"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

1 minute ago, bethany81707 said:

I mostly summon by which focus I want. Roy and Tailtiu would be nice, but I don't really have any red or blue focuses around. If I were to want Dorcas a little more, maybe I could go for Titania there, but as it stands, I'm waiting for a known future banner and it's blue focus. (Also a green focus I want, kinda...)

I still need Tailtiu and not -Atk Oscar, too, but similarly, I haven't done much pulling on Blue for the last few Banners.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What IV build so you guys recommend for Nowi with a Steady Breath build? On Gamepress it recommends a +Def / -Spd. Would that be accurate?

I have a few Nowi with different IVs so pretty flexible on best options. Trying to find a build that works best. Seems to have changed with release of Steady Breath.

Edited by Kaoxt

15 minutes ago, Kaoxt said:

What IV build so you guys recommend for Nowi with a Steady Breath build? On Gamepress it recommends a +Def / -Spd. Would that be accurate?

I have a few Nowi with different IVs so pretty flexible on best options. Trying to find a build that works best. Seems to have changed with release of Steady Breath.

I’m not really seeing any reason to not run the usual +Atk/-Res alongside the Lightning Breath Def upgrade. I’d get a 2nd opinion though.

24 minutes ago, Kaoxt said:

Yeah. I ran it through the arcticsilverfox calculator and it looks about right.

Nowi -Spd
Lightning Breath [Def Refine], Bonfire
Steady Breath, Quick Riposte
Player Phase [+Atk] 170:9:16
Player Phase [+Def] 170:11:14
Player Phase [+Atk, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 155:25:15
Player Phase [+Def, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 151:18:26
Player Phase [+Atk, Merge+10] 167:12:16
Player Phase [+Def, Merge+10] 166:10:19
Player Phase [+Atk, Merge+10, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 155:19:21
Player Phase [+Def, Merge+10, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 153:12:30

Personally, I would opt for +Atk since I place a higher emphasis on killing more things in a unit's first round of combat, but +Def is not bad either.

6 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

I’m not really seeing any reason to not run the usual +Atk/-Res alongside the Lightning Breath Def upgrade. I’d get a 2nd opinion though.

I think they are trying to preserve her bulk with neutral Resistance so she can withstand magic attacks to retaliate twice at higher merges. The Speed bane is for charging Bonfire I think.

Edited by XRay

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

I think they are trying to preserve her bulk with neutral Resistance so she can withstand magic attacks to retaliate twice at higher merges. The Speed bane is for charging Bonfire I think.

Bonfire is charged after Nowi’s 1st counterattack due to Steady Breath (barring enemies with Guard, but if that’s the case it’s only charged after the round of combat is over). I suppose there’s something to the Res argument, though.

17 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah. I ran it through the arcticsilverfox calculator and it looks about right.

Nowi -Spd
Lightning Breath [Def Refine], Bonfire
Steady Breath, Quick Riposte
Player Phase [+Atk] 170:9:16
Player Phase [+Def] 170:11:14
Player Phase [+Atk, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 155:25:15
Player Phase [+Def, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 151:18:26
Player Phase [+Atk, Merge+10] 167:12:16
Player Phase [+Def, Merge+10] 166:10:19
Player Phase [+Atk, Merge+10, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 155:19:21
Player Phase [+Def, Merge+10, Enemies with Fury Overwrite] 153:12:30

Personally, I would opt for +Atk since I place a higher emphasis on killing more things in a unit's first round of combat, but +Def is not bad either.

Which Boon/bane would you personally go for?

Edited by Kaoxt

Wo

It is pretty easy to figure out what skills and natures to use with an updated calculator. I have been using arcticsilverfox calculator more lately since it got Weapon Refinement included in. I am assuming it properly takes into account Breaths' special Refinement effects.

Which Boon/bane would you personally go for?

