"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

6 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I know we don't know much about Kinshi Hinoka yet, but given just her base kit, is +Atk/-HP really her ideal set of IVs?

1 minute ago, mcsilas said:

Very close to it. I think +Spd is better but +Atk is her second best boon especially if you want to keep her armour-effective bow. She wants to deal with then ASAP before they can counter attack due to her poor defense.

-HP seems to be the best bane as you don’t get a superbane 

[+Atk, -Res] is the best nature for running Warrior Princess if your world consists of Distant Counter everywhere.

If your world doesn't consist of Distant Counter everywhere, [+Atk/Spd, -Def/HP] works better for running Ploy skills.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I try not to worry too much about Distant Counter, it's an expensive skill to have. I try to think in a little more general sense.

It doesn't cost you anything to run into enemies with Distant Counter, though.

And with so many top-tier units now having weapons with built-in Distant Counter, it's hard not to run into them.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It doesn't cost you anything to run into enemies with Distant Counter, though.

And with so many top-tier units now having weapons with built-in Distant Counter, it's hard not to run into them.

Even so, I tend to think general. If +Atk/-HP is pretty ideal, then I'll use that as the base IVs for merging. Otherwise, I'll use a more ideal set once I get it in the future.

1 minute ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Even so, I tend to think general.

It really depends on your definition of "general", though.

If you mean just PvE content, then sure, you don't see Distant Counter very often.

The moment you try to take Arena into account, that all flies out the window depending on your score range. "General" for me means Zelgius, Hardin, and Grima are high in priority because surviving them means you pretty much survive everything else.

And taking superbanes into account means you're taking Arena into account because they literally don't matter anywhere outside of the Arena.

That pun was totally intended. I swear.

9 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Even so, I tend to think general. If +Atk/-HP is pretty ideal, then I'll use that as the base IVs for merging. Otherwise, I'll use a more ideal set once I get it in the future.

Good choice considering she will not lose you any Arena points, unlike -Def/Res.

I am assuming u are going to give her firesweep.

Edited by Clogon

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

Surely slapping Aether on Matthew/Nino and a double rally or two would fix that, no? Maybe the Heavy Blade 3 seal on her also since that's an extra point or two? Blessing teams aren't an option for me at the highest level since I can't whale for more copies of a legendary hero and a +0-1 Legendary would tank my score.

Either way, I do have plans for future +10's so maybe I'll aim for higher BST ones. Donnel actually is a *4 +10 in progress and I'm sure he'd be better for magic tanking with the BL+ build, it was between him and Lukas for my *5 +10 however and I chose Lukas. 

When I do my 1 run of AA per week to get a high score, all of my units get max scoring skills swapped in like Aether/galeforce and dual rallies and all of their other skills are 240 SP (DC on Caeda and Amelia). So having Matthew and Ninos lower BST will most certainly prevent you from getting into the top 1000 in AA unless you got all 7 battles to have the upper score ranges.

As far as I know, the way skills effect Arena score, is every 100 SP brings up a character's value by 1 point.

Yeah, I decided to build Lukas because I pulled a +Def/-Res copy and I really liked the idea of a physically invincible unit. In hindsight, Donnel would have been the better long term investment. My problem was that I always looked at him with a Brave Lance build and I never to another look at him after refinements were introduced.

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

Proc-ing Bonfire twice is enticing actually. I would go with that if I go the SB route on him. Drive SPD is better for points but Nino wants buffs for her tome. I'll send you a request before the day is out I think. You'll know my Matthew when you see him.

Bonfire is kind of the point with the SB build. Every single one of his attacks is a Bonfire. My build allows him to take out all of the top tier melee threats except for Green dragons and some of the lesser used builds for the high Atk green armors. On a fort tile with rally and spur support, Bold fighter Green Grima, TA Fae , and Myrrh with enough Spd to double are the only melee attackers who can kill him. Having Chrom on your team will be a very nice answer to the Green dragons.

