"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

@Junkhead I prefer +SPD on most of my offensive units and I'd prefer it on Nephenee too if I ever get her. 

Her Wrath skill is cool, but my main units where Cavs (Roy) and Flyers (Cherche, Cordelia), therefore I never sniped with big effort for her.

M!Marth replaced Roy in my Arena team, but she wouldn't be my first candidate for Wrath (even if it goes well with her sealed Falchion) since she uses Flashing Blade in PvE content. Shiro, my other Infantry unit with high merges (+6, a lot of pity breakers), already got Steady Breath. 

(In answer to this)

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

@Junkhead I prefer +SPD on most of my offensive units and I'd prefer it on Nephenee too if I ever get her. 

Her Wrath skill is cool, but my main units where Cavs (Roy) and Flyers (Cherche, Cordelia), therefore I never sniped with big effort for her.

M!Marth replaced Roy in my Arena team, but she wouldn't be my first candidate for Wrath (even if it goes well with her sealed Falchion) since she uses Flashing Blade in PvE content. Shiro, my other Infantry unit with high merges (+6, a lot of pity breakers), already got Steady Breath.

(In answer to this)

yeah, I was about to quote you on it.

I was asking what's the deal with other people prioritising +Spd, when neutral Nephenee is enough to avoid most doubles as it is (and since they're going with Steady Breath anyway). +Spd is probably my favourite here because of my ideal mixed phase role. It's the same I have in mind for Marisa.

hmn I have a +spd/-res F!Corrin that I really, really want to use. I'm waiting for a better +atk nature with a res/hp bane sometime, but I want to use her.

Now, I was thinking of running a Darting Stance+Vantage+QR seal set on her along with maybe a warding breath+aether+swordbreaker set. She's a fave and I really want to make my project: dragon emblem team work.

So far I've got A!Tiki with  +atk/-spd and a Steady Breath Bonfire set, a Grifa with Aether and swordbreaker, and an F!Kana that's probably going towards a tank build. I really want to build them and I have a spare Myyrh, Joshua, BK, V!Ike, and Y!Tiki for fodder if it turns out that they can improve with them.

12 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

yeah, I was about to quote you on it.

I was asking what's the deal with other people prioritising +Spd, when neutral Nephenee is enough to avoid most doubles as it is (and since they're going with Steady Breath anyway). +Spd is probably my favourite here because of my ideal mixed phase role. It's the same I have in mind for Marisa.

Yeah, for Steady Breath you don't need +SPD. Mixed phase sounds better, what A-skills do you have in mind for both? 

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

Yeah, for Steady Breath you don't need +SPD. Mixed phase sounds better, what A-skills do you have in mind for both?

The ideal A-slot is to buff mostly Spd & Def, to which Fury is the most budget and effective for it. Wrath is clearly intended, Atk Smoke to debuff enemies and sustain durability and multiple  encounters (maybe even at once) and Flashing Blade + Slaying, for a Turn-1 Ignis.

1 hour ago, Junkhead said:

The ideal A-slot is to buff mostly Spd & Def, to which Fury is the most budget and effective for it. Wrath is clearly intended, Atk Smoke to debuff enemies and sustain durability and multiple  encounters (maybe even at once) and Flashing Blade + Slaying, for a Turn-1 Ignis.

Sounds pretty strong, now I want a Nephenee. ^^'

What do you think of SPD/DEF Bond for her?

I used my spare NY!Camilla to let Sharena have double SPD/DEF bond and it works pretty good in TTs with the right team. 

28 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Sounds pretty strong, now I want a Nephenee. ^^'

What do you think of SPD/DEF Bond for her?

I used my spare NY!Camilla to let Sharena have double SPD/DEF bond and it works pretty good in TTs with the right team. 

Spd/Def is lame and exclusive. Fury's virtually free...in comparison, anyway.

21 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

Assuming you are facing against optimized enemies, you can never have enough Spd (unless you are super slow or something and you want to dump Spd). +Spd is the best boon for nukes and Spd tanks in general.

