"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

21 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

What's a good C-Skill for Silvia? I'm not used to using Dancers since I don't really have any but Gamepress suggested Drive Attack and I do have a Fjorm chilling around that I honestly never really intend to use~

If she is the free neutral one, SAVE that Fjorm. There is no reason to fodder her even if you do not plan to use her right now; free neutral units are an insurance just in case you get stuck on something in the future and you can simply watch strategy videos to solve it.

I am still amazed by the poor planning and lack of forethought that even veteran players have when it comes to managing their Barracks. If it is free a unit, save it. If it is a neutral unit, save it. If you do not have a preference for CYL Heroes, pick BH!Lyn and AOTB!Veronica. Keep at least one copy of everything. If you are running out of space, expand barracks is more cost effective than sending units home. That is all the basic rules I can think of, but basically if you make conservative decisions, you will be fine.

I agree with @Vaximillian and she should run Hone Atk/Hone Spd on C slot, and the other Hone should run on her Sacred Seal Slot.

She can alternatively run Drive Spd on the C slot and Drive Atk on the Sacred Seal slot if you need her to score higher and her teammates does not consist of Blade mages.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, XRay said:

If she is the free neutral one, SAVE that Fjorm. There is no reason to fodder her even if you do not plan to use her right now, since free neutral units are an insurance just in case you get stuck on something in the future and you can simply watch strategy videos to solve it.

I am still amazed by the poor planning and lack of forethought that even veteran players have when it comes to managing their Barracks. If it is free a unit, save it. If it is a neutral unit, save it. If you do not have a preference for CYL Heroes, pick BH!Lyn and AOTB!Veronica.

I agree with @Vaximillian and she should run Hone Atk/Hone Spd on C slot, and the other Hone should run on her Sacred Seal Slot.

She can alternatively run Drive Spd on the C slot and Drive Atk on the Sacred Seal slot if you need her to score higher and her teammates does not consist of Blade mages.

I've got the free Fjorm and a -Spd, + Res that I pulled~ I did always plan to keep at least one so I'll make sure to save the Neutral one~

I'm still salty for picking B!Lyn, don't remind me

And alright, I'll go between those two, thanks for the advice!~

Questions Time!! :)

I have 241/300 people in my barracks. And as this game hates me, i have a gazillion duplicates of characters I'm not really sure about.. 

I have For Swords:
2 5* Mia. 
4 4* Ares 
3 4* Elliwood and 1 3* Elliwood 
3 4* Ogma, & 2 3* Ogma
3 4* Caeda, & 2 3* Caeda 
3 3* Selena
2 4* Soilel
2 4* Silph

2 4* Roy + 3 3* Roy (Original recipe)
1 4* Chrom + 2 3* Chrom
1 4* Lon'qu, 1 3* Lon'qu
1 4* Athena, 2 3* Athena 

(I have 3 Olivias, this is a project already)
I started with the Caeda's because that's what? + 5 once i'm done? and I figure i can grind for feathers or what not, but i'm more wondering who to put the time and effort in? like who is just good for 'insta fodder" (like for hinata, i'm basically grinding him for the buckler, or whatever, and giving it to someone else, i don't really like him and he's 3*). should I just take my time and train all of them eventually?

Also is Sophia, Henry and  Raigh even worth it?

2 hours ago, daisy jane said:

I started with the Caeda's because that's what? + 5 once i'm done?

That will be +4. You have 5 copies, which means a base unit and 4 merges. I recommend using [+Atk/Spd, -HP/Def] as the base.

and I figure i can grind for feathers or what not, but i'm more wondering who to put the time and effort in?

should I just take my time and train all of them eventually?

That depends on your play style. If you are a new player, you definitely should not train everyone right now as that would spread your resources way too thin.

If you do not have a preference for a play style yet, I recommend trying out the following two teams in Arena Assault and see which one is easier to win 5 times perfectly (i.e.: no losses) and consecutively in a row for you. The following teams lack a fourth unit to simulate running a bonus unit in Arena.