Still waiting on that friend request. My ID is down below.

Hey, with all of this Warrior Princess talk, would Windsweep/Watersweep help her out at all?

Edited by Hawk King

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

General takes both PvE and PvP into account. I think too many people try to make this too complicated lol. If -Def is a better bane then -HP then I don't need a long explanation about why, I just need to know if it is or not.

• -HP gives you 0.5 more points per match in Arena scoring compared to the other two. That's it's only merit.
  • -Def gives her a better chance to land Ploy skills (29 Res isn't terrible) and lets her tank magic better, but makes her extremely weak to physical hits and dragons.
  • -Res gives her just enough bulk to survive almost every physical and dragon counterattack after a Fortify Fliers buff (as long as they aren't running Dull Ranged), but makes her more vulnerable to tomes.

1 hour ago, Hawk King said:

Hey, with all of this Warrior Princess talk, would Windsweep/Watersweep help her out at all?

You're probably better off just running Desperation at that point.

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Are you forced to make use of both Distant Counter and Steady Breath?

Not necessarily, but in the case of this particular team, if I were to run one of them with SB and the other with a filler skill, not only am I limiting my ability to bait/counter ranged units to Matthew/Nino but I'm overlapping roles to the point of redundancy and one unit is just going to be an inferior version of the other.

Assuming +0 and =DEF which is what I'll have most likely.

• With SB on Chrom (w/Falchion refine), he's reaching 45 DEF and has a ceiling of 48-54 depending on the buffs.
  • With SB on Lukas, he's reaching 52 DEF naturally and has a ceiling of 55-61 depending on the buffs.

Chrom's bulk is inferior to Lukas and he cannot dual Bonfire his enemies, but he heals passively and doubles as a Dragonslayer of all colors. If I give SB to Chrom and don't give Lukas a DC BL+ build, his role on the team is redundant, if I came into another SB fodder and gave it to Lukas, that would make Chrom's role on the team redundant and make my team susceptible to kiting and other manners of unfun dealings from 2-range. If I were to give SB to Lukas, how would I build Chrom if he's not running DC?

8 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

@Zeo Somewhat late reply here, between work and having to update my simulator before doing anything on this...I'd personally lean toward the DC Chrom/SB Lukas option, and second (or whatever number I am now, if we're going to be technical about it) the suggestion to run Bonfire over Ignis for the latter.

Some things I noticed while running numbers (+10 Chrom/Lukas vs +10 enemies):

• DC Chrom's Enemy Phase matchups against non-blue dragons aren't all that bad. I ran them against enemies with Steady Breath/Quick Riposte and +3/3/6/6 buffs. He avoids getting doubled by Def-stacking ones and OHKOs Spd-stacking ones (I see a lot more of the former, but I have seen some of the latter here and there).
    • DC Chrom's Player Phase matchups against the same set of enemies/conditions are a lot dicier without an adjacent ally to get him the Falchion combat buffs, but the greens are safe unless 2+ Ward stacks are in the picture.
    • I'm not really seeing how using DC over Steady Breath cripples his dragon matchups, tbh, especially if you're running Steady Breath/Aether. Aether won't activate unless the dragon doubles him, and most dragons that manage to get off 2 hits on him will KO him.
    • Blue dragons should be handled by Nino.
  • Steady Breath Lukas is very solid, as expected.
    • I was interested to see that +10, +Atk/-Res, Steady Breath, Bold Fighter 3, +3/3/3/3 buffed Zelgius was OHKO'd by Lukas' first Bonfire activation (I gave Lukas Def/Res+3 in combat buffs for Nino's Spur Def/Res). Fortify Armor and Ward Armor do exist and would save him by varying amounts if they're active (he'd die to Lukas' second attack, but not before getting Black Luna off).
    • I think I saw a mention of Guard/QR seal somewhere...that's worth looking into if you're worried about Bold Fighter and/or enemies that depend on getting a special activation.

