"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

+Def/-Spd would be better for EP-focused builds. Roy doesn't have enough Spd to avoid doubles. Even if you dedicate to his awkward Spd he is still likely to get doubled because they reach 40+ with ease.

That -Spd Roy would have good mixed bulk which complements his Binding Blade very well for dragon slaying. 27 Spd is enough to get consistently doubled and you can abuse that with Fierce Breath (or any other variant) to always counter with a 2-turn Special (like Moonbow). Even better if you give him Wrath to boost his output.

If you don't have any of the more expensive skills available you can also use Close Def from Joshua and stack it with the same seal which gives Roy a mixed bulk of 44/41/40. He probably wants Guards in this case to limit the damage to him as much as possible.

Edited by The Priest

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any use for a -Atk +Def S!Innes besides HM battery? 30 Atk when you don't have something like Wing Sword seems pretty pathetic. Especially since I already have a +Atk Cherche, who doesn't give a damn about the speed difference. He doesn't have any good fodder either. I never use rallys. Overall I am just really disappointed that this is the guy who broke my last pity rate for Ryouma and want to somehow recoup from the loss.

How the hell do I build a PVE team that is not 1/2 dps + dancer cheerleaders? Trying to build -HP +Def GrimaF for an Earth PVE team and I'm stuck on her B skill and Special choice; with my current team setup (L!Ike, Blade-SummerCatria, BuffBotGroomMarth) I don't have a way to buff her Res while I CAN pump her Def to 48/50; I have no sacred coins left and my only good seals are QR2 (on Ike to combo with Aether/WardingBreath/Vantage), Atk/Def Bond 3 (on Grima), Hone Spd 2 (on Marth), Brazen Atk/Res (on Blade Catria). I was going for something not too expensive like Expiration/Bonfire/Dragonskin/???/Res Smoke (debuffing enemy Res for Catria)/AtkDefBond and I'm stuck! I'm trying to go for cheapish builds here

I see everyone recommend QR3 for GrimaF but how is she gonna keep it up for more than 1/2 battles? She doesn't have the Res to take 0 damage from mages and Specials from any enemy WILL wear her down, and while Guard could be good it would have the same problem of QR3: how do I keep it up without a healer on the team (double colorless on a single team? nah...) or Aether (I don't have anything to accelerate her CD charge, no Flashing/Heavy Blade seals)? I'm THIS close to giving her Sol+QR2, she DOES have adaptive damage at 2 Range after all so high-res physical enemies would be the only ones she would struggle doing damage to. Should I give her the Brazen Atk/Res seal for something like Bonfire/Dragonskin/Vantage/Brazen AtkRes? Would it be better than Sol/Dragonksin/QR2/AtkDefBond? What am I missing?

And talking about B slot in PvE, how good are Chill Skills in Pve? They don't seem all that hot to me when they're debuffing only 1 enemy out 6+ on the map

1 hour ago, Koumal8 said:

I see everyone recommend QR3 for GrimaF but how is she gonna keep it up for more than 1/2 battles?

She doesn't. Quick Riposte female Grima is pretty much designed to kill one thing and then sit out for the rest of the map. Alternatively, you bring a staffie.

If you want her to have sustain, you should use Desperation instead and focus on a Spd-based build.

22 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

She doesn't. Quick Riposte female Grima is pretty much designed to kill one thing and then sit out for the rest of the map. Alternatively, you bring a staffie.

If you want her to have sustain, you should use Desperation instead and focus on a Spd-based build.

A Spd focused build isn't really an option my current resources, and I don't see how Desperation + Spd stacking can give her durability on EP; anything to say about my question on Chill Skills in PvE?

2 hours ago, Nanima said:

Any use for a -Atk +Def S!Innes besides HM battery? 30 Atk when you don't have something like Wing Sword seems pretty pathetic. Especially since I already have a +Atk Cherche, who doesn't give a damn about the speed difference. He doesn't have any good fodder either. I never use rallys. Overall I am just really disappointed that this is the guy who broke my last pity rate for Ryouma and want to somehow recoup from the loss.

I don't have him, but I don't think -Atk will hinder him all that much if you give him a solid PP focus with proper support from blessings and/or flying team allies; even if you already have Cherche, maybe you could think about building a second flying team? His competition would be what? Gerome (a.k.a worse Cherche, Innes' speed probably makes him a better tank than him)? Beruka (but she plays way differently)? Def Feint seems like a fun skill to play around with; infantry units with bad ivs have it hard, but Cav/Flying units with bad ivs can still make up for it with movement-specific buffs, believe me

17 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

and I don't see how Desperation + Spd stacking can give her durability on EP;

Female Robin has zero enemy-phase sustain on her own. Desperation is there to give her a player-phase option after you've expended her one enemy-phase round of combat.

If you want her to have enemy-phase sustain, you either need to run her on a Ward-stacking team or pack a staffie.

18 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

anything to say about my question on Chill Skills in PvE?

Chill skills are more useful the fewer enemies there are, so they're of more use in the Arena than in PvE. In PvE modes, I'd use Smoke or Ploy skills instead (or Feint skills, though they're still stupidly rare).

On the other hand, if you don't have any other skill to put in the B slot, using a Chill skill is generally fine since debuffing one enemy is still better than not having a functional B skill at all.

I was testing some skills in my lephraim today and something wasn´t quite right...His weapon more or less makes you do follow up atks if everything is in place, ok. But how the interaction between his weapon, galeforce and desperation would work?

