"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

That sounds kinky.

Valter isn't picky about who he penetrates with his Cursed Lance. Am I talking about his weapon? Who knows....

Edited by BANRYU

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, BANRYU said:

[...]

For low-budget Valter, Darting Blow, Luna, and Cursed Lance are all great and his B-slot is quite flexible; Escape Route and Vantage synergize really well with his lance, Lancebreaker lets him pick up some extra coverage on Effie and faster lancers, and Desperation.... ...is kinda overrated on him IMO since he's not actually THAT fast, I wouldn't super recommend it but you can if you want. C-slot is Threaten Defense or your choice of buff.

He can also run a set with Fury + Desperation, but as mentioned he doesn't hit that much speed so unless you're triple-Goading him I wouldn't super recommend it. Bonfire or Vengeance for the proc (since he's gonna get real low on HP real fast lol). 

[...]

Valter is one of the best candidates for the Desperation + Brash Assault trick. If you forget to equip the seal from time to time, at least Desperation is not completely wasted, since 40 SPD (31 + Cursed Lance + Fury + Hone SPD) will double quite some enemies. 

20 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Are quad builds still viable in version 2.0, or it is too difficult to pull off?

I'd say yes, but with the stipulation that you're better off taking someone with high Attack and low Spd and going for a Brash Desperation situation. The low might of Brave weapons and their penalty to Speed makes them more attractive for a Brash Desp build and less so for speedy, frail units than stuff like Firesweep IMO. Others might disagree, but... yeah that's my take. 

19 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

Out of Slaying Edge, Wo Dao, and Brave Sword, which would a +Spd/-Res Hana like? I was initially going to give her BB but a +Atk one sounds a little better. Then I was thinking she might want Wo Dao to go with Moonbow and Desperation(if that is a thing). If Wo Do(also which refinement?) is better, would she like Fury over LnD for the extra bulk? Is 55 physical bulk post LnD a passable benchmark if she is forced to take a hit? 

I am not sure what you mean by BB.

Hana's best nature is +Atk in my opinion. +Spd is still good.

Hana +Spd -Res
Brave Sword, Luna
Life and Death, Desperation
Player Phase 149:30:16
Player Phase [27/37HP] 153:38:4
Player Phase [Fury] 133:31:31

Hana +Spd -Res
Slaying Edge [Attack], Luna
Player Phase 161:18:16
Player Phase [31/42HP] 147:40:8
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement]] 158:18:19
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement], 31/42HP] 139:41:15
Player Phase [[Defense Refinement]] 157:9:29
Player Phase [[Defense Refinement], 31/42HP] 135:31:29
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement], Fury] 153:4:38
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement], Fury, 31/42HP] 129:25:41

Hana +Spd -Res
Wo Dao [Attack], Luna
Player Phase 164:18:13
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement]] 162:18:15
Player Phase [[Defense Refinement]] 162:9:24
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement], Fury] 159:4:32

I personally would not run Fury since it reduces her kill count. Fury does allow her to tank better, but I usually do not factor in a unit's tanking abilities if they are meant to be Player Phase units.

15 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Many questions.

Hide contents

~Out of the 3 Soleils, which is the best? +Atk -Spd, +Res -HP, and pure Neutral. I was thinking +Res -HP since it's a max level BST boost, but still.

I would go with neutral since it affects her Player Phase combat the least negatively. I think BST only matters if it crosses a multiple of 5. 161-163 are all treated as 160 if I remember correctly. The only time when nature matters for BST is when it is something like 163-165, where 163 and 164 are treated as 160 and 165 is treated as 165.

~What units would want a Firesweep Sword+  most? I have a +Spd -Res Cain that might like the sword after I get him LnD3 somehow.

Any unit with high Attack and Speed. I would give a little more weight to Speed since it is easier to increase damage output by doubling.

~Would Eldigan benefit from Fury 6 with a +Spd -Atk nature?

