personal preferences. With Hit and Run, you can move another unit into the square Clair just occupied, finish off the enemy, and shield Clair from another melee enemy. I prefer Drag Back since I almost always run a Dancer/Singer to move any unit out of enemy range.

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

I would promote and merge them as some point. I do not recommend down merging (I just made up that term) since you will lose those merge levels when you promote Clair back to 5*.

Yeah, might as well have an amazing 5*, and leave Florina to the 4* merge. A decent flier lance unit might make up for my best lancers at the moment being Sharena and Effie.

And hey, if Tana turns out terrible, I have a strong backup.

I'm looking into promoting some units to 5* and 4* so that I might use them more: some of the 3* units are worth considering as well! I'm actually just going to round it down to more useful ones because I don't think people are going to care about promoting Maria for instance.

Spoiler

4* units:

Roy (+Spd/-Def, might be a neat choice), Lloyd (He is a fast sword, which I am lacking), Ursula (Mounted mage: No other words needed), Clarisse (Legit my best bow right now), Eliwood (+Spd Eliwood would be great with Desperation. Better if he was -Res though), Legion (Well, it does make sense), Cherche (Just add Brave Axe+, a good B and a Special), Zephiel (Because Draug's attack sucks and reducing attack helps the party and himself), F!Robin (She does have countercav as well), Fae (She's -Def sadly), Kagero (+Res/-HP, might be a good magic counter)

3* units:

Nino (+Spd/-HP: Would you know I still don't have a 4* one? Is it worth it now or wait for +Att that doesn't hurt speed), Frederick (Luna Bait), Lissa (Rehabilitate bait for Clarine), Narcian (It's Narcian is legit the only reason, I have Michalis, Cherche and Camilla at higher rarites and both have +Att), Subaki (+Spd/-HP, because tanky flier), Palla (Because my Caeda is -Spd, Neutral), Catria (Because my Est sucks, Neutral)

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

I'm looking into promoting some units to 5* and 4* so that I might use them more: some of the 3* units are worth considering as well! I'm actually just going to round it down to more useful ones because I don't think people are going to care about promoting Maria for instance.

Hide contents

4* units:

Roy (+Spd/-Def, might be a neat choice), Lloyd (He is a fast sword, which I am lacking), Ursula (Mounted mage: No other words needed), Clarisse (Legit my best bow right now), Eliwood (+Spd Eliwood would be great with Desperation. Better if he was -Res though), Legion (Well, it does make sense), Cherche (Just add Brave Axe+, a good B and a Special), Zephiel (Because Draug's attack sucks and reducing attack helps the party and himself), F!Robin (She does have countercav as well), Fae (She's -Def sadly), Kagero (+Res/-HP, might be a good magic counter)

3* units:

Nino (+Spd/-HP: Would you know I still don't have a 4* one? Is it worth it now or wait for +Att that doesn't hurt speed), Frederick (Luna Bait), Lissa (Rehabilitate bait for Clarine), Narcian (It's Narcian is legit the only reason, I have Michalis, Cherche and Camilla at higher rarites and both have +Att), Subaki (+Spd/-HP, because tanky flier), Palla (Because my Caeda is -Spd, Neutral), Catria (Because my Est sucks, Neutral)

Fae might be fine with -Def, and Nino prefers +Spd.

6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Eliwood (+Spd Eliwood would be great with Desperation. Better if he was -Res though)

Desperation Eliwood would prefer -Def so that his Res can power Iceberg.

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Cherche (Just add Brave Axe+, a good B and a Special)

Cherche doesn't need a B skill because she simply doesn't benefit all that much from any of them, except maybe Cancel Affinity (and even then, that's only useful outside of the Arena or as part of an Arena defense team).

Other than Cancel Affinity, it's just Axebreaker for Hector, Drag Back or Hit and Run for general utility, or Wings of Mercy for teleportation.

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Fae (She's -Def sadly)

Triangle Adept Fae build if you have Fortify Dragons support is -Def.

15 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Fae might be fine with -Def, and Nino prefers +Spd.

Yeah, of course Nino wants +Spd, my fault for forgetting.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Desperation Eliwood would prefer -Def so that his Res can power Iceberg.

Cherche doesn't need a B skill because she simply doesn't benefit all that much from any of them, except maybe Cancel Affinity (and even then, that's only useful outside of the Arena or as part of an Arena defense team).

Other than Cancel Affinity, it's just Axebreaker for Hector, Drag Back or Hit and Run for general utility, or Wings of Mercy for teleportation.

Triangle Adept Fae build if you have Fortify Dragons support is -Def.

OK, that's good to hear, he is -Def. I think I might be able to fish for Iceberg eventually.

My Cherche currently has Vantage 2, but Axebreaker/Wings of No Mercy makes sense.

As for Fae, unfortunately Fae is the only good dragon I have right now. I burnt my F!Corrins a while ago (The events are too stupid to repeat) and A!Tiki is the only other one I pulled.