"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

2 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

Could someone do some maths for me or tell me how to do them? I want to see the match up of 2-3 Subaki's builds against Black Night, since aside of BH!Lyn, he's the main problem my Flier Emblem team has to face (since including F!Robin wouldn't counter him as she does with BH!Lyn and Rein) and he'll probably be my next project.

However, I want to see some numbers first. I want to compare a Subaki with neutral Atk and Neutral def (worst scenario, as I won't promote a -Atk or -Def one) with: Sapphire Lance +, Steady Stance or Armored Blow (here's my main question), Quick Riposte and Bonfire against Black Night (Black Luna charged if possible), Steady Stance (+6 Def, while Steady Breath is better, it gives +4 Def, and I'm looking worst scenarios) and Vantage. Neither Subaki or Black Night would have buffs or debuffs. 

I'd need to know both Player Phase and Enemy Phase calcs.

Thanks!

Here is your worst-case BK +1. In his effects Tab (signed with a exclamation mark) you can change the special cooldown to 0. 

On the right side (Defender Settings) you can build your Subaki (or up to 5 Subaki builds if you use the other slots). If you want to switch between enemy phase and player phase, just hit "swap" at the bottom of the Defender/Attacker Settings.

• Good news is even vanilla neutral Subaki survives Black Luna (no steady stance/armored blow needed)
  • Killing BK is another thing. Subaki would need to deal at least two hits with one of them releasing Bonfire on EP. So BK 5*+1 with Black Luna charged would die attacking a vanilla 5*+0 Subaki with Bonfire and QP seal.
  • But not even changing QR for Swordbreaker would let QP/Bonfire Subaki kill BK+1 on player phase, because of Steady Stance.  Subaki (Swordbreaker, QP, Bonfire) would need addtional +4 ATK (through skill, nature and/or buff) to kill BK+1 on player phase. 

Edited by mampfoid

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I'm considering what to do with this extra Fjorm I managed to pull. She's -ATK, and I'm perfectly content just keeping my neutral one. I love the ATK/DEF bond skill however. I had originally planned to give it to Boey (once I got a +ATK copy that wasn't also -DEF...). I figure with the -owl tome, when I'm using him, he'll usually have someone beside him, so it'll synergize well. But now that I think about it, Lukas might like it.

He's one of those characters I'm planning to build at 5*+10. I've just had Fortress DEF on him for the time being. The ATK penalty doesn't bother him that much. But potentially getting +5 to both ATK and DEF would really help him out. Sure, it's situational, but he'd still have pretty solid ATK And DEF without it, and he'd be a monster with it.

What do you think?

Adding to what @MrSmokestack said, I also would not use Atk/Def Bond since it sucks on a nuke (they need to break formation to attack an enemy) and a tank/Enemy Phase nuke would rather use Fury, Steady Breath, or Triangle Adept since they are not dependent on positioning as much and work far better. Fortress Def also hurts Boey as a combat unit since his Attack is already very low, and Defense +3 is generally better since it keeps the unit's Attack intact and the difference of 2 Defense is not that significant; Fortress skills are usually reserved for support units like Dancers/Singers and some staff healers.

2 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

Could someone do some maths for me or tell me how to do them? I want to see the match up of 2-3 Subaki's builds against Black Night, since aside of BH!Lyn, he's the main problem my Flier Emblem team has to face (since including F!Robin wouldn't counter him as she does with BH!Lyn and Rein) and he'll probably be my next project.

However, I want to see some numbers first. I want to compare a Subaki with neutral Atk and Neutral def (worst scenario, as I won't promote a -Atk or -Def one) with: Sapphire Lance +, Steady Stance or Armored Blow (here's my main question), Quick Riposte and Bonfire against Black Night (Black Luna charged if possible), Steady Stance (+6 Def, while Steady Breath is better, it gives +4 Def, and I'm looking worst scenarios) and Vantage. Neither Subaki or Black Night would have buffs or debuffs. 