I do not see how Eldigan would not benefit.

~Would anyone want a Silver Lance+ that can't inherit it naturally?

I do not think anybody wants it. Slaying Lance is superior. Silver Weapons are not bad, but Slaying Weapons are better and Killer Weapons are everywhere, it just takes a little more effort to make Killer Weapons into Slaying Weapons.

~What kind of unit would want Blárowl+?

Blades have superior performance and Ravens are better for tanking bows. Owl tomes can be decent if you surround the mage with three allies, but that kind of positioning restriction is impractical in my opinion. If they relax the restriction to allies within 2 squares or boost the stat gain from 2 to 3, it would probably be more useful.

~Can Klein function somehow with a +Spd -HP nature? It might be workable if he gives up his Brave Bow+ for something else...

I do not see how that is a bad nature. It is not his best nature, but it is pretty good.

~Who would want a Slaying Bow+?

Brave Bows are better for nuking and Guard Bows are better for tanking. Brave Bow archers can run Slaying Bow, but they will be less effective in my opinion. I think archer tanks are just better off with Guard Bow rather using another weapon.

~What kind of skill would a Firesweep user want as their B Skill? For reference, the unit would be a +Spd -Res Catria.

It is pretty flexible. They can go for Hit and Run to make it easier for Allies to Assist, Breakers for guaranteed doubles, Poison Strike for more damage, or Seals for debuff. A lot of players choose Hit and Run based on what I have seen.

~I'm still trying to decide what I wanna do with my Faye... Brave Lyn might like it, but it's a pretty sharp decrease to her speed outside of Horse Emblem...

Firesweep Bow trades its nuking power for the ability to shut down counter attacks. BH!Lyn does not need a full pony team to utilize her offensive builds well, she just needs another cavalry partner. She is not going to be as powerful without a Brave Bow, but she can pick on everyone with impunity and even shut down raven mages when given Cancel Affinity.

~Can healers, specifically Genny, run +Atk natures now that they can run Wrathful Staff?

+Atk nature is good. Even support healers may want to run +Atk natures now since Attack helps boost their healing. Genny is still super slow though and she does not have access to movement buffs, so do not expect her to one round units much.

I have typed the answers under the questions.

11 hours ago, BANRYU said:

Valter isn't picky about who he penetrates with his Cursed Lance. Am I talking about his weapon? Who knows....

He probably has more than one weapon toy. How else is he going to smash both Renais Twin at once?

11 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

Have you read Valter's lines? That's tame by comparison.

I have not yet actually. Are there any other kinky characters with great lines that I should know about too?

11 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Just how Valter would like it.

Cormag likes it too apparently, taking his anger out on Valter slowly and sadistically. Fifty Shades of Gray...Do.

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Are quad builds still viable in version 2.0, or it is too difficult to pull off?

I would also like to add that characters with high Attack and Speed probably prefers Refined Slaying Weapons and Wo Dao over Brave Weapons now. Lucina already prefers her Falchion over Brave Sword before version 2.0.0 and does even better with Slaying Edge/Wo Dao. I have not checked every character yet, but the fast ones I have checked so far like Raven and YS!F!Robin do better with Slaying Weapons.

@XRay, you tackle these kind of questions a lot, don't you...? Nothing wrong with that, but it's almost like you are the leading authority on such.

...actually I'm a frequent asker of such questions to... hope it's not annoying... Anyways...

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, XRay said:

I would go with neutral since it affects her Player Phase combat the least negatively. I think BST only matters if it crosses a multiple of 5. 161-163 are all treated as 160 if I remember correctly. The only time when nature matters for BST is when it is something like 163-165, where 163 and 164 are treated as 160 and 165 is treated as 165.

I suppose BST won't be affected by merges? I feel like I read about what you said before...

Any unit with high Attack and Speed. I would give a little more weight to Speed since it is easier to increase damage output by doubling.