Upon inspection you may be right, for dragons in particular his role doesn't change all that much. He's still an unreliable DC unit though. He can safely kill green mages on the counter, but red mages depending on their speed/bulk will still 2HKO him which regulates him to greens and archers. Then like I said before, if I give him something other than DC (Like Fire Boost 3) I'm hurting my team's ability to fight range. Baiting range with Matthew is iffy because he can't activate buffs that way and Nino is squishy. DC Chrom can't bait like DC Lukas can. 

If we're being honest, Lukas is superior to Chrom in both the DC and SB roles, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself that SB Chrom isn't superior to DC Chrom. What about the numbers for SB Chrom and DC Lukas?

7 hours ago, Hawk King said:

When I do my 1 run of AA per week to get a high score, all of my units get max scoring skills swapped in like Aether/galeforce and dual rallies and all of their other skills are 240 SP (DC on Caeda and Amelia). So having Matthew and Ninos lower BST will most certainly prevent you from getting into the top 1000 in AA unless you got all 7 battles to have the upper score ranges.

As far as I know, the way skills effect Arena score, is every 100 SP brings up a character's value by 1 point.

Then I won't worry about that for now. The first step is getting that high in rank in the first place. 

Yeah, I decided to build Lukas because I pulled a +Def/-Res copy and I really liked the idea of a physically invincible unit. In hindsight, Donnel would have been the better long term investment. My problem was that I always looked at him with a Brave Lance build and I never to another look at him after refinements were introduced.

Based on his stats alone, Donnel is the superior mixed tank. He runs Berkut's Lance+ beautifully and can still run the SB set if he wants to, yet when I ran the numbers between both Donnel and Lukas for the DC BL+ build, Lukas outperformed him. I still have trouble understanding why but I did. Despite that, I know Donnel is a more sound choice based on logic, but I like Lukas more and that factors in, inefficiency and all. Had I not pulled a *5 Lukas in the first 2 months of playing, I'd probably have picked Donnel as my *5 +10 lance of choice.

Bonfire is kind of the point with the SB build. Every single one of his attacks is a Bonfire. My build allows him to take out all of the top tier melee threats except for Green dragons and some of the lesser used builds for the high Atk green armors. On a fort tile with rally and spur support, Bold fighter Green Grima, TA Fae , and Myrrh with enough Spd to double are the only melee attackers who can kill him. Having Chrom on your team will be a very nice answer to the Green dragons.

This has me really conflicted now.. I was leaning towards the SB Chrom and DC Lukas builds but now I'm not sure. This is a big decision. One that has me wondering if I'd just run SB on them both if I had 2 fodders. The idea of not being able to bait ranged units is wretching however... 

2 hours ago, Zeo said:

This has me really conflicted now.. I was leaning towards the SB Chrom and DC Lukas builds but now I'm not sure. This is a big decision. One that has me wondering if I'd just run SB on them both if I had 2 fodders. The idea of not being able to bait ranged units is wretching however... 

You do have Matthew and Nino for baiting ranged units...

And honestly, The only ranged units I see in the +10 meta is like an 70/20/10 split of Winter Tharja/Halloween Jakob/Holloween Henry. Or the occasional Micaiah on a team that is utilizing blessings for that week. Now, with you running Nino and Matthew you will be in a slightly lower score range (like 4-6 points) so idk if there will be more ranged units in that range.

@Ice Dragon - How often do you see ranged units when you run a full team of 170+ BST armors decked out with high SP cost skills?

36 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

Due to a pitybreaker on the WoF banner, I know have available Vengful Fighter fodder. Should I merge this new Grima into my old one , or give BK Vengful Fighter?

Depends on how often you use FH!M!Robin and Black Knight. I would merge if you use FH!M!Robin more, or give Vengeful Fighter to Black Knight if you use Black Knight more. If you use both about the same, then I would prioritize giving Black Knight Vengeful Fighter if he does not already have Quick Riposte.