I'd need to know both Player Phase and Enemy Phase calcs.

Thanks!

These are the two calculators that I use regularly:
Kagero Chart's calculator
arcticsilverfox's calculator

I also found Andu2's calculator recently (looks similar to arcticsilverfox's calculator) but it does not have the terrain function and missing some features.

I do not recommend calculating it manually, but the damage calculation wiki page will tell you how to do it by hand.

55 minutes ago, Thienphu said:

i pulled a +res/-def shiro. Should i build him? If so, how should I build him?

That is a pretty bad nature in my opinion, so I would just keep his default build until you get a better copy. Shiro needs his Defense intact.

He can run two builds:

+Atk -Res
Bright Naginata, Moonbow
Distant Counter, Quick Riposte
Enemy Phase 157:9:29

+Atk -Res
Bright Naginata, Ignis
Steady Breath, Quick Riposte
Enemy Phase [Melee Enemies Only] 105:1:9

Edited by XRay

1. Which B skill would a +Atk/-HP Bride Cordelia want? Since I'm cheap, she's only getting LnD2 but she is going to get Brave Bow+ since I don't have a BB+ archer yet. Problem is, even if she gets LnD3, 35 speed after BB+ is a bit low for Desperation IMO.

2. Does an armor team all want Swap or a mix of Swap and Pivot? I have Hector and Black Knight so I was thinking maybe they should equip Swap(Right now they have Pivot) so they switch themselves to the front lines to tank hits if they happen to be in the back and/or move around the remaining 2 members(Effie and Sheena) to get them(mostly just Effie) into position to initiate on an enemy. Note that this is just for casual play. 

1 minute ago, tobuShogi said:

1. Which B skill would a +Atk/-HP Bride Cordelia want? Since I'm cheap, she's only getting LnD2 but she is going to get Brave Bow+ since I don't have a BB+ archer yet. Problem is, even if she gets LnD3, 35 speed after BB+ is a bit low for Desperation IMO.

Cancel Affinity is an option if you see Triangle Adept Litrraven users often. Otherwise, you can always use a Weaponbreaker or Wings of Mercy.

2 minutes ago, tobuShogi said:

2. Does an armor team all want Swap or a mix of Swap and Pivot? I have Hector and Black Knight so I was thinking maybe they should equip Swap(Right now they have Pivot) so they switch themselves to the front lines to tank hits if they happen to be in the back and/or move around the remaining 2 members(Effie and Sheena) to get them(mostly just Effie) into position to initiate on an enemy. Note that this is just for casual play. 

If you do not use Armor March and more than half of your team (3 or 4) is armored units, use Swap.

If you do not use Armor March and you are only using 1 armored unit, use Pivot.

If you do not use Armor March and you are using 2 armored units, take your pick.

If you use Armor March, Swap still works fine, but Reposition is also an option.

For those who have Wrath and Flier Formation, when you go to Inherit Skill and Skill Search for B skills, where do they sort those two skills? I am assuming Wrath is placed right below Shield Pulse while Flier Formation is placed below Escape Route.

Similarly, where are Tactics and Guidance placed? I am assuming Tactics are placed between normal Hones and movement Hones, just like how Drives are placed between regular Spurs and movement Spurs. I am guessing Guidance is placed after Armor March since it deals with movement.

Updating my character data sheet on Google Docs is a pain in the ass with the Special cooldown update, so I decided to use vlookup so I do not have to update each affected character manually. It does not really matter how I organize the skills, but I prefer to organize it the "official" way.

1 hour ago, tobuShogi said:

Similar to Blade mages, they work best with buffs, although Brave Bow archers are not as reliant on them.

Edited by XRay

Here's the deal:
Didn't get Deirdre from the Legendary Heroes banner, so I'm itching to build another green mage. I can build a -raven mage with Bowbreaker and got 40,000 Feathers ready for promotions and the Tome inheritance.