My highest Attack and Speed swords are the aformentioned Cain (+Spd -Res) and my +5 merge Elincia (+Spd -Res). Elincia has been built completely around her Amiti, while Cain is... still riding TA3 Brave Sword. So guess I know what I'll work on next...

I do not see how Eldigan would not benefit.

My greatest worry is that -Atk Eldigan only has as much attack as a +Atk Eldigan before even one Fury 3 while +Spd with Fury 6 has 34 Speed, which is a little low and might not be easy to work skills around (Desperate Assault combo might be easy to trigger, though it's still a gimmick, and Vantage while easy I feel would be better suited for someone with DC).

Blades have superior performance and Ravens are better for tanking bows. Owl tomes can be decent if you surround the mage with three allies, but that kind of positioning restriction is impractical in my opinion. If they relax the restriction to allies within 2 squares or boost the stat gain from 2 to 3, it would probably be more useful.

Ah... almost seems more fitting to just merge Mae into my current Mae... again...

I do not think anybody wants it. Slaying Lance is superior. Silver Weapons are not bad, but Slaying Weapons are better and Killer Weapons are everywhere, it just takes a little more effort to make Killer Weapons into Slaying Weapons.

Ugh... they should have done a Skill refinery upgrade for Silver Lance... well I'll keep it in mind as I sit on this +Res -Spd Clair...

I do not see how that is a bad nature. It is not his best nature, but it is pretty good.

I'm sure it's not bad. I just have never seen any set that DOESN'T use a +Atk nature and his default Brave Bow+ and Death Blow.

His skillset is perfect for an offensive nuking Bow, yeah, and I have +Atk -HP at 4*...

Brave Bows are better for nuking and Guard Bows are better for tanking. Brave Bow archers can run Slaying Bow, but they will be less effective in my opinion. I think archer tanks are just better off with Guard Bow rather using another weapon.

So then... what is my 5* Leon gonna be? Guard 3 fodder? I'd merge him into my current Leon, but that'd just result in +1 to Speed and Defense...

Firesweep Bow trades its nuking power for the ability to shut down counter attacks. BH!Lyn does not need a full pony team to utilize her offensive builds well, she just needs another cavalry partner. She is not going to be as powerful without a Brave Bow, but she can pick on everyone with impunity and even shut down raven mages when given Cancel Affinity.

I'm not comfortable giving my Brave Lyn a Brave bow when her Attack is neutral (+Res -HP)... I dunno, I might just have to hold onto Faye for a while...

+Atk nature is good. Even support healers may want to run +Atk natures now since Attack helps boost their healing. Genny is still super slow though and she does not have access to movement buffs, so do not expect her to one round units much.

Dazzling Wrath is most accessible on her (I have a spare Genny so I'm not worried about that), and I consider having Gravity+ naturally a boon among Staves. That's what I was thinking anyways. Healing almost half a units health with Physic, which keeps her out of the fight if she needs to be kept out of it, is just a nice bonus on top of that.

Regardless, thanks for the answers. Now if only I could figure out why my 5* exclusive archers all have +Res -HP...

3 hours ago, XRay said:

I am not sure what you mean by BB.

Hana's best nature is +Atk in my opinion. +Spd is still good.

Hana +Spd -Res
Brave Sword, Luna
Player Phase 149:30:16
Player Phase [27/37HP] 153:38:4
Player Phase [Fury] 133:31:31

Hana +Spd -Res
Slaying Edge [Attack], Luna
Player Phase 161:18:16
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement]] 158:18:19
Player Phase [[Defense Refinement]] 157:9:29
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement], Fury] 153:4:38

Hana +Spd -Res
Wo Dao [Attack], Luna
Player Phase 164:18:13
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement]] 162:18:15
Player Phase [[Defense Refinement]] 162:9:24
Player Phase [[Speed Refinement], Fury] 159:4:32

I personally would not run Fury since it reduces her kill count. Fury does allow her to tank better, but I usually do not factor in a unit's tanking abilities if they are meant to be Player Phase units.