Either is fine, but if I have both natures, I would go for +Atk first and merge that to +9/+10, and save the +Def copy just in case +Def turns out to be a better killer than +Atk later in the future.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Gamepress recommended Ignis, while I used Bonfire. Running through the calculator, Bonfire for some reason nets more kills than Ignis against neutral vanilla enemies; overwriting the enemies' A slot with Fury gave Ignis an extra kill over Bonfire. If the calculator is correct and it is not bugged, I recommend running Bonfire over Ignis since not every enemy runs Fury at higher merges, but I would just inherit both and try both out.

Edited by XRay

Hoo boy, I now have more questions than I expected to have tonight.

1. What would be good for a +Atk/-Spd Sigurd? Is his default kit okay, or would some SI be recommended?

2. Would Eirika be better with +Def/-Spd, or +Atk/-Def? I now have both at 5-stars, and I'm not sure who to merge into who. She's running Reposition/Moonbow/TA3/SB3 and the Hone C and S skills as a survival/buffing build, if that affects anything. And for future reference, what would be an ideal boon/bane for Eirika to have?

3. I also got an Elise as well. Would a Combat Maria (+Atk with Spd+3) be good with Gravity+? Or would she rather just keep her Panic+? I don't mind foddering an Elise to Maria, but if Maria's base weapon is better already, then I'm also okay with keeping Elise around for now.

Oh! And another question about dragons, which I suppose may be best to ask @Ice Dragon about, if possible. Now that dragons will target the lower defensive stat of an enemy with two range, would Moonbow still be the best Special to run on a Lightning Breath+ dragon (specifically Young Tiki in my own case)? Or would Glimmer be the better option now?

Edited by DefaultBeep

10 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Hoo boy, I now have more questions than I expected to have tonight.

1. What would be good for a +Atk/-Spd Sigurd? Is his default kit okay, or would some SI be recommended?

2. Would Eirika be better with +Def/-Spd, or +Atk/-Def? I now have both at 5-stars, and I'm not sure who to merge into who. She's running Reposition/Moonbow/TA3/SB3 and the Hone C and S skills as a survival/buffing build, if that affects anything. And for future reference, what would be an ideal boon/bane for Eirika to have?

3. I also got an Elise as well. Would a Combat Maria (+Atk with Spd+3) be good with Gravity+? Or would she rather just keep her Panic+? I don't mind foddering an Elise to Maria, but if Maria's base weapon is better already, then I'm also okay with keeping Elise around for now.

Oh! And another question about dragons, which I suppose may be best to ask @Ice Dragon about, if possible. Now that dragons will target the lower defensive stat of an enemy with two range, would Moonbow still be the best Special to run on a Lightning Breath+ dragon (specifically Young Tiki in my own case)? Or would Glimmer be the better option now?

1. Sigurd loves Bonfire/Ignis, but with +Atk Draconic Aura can serve him well. He barely needs SI apart from a positioning skill and a better special but giving him a Cavalry buff skill it's also pretty good. You can give him Distant Counter but that clashes with Crusaders Ward pretty hard and it's not worth it imo.
  2. Go +Atk -Def. Eirika's main source of bulk comes from her good Speed+Hp. The best natures for her are +Atk/+Spd -Hp to keep her mixed bulk, with a buffing build she'll barely fight but being able to survive a hit and maybe kill an Axe/Sword/Mage is pretty good. Not giving best girl Distant counter/Steady breath is blasphemy

For question 3 someone with a better grasp on healers may be of more help but as far as I know Gravity+ works better on Troubadours thanks to their high reach but it still works wonders for infantry healers. In any case if you wish to give Gravity+ to Maria the best option is to sacrifice a Lissa to her, Elise is pretty rare and with Horse Emblem buffs she reaches absurd levels of power.

I just got a +hp/-atk catria. Because i am f2p, she is my only 5* flier, and my only 5* non-infantry unit other than reinhardt. Is she worth investment? (especially refining stones, given that they are in short supply just now.) If so, what's a good build?

