"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity to the Tharja glitch, how does the battle proceed once she’s gone? Is it just treated as her dying in battle? Edit: never mind didn’t see the video that got posted 

@Zeo @mampfoid @mcsilas @Rafiel's Aria and anyone else who might be interested.

Now for my actual dilemma. I want a red mage for general purposes. The three I already have are Sanaki, Witch Nowi, and Bikini Tharja, but I’m not interested in building Sanaki and the other two don’t see much use from me outside of emblem teams.

So I have 5 mages I’m interested in building but not sure which to promote and build. Hoping someone will convince me as to which one it should be.

My options are:

1. Lilina +atk/-hp
  2. Raigh +spd/-hp
  3. Sophia +atk/-spd
  4. Julius
  5. Arvis

A build idea for Raigh not involving owl tome would be nice too because who knows when I’ll get a Katarina.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

@NegativeExponents- Out of the 5 mages you mentioned, I played Arvis and Lilina most, Sophia only at 4*. 

• Arvis is pretty much the incarnation of a "general purpose mage". With Fury and Reciprocal Aid/Ardent Sacrifice he can kill, ploy and heal pretty decent. 
  • Lilina with Death Blow 3 and special refinement is specialized in one hit kills and excels in this discipline. She does this job better than everyone else and
  • Sophia, who prefers a raven- or owl tome. 
  • Raigh can be merged easily and his SPD stat is good, but there are better candidates for blade tomes (i.e. Tharja#1, Tharja#3, Eirika, Nowi, Katarina). 

I can't say much about Julius, since I didn't promote him. He seems more specialized in ploys and RES tanking than Arvis, at the cost of SPD and Recover Ring. 

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

By the way @Ginko, I failed to notice a little something... important.

+Atk Bride Ninian actually has the same amount of Atk as -Atk FeMorgan, which is my own FeMorgans nature...

While FeMorgan does slight better thanks to better Res bulk, they are otherwise the same unit offensively. So...

I'm not saying "Screw Fresh Bouquet I'm going Blarblade", but it's certainly a tempting offer again...

Have you watch my GHB: Julius yet? I run Blarblade on PA!Shigure. It's not that he is good with it. But he don't have any other choice that is "better" than a Blarblade. He is so frail to use Blarraven or Blarowl+.

He is very busy to dance and reposition other units. Rather than he can attack that much.

The same thing will apply to your flying Ninian as well. She will be busy dancing other people as well. 3 things that she can out perform Shigure is...

1.Fresh Bouquet make her a great buffer without sacrifice B slot. Shigure has Geyser dance but that only apply after dancing.

2. Ninian has better movement, she can go anywhere she want.

3. In case she want to run Blarblade. She will do better than Shigure as well because she can gain 6/6/6/6 buff from her fliers teammates. Shigure must be in Tactics team to be good, which is quite hard to set up.

The thing is Fresh Bouquet is too good to ignore it.

Edited by Ginko

@NegativeExponents-Bikini Tharja already takes care of the defensive mage role, so the likes of Sophia and Julius are probably a lesser priority because of it. I love my 4* merge Sophia as a Raven counter but that can be done cheap, I don't think it's worth investing too much in her until you're done with other options.

Can't say too much about Arvis, I'm usually too lazy to use ploy-based strategies so I'm all about the killing. And killing is Lilina's specialty. With the recent addition of refined Forblaze, she's certainly left Sanaki in the dust for most purposes. In terms of firepower the only competition is probably fully-buffed Raudrblade+ Tharja, ideally in Bridal form, and perhaps Nowi and Eirika with fully buffed Bladetomes.

I like to pretend Raigh doesn't exist. Wait for a Morgan to pop up instead if you want another mage to build.

@NegativeExponents- I’ve promoted both Arvis and Raigh of those you have listed. And I like using both. Arvis and his ploys synergize well with Gunnthra, but outside of that, he can be valuable as a healer. And offensively he’s not bad either. If you want a straight up nuke, Lilina is better, but I like having flexible team members. 

I actually like Raigh because I’ve made him flexible. Mine’s +SPD -DEF with a -blade build. But I’ve also fully upgraded his -wolf tome. He does pretty good against greens and reds with Swordbreaker. So he can be a “nuke” or horse counter. People always say don’t use him because others are better. If you like Tharja use her. She’s a great unit. But I don’t, so I use him instead. +SPD Raigh is just 2 points slower than neutral Tharja and has the same ATK. He’s got better RES but less DEF and HP. With Fury, Raigh could run ploys which is pretty neat. Is he the best? Naw. But he gets the job done. And you can build him to do whatever you want him to do really (within reason).