Oops, I meant to say BS for Brave Sword. Brain went on auto pilot when I typed BB.

Looking at these numbers, Wo Dao with Attack refinement gives the best results so I think I will go with that. But is there a particular reason why you have chosen Luna over Moonbow for the Wo Dao set? I would think that Wo Dao's +10 damage is better than Luna's extra 20% over Moonbow.

Edited by tobuShogi

Sheena users, what axe do you give her, and if refined, what path? I'm currently using her default Killer Axe+, but I want to hear what others have tried before investing stones/feathers.

Edited by Johann

5 hours ago, Xenomata said:

@XRay, you tackle these kind of questions a lot, don't you...? Nothing wrong with that, but it's almost like you are the leading authority on such.

...actually I'm a frequent asker of such questions to... hope it's not annoying... Anyways...

Reveal hidden contents

I suppose BST won't be affected by merges? I feel like I read about what you said before...

My highest Attack and Speed swords are the aformentioned Cain (+Spd -Res) and my +5 merge Elincia (+Spd -Res). Elincia has been built completely around her Amiti, while Cain is... still riding TA3 Brave Sword. So guess I know what I'll work on next...

My greatest worry is that -Atk Eldigan only has as much attack as a +Atk Eldigan before even one Fury 3 while +Spd with Fury 6 has 34 Speed, which is a little low and might not be easy to work skills around (Desperate Assault combo might be easy to trigger, though it's still a gimmick, and Vantage while easy I feel would be better suited for someone with DC).

Ah... almost seems more fitting to just merge Mae into my current Mae... again...

Ugh... they should have done a Skill refinery upgrade for Silver Lance... well I'll keep it in mind as I sit on this +Res -Spd Clair...

I'm sure it's not bad. I just have never seen any set that DOESN'T use a +Atk nature and his default Brave Bow+ and Death Blow.

His skillset is perfect for an offensive nuking Bow, yeah, and I have +Atk -HP at 4*...

So then... what is my 5* Leon gonna be? Guard 3 fodder? I'd merge him into my current Leon, but that'd just result in +1 to Speed and Defense...

I'm not comfortable giving my Brave Lyn a Brave bow when her Attack is neutral (+Res -HP)... I dunno, I might just have to hold onto Faye for a while...

Dazzling Wrath is most accessible on her (I have a spare Genny so I'm not worried about that), and I consider having Gravity+ naturally a boon among Staves. That's what I was thinking anyways. Healing almost half a units health with Physic, which keeps her out of the fight if she needs to be kept out of it, is just a nice bonus on top of that.

Regardless, thanks for the answers. Now if only I could figure out why my 5* exclusive archers all have +Res -HP...

I just like to mess with the calculator around a lot, especially when I am bored.

It is good to ask questions. It feels good to share my experience.

Regarding the BST scoring, more details are in this thread. You only factor in the base BST, so the BST without merges, skills, supports, etc.

-Atk is not great, but it is not too detrimental depending on how you use Eldigan. Since he is +Spd, he seems decent with Hone Cavalry buff for Player Phase offense and defense.

Mae is pretty good, or at least a +Spd one. I got mine to 4*+10 running normal Blárblade.

A +Spd Leon can run his default Slaying Bow pretty well. Obviously, a +Atk Leon with Brave Bow would nuke better, but if you just need something for Arena Assault, he can utilize his default bow fine. I guess if you have non-top tier archers that has a decent nature, you can give them Slaying Bow instead of Brave Bow.

If she is your only Faye, you can use her and get some Hero Merit Feathers out of it first.

2 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

Looking at these numbers, Wo Dao with Attack refinement gives the best results so I think I will go with that. But is there a particular reason why you have chosen Luna over Moonbow for the Wo Dao set? I would think that Wo Dao's +10 damage is better than Luna's extra 20% over Moonbow.

That is a typo. I think I had a brain fart and mistyped it as Luna. It should be Moonbow. I am pretty positive that I ran the Wo Dao set with Moonbow.

