"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Yes, the merged unit will inherit everything from the old one incluiding forged weapons.

Ok good. I figured as much but I suddenly got worried that if I ever pulled a better version of a unit I'd have to get the items again.

8 hours ago, Eridras said:

I have a +Res -Spd A!Tiki and I’m considering giving her the +Res Lightning Breath and Distant Defence to make her a mixed ranged tank. That’d give her 35/31 defenses as a base and 41/37 when defending against ranged. I could then also give her the Close Defense seal to cover melee. B skill would be QR so she could actually kill things.

This all sounds good in my head, but I have no experience using her, or dragons beyond Ninian. They’d be paired up if this build is made. Any opinions/thoughts?

Her Speed and Attack are still too low to reliably tank any nuking mages besides Green (except Julia and Deirdre), so I would run Triangle Adept on her instead and just focus against green units in general.

3 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

On another note, I've been debating which A skill Deirdre with +Def/-Atk should get. I've seen quite a few people put Fury on their units with QR but I'm questioning how effective it actually is as it drops the unit out of QR range quicker.  

Fury is for genera tanking. In the Arena, Fury damage does not matter since she is unlikely to face off more than one opponent at a time, as competent players would kill her in one round. Also, the defense team's goal is not to survive but deal the most damage possible and hopefully kill something to punish the player for any mistakes they made.

If you need a unit with sustainability, Player Phase units and Triangle Adept units are what you are looking for.

Silly question, but why is Lightning Breath (Def+) preferred over Lightning Breath (Spd+) for Nowi?

Sure, she takes less physical damage with Def+ but with the Spd+, she avoids being doubled more often at 33 spd with Fury 3.

What are people's thoughts on this one? :)

7 minutes ago, Stylish said:

Silly question, but why is Lightning Breath (Def+) preferred over Lightning Breath (Spd+) for Nowi?

Sure, she takes less physical damage with Def+ but with the Spd+, she avoids being doubled more often at 33 spd with Fury 3.

What are people's thoughts on this one? :)

Sometimes getting doubled is a good thing, if you're taking little damage, since it lets you activate your special on the counter attack.

15 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Sometimes getting doubled is a good thing, if you're taking little damage, since it lets you activate your special on the counter attack.

Ahh fair point. Is this primarily in the context of Steady Breath?

As much as I'd love a spare Brave Ike, I'm only running Fury 3, QR and Moonbow with DD 3 seal.

The minute weapon refinement came out, I've pulled the trigger on the Spd variant of Lightning Breath for my +Atk -Res Nowi (doh). I guess my question is... does this make her a lot less viable?

Just now, Stylish said:

As much as I'd love a spare Brave Ike, I'm only running Fury 3, QR and Moonbow with DD 3 seal.

The minute weapon refinement came out, I've pulled the trigger on the Spd variant of Lightning Breath for my +Atk -Res Nowi (doh). I guess my question is... does this make her a lot less viable?

Steady Breath can help, but it can work with lots of builds.  On my Xander, I run Bonfire, and with Fury 3 and Fort Cavalry, his defense his 47.  He'll shrug off two hits, then kill just about anything that isn't Blue.

I don't know the numbers, but your Nowi can probably work just fine.  She may be able to one shot a lot of units like Lyn with the forged Breath, so doubling may not even be an issue.  Plus, if they ever release Hone Dragons, that Speed will become a lot more useful.

8 hours ago, Stylish said:

Getting hit twice means Moonbow lands on the second counterattack.

8 hours ago, Stylish said:

I guess my question is... does this make her a lot less viable?

I fail to see how making a character stronger makes them less viable.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I fail to see how making a character stronger makes them less viable.

I think he’s asking if he’s boned because he picked the “wrong” refinement for Nowi.

@Stylish You’re fine. Refinements are treated as separate skills so you can still grab the +Def refine and use that instead

Until you can get Steady Breath, replacing Fury with Triangle Adept is a good idea if you don’t have access to Swordbreaker.

9 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I think he’s asking if he’s boned because he picked the “wrong” refinement for Nowi.