I looked up some of the mages, I have in my collection.
Obviously, Nino and Soren are much better -blade mages and Julia has no physical bulk to tank even 1 hit from an archer. Already have -raven Cecilia in my horse team.
That leaves me with Boey and F!Robin. My Merric is +Atk, -Res and imo he isn't suited for this. He trades Atk for more Spd and he is worse in either Def or Res compared to the two. Besides, he has Dark Excalibur access now so I think he has a different niche.

F!Robin is ... F!Robin. Balanced stats with nothing standing out. One of my first 5* was M!Robin so I'm familiar with her performance (with the exception of her being green ofc).
Boey (+Atk, -Hp) on the other hand has more Atk and Def but trades Spd and Res for it. The former is pretty neglible, Res on the other hand makes him worse at tanking Reinhardt and Blue -blade mages like Linde.

If I did my calculations on KageroChart correctly, Linde with Fury and Eirika buffs (Fortify Def/Res) will ORKO this Boey. Robin will survive the fight but won't kill her off which leaves vulnerable to WoM units.
Ironically Boey manages to win against L&D -blade Olwen with Hone Cavalry since he can kill her with 1 hit. Robin will leave her alive and take more damage as a result. Both lose if Olwen receives Fortify Cavalry.

In general both do their job in killing archers like all versions of Brave Lyn. The question is which one performs better against Blue and as you see here, there are mixed results.

25 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am assuming Wrath is placed right below Shield Pulse while Flier Formation is placed below Escape Route.

Flier Formation follows Shield Pulse. Wrath follows Flier Formation.

25 minutes ago, XRay said:

Similarly, where are Tactics and Guidance placed?

Atk Tactic follows Fortify Dragons. Def Tactic follows Atk Tactic. Guidance follows Armor March.

Do Ploy skills take into account buffs? Or are they based on strictly raw stats?

For example, my Sheena has 34 Res. If another armored unit had Fortify Armor, it adds +6 to her Res, putting her at 40. Would Atk Ploy use the 40 Res to proc or the 34 Res?

15 minutes ago, Tragonight said:

Do Ploy skills take into account buffs? Or are they based on strictly raw stats?

For example, my Sheena has 34 Res. If another armored unit had Fortify Armor, it adds +6 to her Res, putting her at 40. Would Atk Ploy use the 40 Res to proc or the 34 Res?

Start-of-turn buff/debuff activation order is:

1. Existing buffs are dispelled.
  2. Debuffs to opponents are applied.
  3. New buffs are applied.

Tested on Story 1-9-5:

• Zephiel with 24 Res and Atk Ploy 3 standing in the same column as Veronica with 26 Res.
  • Sheena adjacent to Zephiel with Fortify Armor, giving Zephiel 30 Res.
  • Veronica does not get affected by Atk Ploy.

Also tested on turn 2 to determine whether buffs wear off first or remain active until after debuffs are applied. Zephiel failed to hit Veronica with Atk Ploy again with 24+6 Res.

@Tragonight It’s based on the stat before buffs.

Gave Atk Ploy seal to Hector and rolled 9th stratum, getting a Gray with 19 Res. Hector also has 19 Res. The expected result after being buffed by Fortify Armor is to apply the Ploy debuff to Gray, but this doesn’t occur in practice.

sniped

Edited by MrSmokestack

42 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Flier Formation follows Shield Pulse. Wrath follows Flier Formation.

Atk Tactic follows Fortify Dragons. Def Tactic follows Atk Tactic. Guidance follows Armor March.

I completely missed the mark on Flier Formation.

12 minutes ago, Talandar said:

Here's the deal:
Didn't get Deirdre from the Legendary Heroes banner, so I'm itching to build another green mage. I can build a -raven mage with Bowbreaker and got 40,000 Feathers ready for promotions and the Tome inheritance.