— — — — — — —

Ranged Player Phase team:

1. Pick any Dancer/Singer (e.g.: Olivia).

2. Choose two of the following, and give them both Reposition:
a) Blade mage (e.g.: Nino) that is a different color from unit 1
b) Blade mage that is a different color from unit 1 and 2a
c) Brave archer (e.g.: Klein)
d) Firesweep archer/healer (e.g.: BH!Lyn, Faye, AOTB!Veronica)

You should have three units with one of them being a Dancer/Singer, and there should be no duplicate colors unless it is colorless. I highly recommend including a Firesweep nuke on your team. BH!Lyn does not have Firesweep Bow naturally, but Sacae's Blessing should simulate it enough.

— — — — — — —

Enemy Phase team:

1. Pick A!Tiki or VL!Ike.
2. Pick Nowi (inherit Moonbow/Glimmer) or Fjorm.
3. Pick Fae (inherit Lightning Breath and Moonbow/Glimmer) or any green unit with Distant Counter (and give them a Special if they do not already have one).

You should have three units, all of them have different colors, and all of them can counter attack at any range.

— — — — — — —

Once you have tested both teams out, prioritize investing in the team that you find easier to win with as well as other units similar to them. I do not recommend investing too much into VL!Ike or Fjorm unless you plan to whale for them when they appear on Legendary Foci. A!Tiki and Nowi are more accessible since they are available in the 3* and 4* summoning pool. Similarly, I do not recommend investing too much in BH!Lyn or AOTB!Veronica unless you plan to whale for them.

like who is just good for 'insta fodder" (like for hinata, i'm basically grinding him for the buckler, or whatever, and giving it to someone else, i don't really like him and he's 3*).

Do NOT fodder Hinata for Buckler. Fury 3 is infinitely more valuable.

In fact, unless you find a build that specifically states that it uses a defensive Special, do NOT use defensive Specials at all. Defensive Specials have a very niche application with certain Player Phase melee builds, but other wise, they suck.

Sophia is good if your team needs her niche, but she is mostly just used in Arena Assault. The other two are only good in Arena Assault in my opinion; you can make them work in Arena, but it will take a lot of investment and support from teammates.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, daisy jane said:

Questions Time!! :)

I have 241/300 people in my barracks. And as this game hates me, i have a gazillion duplicates of characters I'm not really sure about.. 

I have For Swords:
2 5* Mia. 
4 4* Ares 
3 4* Elliwood and 1 3* Elliwood 
3 4* Ogma, & 2 3* Ogma
3 4* Caeda, & 2 3* Caeda 
3 3* Selena
2 4* Soilel
2 4* Silph

2 4* Roy + 3 3* Roy (Original recipe)
1 4* Chrom + 2 3* Chrom
1 4* Lon'qu, 1 3* Lon'qu
1 4* Athena, 2 3* Athena 

(I have 3 Olivias, this is a project already)
I started with the Caeda's because that's what? + 5 once i'm done? and I figure i can grind for feathers or what not, but i'm more wondering who to put the time and effort in? like who is just good for 'insta fodder" (like for hinata, i'm basically grinding him for the buckler, or whatever, and giving it to someone else, i don't really like him and he's 3*). should I just take my time and train all of them eventually?

Mia is an excellent sword user, so I'd definitely recommend using her. She also doesn't have useful skills for fodder, so that helps with that (Flashing Blade is usually an inferior choice for an A-passive). Check which one has the better nature (+Atk or +Spd are the best boons for her, and, of course, are also the worst banes), and you can use the lesser one for a merge.

Soleil is also an excellent sword user with a good kit. She can be handy for promotion, and she also comes with the Firesweep Sword, which can be a very nice player phase weapon. I'd recommend building her.

If you need a sword cav, I would opt for Ares over Eliwood, as Ares is superior to Eliwood.

Caeda's fine if you like her and want to do a +10 merge project. I would like to point out that a 5*+10 merge project will take a long time and will consume a substantial amount of feathers, so you should make sure you pick a character you really like before you set out to do that. I think you should prioritize building up a robust roster that can tackle Arena Assault and the Squad Assault challenges before you start trying to make 5*+10 characters, but if you're interested in maybe making a 5*+10 of her in the future, it's not too early to start saving up copies of her though. As for Caeda herself, she's a decent flying sword unit. Her Prf weapon is good, and she has access to class buffs, so she's a viable option if you're in need of a red flier.