6 hours ago, Sias said:

+Spd/-Atk vs +Def/-Res Brave Roy?

+Spd. Roy's first priority is to double. Activating Heavy Blade is second to that.

6 hours ago, Sias said:

Do you prefer Alm's full offense (Death Blow+Windsweep) or healer (Fury+Renewal) build?

Death Blow + Cancel Affinity. Dead enemies cannot counterattack regardless, so Windsweep is unnecessary.

6 hours ago, Sias said:

Is there some way to make good use of the Fujin Yumi's special refine? It seems kind of underwhelming imo.

Use it to be annoying in an Arena defense team. The extra mobility also might help a bit in Grand Conquest (I notice my Nowi's Grimoire and Elincia's Flier Formation get a ton of usage there).

I was bothered by the words Paralogue and Xenologue. I though it's some term similar to Prologue and Epilogue that I haven't heard before, but I googled it and found this:

Paralogue: (genomics) a pair of genes that derives from the same ancestral gene and now reside at different locations within the same genome.

Xenologue: (genetics) A type of ortholog where the homologous sequences are found in different species because of horizontal gene transfer.

What were they thinking?

6 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

What were they thinking?

These are the terms they have been using since Awakening. Paralogue is supposed to mean “side story”, “story going in parallel with the main”, and xenologue is supposed to mean “off-story”, “story, not interacting with the main”. So yeah, sounding similar to prologue and epilogue is intended.

Paralogues are the gaidens of the yore, and xenologues are usually DLC.

Edited by Vaximillian

27 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

I was bothered by the words Paralogue and Xenologue. I though it's some term similar to Prologue and Epilogue that I haven't heard before, but I googled it and found this:

Paralogue: (genomics) a pair of genes that derives from the same ancestral gene and now reside at different locations within the same genome.

Xenologue: (genetics) A type of ortholog where the homologous sequences are found in different species because of horizontal gene transfer.

What were they thinking?

"Para-" derives from Greek "para" meaning "beside" or "side-by-side".

"Xeno-" derives from Greek "xenos" meaning "alien" or "foreign".

"-Logue" derives from French "-logue" meaning "type of speech or discourse" deriving from Greek "logos" meaning "one who speaks in a certain way".

As @Vaximillian says, a paralogue is a "side story" and a xenologue is an "other story".

Anywhere a dictionary lists terminology with a specific context (like "genomics" or "genetics") means that it's jargon specifically for that field. It's similar to how the word "acute" means something very different in medicine than it does in mathematics (though their meanings clearly derive from a common origin) or the word "obtuse" means something different if you're talking about an angle than if you're talking about a person.

I have another question with 2 heroes that I have.

I have a level 40 +speed/-resistance Klein that I have laying around. He's mostly outclassed by my +attack Gordin who has more strength when using the brave bow. Would a firesweep bow serve Klein better instead?

I just got a 5 star +attack/-resistence Marth as well. I assume he's best just by giving him Tailtiu's drive skill, a rally and his falchion refine?

12 minutes ago, Sasori said:

I have another question with 2 heroes that I have.

I have a level 40 +speed/-resistance Klein that I have laying around. He's mostly outclassed by my +attack Gordin who has more strength when using the brave bow. Would a firesweep bow serve Klein better instead?

I just got a 5 star +attack/-resistence Marth as well. I assume he's best just by giving him Tailtiu's drive skill, a rally and his falchion refine?

While Klein would be quite happy to take the Firesweep Bow, do bear in mind that the clearly superior Bride Cordelia might be available again very soon, in the VG banner.

@NegativeExponents- 

Arvis is great for overall support. Ploys + healing every turn is really great for team support. At the very least, he is fun to use.Fury is great on him both for better Ploys and just because it goes well with Recovery Ring.

If you have the Divine Dew, Lilina would be fun to use with her Death Blow + Chill Res. Might not have as much Res to tank unlike Sanaki, but if you want to go full on Player Phase, go with this.

Sophia is pretty much outclassed by Winter Tharja and needs much investment. I half-invested on her but the just stopped halfway. At least she has good bulk so depending on the map (and if you need more movement and don't want Armoured Boots Winter Tharja) she can be a substitute.

As for Julius, I only promoted him because I needed a red mage with good Res since Tharja and Katarina are both -Res. Mostly to fill a role for a GHB or something if I need to tank a green mage. Higher res means better ploys than his dad at least, and there was a calc that with the right conditions he can tank a Reinhardt hit so there's that.

