"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

@Ice Dragon @Astellius @LordFrigid @Alexmender @NegativeExponents- @mampfoid @mcsilas @eclipse @Rafiel's Aria So I want to build a Fae.

8StIjz0.pngLDs7Inx.png

Build one is the standard, fairly cheap build that will make use of the cheap Lightning Breath+ build for easy DC as well as my spare L!Ike to turn her into your typical dragon of death. The second build is inspired by my Matthew for a "lol0damagefromeverything" type of build where she'll get a partner and use Light Breath + DC (more of my premium fodder) to become a rampaging and buffing dragon of death. She'll likely be +10'ed as well. I have my FE7 trinity of greens I plan to +10. Nino, Raven and Fae. Later down the line but yeah. I haven't decided what exactly I want to do yet... but I've 100% decided that I'm going to build her, just not sure how yet.

None of that is why you're here though. The question is simple. Which nature should I go with?

• +DEF/-HP
  • +SPD/-HP (x2)
  • +ATK/-RES
  • +HP/-RES
  • +HP/-DEF (x2)
  • +SPD/-DEF

So yeah, eight Faes. I've never pulled a +ATK Fae. It would probably be easy to pick that, but not at the cost of -SPD or -RES I don't think. Her speed seems dumpable but +SPD is high enough to probably avoid some key doubles so I'm considering that. +DEF is good too though because it's a superboon and Warding Breath with a DEF refine will give her a solid 33/34 bulk statline + whatever seal I want to run for sustain.

I've been sitting on this for a while, but this SP glitch means I can get the SP she needs in a flash, it won't last though, so I need to jump on this, and that means grinding SP for the ideal nature among what I have. Fire away.

Edited by Zeo

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Zeo said:

@Ice Dragon @Astellius @LordFrigid @Alexmender @NegativeExponents- @mampfoid @mcsilas @eclipse @Rafiel's Aria So I want to build a Fae.

8StIjz0.pngLDs7Inx.png

Build one is the standard, fairly cheap build that will make use of the cheap Lightning Breath+ build for easy DC as well as my spare L!Ike to turn her into your typical dragon of death. The second build is inspired by my Matthew for a "lol0damagefromeverything" type of build where she'll get a partner and use Light Breath + DC (more of my premium fodder) to become a rampaging and buffing dragon of death. She'll likely be +10'ed as well. I have my FE7 trinity of greens I plan to +10. Nino, Raven and Fae. Later down the line but yeah. I haven't decided what exactly I want to do yet... but I've 100% decided that I'm going to build her, just not sure how yet.

None of that is why you're here though. The question is simple. Which nature should I go with?

• +DEF/-HP
  • +SPD/-HP (x2)
  • +ATK/-RES
  • +HP/-RES
  • +HP/-DEF (x2)
  • +SPD/-DEF

So yeah, eight Faes. I've never pulled a +ATK Fae. It would probably be easy to pick that, but not at the cost of -SPD or -RES I don't think. Her speed seems dumpable but +SPD is high enough to probably avoid some key doubles so I'm considering that. +DEF is good too though because it's a superboon and Warding Breath with a DEF refine will give her a solid 33/34 bulk statline + whatever seal I want to run for sustain.

I've been sitting on this for a while, but this SP glitch means I can get the SP she needs in a flash, it won't last though, so I need to jump on this, and that means grinding SP for the ideal nature among what I have. Fire away.

Alright. She'll probably have both builds (DC will come in handy if she gets a Prf that doesn't have it one day so it can be future proof). -Spd is the best bane for her, if the job is to take as little damage as possible she can't afford to lower her defensive stats so no -Def/-Res. -Spd is very dependent on what kind of enemies she'll face but is the most reliable, for stuff with Moonbow she'll appreciate not getting doubled but for everything else she wants to be in order to proc Aether in one round so just keep her away from Moonbow users and you're golden. -Hp is a very safe bane to choose but with Fae's high Hp lowering it will probably put her in a spot where she'll get Panic Ploy'd by armors/other dragons, rendering Light Breath useless but considering you don't have a -Spd Fae then go for -Hp, after all you can play around Panic Ploy with positioning and can change for a -Spd copy when you pull her.