Because gaining +1 Atk, +3 Spd, and targeting the lower of Def and Res against ranged opponents makes you boned, apparently.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people treat viability as a yes-no measure where anything less than the absolute best is a "no". Like how somehow a -Res Deirdre is somehow not viable to run her default Spd Ploy despite having 32 Res as if somehow 32 Res on a -Res character is somehow worse than 32 Res on a +Res character.

Edited by Ice Dragon

47 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Because gaining +1 Atk, +3 Spd, and targeting the lower of Def and Res against ranged opponents makes you boned, apparently.

The context seemed to be "is +Spd refinement a lot less viable than +Def refinement", not is a bad refinement worse than no refinement.  Basically, "is it worth doing another refinement to get the better/more viable refinement after having already done one."

45 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's a pet peeve of mine when people treat viability as a yes-no measure where anything less than the absolute best is a "no". Like how somehow a -Res Deirdre is somehow not viable to run her default Spd Ploy despite having 32 Res as if somehow 32 Res on a -Res character is somehow worse than 32 Res on a +Res character.

I don’t get it either. And in this situation you can simply work on another refinement if you don’t like the one you worked on initially.

Lots of units don’t care too much what their boon and bane are because they either have a unique skill to compensate or have a high enough base for a drop in that stat to not affect them as much.

15 minutes ago, GinRei said:

The context seemed to be "is +Spd refinement a lot less viable than +Def refinement", not is a bad refinement worse than no refinement.

"Very viable" is only slightly less viable than "very viable".

It's like "Oh no, I gave my Attack +3 Seal to Lyn instead of Reinhardt. Whatever will my Reinhardt do?" levels of shrug.

Sure, spending rocks on something that will almost certainly be replaced kind of sucks, but that wasn't the question.

6 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Can someone tell me the iv of this Nowi?

[+Spd, -HP].

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

DC, BTB, Def Ploy, Res-forged Berkut’s lance, Reposition, and Iceberg on Res/HP Florina: yes or hell yes?

@Hilda made an awesome Clair with DC and Berkuts lance and I keep getting her in the current VG. She eats most magic and instead of a breaker (she is fast enough) she uses Guard (anti-Moonbow/QP). 

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

@Hilda made an awesome Clair with DC and Berkuts lance and I keep getting her in the current VG. She eats most magic and instead of a breaker (she is fast enough) she uses Guard (anti-Moonbow/QP). 

Huh, Guard is a great choice too. I also might have three Rezzies sitting in my barracks looking pretty. Too bad that Guard is 5★-only.

5 hours ago, GinRei said:

The context seemed to be "is +Spd refinement a lot less viable than +Def refinement", not is a bad refinement worse than no refinement.  Basically, "is it worth doing another refinement to get the better/more viable refinement after having already done one."

Thanks GinRei and MrSmokestack, you know where I'm coming from :)

Thanks for the input everyone! Thanks for confirming you can get other versions of the forged skill.

Edited by Stylish

Could somebody please point me in the direction of a list for skills' SP values? I've been wanting to use that arena score calculator but I'm not sure what the SP cost for some of my units' skills are so I can use it. Mainly trying to tell if my Ayra is worth more than my Ike, to see if I should replace him on the team for points.

@Alkaid https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Skills every linked article (weapons, assists, passives, specials) got a sheet with SP costs. 

My question:

I hope until the end of this voting gauntlet I'll be able to promote Fae (+ATK -HP) to 5*. I already gave her Lighting Breath+ and my last fodder for TA3 and QR2 was booked for her.

I'm not so sure about her special anymore. Moonbow, Draconic Aura Glimmer or Iceberg? 

Some builds suggest Steady Breath, but to cover which treats? 

Which refinement should I give her weapon? +RES? 

Edited by mampfoid

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

I'm not so sure about her special anymore. Moonbow, Draconic Aura Glimmer or Iceberg? 

If you are running Steady Breath, you want Iceberg or Bonfire depending on which defensive stat ends up higher (remember to take Steady Breath's +4 Def into account).

With anything else, it's your pick of Moonbow, Iceberg, or Aether, depending on how much damage you want to do and how often you need it to activate.