Edit: Something weird's happening to my matchup numbers, so disregard this post while I investigate.

Double Edit: Well, this is stupid, apparently Wrath occasionally bugs out on this calculator, always adding the 10 damage even at full hp. Just ignore my numbers. (Brave Sword gets the biggest benefit from this, because QB Moonbow procs during the first pair of hits, so its stats are inflated.)

15 hours ago, XRay said:

Lucina already prefers her Falchion over Brave Sword before version 2.0.0 and does even better with Slaying Edge/Wo Dao.

When did that happen? Wo Dao+ is the clear leader in terms of investment vs. returns, but Brave Sword is still quite comparable.

If Wo Dao+ is Reinhardt, then Brave Sword is Leo, and Slaying Edge is Cecilia.

Reinhardt starts the best and ends the best.

Leo starts the worst but gains the most from investment---in skills or buffs---ending up slightly below an equally invested Reinhardt once maxed out.

Cecilia starts second best but ends up the worst---because she scales worse than both Reinhardt and Leo.

Of course, all three end up in ridiculous places.

I think +Atk/-Res Lucina with Wo Dao+ with +5 hp, +1 MT, +3 speed, Moonbow, Quick Pulse, Wrath, L&D has around 176:5:9.

The same Lucina with Luna and Slaying Edge (+5 hp, +3 speed, since slaying already had 14 MT) has like 175:5:10.

The same Lucina with Brave Sword and Moonbow has 171:10:9.

This is where they start, mind.

After +3 all stats brave sword is 184:5:1.

Wo Dao+ is 178:5:7.

Slaying Edge is 178:5:7.

^ That's a link for the brave sword build---I messed up and didn't do separate builds for Wo Dao and Brave Sword, just adjusting the stats manually, unfortunately, meaning there's no easy link. [Edit: You'll have to tick down the Moonbow CD and add the buffs manually, apparently.]

Of course, this only looks good for brave sword because +3 all stats, Wrath, L&D, and Quick Pulse is a ridiculous amount of investment in a single unit. Wo Dao+ is basically strictly better than the other two at +4/+0/+4/+4 or worse, and remains decent even if you take away Wrath (Wo Dao loses like 5 wins, the other two lose like 10 or 15).

Falchion isn't even comparable to any of these, mostly because effectiveness vs. dragons doesn't matter when the only dragon that isn't ORKOd is Nowi, and that's because she OHKOs back---Wo Dao+ Lucina ORKOs TA-3 Nowi if Lucina had enough hp to survive. One matchup and 2 MT simply isn't comparable to 8 or 9 BST and the killer or Wo Dao effect.

8 MT and dragon effectiveness isn't worth Brave Sword's 3 skill slots worth of skills, either: Brash, Desperation, and the ability to gain another round of follow up attacks if the unit has decent bulk and ridiculous speed. (Which is Lucina in a nutshell, with 36 speed and 43/25 bulk.)

Edited by DehNutCase

55 minutes ago, bethany81707 said:

To the JP players: are Draw Back (the Assist skill) and Drag Back (the B slot passive) similarly named there?

• Draw Back is 引き寄せ (hiki-yose), "pull towards oneself".
  • Drag Back is 引き込み (hiki-komi), "pull in", i.e. forcibly.

For comparsion,

• Reposition is 引き戻し (hiki-modoshi), "pull back", i.e. "retrieve".
  • Pivot is 回り込み (mawari-komi), "go around".
  • Lunge is 切り込み (kiri-komi), "cut into".
  • Knock Back is 叩き込み (tataki-komi), "hit", i.e. "keep on hitting".

As much as the skill names have a lot of shared pieces, each of those is a full (compound) word in its own right and is interpreted as a whole instead of by their parts. Much in the same way that "ice cream" is interpreted in English as "ice cream" and not "ice" + "cream".