For the boon I'd say +Def is the way to go. Without it she'll be relatively frail on the physical side which will make the repeated use of QR+Aether quite hard. The Spd looks nice in theory but without heavy investment (Spd refine, Spd+3 seal) it'll be useless with all the Spd demons that lurk around, not to mention the Speed creep makes it that you need to have like base 32 Spd in order to be considered salvageable and like I said before Fae wants to be doubled in order to proc Aether in one round, the extra bulk will help her stay in the QR range to ensure she can keep doing the Round 1 Aether loop.

TL;DR. Go +Def/-Hp and change it for +Def/-Spd whenever you get a copy with that nature.

Edited by Alexmender

I've pulled as many Faes this month as I have in all the previous months put together (two), so I probably can start taking her a bit more seriously too and at least give her a couple of merges. Coincidentally one of those new ones is also +Def -HP, while the incumbent is +Spd -Def, with speed stacking from Fury and the refine.

Normally I'd probably switch pretty quickly for a more generalist Fae, but Myrrh kinda steals the spotlight in terms of being a bulky green dragon, especially being +Def -Spd. With that in mind, I'm a bit more reluctant perhaps to switch from her current magic-counter role, as well as being somewhat usable player-phase.

In the end, my goals are a fair bit more modest, maybe +2 in the short term, and probably mostly used in the secondary dragon team (Y Tiki, M Kana, maybe M Grima) as opposed to the main one (A Tiki, Nowi, Myrrh, F Grima). Either way though, there's a tankier green dragon already in the team so what I might do is merge away the two bad copies and just hold onto the +Def -HP one indefinitely.

@Zeo I like the second build better, so I'm running my numbers off of that.

First off, she's gonna lose out to a competent red unit.  She's REALLY gonna lose out to Falchion, so I'm not even going to bother building for that one.

The Fae I have in mind would be a Res-stacking machine, so she can run Atk Ploy in the C slot, for preemptive debuffing.  If she has +Res on her Light Breath, she'll be able to survive a bit longer if Atk Ploy hits.  I guess you can go with the "Matthew the dragon build", which would be +Def/-HP for best tanking results.

@Zeo You could just grind up SP on any of them, teach that one the skills, and merge into a different one later if you need to. Setting up a merge chain is also a thing.

The Fae nature dilemma has been bugging me for a bit, since I’ve been thinking of changing the nature of my own Fae. For the Lightning Breath set, it looks to me like +Def is the way to go, and -Spd and -HP are roughly similar. For the Light Breath set, +Atk and +Def are both good (the latter seems to align better with your “take no damage” concept), so if she’s getting both sets I’d lean +Def.

The matchup calculations I ran used my simulator, against blue and green foes with the “Performance-Focused Skill Sets” option enabled.

Edited by LordFrigid

@Zeo

I'm not terribly fond of Light Breath. While it's buffing effect is nice, it only lasts until the start of the next player phase, meaning it's mostly useless unless she initiates combat on player phase... which she's not very good at. That said, you're probably more used to using Rogue Dagger than I am, so I'll leave you to judge on whether you can effectively make use of the buffs, keeping in mind that Fae is pretty slow.

As for the SP glitch, you can give a ton of SP to a Fae you know you'll use as merge fodder later, and when it comes time to build your Fae, teach that one all the skills and transfer them over with a merge.

Reposting my question as it has now been drowned out entirely:

18 hours ago, Nanima said:

I recently pulled two Sonyas, and with most of my other projects finished I think it's time to build one. 

One is +Atk -Res, which sounds great, but I wanted to use ploys with her and 29 Res is a bit shaky for that. 

The other is +HP -Def, which would have the ideal bane, except she'll be dishing out much less damage than she could. 

If I am going with the first one, what would be the best alternative to a ploy based build? Also, what to do with the other? Mirror Strike isn't exactly in high demand (plus there's Oliver) and res ploy can just be used as a seal. Just merge her then?

7 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Reposting my question as it has now been drowned out entirely:

I was also blessed with a -Res Sonya.  I decided that she would run a more generic set (buff in the C slot).  I wish I had +Atk, though!  And sure, she doesn't mind the merge at all.

If I am going with the first one, what would be the best alternative to a ploy based build?

Fury + Ploy, though, honestly, I don't think 29 Res is actually that bad to use for Ploys. You're not going to hit many tome users with it, but you can hit nearly every melee unit.