Selena is used as fodder for Reposition, Hinata for Fury (using him for Buckler is a waste, Fury's a much more valuable and handy skill), Lonqu for Vantage, Roy for Triangle Adept, and Athena for Moonbow. The remaining swordies tend not to be so useful for fodder.

As for whether or not to train up all the units, I would say, no, not unless you like them all. There's a large cast, so I'd focus on characters that you like first and foremost. With the right investment, all of the characters are at least usable.

Now, for Sophia, Henry, and Raigh. Of those, Sophia makes for an excellent Raðurraven mage. Give her Triangle Adept and Bowbreaker, and she'll be a steadfast counter to bow units in the Arena. She's also a pretty common summon, so it's easy enough to make a 4*+10 copy if you wanted to do that. As for Henry or Raigh, I don't think they're worth investing in, unless you like them. They're always going to be towards the bottom of the red mage totem pole.

(like for hinata, i'm basically grinding him for the buckler, or whatever, and giving it to someone else, i don't really like him and he's 3*)

As XRay says, you shouldn't bother with Buckler because Fury is much more useful on a low-budget or free-to-play account.

The Buckler skill line is extremely niche, really only finding common use on frail Brave weapon users (Elincia with Escutcheon) and Basilikos users (Raven and Linus with Pavise).

Sophia is decent on a low budget as a Raudhrraven user with Triangle Adept and either Bowbreaker or G Tomebreaker. Sophia is top-tier red tome when invested in, though, but it requires hard-to-obtain skills (Raudhrowl from Katarina or Canas, Close Counter from Takumi or Winter Tharja).

Henry is hard to make work without serious investment. He runs virtually the same set as Sophia, but not quite as well due to his much lower Atk stat.

Raigh is rather mediocre, even with investment. He's decent for Arena Assault because he naturally comes with Raudhrwolf and can be used as a cavalry counter.

Note that because all three of them are available as 3- and 4-star pulls, they're all very easy to get to +10 at either 4-star or 5-star rarity (depending on how much you want to invest in them).

14 minutes ago, Astellius said:

They're always going to be towards the bottom of the red mage totem pole.

Raigh is at the bottom due to having a stat spread that is too balanced. Henry is in the middle because he's actually a decent tank when invested in.

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Raigh is at the bottom due to having a stat spread that is too balanced. Henry is in the middle because he's actually a decent tank when invested in.

Different tier lists result in different rankings, I suppose. Gamepress puts him in the bottom 4 red mages, and I'd personally consider him to be down somewhere near the bottom as well. But one nice feature about this game is that every character can be built to where they can be useful, should one want to put sufficient investment into them.

thanks so much you guys. 
I'm not sure (someone told me, but i forgot) how to figure out Boons/Banes, and what they are plus/minus in. 
Okay so grind Hinata for Fury and Lon'qu for Vantage. Got it. 
I did mention this in the Offical Pull Thread, i don't think i get the point of a unit that can kill themselves, but apparently it's worth it hehe so i'll try tomae it work for my units. 

To be honest i've never done Arena assault or anything like that. i should look at my entire roster, and come back with some more advice :)

4 hours ago, daisy jane said:

I'm not sure (someone told me, but i forgot) how to figure out Boons/Banes, and what they are plus/minus in. 

It is easiest to check their natures is when they are still level 1. You can check their level 1 stats online at Gamepedia's level 1 stats table . The numbers displayed in that table are for neutral stats.

If the unit is not level 1 anymore, train the unit until it is level 20 or more, and then go to the Unlock Potential screen and see their level 1 stats at a higher rarity.

If the unit is 5* and not level 1, then you will have to train it to about level 38+ to figure out their stats.

Gamepedia is experimenting with listing all the stats for all natures for all levels, but it might not be fully accurate. You can find that info on a character's page.

I recommend keeping a neutral nature of every 3* and 4* unit and favorite them with a special color so you can quickly compare other units to your favorited neutral one without the need to go online every time.