For nukes, doubling is usually the best way to deal additional damage. Increasing damage per hit, increasing damage per Special trigger, reducing Special cool down, etc. are all less efficient at getting kills than doubling. Being able to double means that the unit is able to deal twice as much damage against fast opponents.

For Spd tanks, they generally have enough bulk to withstand one attack, and they need +Spd to prevent doubles from optimized enemies. While not every enemy is optimized, if a unit can be built to handle optimized enemies, then it can generally handle unoptimized enemies as well, so there is no reason not to go for a higher standard if the player can afford it.

8 minutes ago, XRay said:

Assuming you are facing against optimized enemies, you can never have enough Spd (unless you are super slow or something and you want to dump Spd). +Spd is the best boon for nukes and Spd tanks in general.

For nukes, doubling is usually the best way to deal additional damage. Increasing damage per hit, increasing damage per Special trigger, reducing Special cool down, etc. are all less efficient at getting kills than doubling. Being able to double means that the unit is able to deal twice as much damage against fast opponents.

For Spd tanks, they generally have enough bulk to withstand one attack, and they need +Spd to prevent doubles from optimized enemies. While not every enemy is optimized, if a unit can be built to handle optimized enemies, then it can generally handle unoptimized enemies as well, so there is no reason not to go for a higher standard if the player can afford it.

I use Darting Stance. 凸(`⌒´メ)凸

Screenshot_2018-08-17-06-14-361.png

Edited by Junkhead

2 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

I use Darting Stance and it works. 凸(`⌒´メ)凸

Darting Stance is okay, although I personally would never use it since Fury exist. For optimization, I prefer Kestral Stance, Atk/Spd Bond, or Atk/Spd Push for Spd tanks to generate more kills.

17 minutes ago, XRay said:

Darting Stance is okay, although I personally would never use it since Fury exist. For optimization, I prefer Kestral Stance, Atk/Spd Bond, or Atk/Spd Push for Spd tanks to generate more kills.

I know about Fury, but then he can't live through a lot more matchups to which he would be able to were he to have that extra 12+ HP or so. It's also why I'm trying out Spd/Def.

A lot of those other options are either very exclusive or have you stapling unto someone to pull them off. Atk/Spd Push is lame unless you have something to heal yourself.

I keep switching between sets because I'm not sure which is the best.

- On one hand, Darting Stance's ability to block doubles from some of the fastest units is insane. On the flip side, there aren't all that many characters that are that fast (at least in my current score range) and I kind of need QR to make best use of it and kill (which means no Close Def).

- Spd/Def is my mixed phase take on mixed phase without Fury's HP drawback. My issue is 38 Spd might not always cut it for doubling (barely doubles neutral Zelgius) and you don't always block faster doubles (45 Spd onwards). This is mostly a measure against Bold Fighter.

- Fury's great until it starts chipping on your HP more than actual enemy damage.

- Somewhat trying out DC, but my +Atk/-Res Libra durability is shaky agaisnt a lot of ranged threats. Best bet would be something like Infantry Pulse > Moonbow, but I don't know if I'd kill my Dorcas for it. Waiting for a Seal version (Libra heavily appreciates the S-slot).

libra_builds.png?width=424&height=426

Edited by Junkhead

Couple of questions:

1. Which IV's for B!Ike? +Def/-Res (Currently using) OR +Atk/-HP? (Enemy Phase setup, either way).

2. Which IV's for Elincia? +HP/-Def or +Res/-HP? (Merging).

4. (Assuming ultimate IV's & setup) who would be the better pick to +10 out of OG Chrom & OG Roy?

• I feel like OG Roy wins this based off his Binding Blade refine alone, but unsure.

3 hours ago, Junkhead said:

A lot of those other options are either very exclusive or have you stapling unto someone to pull them off.

Having two people stand next to each other is a trivial matter for an enemy-phase unit. Bond skills don't even need a specific other person. Any warm body will do.

2 hours ago, D4RTH said:

1. Which IV's for B!Ike? +Def/-Res (Currently using) OR +Atk/-HP? (Enemy Phase setup, either way).

+Atk.