Edited by Ice Dragon

I'm trying to complete Lunatic Chain Challenge and Squad Assaults and I was wondering, for the reinforcement maps, if I come up with a tactic using the story map lunatic versions, will it work for the CC and SA versions, or are they just too different stat wise?

29 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I'm trying to complete Lunatic Chain Challenge and Squad Assaults and I was wondering, for the reinforcement maps, if I come up with a tactic using the story map lunatic versions, will it work for the CC and SA versions, or are they just too different stat wise?

The units of the CCs with 6 or 10 maps got higher stats than the units in the shorter CCs (3 and 5 maps). I don't know how they compare to the story maps. 

5 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

The units of the CCs with 6 or 10 maps got higher stats than the units in the shorter CCs (3 and 5 maps). I don't know how they compare to the story maps. 

Darn. How about Squad Assault? Are the stats too different in the maps there compared to their Lunatic story counterparts (talking about the ones that are already level 40 in story mode)

10 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Darn. How about Squad Assault? Are the stats too different in the maps there compared to their Lunatic story counterparts (talking about the ones that are already level 40 in story mode)

The wiki has all stats for each map listed, here an example for chapter 5-2. 

The stats get more boosted in this order: lunatic story map < chain challenge < double chain challenge < SA. 

/Edit: For example Marias stats: 

Spoiler
  • story map
    Level:    29
    HP:    29
    ATK:    29
    SPD:    26
    DEF:    13
    RES:    25
  • CC
    Level:    40+
    HP:    46
    ATK:    37
    SPD:    35
    DEF:    19
    RES:    32
  • double CC
    HP:    50
    ATK:    40
    SPD:    38
    DEF:    20
    RES:    35
  • Squad Assault
    HP:    53
    ATK:    43
    SPD:    41
    DEF:    22
    RES:    38

Edited by mampfoid

31 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

The wiki has all stats for each map listed, here an example for chapter 5-2. 

The stats get more boosted in this order: lunatic story map < chain challenge < double chain challenge < SA. 

Darn. There goes my idea for trying to work out how to do those annoying reinforcement maps without having to do all the ones before.

To Youtube! ^.^

Edited by Cute Chao

6 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

When did that happen? Wo Dao+ is the clear leader in terms of investment vs. returns, but Brave Sword is still quite comparable.

I should have been a little more specific, but the best unbuffed Lucina with Falchion is betterr than the best unbuffed Lucina with Brave Sword. I am also using Arctic Silver Fox's Calculator since Kagero Chart is a little buggy recently,. I am also referring to them before Version 2.0.0, so no Weapon Refinement.

Lucina +Spd -Res
Falchion, Moonbow
Life and Death, Swordbreaker
Player Phase 158:9:28
Player Phase [Attack +3] 168:9:18

Lucina +Atk, -Res
Brave Sword Luna
Player Phase 155:15:25
Player Phase [Attack +3] 165:13:17

Lucina +Spd -Res
Wo Dao, Moonbow
Player Phase 162:8:25
Player Phase [Attack +3] 169:9:17

Lucina +Spd -Res
Slaying Edge, Luna
Player Phase 158:8:29
Player Phase [Attack +3] 170:9:16

Right now, with Weapon Refinement, Wo Dao and Slaying Edge are clearly better with the stat boosts.

I do not like to recommend Brave Sword for Lucina since it is not always better than Falchion and not everyone uses the same buffs, so I do not want to assume they are going to use Eirika and Ephraim to buff their team especially if they are not using  Blade mages.

Edited by XRay

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Dragons above all.

Hmm, I guess especially with Lightning Breath? I don't have any 5*s with Lightning Breath yet, but I've been thinking about upgrading a!Tiki. (I don't have regular Nowi.)

1 hour ago, Othin said:

What characters would most benefit from Steady Breath?

Any infantry unit with DC and/or that also runs Steady Breath benefits from it. If they don’t *need* their A passive, as in they run generic options like Fury, they can get more use out of Steady Breath instead.