In my opinion, Vantage is a niche skill and it is not great outside of a few specific builds. So unless you are spamming those builds, you will only need about 2 or 3 at most if you use them at all. I generally use Lon'qu for Glimmer, but I recommend saving a few for Vantage just in case you ever plan to utilize those builds.

I recommend checking the nature of every unit in your Barracks and if you have 3* or 4* duplicates, you should change some of those duplicates with bad natures into Combat Manuals to save Barracks space. Generally, anything with -Atk is a bad nature unless the unit is Azama or Wrys where -Atk is preferred, although they can use -Spd as well.

To be honest i've never done Arena assault or anything like that.

I recommend participating in it even if you are not good at it. You still get rewards for participating in Arena and Arena Assault.

Edited by XRay

What do you mean by grind? They don't have to have actually learned the skill to give it to someone else, and the most recent update apparently made it so you don't have to be Lv 20 to Upgrade Rarity, so leveling them for going from 3S to 4S isn't necessary any more.

I did mention this in the Offical Pull Thread, i don't think i get the point of a unit that can kill themselves, but apparently it's worth it hehe so i'll try to make it work for my units.

Fury allows the addition of extra stats in exchange for damage after battle(you already knew this, yes, but sometimes it helps to see all the data in one spot). If you should happen to run Falchion, Renewal, Sol, Noontime, or sometimes Aether, this fixes the problem as you'll heal off the Fury damage. Even disregarding this, there are Units that want the extra stats badly enough to just deal with the after-battle damage, either because they're suicide bomber type Units who just want to deal a bunch of damage before they die anyways, or because they're designed around slaughtering everyone on the map fast enough that they can't get counterattack-killed. Fury can also be run with Desperation and/or Brash Assault to help you reach that HP threshold quickly and then mow everyone down without giving them a chance to counter. X-Ray and Ice Dragon would know more about the actual uses of Fury than I would, as I've never managed to successfully make a Fury user work, I just know some of the theory behind it.

4 hours ago, Astellius said:

But one nice feature about this game is that every character can be built to where they can be useful, should one want to put sufficient investment into them.

That doesn't change the fact that Henry is an objectively good tank. Raigh can be made to be "usable". Henry can be made to be "good". That's a huge difference.

I'm still skeptical about Gamepress's tier list because they aren't particularly transparent about how they tier units, and they seem to completely miss the mark on less commonly used units where it sometimes just feels like they're just guessing.

3 hours ago, daisy jane said:

I did mention this in the Offical Pull Thread, i don't think i get the point of a unit that can kill themselves, but apparently it's worth it hehe so i'll try tomae it work for my units. 

The main thing about Fury is the fact that most game modes don't require a unit to survive more than one or two rounds of combat. It often doesn't matter if a unit takes 6 non-lethal damage after combat because if the unit is done fighting, it's done fighting and doesn't care how much HP it has.

Furthermore, there are skills that activate at low HP, and Fury is a generally safe way to get those skills to activate.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

That doesn't change the fact that Henry is an objectively good tank. Raigh can be made to be "usable". Henry can be made to be "good". That's a huge difference.

I'm still skeptical about Gamepress's tier list because they aren't particularly transparent about how they tier units, and they seem to completely miss the mark on less commonly used units where it sometimes just feels like they're just guessing.

Seriously? This isn't the place to air out your complaints with a tier list. This is the QnA thread. Let's just limit it to that, not anything more.

26 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Seriously? This isn't the place to air out your complaints with a tier list. This is the QnA thread. Let's just limit it to that, not anything more.

Personally, I think wrong information is worse than no information---which is why I hate a lot of FEH related tier lists.

Considering a Q&A thread is a place to get information, yeah...

1 minute ago, Astellius said:

What information did I provide that is "wrong"?

You pointed towards the gamepress tier list, he expressed a minor concern over how reliable it is, and then you flew off the handle rather than explaining whether the gamepress tier list is, in fact, reliable.

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

You pointed towards the gamepress tier list, he expressed a minor concern over how reliable it is, and then you flew off the handle rather than explaining whether the gamepress tier list is, in fact, reliable.