2 hours ago, D4RTH said:

2. Which IV's for Elincia? +HP/-Def or +Res/-HP? (Merging).

I'd lean toward +HP, but that's because I'm running Escutcheon on mine. +Res, on the other hand, gives her decent Ploy potential.

2 hours ago, D4RTH said:

4. (Assuming ultimate IV's & setup) who would be the better pick to +10 out of OG Chrom & OG Roy?

Gamepedia says Chrom and I'm inclined to agree with them on this one. Chrom has a far superior Atk stat and can boost it even higher with his Falchion's Spectrum Bond, giving him higher one-hit kill potential when running a Wrath build. Additionally, Renewal 3 on Falchion gives him better sustain, and Wrath's Special charge effect activates before the healing from Renewal.

Chrom would optimally be running one of

+10 Chrom [+Atk, -Res] (Falchion [unique], Moonbow / Glimmer, Distant Counter, Wrath 3, Quickened Pulse) or
+10 Chrom [+Atk, -Res] (Falchion [unique], Bonfire, Warding Breath / Steady Breath, Wrath 3, Quickened Pulse)

depending on whether you need him to handle ranged units or not.

9 hours ago, Junkhead said:

I know about Fury, but then he can't live through a lot more matchups to which he would be able to were he to have that extra 12+ HP or so. It's also why I'm trying out Spd/Def.

That depends on what the player prefers to prioritize. I prioritize having more kills over having less deaths. For me, there is no point prioritizing survivability over kills when shit like Vantage and Wings of Mercy exist to screw players over and are especially effective against players who are not killing things fast enough. Prioritizing survivability also does not really make much sense since once disadvantaged match ups are discounted, as the amount of kills the unit gives up to increase survival against a few more enemies of the same color is not worth it.

A lot of those other options are either very exclusive or have you stapling unto someone to pull them off. Atk/Spd Push is lame unless you have something to heal yourself.

That is why I listed multiple options, and just because it is exclusive does not make it any less useful. Atk/Spd Push is amazing for players who like to run healers. There is no loss in bulk and it allows the unit to participate in Player Phase combat when necessary.

I keep switching between sets because I'm not sure which is the best.

- On one hand, Darting Stance's ability to block doubles from some of the fastest units is insane. On the flip side, there aren't all that many characters that are that fast (at least in my current score range) and I kind of need QR to make best use of it and kill (which means no Close Def).

- Spd/Def is my mixed phase take on mixed phase without Fury's HP drawback. My issue is 38 Spd might not always cut it for doubling (barely doubles neutral Zelgius) and you don't always block faster doubles (45 Spd onwards). This is mostly a measure against Bold Fighter.

- Fury's great until it starts chipping on your HP more than actual enemy damage.

- Somewhat trying out DC, but my +Atk/-Res Libra durability is shaky agaisnt a lot of ranged threats. Best bet would be something like Infantry Pulse > Moonbow, but I don't know if I'd kill my Dorcas for it. Waiting for a Seal version (Libra heavily appreciates the S-slot).

I cannot really say which one is best since we have totally different play styles, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

If you have BB!Charlotte on your team with I think Slaying Spear, I do not see the point in having Libra go against the triangle and specifically Zelgius. If you find yourself needing more Spd, there is always Drive Spd and Hone Speed.

Fury's chip damage does not matter when most units are not going to fight more than one or two rounds of combat. If you are the type of player who likes to drag out battles for whatever reason, then Fury's recoil is an issue., but usually, I assume players want to kill things in one round of combat and finish the battle as soon as possible to avoid shit like Vantage and Wings of Mercy.

If you want to go against nukes like Celica, Nino, SF!Nino, Ishtar, SA!Tana. etc. Libra will need a crazy amount of Spd stacking or Res stacking, and neither are completely mage proof. Spd stacking Libra makes him vulnerable to high-damage-per-hit/one-shot builds, while Res stacking makes him vulnerable to Luna-Heavy Blade/Flashing Blade builds. You can try the middle of the road approach, but sometimes that just make things worse and the unit cannot tank either types of magic nukes.

— — — — — — —

Alright, my own question!