I looked up some of the mages, I have in my collection.
Obviously, Nino and Soren are much better -blade mages and Julia has no physical bulk to tank even 1 hit from an archer. Already have -raven Cecilia in my horse team.
That leaves me with Boey and F!Robin. My Merric is +Atk, -Res and imo he isn't suited for this. He trades Atk for more Spd and he is worse in either Def or Res compared to the two. Besides, he has Dark Excalibur access now so I think he has a different niche.

F!Robin is ... F!Robin. Balanced stats with nothing standing out. One of my first 5* was M!Robin so I'm familiar with her performance (with the exception of her being green ofc).
Boey (+Atk, -Hp) on the other hand has more Atk and Def but trades Spd and Res for it. The former is pretty neglible, Res on the other hand makes him worse at tanking Reinhardt and Blue -blade mages like Linde.

If I did my calculations on KageroChart correctly, Linde with Fury and Eirika buffs (Fortify Def/Res) will ORKO this Boey. Robin will survive the fight but won't kill her off which leaves vulnerable to WoM units.
Ironically Boey manages to win against L&D -blade Olwen with Hone Cavalry since he can kill her with 1 hit. Robin will leave her alive and take more damage as a result. Both lose if Olwen receives Fortify Cavalry.

In general both do their job in killing archers like all versions of Brave Lyn. The question is which one performs better against Blue and as you see here, there are mixed results.

In my opinion, specialized tanks like Julia and Boey is better than mixed tanks like F!Robin. Julia is for tanking blue mages while Boey is for tanking archers. F!Robin can do both roles at the same time with Quick Riposte, but she will need merges to reliably handle top tier threats.

What would you guys suggest a good team to build around Brave Ike? Do you guys generally prefer dancers on your let's say "main" team?

I have been missing Azura, Reinhardt, and whatever bonus hero lately in arena with him and seems to be going well. Having a dancer seems to work too well, but looking for suggestions on how to improve.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

In my opinion, specialized tanks like Julia and Boey is better than mixed tanks like F!Robin. Julia is for tanking blue mages while Boey is for tanking archers. F!Robin can do both roles at the same time with Quick Riposte, but she will need merges to reliably handle top tier threats.

No offense but you're missing the point.
I really don't care if there are tanks that only specialize against 1 enemy type. You don't have that luxury during Arena Assault. I always dread the thought if I have to face Cavalier teams with Brave Lyn and Reinhardt more than twice, that's why I want another green mage with a -raven build besides Cecilia.
Quick Riposte makes the match-up against archers worse though since you take more than damage than you need to and it doesn't help if one faces the Firesweep + CA Brave Lyn. In that specific case Bowbreaker allows your mage to survive and kill her on the player-phase.

But in a way you're answered my question regarding the issue with Blue mages. I calculated the match-up between them vs +10 Reinhardt with QP Moonbow + Hone Cavalry buff; Boey actually dies while Robin survives with 6 Hp. This makes the decision a bit easier.

15 minutes ago, Talandar said:

No offense but you're missing the point.
I really don't care if there are tanks that only specialize against 1 enemy type. You don't have that luxury during Arena Assault. I always dread the thought if I have to face Cavalier teams with Brave Lyn and Reinhardt more than twice, that's why I want another green mage with a -raven build besides Cecilia.
Quick Riposte makes the match-up against archers worse though since you take more than damage than you need to and it doesn't help if one faces the Firesweep + CA Brave Lyn. In that specific case Bowbreaker allows your mage to survive and kill her on the player-phase.

But in a way you're answered my question regarding the issue with Blue mages. I calculated the match-up between them vs +10 Reinhardt with QP Moonbow + Hone Cavalry buff; Boey actually dies while Robin survives with 6 Hp. This makes the decision a bit easier.

You don't even have to promote her to do the job. Vanilla 4* F!Robin (with TA3 and level 1 HP seal) kills Reinhardt (5*+10 +ATK, DB3, Moonbow, QP seal, buffed by Hone Cav and Fortify Cav on Defense Tile) on EP and PP. 