11 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

In most circumstances, Moonbow is better than Glimmer. It's only when you're up against opponents with tons of HP and not a lot of Def/Res that Glimmer is better.

If you're running a Triangle Adept build, I've never really been in a situation where Moonbow was necessary to secure a kill. If you're using a different build, I really have no clue.

If you find you're not in need of the additional damage, I might also suggest Noontime.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

It is pretty easy to figure out what skills and natures to use with an updated calculator. I have been using arcticsilverfox calculator more lately since it got Weapon Refinement included in. I am assuming it properly takes into account Breaths' special Refinement effects.

I’ve been staring at its output for the Nowi matchup, and it seems to be erroneously applying an HP bonus to units with upgradable weapons ex. Jagen is listed as having 42 HP, when in reality his neutral stat is 37. There are a number of others like that as well, though I did not go through everyone.

It should be properly applying the Breath refinement effect, the results I’m getting out of mine are pretty close (Jagen was one of the differences, actually). I see 169:10:12 for +Atk/-Spd, vs the 170:9:16 from that calculator (mine doesn’t have the Children of Fate folk...though I guess I can go ahead and add Rhajat).

8 minutes ago, Alexmender said:
  1. Sigurd loves Bonfire/Ignis, but with +Atk Draconic Aura can serve him well. He barely needs SI apart from a positioning skill and a better special but giving him a Cavalry buff skill it's also pretty good. You can give him Distant Counter but that clashes with Crusaders Ward pretty hard and it's not worth it imo.
  2. Go +Atk -Def. Eirika's main source of bulk comes from her good Speed+Hp. The best natures for her are +Atk/+Spd -Hp to keep her mixed bulk, with a buffing build she'll barely fight but being able to survive a hit and maybe kill an Axe/Sword/Mage is pretty good. Not giving best girl Distant counter/Steady breath is blasphemy

For question 3 someone with a better grasp on healers may be of more help but as far as I know Gravity+ works better on Troubadours thanks to their high reach but it still works wonders for infantry healers. In any case if you wish to give Gravity+ to Maria the best option is to sacrifice a Lissa to her, Elise is pretty rare and with Horse Emblem buffs she reaches absurd levels of power.

1. Awesome, I'll just see which of those I have more fodder for then. I may give him a DC/QR build eventually, but that would require actually getting a Hector at all, so I'm good with keeping his base kit if it already works for him.

2. Alright, good to know. I have a +Atk/-Res 4-star Eirika that I was thinking about promoting, but I'll wait to see if I get her with -HP before doing anything. What do you mean? I already plan to give Sheena DC ;)

3. The main thing is just that I don't really care all that much about Elise, or about using her for Horse Emblem. There are a lot of things I want to spend 20,000 feathers on as well, so if I can avoid doing that at all, especially for something like + staves, then I'd happily do that. But I'm at least going to get her to 3,000 HM first, so I'll have some more time to decide on what to do with her.

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

In most circumstances, Moonbow is better than Glimmer. It's only when you're up against opponents with tons of HP and not a lot of Def/Res that Glimmer is better.

If you're running a Triangle Adept build, I've never really been in a situation where Moonbow was necessary to secure a kill. If you're using a different build, I really have no clue.

If you find you're not in need of the additional damage, I might also suggest Noontime.

Alright, cool, I just wanted to make sure before I used up one of my few Glimmer fodders on somebody else. She is indeed running a TA3 build (I finally got my third Roy ever since launch, which is nice), so I may actually go with Noontime, especially while I'm grinding her in the Tempest. Otherwise, I have a good number of spare Athenas and Pallas, so I can always switch to Moonbow later. Thanks, to both of you!

1. What upgrade to Slaying Axe should I give Amelia? (+res - hp if that matters). I'm guessing either Atk or Spd, but I'm not sure which one is more helpful.