Okay, I thought I was going to promote give Serra her Pain+ build this week, but then I realized I merged all my Azamas and I foddered every other Pain user for Pain to everyone else. I do not think I will pulling for a while since I already got all my Dancer/Singers, so Serra will just have to be on hold.

Since it feels like I have seen a lot of Hectors lately, I figured I will promote a Caeda and merge her with her 5* copies to free up some space. However, should I go with [+Atk, -HP] or [+Atk, -Def]? I am leaning towards -HP since I plan to give her Fury down the line so she can more easily get into Desperation range if the enemy could not counter. For now, she is mostly just going to be in Arena Assault most of the time, and she will probably normally run Triangle Adept 2 and Axebreaker.

Edited by XRay

7 hours ago, XRay said:

That depends on what the player prefers to prioritize. I prioritize having more kills over having less deaths. For me, there is no point prioritizing survivability over kills when shit like Vantage and Wings of Mercy exist to screw players over and are especially effective against players who are not killing things fast enough. Prioritizing survivability also does not really make much sense since once disadvantaged match ups are discounted, as the amount of kills the unit gives up to increase survival against a few more enemies of the same color is not worth it.

That is why I listed multiple options, and just because it is exclusive does not make it any less useful. Atk/Spd Push is amazing for players who like to run healers. There is no loss in bulk and it allows the unit to participate in Player Phase combat when necessary.

I cannot really say which one is best since we have totally different play styles, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

If you have BB!Charlotte on your team with I think Slaying Spear, I do not see the point in having Libra go against the triangle and specifically Zelgius. If you find yourself needing more Spd, there is always Drive Spd and Hone Speed.

Fury's chip damage does not matter when most units are not going to fight more than one or two rounds of combat. If you are the type of player who likes to drag out battles for whatever reason, then Fury's recoil is an issue., but usually, I assume players want to kill things in one round of combat and finish the battle as soon as possible to avoid shit like Vantage and Wings of Mercy.

If you want to go against nukes like Celica, Nino, SF!Nino, Ishtar, SA!Tana. etc. Libra will need a crazy amount of Spd stacking or Res stacking, and neither are completely mage proof. Spd stacking Libra makes him vulnerable to high-damage-per-hit/one-shot builds, while Res stacking makes him vulnerable to Luna-Heavy Blade/Flashing Blade builds. You can try the middle of the road approach, but sometimes that just make things worse and the unit cannot tank either types of magic nukes.

— — — — — — —

Alright, my own question!

Okay, I thought I was going to promote give Serra her Pain+ build this week, but then I realized I merged all my Azamas and I foddered every other Pain user for Pain to everyone else. I do not think I will pulling for a while since I already got all my Dancer/Singers, so Serra will just have to be on hold.

Since it feels like I have seen a lot of Hectors lately, I figured I will promote a Caeda and merge her with her 5* copies to free up some space. However, should I go with [+Atk, -HP] or [+Atk, -Def]? I am leaning towards -HP since I plan to give her Fury down the line so she can more easily get into Desperation range if the enemy could not counter. For now, she is mostly just going to be in Arena Assault most of the time, and she will probably normally run Triangle Adept 2 and Axebreaker.

I understand completely. 

f6309e5331499f27fab5836921527128.jpg

10 hours ago, XRay said:

I lean -HP, but of course my use case is a little different than yours. I would also look at green armor builds you commonly see in AA, because I don’t think she should need both TA and Axebreaker unless you’re not running Flier buffs.

10 hours ago, XRay said:

After considering it, I'd go -HP. Even though her defensive ability is shoddy overall, she only needs to take a little damage to enter Desperation range after Fury damage, and while I highly doubt you'll be trying to keep Fortify Flier buffs on her, she'll still be able to withstand at least one or two Green hits from the popular Green Armors. Going with -HP would hurt her ability to take magical damage, but given she has good Res anyways she shouldn't be taking so much magical damage in the first place, so long as she resists it anyways.

But... assuming you can still summon, I'd wait just a little longer, since we're gonna be getting a New Heroes banner starting on the 21st (and an accompanying Forging Bonds). If there's a decent Colorless unit on it, that's an open chance to get Azama or Lucius. If not, or you don't wanna summon anymore flat out, then... well that's fair.