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

While Klein would be quite happy to take the Firesweep Bow, do bear in mind that the clearly superior Bride Cordelia might be available again very soon, in the VG banner.

True Bride Cordelia would probably be a better firesweep archer then Klein or a better brave bow user then Gordin, but i've decided to spare my orbs for the next character banner.

36 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

For a tactics team, is it better to give the tactics skill to a unit that is already high in the corespondending stat or low in the stat.

It's better to give it to a unit that doesn't need the buff.

For example my Cherche is so slow, she would be the perfect unit to equip SPD tactic. A support unit that doesn't attack can equip ATK tactic. An offensive unit (for example with Desperation) would be perfect to buff its team mates with RES or DEF tactics. 

If everyone in your team is offensive, everyone should carry ATK or SPD buffing skills (blade tomes are an exception, they also want to receive RES and DEF buffs in addition). If you have a full tank team, everyone should equip DEF or RES tactic, perhaps one ATK tactic. 

Edited by mampfoid

30 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

For a tactics team, is it better to give the tactics skill to a unit that is already high in the corespondending stat or low in the stat.

Depends on the unit and its teammates. You want to give it to a unit that wants the stat less than its teammates.

As @mampfoid says, you probably want to overlap them on a team instead of each unit carrying a different stat.

51 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

the unit that gets the least mileage out of it. For example my Elise runs RES tactics because she doesnt get hit anyway with dazzling/wrathfull refine and she aint gonna be mage bait either with her low HP stat... so she benefits most from SPD and ATK tactics which are on 2 other units.

It really all depends on the Team composition and who has what task at hands.

For example i gave B!Ike Atk tactics and def seal tactics. He has the highest attack of the group and moderate defense, but that wasnt the reason for this. He is hard to kill without a nuker, so the other Teammembers can benefit the longest for it.

@mampfoid @Humanoid @Rafiel's Aria @mcsilas

Ok, one of the main takeaways I got was that Julius and Sophia overlap with Winter Tharja and I agree. I’ll probably still end up promoting them at some point because armored boots hp requirement makes them useless after taking any damage but they’ll have to wait for now.

@Humanoid the reason I didn’t list someone like M!Morgan (outside of not having him) over Raigh was simply due to favoritism. I know most red mages are considered superior to Raigh. I just choose to ignore it.

@mcsilas Lilina sounds like a literal blast and that video of @Frosty using her for the Zephiel clear definitely pushes me to build her but she’s a bit too specialized for my liking so I’ll wait on her. Not to mention I’m severely lacking in dew and if I did have some it would go to Lyn or Raven first.

That leaves me with Raigh and Arvis. Arvis has ploys, recover ring, and is fairly cheap to build. Just slap fury on him and he’s good to go. I also like the idea that @Rafiel's Aria presented of Raigh being flexible. I already have swordbreaker on him and even though I’ll definitely replace his wolf tome that doesn’t mean I can’t upgrade and switch between weapons as needed unlike Arvis who’ll stay stuck to Valflame for the rest of his days.

With that said I decided to upgrade Raigh.

Spoiler

5vTVtyp.jpg

His build right now is wolf tome, rally atk, Luna, TA3, and Sworbreaker 3.

Looks like a raven build but I’m not planning on doing that. It’s just what I had work with thanks to lack of fodder. By no means final and will certainly be changed but I’ll make him work with that for now.

@NegativeExponents- Whoa cool! Congrats on your Raigh! Hope he works out well for you. Here's mine if you wanna' take a look!

Spoiler

jN5LBYz.png?1

I find he likes having the extra SPD from Darting Blow. But TA will definitely solidify kills for most greens. I dunno' why I gave him Draconic Aura over Moonbow... Probably low on fodder, but it works. He's part of my Water Blessing team along with his mother and father....and hopefully his brother someday.

@Rafiel's Aria If I had to guess I would say you gave him Draconic Aura because it scales off the buffs from blade tomes. Smart thinking on your part. Either way nice Raigh you have there. I like the family theme you have going on. I’m personally thinking of making him earth so he can be with Lucius since I still headcanon he was the owner of the orphanage.

3 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

I just noticed the Fresh Bouquet can get refined. Which one should I get for my Ninian (+Def/-Atk, doesn't even break 40 with Tempest buffs)?

+SPD refine will help her prevent more double to keep her alive and support her teammates as much as she can.