2. Does a +atk -hp Bride Cordelia do better with a Brave Bow or Firesweep?

3. Which A Tiki is better? +hp -spd to tank more hits or +atk -hp to deal more damage?

8 hours ago, sirmola said:

I just got a +hp/-atk catria. Because i am f2p, she is my only 5* flier, and my only 5* non-infantry unit other than reinhardt. Is she worth investment? (especially refining stones, given that they are in short supply just now.) If so, what's a good build?

Sorry about bumping this, but I am about to have a ton of time to grind.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I had a general question. Can someone explain why moonbow, glimmer, and noontime are much better than luna, astra, and sol? I am partly wondering because i have much more fodder for luna, astra, and sol (especialy if the above catria is garbage).

17 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

[...]

On the topic of Cordelia, what do people think about her Brave Lance+ and Firesweep Lance+ builds? I'm trying to decide which one I want to build if I start working on her.

[...]

Cordelia has been my first candidate for firesweep until I pulled a +SPD Tana, who is slightly faster than Cordelia. Tana is great with that lance + hit&run, but I came back to use her native Lance and CD. Perhaps it's because I'm not a fan of -sweeps in general. 

Cordelia +ATK is one of my few merged units and I run her with Brave Lance. If I ever will get a +SPD copy, I will change to that nature for more quads and instant Galeforce. 

8 hours ago, sirmola said:

Catria ends up being pretty weak with an Atk bane, so I wouldn't invest too heavily in her, unless you plan to promote another one with a better nature later on and merge them. She has a relatively balanced stat spread, so she really won't stand out as great, no matter how you build her. That said, her native skillset works reasonably well on her, as Armored Blow and Seal Atk can be a nice combo. Her best build would probably be something like LnD + Swordbreaker, but I would save the fodder for better units.

Reposition is a great assist in general, but even better on fliers, since they can help allies across rivers and mountains. Since you don't have any other 5* fliers, that would be good to give her for now. So basically you could give her Reposition and some C-passive (e.g., Hone Atk) and have her fully built.

8 hours ago, Zelgius said:

I'm building a +Res/-Spd Deirdre but I'm not sure what kind of A skill to give her. I was thinking Attack/Res 2 since I have a -att Bride Caeda sitting around.

I put Res+3 on my +Res Deirdre, but I would consider Atk/Res 2 to be probably the optimal option. Her Res is so good that she can often take a magical hit and still stay in the QR range, and she really doesn't need the boosts to other stats that Fury gives. A -Spd Deirdre is terminally slow, and her Def is just irredeemable to begin with, so, yeah, I'd say Atk/Res 2 is best.

1 hour ago, Skfoos said:

3. Which A Tiki is better? +hp -spd to tank more hits or +atk -hp to deal more damage?

+Atk is better. Her defense is really good, so she doesn't really miss the HP from an HP bane.

7 minutes ago, sirmola said:

Sorry about bumping this, but I am about to have a ton of time to grind.

I had a general question. Can someone explain why moonbow, glimmer, and noontime are much better than luna, astra, and sol? I am partly wondering because i have much more fodder for luna, astra, and sol (especialy if the above catria is garbage).

They have a charge time of 2, so you get to use them much more often. For example, fast characters can often activate their specials each engagement. So Noontime can allow them to recover HP following the enemy's counter, and Moonbow/Glimmer can help ensure the kill. Astra takes too long to charge, and the damage multiplier will usually just be overkill, so it's much less useful. Luna is quite good though.

10 hours ago, Kaoxt said:

Would you go -res?

-Res is not bad either, but I prefer -Spd since Nowi needs to be doubled to get a higher kill count.

9 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

I’ve been staring at its output for the Nowi matchup, and it seems to be erroneously applying an HP bonus to units with upgradable weapons ex. Jagen is listed as having 42 HP, when in reality his neutral stat is 37. There are a number of others like that as well, though I did not go through everyone.