10 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

I lean -HP, but of course my use case is a little different than yours. I would also look at green armor builds you commonly see in AA, because I don’t think she should need both TA and Axebreaker unless you’re not running Flier buffs.

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

After considering it, I'd go -HP. Even though her defensive ability is shoddy overall, she only needs to take a little damage to enter Desperation range after Fury damage, and while I highly doubt you'll be trying to keep Fortify Flier buffs on her, she'll still be able to withstand at least one or two Green hits from the popular Green Armors. Going with -HP would hurt her ability to take magical damage, but given she has good Res anyways she shouldn't be taking so much magical damage in the first place, so long as she resists it anyways.

Alright, thanks! I think I will go with -HP then.

She is mostly going to be a counter, so I want to be sure she is able to over kill green armors with or without support. The overkill is just insurance to ensure she finishes the job, since I see quite a few Wary Fighter armors and very occasionally Svalinn Shield armors.

3 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

But... assuming you can still summon, I'd wait just a little longer, since we're gonna be getting a New Heroes banner starting on the 21st (and an accompanying Forging Bonds). If there's a decent Colorless unit on it, that's an open chance to get Azama or Lucius. If not, or you don't wanna summon anymore flat out, then... well that's fair.

Unless they release a Dancer/Singer, Firesweep Bow, Valor skill, or flying archer/dagger, I do not think I will do any summoning besides the free summon.

@XRay fuck what I saying, of course I don't understand. I mean, yeah, I understand from an entirely functional standpoint. But that's lame. If I just wanted to settle with countering the triangle, I'd just run a team on TA and/or Gem weapons. It's a really low and easy standard. Literally anyone can do that (and this is a card I hate using in Heroes).

It's a statement. The Triangle in heroes is oppressive unlike an any other FE game. To defeat The Triangle is to against everything. Call it philosophical.

And now, for a complely immature albeit appropriate reaction:

凸(`⌒´メ)凸

Edited by Junkhead

11 hours ago, XRay said:

Has the Arena scoring change made you rethink some of those strategies and ideas? In higher Arena scoring ranges, I don't even see those skills or dancers, and I'd say Bold Fighter Zelgius is the most dreaded thing to go against (depending on my setup of course). Having a unit who can not only survive the most troublesome opponents and also leave them in a safe kill range has enabled me to get bonus unit kills when I otherwise have no chance. There's a value in pulling off these kinds of stunts now, though I know there are plenty of people who don't see it as being worth the trouble.

53 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

@XRay fuck what I saying, of course I don't understand. I mean, yeah, I understand from an entirely functional standpoint. But that's lame. If I just wanted to settle with countering the triangle, I'd just run a team on TA and/or Gem weapons. It's a really low and easy standard. Literally anyone can do that (and this is a card I hate using in Heroes).

It's a statement. The Triangle in heroes is oppressive unlike an any other FE game. To defeat The Triangle is to against everything. Call it philosophical.

And now, for a complely immature albeit appropriate reaction:

Function over form is not lame. Anyone can go against the triangle with enough buffs while not giving enemies enough buffs, so I do not see how going against the triangle raises the bar any higher.

If you really hate the triangle, the game even gives you Firesweep archers/healers to ignore it and do it safely.

53 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

凸(`⌒´メ)凸

Nyaa~! You hurt my wittle feewings.

=(@ w @)=

19 minutes ago, Johann said:

Has the Arena scoring change made you rethink some of those strategies and ideas? In higher Arena scoring ranges, I don't even see those skills or dancers, and I'd say Bold Fighter Zelgius is the most dreaded thing to go against (depending on my setup of course). Having a unit who can not only survive the most troublesome opponents and also leave them in a safe kill range has enabled me to get bonus unit kills when I otherwise have no chance. There's a value in pulling off these kinds of stunts now, though I know there are plenty of people who don't see it as being worth the trouble.

I still see Vantage and Dancers/Singers, and occasionally Wings of Mercy. I score between 720-738 depending on if I have a high merged bonus unit for the week. For me, I would much rather face armor units because they are super slow movement wise.