No, I said this isn't the place to discuss that. I adhere to that. I'm fine talking about the Gamepress tier list, but not here, because this isn't the proper place for such a discussion.

11 minutes ago, Astellius said:

No, I said this isn't the place to discuss that. I adhere to that. I'm fine talking about the Gamepress tier list, but not here, because this isn't the proper place for such a discussion.

You don't think discussing whether some evidence you brought up to support a certain claim, e.g. whether Raigh is good or not, is admissible is relevant in a Q&A thread where you tried to say Raigh is good?

Like, seriously? Just write a couple of lines about why Raigh is good, or hell, even copy and paste from the gamepress tier list (assuming they have an explanation paragraph or something), or just drop your claim and move on.

Edit: Personally I think Raigh is good, but personally I put every single tome above the 50% percentile in heroes. Since -blade & good buffers exist. There's no reason to use Raigh over Tharja, who he'd get the -blade tome from, but that doesn't mean he's not good. It just means he's outclassed.

Edited by DehNutCase

4 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Has Heroes become very slow and often outright unresponsive?

It has not for me, although it does get slow sometimes. For me, the slowness is usually due to my data or wifi connection. A quick reset via switching airplane mode on and off usually does the trick. If not, then I move to an area with better reception or faster wifi.

31 minutes ago, Astellius said:

You're technically right, but you can also NOT answer the other person's arguments, thus ending the discussion permanently.

27 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

You don't think discussing whether some evidence you brought up to support a certain claim, e.g. whether Raigh is good or not, is admissible is relevant in a Q&A thread where you tried to say Raigh is good?

Like, seriously? Just write a couple of lines about why Raigh is good, or hell, even copy and paste from the gamepress tier list (assuming they have an explanation paragraph or something), or just drop your claim and move on.

Edit: Personally I think Raigh is good, but personally I put every single tome above the 50% percentile in heroes. Since -blade & good buffers exist. There's no reason to use Raigh over Tharja, who he'd get the -blade tome from, but that doesn't mean he's not good. It just means he's outclassed.

Or you can answer the original question, instead of arguing.  Maybe make a topic airing your grievances with tier lists in general, and why the methodology is flawed.  In the end, it's an opinion about a video game.

32 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Has Heroes become very slow and often outright unresponsive?

Sometimes, but I think that probably has something to do with the user's movement/location

36 minutes ago, eclipse said:

And now, a question from me:

What makes a unit a good Wrath candidate?  I'm not looking for a specific unit, but rather the role(s) they should fill.

Wrath with a counter A-slot gives you excellent counter-kill on EP and the Wrath effect lets it keep a good player phase, albeit limited by melee range and bad mobility. The main problem is that CC -blade is pretty much strictly better unless you expect to run into a bunch of Dull Ranged effects---or your team sucks at buffing.

Beyond that it's basically the more aggressive version of Renewal---I run Noontime Wrath Nephenee*, for example, giving her a reasonable mix of damage and sustain. Nothing I'd bring to a serious run, but more than good enough for something like TT when she's a bonus unit. (And I'd just let her auto-battle the second hardest for score.)

*Edit: The noontime isn't needed, strictly speaking. A damage special also works if you expect to OHKO a lot of the time---Neph is fast enough that you can Noontime, eat counter, Noontime again with reasonable reliability, though, and you do need a way to have her get enough hp not to die to the counter.

Edited by DehNutCase

10 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Wrath with a counter A-slot gives you excellent counter-kill on EP and the Wrath effect lets it keep a good player phase, albeit limited by melee range and bad mobility. The main problem is that CC -blade is pretty much strictly better unless you expect to run into a bunch of Dull Ranged effects---or your team sucks at buffing.

What is CC fodder. :P:

Sounds like someone that can counter at both ranges, and maybe take a hit.  That gives me some ideas.  Thanks~!

@eclipse There's also the offensive options, and I find that the candidate pool should generally consist of: a) units who do extra damage on specials; b) units who do more frequent specials; or c) both. For the latter option, it's pretty much just reds in Ayra, Fir and Karel. Outside of that, you're pretty much looking at Wo Dao or Slaying weapons, or legendary versions thereof such as Basilikos.