It should be properly applying the Breath refinement effect, the results I’m getting out of mine are pretty close (Jagen was one of the differences, actually). I see 169:10:12 for +Atk/-Spd, vs the 170:9:16 from that calculator (mine doesn’t have the Children of Fate folk...though I guess I can go ahead and add Rhajat).

Maybe it is doing that to anticipate enemies having Refined Weapons? Once Kagero Chart's Calculator is updated, I can compare and contrast the results between the two to confirm the performance of a unit more accurately.

9 hours ago, sirmola said:

I would set her aside and wait for a 4* copy with a better nature, and then promote the good 4* copy and merge the bad 5* into the promoted one.. Unless a unit is exclusively 5*, I would not invest in a copy with a bad nature.

9 hours ago, Zelgius said:

I'm building a +Res/-Spd Deirdre but I'm not sure what kind of A skill to give her. I was thinking Attack/Res 2 since I have a -att Bride Caeda sitting around.

I would rather merge BB!Caeda than to sacrifice her; if she is your only copy, then it is better to keep her around as having more units is almost always better than having a few overpowered units since Arena Assault exists. Atk/Res is nice but unnecessary on Deirdre, as Fury and Triangle Adept are much better, and if you are just using her for Arena Assault and want to invest minimally, then Attack +3 is sufficient.

2 hours ago, Skfoos said:

1. What upgrade to Slaying Axe should I give Amelia? (+res - hp if that matters). I'm guessing either Atk or Spd, but I'm not sure which one is more helpful.

2. Does a +atk -hp Bride Cordelia do better with a Brave Bow or Firesweep?

1. Depends on her build and what you want her to do. For Player Phase build, I would go for +Spd. For Enemy Phase build, both +Atk and +Def are good; I prefer +Atk for more damage.

2. Brave Bow. I got that BB!Cordelia too!

3. +Atk is better for more damage. Tanking is irrelevant in my opinion if you cannot dish out the damage. Enemies with Vantage and charged Specials are dangerous and can overwhelm tanks.

40 minutes ago, sirmola said:

Moonbow is not better than Luna. Moonbow is used on non-Brave Weapon and non-Slaying Weapon builds or in Dire Thunder-Moonbow-Quickened Pulse combo. Luna is for quad attack Brave builds or on Slaying Weapon builds.

Do not use Glimmer unless you are out of Moonbow but still need a 2 cooldown Special. Moonbow is generally superior.

Noontime is better for quicker HP regeneration. Sol heals more, but it does not activate quick enough in my opinion.

Edited by XRay

Looks like the only units I currently have that are worth refining the weapons for are dragons (after already having done Bridal Lyn), but I have no idea which path to refine them towards.  Got a +Atk/-Res Y!Tiki, +Spd/-HP Nowi, and a neutral Fae (also have a +Spd/-HP, +Res/-Spd, and +HP/-Atk version, she's flexible as I haven't feathered her to 5-star yet).  Currently they all have Lightning Breath+, but could probably switch that off with relative ease if Light Breath or Dark Breath is better.  I'm not including Steady Breath or Wrath as options here as I do not have the fodder to do it.

Tiki I assume will want to keep Lightning Breath and go with Fury to take advantage of her bulk and respectable speed, though I don't use dragons enough to say that with confidence.  Since she's not +Spd, I'm not sure if this would really be worthwhile (though looking at the matchups, it does change Brave Ike attacking her from a draw to a win, but then I lose out quite a few other matchups by a couple of points of damage).  Defense seems nice, but without going all-in on it with Steady Stance/Breath, doesn't really seem as good as attack or speed.

Nowi's currently running TA/QR, and running the sims it looks like either Atk or Spd is the way to go.  Atk gets a handful of extra kills while Spd nets a couple but mostly keeps her alive from being doubled by greens in a worst case scenario.  Leaning heavily towards +Spd here.

Fae I have absolutely no experience using at all, so I have no idea what to do with her.  Any input is helpful here.