If you use both equally and Black Knight already got Quick Riposte, then you have to decide between upgrading Quick Riposte and giving FH!M!Robin more stats. I do not have a recommendation for either since lowering the HP threshold a bit and having a little more stats/score are both about the same in my opinion.

@Zeo

I'm thinking you have options like Steady Breath on Lukas with one of Fierce Stance, Death Blow, Atk/Def Bond, Atk/Res Bond, etc. on Chrom or vice versa.

As for redundancy, I don't see how that is a problem in the Arena. Being doubly prepared for something is best way to make sure you don't get brute forced through by a team using all of the same thing.

As for ranged units, how much of a problem is it for your team if only Matthew and Nino are able to bait?

I'm still leaning towards giving Chrom Distant Counter and Lukas Steady Breath, but saying that the only options are to give one to one of them them and the other to the other with no other choices is limiting your options.

2 hours ago, Hawk King said:

How often do you see ranged units when you run a full team of 170+ BST armors decked out with high SP cost skills?

Winter Tharja and Valentine Lyn appear occasionally. I used to see Halloween Jakob a bit, but not really anymore, though I don't really know why.

There's that one team with Mist in it for whatever reason. Gunnthra appears occasionally during wind season.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:02 AM, Zeo said:

So the feathers are coming in like clockwork, Matthew and Nino are both reaching the latter half of their +10 journeys, Steady Breath has come in and it's very much time to start thinking about what I want to do with the 3rd and 4th members of my final four. Each of these units will fulfill a certain role and leave the remaining available role to the other, which makes this really important. Tagging @Ice Dragon @Astellius @LordFrigid @Hawk King and @Hilda for guru-like wisdom and @NegativeExponents- @mampfoid and @mcsilas for insight. Anyone else is welcome to chime in as well.

I'm a bit late to the party, but so it goes. In any case, I'd keep in mind that, in the Arena, you're not going to be running these 4 units, seeing as you have to drag along a bonus hero. I think the best configuration of 3 out of those 4 is Nino, Lukas, and Chrom. So I think that should be something you should consider.

As for the builds, I know I'd probably go with SB Lukas. He'd occupy this role extremely well. With it, he should take no damage from red melees, minimal damage from blues, and should be able to tank pretty much all greens. This means that he can pretty much withstand several physical enemies, and can, in some cases, just solo the entire enemy team.

I'd prefer the DC to go to Chrom, because, honestly, neither of them are going to be spectacular at being mage tanks. They're both slow (so they're just going to be doubled), and have a low starting Res. Either build of Chrom is going to be great at handling the red and green dragons (I'd just leave Nino to destroy the blue ones), so that doesn't really factor in, and either build of Chrom is going to be just fine at tanking axes. When it comes to being mage tanks, both Chrom and Lukas are going to be sustaining heavy damage on the encounters they survive, so it's problematic if you need them to take on more than one mage. Chrom has an advantage in this role, since he has Falchion to sustain him. I'd consider running a build with DC, R. Tomebreaker, and QR on Chrom (+Atk/-Spd would be best, not -Res). I did some simulations with that, he should be able to counter all the red and green mages (with the exception of Swordbreaker reds), even if they're heavily buffed, while still being pretty good at taking on bows and shurikens. Neither Lukas or Chrom can counter when Brave Lyn attacks, so she'll still be a pain, but Lukas can easily be bait for her.

That's my input, at any rate. I prefer the SB Lukas and DC Chrom setup, although I think either would be good. That should cover most of your bases, although Brave Lyn will still be a nuisance. Also, Priscilla will still be an asshole, but there's just no way around that at this point. Do they ALL need to run Pain+ and Savage Blow x2?

20 hours ago, Zeo said:

The thing about that though is that regulates Chrom to DC

*Relegates. =P

Edited by Astellius

10 hours ago, Zeo said:

Chrom's bulk is inferior to Lukas and he cannot dual Bonfire his enemies, but he heals passively and doubles as a Dragonslayer of all colors. If I give SB to Chrom and don't give Lukas a DC BL+ build, his role on the team is redundant, if I came into another SB fodder and gave it to Lukas, that would make Chrom's role on the team redundant and make my team susceptible to kiting and other manners of unfun dealings from 2-range. If I were to give SB to Lukas, how would I build Chrom if he's not running DC?