Also, what to do with the other? Mirror Strike isn't exactly in high demand (plus there's Oliver) and res ploy can just be used as a seal. Just merge her then?

If you run a double Ploy build, you'll still need one of the two Ploys to be in the C slot. If you have the barracks space, why not just hold onto her for later?

26 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I was also blessed with a -Res Sonya.  I decided that she would run a more generic set (buff in the C slot).  I wish I had +Atk, though!  And sure, she doesn't mind the merge at all.

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Fury + Ploy, though, honestly, I don't think 29 Res is actually that bad to use for Ploys. You're not going to hit many tome users with it, but you can hit nearly every melee unit.

If you run a double Ploy build, you'll still need one of the two Ploys to be in the C slot. If you have the barracks space, why not just hold onto her for later?

Okay, so I'll stick to the +Atk one and still use the ploy build to make melees easier to take care of. And the other can stay in the barracks for now until I find some use for her or Res ploy becomes available at 4*. Thanks for the help!

@Zeo I like the Light breath build of her, since you know how to play with buffs/debuffs.

Did you consider Water Breath? Too bad Summer's breath isn't an option. 

My Fae is pretty standard Lightning Breath + Fury. 

19 hours ago, Nanima said:

I recently pulled two Sonyas, and with most of my other projects finished I think it's time to build one. 

One is +Atk -Res, which sounds great, but I wanted to use ploys with her and 29 Res is a bit shaky for that. 

The other is +HP -Def, which would have the ideal bane, except she'll be dishing out much less damage than she could. 

If I am going with the first one, what would be the best alternative to a ploy based build? Also, what to do with the other? Mirror Strike isn't exactly in high demand (plus there's Oliver) and res ploy can just be used as a seal. Just merge her then?

Sonya is pretty slow, so I would not use her as a Player Phase unit unless she is +Spd. Even with +Spd, she is not great at the role either, and that level of investment could have been used on a faster mage for better returns. Mirror Strike also kind of sucks since it does not boost Spd, which Player Phase units really needs, especially for Sonya.

That leaves her as an Enemy Phase unit. She has a similar stat spread to Deidre, as both got lopsided bulk. Sonya is a bit faster, but not as tanky. Sonya's most optimal tank build is a Spd/Res tank, which is a bit different from Deirdre's pure Res tank build. However, Sonya can still work as a Res tank with Fury, despite her higher Spd and lower Res.

Sonya +Spd, -Def
Excalibur, Moonbow
Atk/Spd Push, Quick Riposte
Speed +3
No Red, No Melee, No Physical Enemies +5, +Spd, Moonbow, Fury
Enemy Phase 56:2:1
Enemy Phase [+HP, -Def] 54:3:2
Enemy Phase [+Atk, -Res] 52:5:2
Enemy Phase [Kestrel Stance] 55:2:2
Enemy Phase [Kestrel Stance, +HP, -Def] 52:4:3
Enemy Phase [Kestrel Stance, +Atk, -Res] 50:7:2

Sonya
Excalibur, Moonbow
Fury, Quick Riposte
Distant Def
Enemy Phase [+HP, -Def] 54:2:3
Enemy Phase [+Atk, -Res] 52:5:2

Deirdre +Res, -Spd
Divine Naga, Iceberg
Mirror Stance, Quick Riposte
Distant Def
Enemy Phase 54:1:4

Coupled with her native Res Ploy, Sonya does not really need +Atk in my opinion if you line her up properly.

I went with +DEF/-HP. But Since she's got 9999 SP as of the glitch, I'm not in a rush to build her yet. She'll probably get the Lightning Breath+ build even if I'm partial to the Light Breath+ build, but DC is too hard to come by without devoting orbs specifically to Hector banners.

Thanks guys.

How important is it to have a speed-boosting A-slot on Lyn in practice? I see Brazen Atk/Spd listed as her best option, and while that's probably right, I only have one copy of Linus and it's 5* inheritance which I'm reluctant to do. Likewise I'd be happy to pass on LnD2, but not LnD3 until another Sothe turns up (who I've only seen once, ever).

Disregarding speed, Death Blow is only 1 attack less than Brazen, but if she fails to double a ranged unit naturally, then no special will fire and it's down to her so-so attack which looks like it won't be enough to take down a Tharja or Tailtiu for example. But I suppose I could just faff about for a turn by avoiding the engagement, and let Wrath charge up Moonbow for a next-turn kill.