Once I decide on those three (which should hopefully be some time this week, worst case next week), I'll be able to upgrade Sol Katti.  Which leads to the question of what to put on Lyn's B slot.  Only real choices for me are Escape Route or Swordbreaker (since no Wrath fodder).  If fighting another Swordbreaker user, does Brash Assault still let me double if my speed is high enough/regardless of speed difference, or would I need my own Swordbreaker for that matchup?

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, XRay said:

I would set her aside and wait for a 4* copy with a better nature, and then promote the good 4* copy and merge the bad 5* into the promoted one.. Unless a unit is exclusively 5*, I would not invest in a copy with a bad nature.

I actualy have a +atk -res 4* catria, but was not sure if i should use feathers on her vs any other flier, such as ghb michalis. Currently, Nowi is next on my list for feathers/refinery stones, and I was sort of thinking of doing michalis next. Would +1 catria be a better choice?

Part of the reason I asked about moonbow is that my only moonbow fodder is my 4* TT joshua, who i would perfer to save for things like inheriting windsweep, or  merging int my 5* joshua if i have feathers to spare (because he is the only merge oprotunity joshua is likely to get..

Edited by sirmola

8 minutes ago, sirmola said:

I actualy have a +atk -res 4* catria, but was not sure if i should use feathers on her vs any other flier, such as ghb michalis. Currently, Nowi is next on my list for feathers/refinery stones, and I was sort of thinking of doing michalis next. Would +1 catria be a better choice?

Catria is not a huge priority in my opinion since there are tons of other good lance fliers. If she is your best lance flier, then I would promote her, but I would not make her a priority and focus on other units just in case someone like Tana, Hinoka, or Cordelia shows up.

18 minutes ago, GinRei said:

Looks like the only units I currently have that are worth refining the weapons for are dragons (after already having done Bridal Lyn), but I have no idea which path to refine them towards.  Got a +Atk/-Res Y!Tiki, +Spd/-HP Nowi, and a neutral Fae (also have a +Spd/-HP, +Res/-Spd, and +HP/-Atk version, she's flexible as I haven't feathered her to 5-star yet).  Currently they all have Lightning Breath+, but could probably switch that off with relative ease if Light Breath or Dark Breath is better.  I'm not including Steady Breath or Wrath as options here as I do not have the fodder to do it.

Tiki I assume will want to keep Lightning Breath and go with Fury to take advantage of her bulk and respectable speed, though I don't use dragons enough to say that with confidence.  Since she's not +Spd, I'm not sure if this would really be worthwhile (though looking at the matchups, it does change Brave Ike attacking her from a draw to a win, but then I lose out quite a few other matchups by a couple of points of damage).  Defense seems nice, but without going all-in on it with Steady Stance/Breath, doesn't really seem as good as attack or speed.

Nowi's currently running TA/QR, and running the sims it looks like either Atk or Spd is the way to go.  Atk gets a handful of extra kills while Spd nets a couple but mostly keeps her alive from being doubled by greens in a worst case scenario.  Leaning heavily towards +Spd here.

Fae I have absolutely no experience using at all, so I have no idea what to do with her.  Any input is helpful here.

Once I decide on those three (which should hopefully be some time this week, worst case next week), I'll be able to upgrade Sol Katti.  Which leads to the question of what to put on Lyn's B slot.  Only real choices for me are Escape Route or Swordbreaker (since no Wrath fodder).  If fighting another Swordbreaker user, does Brash Assault still let me double if my speed is high enough/regardless of speed difference, or would I need my own Swordbreaker for that matchup?

Thanks!

For Y!Tiki, I would go with +Atk for more kills.

For Nowi, I would go with +Atk. There is no reason to ever make a Triangle Adept unit fight against a color they are weak against in the first place, as that is a generally a terrible idea since Nowi has teammates who can do that job for her, so those match ups do not need to be considered. A Triangle Adept unit's only role is to counter colors they are strong against, and the only reason fight other colors is to finish a kill or something that does not jeopardize their survival.

Edited by XRay