I think you need to define what role(s) you want each member of your team to do.  I think Lukas will be able to bait physical units far better than anyone else, and no one on your team can replicate Chrom's dragonslaying niche (especially with Falchion's forge effect).

From there, you can decide what to give them.

@Zeo You can build Lukas to be similar to my Shiro but you can choose his special between Aether for sustain or Ignis for insta-kill. Up to your preference. You may consider Guard 3 in B slot and switch Seal to QR so he will be safe from Bold Fighter users.

Nino Gronblade+ can be switch to something else like Gronowl+ or Gronwolf+ because at higher arena tier you will face a lot of Panic Ploy users and it will cripple her a lot. 

I personally not recommend to hand DC to Chrome for general reason. DC will be more useful on someone else who can tank both physical and magical side. Chrome is a bad choice for DC because he can't even handle green mage very well with it. Otherwise, he can tank 1 hit and one-shot back before he take second magical hit (from green mages who can double him).

For example: Some underrated unit like Seliph can be better DC user because his Sword give him enough magic resistance with his mid-tier 30 def to survive both side. Maybe, you don't have to sacrifice any Hector at all if you will consider to build +10 Adult Tiki who can survive Divine Naga if build correctly. Also can counter Brave Lyn too which is important. Normal Roy is another better Red DC user who can slay dragon for you too.

Edited by Ginko

8 hours ago, Hawk King said:

You do have Matthew and Nino for baiting ranged units...

And honestly, The only ranged units I see in the +10 meta is like an 70/20/10 split of Winter Tharja/Halloween Jakob/Holloween Henry. Or the occasional Micaiah on a team that is utilizing blessings for that week. Now, with you running Nino and Matthew you will be in a slightly lower score range (like 4-6 points) so idk if there will be more ranged units in that range.

Nino can't bait reds and Matthew is crippled by magic if he doesn't have his buffs up. I'm glad you brought up WE!Tharja as she is a primary example of one of my teams biggest counters. Nino can't kill her, she counter-kills Matthew (depending on her build) and Chrom and Lukas both being enemy phase physicals can't kill her on player phase but rather are killed themselves. The only real solution to her is either DC Lukas or DC Chrom. She's only one unit, but it's still a primary reason why DC is important on at least one of them. 

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

@Zeo

I'm thinking you have options like Steady Breath on Lukas with one of Fierce Stance, Death Blow, Atk/Def Bond, Atk/Res Bond, etc. on Chrom or vice versa.

As for redundancy, I don't see how that is a problem in the Arena. Being doubly prepared for something is best way to make sure you don't get brute forced through by a team using all of the same thing.

As for ranged units, how much of a problem is it for your team if only Matthew and Nino are able to bait?

I'm still leaning towards giving Chrom Distant Counter and Lukas Steady Breath, but saying that the only options are to give one to one of them them and the other to the other with no other choices is limiting your options.

If I were to give Chrom something other than DC, (specifically) my options would be Fire Boost 3, ATK/DEF Bond, Steady Stance 3 and of course Distant Counter. Out of all these ATK/DEF Bond and DC are probably the best options. Fire Boost is fun but it's worthless after Chrom's first round of combat since he can't Proc Aether to heal without SB or clogging up the Heavy Blade seal. ATK/DEF Bond sacrifices the +1 cooldown for an extra point of DEF and 5 more ATK which is great but Lukas has a monopoly on the Close DEF seal and this more or less just makes Chrom a 2nd tier physical tank with a dragon slaying niche.