I guess there is value for leaving enemies alive now, but that is kind of risky. I personally would not prioritize bonus kills though.

Edited by XRay

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

Function over form is not lame. Anyone can go against the triangle with enough buffs while not giving enemies enough buffs, so I do not see how going against the triangle raises the bar any higher.

But then anyone can just counter The Triangle in a normal fashion, so it's not like the common standard is any better. The Triangle is all the advantage they need to win, and that's why it's a strong statement to beat it.

If you really hate the triangle, the game even gives you Firesweep archers/healers to ignore it and do it safely.

You probably give Elincia Firesweep instead of using Amiti. Don'tcha.

Don'tcha.

Nyaa~! You hurt my wittle feewings.

=(@ w @)=

You insult my honor.

In a more serious note, all this said. I think you may know more about where I'm coming from. And while I don't "need" to do a lot things, I'm generally going to want to try otherwise. I can also afford to drop a little ego and actually try to understand a thing or two, better. I know you and Ice Dragon aren't going to have your feelings skewed and married to certain concepts like I do.

Edited by Junkhead

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

I still see Vantage and Dancers/Singers, and occasionally Wings of Mercy. I score between 720-738 depending on if I have a high merged bonus unit for the week. For me, I would much rather face armor units because they are super slow movement wise.

I guess there is value for leaving enemies alive now, but that is kind of risky. I personally would not prioritize bonus kills though.

I get ya. This past week, my team was in the 728-740 range, and I wouldn't see dancers or even ranged units as long as I fished for high enough scores (like 734+). Ensuring that I could get those kills had me using Ploys, Tactics, Spurs, and Renewal to ensure that I had zero risk provided I could split the enemies up or at least outrun them. It's amusing to go from nearly dead to full HP by simply running around the map while Renewal does its thing, which has me generally preferring to fight armored units as well. Bold Fighter + Steady Breath + QR is the only thing that gives me pause due to how devastating they can be, though since I was using Frederick + Hammer, only Zelgius was a threat.

57 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

You probably give Elincia Firesweep instead of using Amiti. Don'tcha.

Don'tcha.

I have not touched her yet, since she pity broke me and prevented me from getting YT!Olivia. She is +Spd, -Def, so this copy will definitely be running Firesweep S when I build her in the future. Any future non +Spd copies I get of her will run her default Amiti though.

I have also stopped touching Y!Tiki (that sounds wrong), and she is just sitting there partly built. I will have to resume building her eventually though to save space.

57 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

In a more serious note, all this said. I think you may know more about where I'm coming from. And while I don't "need" to do a lot things, I'm generally going to want to try otherwise. I can also afford to drop a little ego and actually try to understand a thing or two, better. I know you and Ice Dragon aren't going to have your feelings skewed and married to certain concepts like I do.

I am still married to Player Phase teams and I gave my Summoner Support to BH!Lyn. I find Enemy Phase units and teams to be very difficult to use.

42 minutes ago, Johann said:

I get ya. This past week, my team was in the 728-740 range, and I wouldn't see dancers or even ranged units as long as I fished for high enough scores (like 734+). Ensuring that I could get those kills had me using Ploys, Tactics, Spurs, and Renewal to ensure that I had zero risk provided I could split the enemies up or at least outrun them. It's amusing to go from nearly dead to full HP by simply running around the map while Renewal does its thing, which has me generally preferring to fight armored units as well. Bold Fighter + Steady Breath + QR is the only thing that gives me pause due to how devastating they can be, though since I was using Frederick + Hammer, only Zelgius was a threat.

Do you use a flier team? I find some of the maps harder to avoid the enemy since some of the maps basically funnel the two teams together.

Edited by XRay

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

She is +Spd, -Def, so this copy will definitely be running Firesweep S when I build her in the future. Any future non +Spd copies I get of her will run her default Amiti though.

Don't be one of those lame-Os that stick her with Death Blow > Amiti. Her Spd is built to quad. What's going to be touching you when you're quadding with 50 Spd Spd on top of Desperation? My -Spd Elincia could reach 46 Spd, and it's not like people like Ayra & Soleil won't die in two hits.