Fury seems like it'd be worse than LnD2, so I guess breaking it down the question is: LnD2 for now, with a view to upgrading to Brazen Atk/Spd or LnD3 in future, or just DB3 now and forget about it?

Sol Katti (special)
Reposition
Moonbow

???
Wrath
(anything)

EDIT: Just reading around and it seems I underestimated Lyn's resistance. A Spd Ploy on her would hit both Tharja and Tailtiu, if I ever had the foresight to position myself correctly, and allow the double. And I actually do have a spare Saias and it's only 4* inheritance, tempting.

EDIT 2: I actually looked up the wiki to see whether there was a Spd Ploy seal and saw there was none. Totally forgot there is one, as of today. But might not be the best option for her as a seal.

Edited by Humanoid

@Zeo Well, I've replied a bit late but I was going to recommend to try the budget build first since you have all the SP. Get a feel for it, and if the lower Mt is not your thing (and you really want a Breath Rogue Dagger) then you can switch sets.

Why don't you give Lightning Breath+ Fae Atk Smoke as well? It could be a compromise for now.

@Humanoid How many LnD2 fodder do you have right now? If you have a lot, maybe just try for that and get a feel for it, and if you think she misses out on some kills then upgrade?

2 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

How many LnD2 fodder do you have right now? If you have a lot, maybe just try for that and get a feel for it, and if you think she misses out on some kills then upgrade?

None as such, because Hana is a 4* merge project. Plenty of 3* copies I can promote of course, but that's 2000 feathers I can never get back. Not that Klein isn't more valuable of course, but with him I have some 4* copies ready to go, and if DB3 is close enough to optimal then it's more efficient just using him.

20 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Do the new summer weapons (Juicy Drink, Starfish and Fishie Bow) have their desperation effect if the unit is using Watersweep?

Desperation only works when the unit can double. Can’t reorder the attacks that aren’t possible.

13 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Desperation only works when the unit can double. Can’t reorder the attacks that aren’t possible.

So it doesn't allow for that. Shame, I thought I might have something there.

Aw well, still no idea who wants Watersweep then.

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Is it better to run a Harmonic Lance with Iceberg, or a Slaying Lance with Iceberg instead?

Any other cooldown-affecting skills? Harmonic Lance wouldn't fire on the first combat without something like Heavy Blade or Quickened Pulse (or Flashing Blade or a Breath, if infantry or armour). Otherwise I'd say Slaying Lance with Iceberg or Harmonic Lance with Moonbow for first round activation.

8 hours ago, Humanoid said:

LnD2 for now, with a view to upgrading to Brazen Atk/Spd or LnD3 in future, or just DB3 now and forget about it?

I prefer the Brazen Atk/Spd or Life and Death route. I lean towards Life and Death so she can get straight to business right away, as I am a little skeptical on having terrible first round performance with Brazen Atk/Spd.

Death Blow is fine if you have Res tanks as teammates to handle ranged units and take the load off of Lyn, so being able to tackle ranged units is not absolutely necessary if your play style does not put her in those situations often.

4 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Is it better to run a Harmonic Lance with Iceberg, or a Slaying Lance with Iceberg instead?

Depends entirely on if you can reliably activate Iceberg in one round of combat with a Harmonic Lance, which means you're running cooldown acceleration (Heavy Blade, etc.) or Special charge (Quickened Pulse, etc.) or you're getting doubled on enemy phase.

Note that if you can reliably activate Iceberg in one round of combat with a Harmonic Lance, if the unit has 32 Res or more, Slaying Lance with Glacies will deal more damage than Harmonic Lance with Iceberg.

24 minutes ago, Simpsons138 said:

Is vantage good on Tana or not? Lance Tana not Summer Tana 

In my opinion, the only units who can competently use Vantage are those who can deal at least 75+ damage reliably in a single hit (or 83+ damage against 5*+10 units), as a lot of units have at least that level of bulk. Units like Tana and Ryoma simply do not make the cut.

Units with 75+ Atk include Blade mages with 6/6/6/6 buffs and units with Wrath on their Weapons who can charge their Special without combat (LA!Hector and Ares).

Edited by XRay