Edited by mampfoid

12 minutes ago, Talandar said:

You don't have that luxury during Arena Assault.

Actually, you do have that luxury in Arena Assault more than most other modes because you know beforehand exactly what units you are against, which allows you to build a team entirely out of counters.

The problem is not that you need a unit that can handle both. It's that you don't currently have the resources to build two units, one for each purpose.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Actually, you do have that luxury in Arena Assault more than most other modes because you know beforehand exactly what units you are against, which allows you to build a team entirely out of counters.

The problem is not that you need a unit that can handle both. It's that you don't currently have the resources to build two units, one for each purpose.

Problem is if the RNG isn't kind enough you're eventually running out of counters and that's something you cannot control aside from having enough units in stock.
That's why I find it quite inefficient to build a counter each if there are units that can do both jobs 'decently enough'. (also not everyone is a whale that use unlimited money works on the game)

1 minute ago, Talandar said:

Problem is if the RNG isn't kind enough you're eventually running out of counters and that's something you cannot control aside from having enough units in stock.
That's why I find it quite inefficient to build a counter each if there are units that can do both jobs 'decently enough'. (also not everyone is a whale that use unlimited money works on the game)

There's nothing wrong with not having the resources to build two units, but the problem should be stated as exactly what it is. (Precision of language is important. That's really all I wanted to say.)

Tanks that specialize at countering one specific enemy type are at their best in Arena Assault. You don't have the luxury of building them because building two units to counter two threats costs twice as much as building one unit to counter the same two threats.

A few quick Arena questions:

1. Does Summoner Support increase the Arena points at all? I put it on Ayra just in case, but I'd like to know for sure if anyone can confirm it.

2. About how much of a score boost would Aether be worth compared to something like Moonbow? I'm considering using my extra Ike to give Aether to Ninian, since she's almost always on my Arena team, but I'm not sure if the points would be worth not giving someone else Heavy Blade for.

@XRay @MrSmokestack So would you guys say that the "bond" skills just aren't worth using at all then? I actually don't really care to merge Fjorm. I'm sure I'll try to use her more in the future, but I want to give her QR...and I don't feel like wasting more feathers atm. XD I actually think she's worth more points than my +1 Ephraim in the Arena, so I may swap them.

I actually kind of like using the -owl tomes quite a bit. -Blade tomes are superior, but at least in AA, -owl tomes are super useful when I run out of buff bots. I plan to give Boey both a Raven build and an owl build later on. For now, I may consider giving Lukas Steady Stance if I have it in me to sacrifice a BK, but ATK/DEF feels more convenient...

13 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

1. Does Summoner Support increase the Arena points at all? I put it on Ayra just in case, but I'd like to know for sure if anyone can confirm it.

No.

14 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

2. About how much of a score boost would Aether be worth compared to something like Moonbow? I'm considering using my extra Ike to give Aether to Ninian, since she's almost always on my Arena team, but I'm not sure if the points would be worth not giving someone else Heavy Blade for.

Every 100 SP is worth 1 Arena point per match before dividing over the number of characters and including the bonus character multiplier.

Assuming your team is 4 units and you are using a bonus character, every 100 SP is worth 0.5 Arena points per match.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

No.

Alright, that's actually very nice to hear. I'll keep it on Ayra for now just to make the battles themselves a bit easier, but I'm glad that I don't have to worry about losing points if I take it off later.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Every 100 SP is worth 1 Arena point per match before dividing over the number of characters and including the bonus character multiplier.

Assuming your team is 4 units and you are using a bonus character, every 100 SP is worth 0.5 Arena points per match.

Perfect! So just giving Aether to one person over Moonbow would give 1.5 Arena points, if I'm understanding correctly. Not a huge jump, but if I want to eventually stay in Tier 20 consistently, it still might be worth it regardless. Thanks!