I know what you said about redundancy but when you've gotten Lukas to the point of invulnerability (especially with Matthew/Nino support) vs physical units and Chrom's not running DC, depending on the team composition you're either fighting 1. physical units (which Lukas solos while Chrom does virtually nothing) 2. Ranged units (which Chrom and Lukas can do nothing against unless they are physical so Matthew and Nino essentially have to carry the team) or dragons (the only scenario Chrom is active in). With SB Chrom and DC Lukas, Lukas can fight any magic threat except green and Chrom can tank physical units, not to Lukas' caliber but the team is less extreme and more rounded out as a whole.

As for baiting. Matthew wants to attack and be able to survive to debuff units and bulk up his team, in arena basically everyone runs DC so he can only do this once there. He loses the ability to do this if he baits ranged because 9 times out of 10 it's going to be magic which ruins him if he's not buffed or running DD3 seal so after that encounter he's done being able to operate safely. Then we factor in that if Nino can't bait, Matthew has to and if there is a WoM unit on the team Matt is likely going to be finished off by that unit as the +6 to bulk from Rogue Dagger+ (or even the additional +3 from Nino if she's there) is likely not going to be enough to survive an additional attack from what's likely an optimized merged arena unit with what HP Matt has left.

With DC Chrom, physical and green ranged units are non issues, with DC Lukas, red, blue and physical ranged units are non issues, with neither we play touch and go with Matthew/Nino and depending on the team comp (WoM, Dancers, Reposition) this can go from dicey to impossible. Now, at the higher levels (everyone +9 or +10 in AA or one of my team members as a bonus unit in arena) we could potentially see less ranged units but considering I myself will have 2 of them, I'll be paired against other teams in my score category which will likely have them as well. This doesn't help me make a decision as to who I would give DC to, but it's more or less stressing the argument that DC is important on this team. That and without it, i have literally no counter to W!Tharja.

I still don't like the idea of giving yet another red DC when I have more DC of that color than anything, but this doesn't factor in to my decision. At least right now.

3 hours ago, Astellius said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but so it goes. In any case, I'd keep in mind that, in the Arena, you're not going to be running these 4 units, seeing as you have to drag along a bonus hero. I think the best configuration of 3 out of those 4 is Nino, Lukas, and Chrom. So I think that should be something you should consider.

At +10 with their respective builds, Matthew is worth 2 more points than Nino and he's probably the funnest character in my barracks right now. Not factoring in bias or ease of stage clearing, it's probably more optimal to bring him. If I'm lazy though, then yeah you're probably right.

As for the builds, I know I'd probably go with SB Lukas. He'd occupy this role extremely well. With it, he should take no damage from red melees, minimal damage from blues, and should be able to tank pretty much all greens. This means that he can pretty much withstand several physical enemies, and can, in some cases, just solo the entire enemy team.

This is what I was doing when I first got him after I gave him QR and Ignis and I'd love to be able to do it again. But it leaves me conflicted because I've been eyeing Steady Breath for Chrom since I first started building him. It's only now that I'm having second thoughts.

I'd prefer the DC to go to Chrom, because, honestly, neither of them are going to be spectacular at being mage tanks. They're both slow (so they're just going to be doubled), and have a low starting Res. Either build of Chrom is going to be great at handling the red and green dragons (I'd just leave Nino to destroy the blue ones), so that doesn't really factor in, and either build of Chrom is going to be just fine at tanking axes. When it comes to being mage tanks, both Chrom and Lukas are going to be sustaining heavy damage on the encounters they survive, so it's problematic if you need them to take on more than one mage. Chrom has an advantage in this role, since he has Falchion to sustain him. I'd consider running a build with DC, R. Tomebreaker, and QR on Chrom (+Atk/-Spd would be best, not -Res). I did some simulations with that, he should be able to counter all the red and green mages (with the exception of Swordbreaker reds), even if they're heavily buffed, while still being pretty good at taking on bows and shurikens. Neither Lukas or Chrom can counter when Brave Lyn attacks, so she'll still be a pain, but Lukas can easily be bait for her.