5 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Steady Breath is used more for the Special skill charge rate in combination with Iceberg or Bonfire to activate it in every round of combat than for covering threats.

7 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

If you are using Triangle Adept, +Def lets her take even less damage from lances, but +Res lets her shrug off green tomes better, whichever you find more threatening.

If you are using anything else, it really depends on what you need her to do on your team.

12 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

@Alkaid https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Skills every linked article (weapons, assists, passives, specials) got a sheet with SP costs. 

My question:

I hope until the end of this voting gauntlet I'll be able to promote Fae (+ATK -HP) to 5*. I already gave her Lighting Breath+ and my last fodder for TA3 and QR2 was booked for her.

Thanks dude, I keep forgetting about gamepedia outside of tier list memes..

I've been running a Fae with that build as well (but +atk -res), and I went for Moonbow and +def forging. Moonbow since LB+ increases the CD I didn't see her getting out a 3+1 turn special in most arena matches with only 1-2 units I'd want her to deal with. I went with +def forge to sure up her low def against lances and melee greens. With TA she's already fine against blue mages, even with my -res one, so it helps round out her anti-blue role. +res does help against green tomes, but I personally just let my red unit take care of them instead, with Fae's anti-blue role usually being a big enough job for her.

Steady Breath is good, but I'd save it for if you whale or really like her.  It's expensive but helps her do a more all-purpose role. Otherwise, with Rein and all the nasty blues out there I think the TA build performs perfectly fine for if you're not especially invested in her.

Which Barst is best Barst?

+SPD/-RES

+SPD/-HP

+ATK/DEF

I have 2 potential Reposition fodders but they all have annoyingly good natures and I actually want to build a Barst at some point so I'd like to keep the best one.

Edited by Zeo

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

If you are running Steady Breath, you want Iceberg or Bonfire depending on which defensive stat ends up higher (remember to take Steady Breath's +4 Def into account).

With anything else, it's your pick of Moonbow, Iceberg, or Aether, depending on how much damage you want to do and how often you need it to activate.

Steady Breath is used more for the Special skill charge rate in combination with Iceberg or Bonfire to activate it in every round of combat than for covering threats.

If you are using Triangle Adept, +Def lets her take even less damage from lances, but +Res lets her shrug off green tomes better, whichever you find more threatening.

If you are using anything else, it really depends on what you need her to do on your team.

I need her for TTs to max HM on various (mostly balanced) teams and then in AA as a blue counter. If I ever get to build a dragon team (I have a Ninian ready, a vanilla +HP/-ATK Y!Tiki and a +ATK/-SPD A!Tiki to promote), she'll be a member for sure. 

Her role as a blue counter would imply TA for her, but it seems with Fury/QR/Moonbow/(+DEF refinement) she doesn't need TA to counter most blues on EP (draws against +10 Gwen, Roderick & Jagen). 

37 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Thanks dude, I keep forgetting about gamepedia outside of tier list memes..

I've been running a Fae with that build as well (but +atk -res), and I went for Moonbow and +def forging. Moonbow since LB+ increases the CD I didn't see her getting out a 3+1 turn special in most arena matches with only 1-2 units I'd want her to deal with. I went with +def forge to sure up her low def against lances and melee greens. With TA she's already fine against blue mages, even with my -res one, so it helps round out her anti-blue role. +res does help against green tomes, but I personally just let my red unit take care of them instead, with Fae's anti-blue role usually being a big enough job for her.

Steady Breath is good, but I'd save it for if you whale or really like her.  It's expensive but helps her do a more all-purpose role. Otherwise, with Rein and all the nasty blues out there I think the TA build performs perfectly fine for if you're not especially invested in her.

No she doesn't really need Steady Breath. I'll probably ever get only this one spare Ike to waste and I'm considering every single unit I'm building for this skill (and distant defense as well). 

Good thing about the refinement: it's not permanent. I'll go with +DEF for now, and eventually give her another in the future. 

Thanks guys! With the tier list updates I thought there were some skills for her I didn't think of. I don't know why Glimmer gets recommended so often now.