That's my input, at any rate. I prefer the SB Lukas and DC Chrom setup, although I think either would be good. That should cover most of your bases, although Brave Lyn will still be a nuisance. Also, Priscilla will still be an asshole, but there's just no way around that at this point. Do they ALL need to run Pain+ and Savage Blow x2?

My personal desire to give Chrom SB aside, it's not even about who necessarily edges eachother out in the role but about the overall balance of the team. Chrom with Lukas' build can tank physical units almost as well as he can with 45 DEF vs Lukas 52 but with built in Aether and natural healing. For Lukas, he can't heal like Chrom can, but he becomes a mixed tank with bulk for both stats in the upper 30s. I hate the idea of giving DC to a red unit when I already have 4 of them but only 1 blue and green, but that doesn't even matter here. The question for is what setup rounds out the team best? I can't help but feeling like DC Lukas and SB Chrom put in similar amounts of work but that SB Lukas and DC Chrom turns the latter into a second string unit. At best he's filling a small niche (with DC), at worst he's literally a worse Lukas + dragon slaying (no DC or SB).

*Relegates. =P

Ha! Thanks for that, I've probably been typing that wrong for a long time...

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

@Zeo You can build Lukas to be similar to my Shiro but you can choose his special between Aether for sustain or Ignis for insta-kill. Up to your preference. You may consider Guard 3 in B slot and switch Seal to QR so he will be safe from Bold Fighter users.

Nino Gronblade+ can be switch to something else like Gronowl+ or Gronwolf+ because at higher arena tier you will face a lot of Panic Ploy users and it will cripple her a lot. 

I personally not recommend to hand DC to Chrome for general reason. DC will be more useful on someone else who can tank both physical and magical side. Chrome is a bad choice for DC because he can't even handle green mage very well with it. Otherwise, he can tank 1 hit and one-shot back before he take second magical hit (from green mages who can double him).

For example: Some underrated unit like Seliph can be better DC user because his Sword give him enough magic resistance with his mid-tier 30 def to survive both side. Maybe, you don't have to sacrifice any Hector at all if you will consider to build +10 Adult Tiki who can survive Divine Naga if build correctly. Also can counter Brave Lyn too which is important. Normal Roy is another better Red DC user and can slay dragon for you too.

I wouldn't put DC on Chrom for general purposes, it would only be for the utility of this particular team, which is why I'm so conflicted about doing it as there are other units, even reds that would run DC better (Like Eirika who also wants DC and I only have 2 fodders.) I see a lot of Gronnowl Ninos actually in +10 arena from videos and the like, didn't realize that was why though. Roy is a better DC unit altogether. With his refine and DC he'd have DC, Close/Distant Def 2 and QR5 with his B skill free to run anything from Renewal to Wrath to Vantage to Guard. He's amazing, but I've already chosen Chrom and I don't have a Roy to my name. Thinking about him however only makes me want to give Chrom DC even less. Perhaps it would be best to swallow a pill and regulate Chrom to Fire Boost or a Bond A skill and simply save my DC fodder for someone who would use it better. Even if things are a bit harder in arena.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

I think you need to define what role(s) you want each member of your team to do.  I think Lukas will be able to bait physical units far better than anyone else, and no one on your team can replicate Chrom's dragonslaying niche (especially with Falchion's forge effect).

From there, you can decide what to give them.

As simple as this is, it's given me some of the most clarity. I'm going to sit on my fodder a while longer and think about it. Perhaps I should throw optimization to the wind in favor of team balance with SB Chrom and DC Lukas, perhaps I should abandon the idea of DC Chrom and go for SB Lukas and either re-evaluate Chrom or simply wait for another breath. My mind is in too many places however. When I make a decision I know what I want, otherwise I regret it. And I don't know what I want right now. So I'm going to wait.

@Zeo I added you. I just realized that I left Aether on Lukas from when I did my AA run. He is back to having Bonfire.

Like Ice said, Chrom could run a Bond skill, Deathblow, or Fierce Stance if his main role is to 1-shot dragons.

Something I just thought of is that Blade tomes can't be forged and therefore score lower. A forged Gronowl on Nino would probably be better for her in the long run. This would also allow you to run the safer and more reliable spurs and drives instead of being limited to buffs for Nino's bonus damage. Another added benefit is that Drives score better in the Arena.

4 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Nino can't bait reds and Matthew is crippled by magic if he doesn't have his buffs up. I'm glad you brought up WE!Tharja as she is a primary example of one of my teams biggest counters. Nino can't kill her, she counter-kills Matthew (depending on her build) and Chrom and Lukas both being enemy phase physicals can't kill her on player phase but rather are killed themselves. The only real solution to her is either DC Lukas or DC Chrom. She's only one unit, but it's still a primary reason why DC is important on at least one of them. 

Great thing about her is that she is so slow that she can only double Lukas with Bold fighter, and even then she won't be able to kill him with 2 hits. She will charge his Bonfire and then promptly die on the following Player phase. Lukas can actually tank red mages due to WTA and his high HP.

10 minutes ago, Zeo said:

My personal desire to give Chrom SB aside, it's not even about who necessarily edges eachother out in the role but about the overall balance of the team.

This is what is holding you back I think. You are looking at each unit as part of your specific 4-unit team. You should make each unit their absolute best version as an individual unit. Then you slot them into a 4-unit team based on your needs. Nino, Matthew, Chrom, and Lukas are not going to be your final and only team for your remainder of your time playing Heroes. Just because you only have 1 SB fodder now doesn't mean you won't get more later on down the road.

Having role overlap isn't a bad thing either. It allows you to swap out certain units without having a massive void left by their absence. My AA team is Caeda, Nowi, Lukas, and Amelia. For normal Arena, I drop Amelia and I am currently running Ephraim right now. You would think that running 3 blues would be suicide with all of the super powerful greens out there but Caeda is more than enough to handle all of them, which allows for Nowi and Lukas to laugh at every other unit in the game. Ephraim is only there because he is +2.

I hate to repost, but this appears to have been buried on the last page. I got a -atk +res hinoka. Can I salvage her (FYI, i don't have any fayes so firesweep bow is out)? Maybe warier princess/death blow (no copies of swift sparrow, and she needs every point of atk anyway)/def tactic? Alternatives include drive  stacking, or foddering her to the multiple people who want one of her skills (although i don't like doing that unless she is unsalvagable)

39 minutes ago, sirmola said:

I hate to repost, but this appears to have been buried on the last page. I got a -atk +res hinoka. Can I salvage her (FYI, i don't have any fayes so firesweep bow is out)? Maybe warier princess/death blow (no copies of swift sparrow, and she needs every point of atk anyway)/def tactic? Alternatives include drive  stacking, or foddering her to the multiple people who want one of her skills (although i don't like doing that unless she is unsalvagable)

You can run Def Ploy to salvage her Atk, although you need to line up the enemies properly first. You can also run Fury to help her get into Desperation range and further increase her Res to make Def Ploy apply to more enemies.

47 minutes ago, sirmola said:

Depends on how you're defining "unsalvageable", and what you're planning on using her for. She seems to do well enough with Flier support, so if you have a Flier team (using Hone, Goad, or both), you should be able to slot her into it pretty easily.

You'll probably want to replace Flier Formation with Desperation, since she'll be hard-pressed to OHKO with -Atk, even with Flier support. Atk/Spd Bond gives her the best results, but if you're not comfortable using Atk/Spd Bond (especially without Flier Formation to help ensure it), Death Blow or Fury both work well; Fury will help more against Spd-stacking enemies. You should be able to switch Flier Guidance to Goad Fliers without much consequence if you want/need to; Fliers are pretty mobile on their own.

1 hour ago, sirmola said:

Run Warrior Princess, Death Blow, and Def Ploy, and put her on a team with Hone Fliers or Goad Fliers support. Fury and Desperation are also an option.