Sometimes galeforce should proc but it doesn´t, it´s kind of strange and i don´t even know if desperation is making any difference. =/

5 hours ago, Eilanzer said:

I was testing some skills in my lephraim today and something wasn´t quite right...His weapon more or less makes you do follow up atks if everything is in place, ok. But how the interaction between his weapon, galeforce and desperation would work?

Sometimes galeforce should proc but it doesn´t, it´s kind of strange and i don´t even know if desperation is making any difference. =/

Galeforce activates at the end of combat, after you have returned to the map, if it is fully charged, giving you an extra action. It can only activate on player phase and only once per turn.

Desperation moves your follow-up attack to before your opponent's counterattack if its conditions are met. It does not automatically grant you a follow-up attack.

17 hours ago, Thane said:

What would a good nature be for a regular Roy, especially if I use him as an enemy phase? I've got one -HP +Spd and two -Spd +Def. Avoid doubles or use his slow Speed to get more special charges? 

16 hours ago, The Priest said:

+Def/-Spd would be better for EP-focused builds. Roy doesn't have enough Spd to avoid doubles. Even if you dedicate to his awkward Spd he is still likely to get doubled because they reach 40+ with ease.

That -Spd Roy would have good mixed bulk which complements his Binding Blade very well for dragon slaying. 27 Spd is enough to get consistently doubled and you can abuse that with Fierce Breath (or any other variant) to always counter with a 2-turn Special (like Moonbow). Even better if you give him Wrath to boost his output.

If you don't have any of the more expensive skills available you can also use Close Def from Joshua and stack it with the same seal which gives Roy a mixed bulk of 44/41/40. He probably wants Guards in this case to limit the damage to him as much as possible.

I am quoting you just in case you did not get a notification that your question was answered.

If you want to run something other than Guard on your B slot, you can offload Guard to your A slot with Steady Stance 4.

If you have the dough to spare, you can try Aether-Special Spiral for sustainability during long battles, although it is kind of hard to set it up. You will need two stacks of Quickened Pulse and/or Infantry Pulse to get Aether ready in round one.

6 hours ago, Nanima said:

His nature is far from ideal, but SA!Innes [-Atk, +Def] is basically Minerva +Spd and her low Atk does not really hinder her too much, so SA!Innes is definitely still usable.

Also, SA!Innes is great fodder; he got one of the the best Player Phase axe in the game. I will just quote myself since I am lazy:

On 11/28/2018 at 1:14 PM, XRay said:

She is really good fodder though. Shell Lance the best lance in the game for non-armor fast Player Phase nukes. For their first round performance, Shell Lance is undisputedly the best lance for them, as the Spd +2 on top of Spd Refinement is a pretty important boost. With Desperation active, the only thing you will lose from running [Shell Lance, Moonbow, Heavy Blade/Flashing Blade] over [Slaying Lance, Moonbow, Speed +3] is 1 stat point in Spd; in return for Spd -1, you gain Atk/Def/Res +2.

6 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

How the hell do I build a PVE team that is not 1/2 dps + dancer cheerleaders?

6 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

with my current team setup (L!Ike, Blade-SummerCatria, BuffBotGroomMarth)

8 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

I'm trying to go for cheapish builds here

I personally do not recommend running Player Phase nukes without a Dancer/Singer on the team, since it is harder to extract everyone out of enemy range with non-Dancers/Singers.

I would hold off on building a team if you do not have the resources right now. In my opinion, it is better to wait and conserve your resources to build a cohesive team later instead of rushing to build a team that does not work too well together. Blessed Gardens is not going anywhere and GHB Elite 2 quests will still be around for another 5 months.

I also discourage the use of Vantage if you are not sure what you are doing. Vantage for most Enemy Phase units is useless at best and detrimental at worst since that slot could have been equipped with a better skill. Outside of HATF!Catria, none of your other units on the team is suitable for Vantage in my opinion. If the unit cannot achieve 75+ Atk (80+ if enemies are armored, 85+ if enemies are +10 or from a higher difficulty, 95+ if armored and +10) consistently, or simulate it in some way, that unit is not suitable for Vantage. Most Enemy Phase units cannot kill enemies in one hit, so Vantage is pointless since the enemy will still be alive to kill your unit.

Blade-Counter-Vantage:
+Atk
Blade tomes — Laevatein
(Any Assist)
Moonbow — Glimmer — Miracle — (Any Special)
Close Counter — Distant Counter — (Any A that boosts Atk)
Vantage
Res Smoke — Def Smoke — Savage Blow
Brazen Atk/Res — Savage Blow

Pain-Counter-Vantage:
+Atk
Pain [Wrathful Staff]
(Any Assist)
Miracle
Close Counter — (Any A that boosts Atk)
Vantage
Savage Blow
Savage Blow — Brazen Atk/Res

Dark Mystletainn-Vantage:
+Atk
Dark Mystletainn
(Any Assist)
Bonfire — Blue Flame
Distant Counter — (Any A that boosts Atk)
Vantage
Def Smoke — Savage Blow — (Any C)

Meisterschwert-Vantage:
+Atk
Meisterschwert
(Any Assist)
Moonbow — (Any Assist)
Distant Counter — (Any A that boosts Atk)
Vantage
Def Smoke — Savage Blow — (Any C)

5 hours ago, Eilanzer said:

Galeforce would not trigger against units that cannot counterattack. Galeforce takes 5 actions to charge. Heavy Blade will only speed it up to 2 charges per unit's attack, so against enemies that cannot counterattack, LL!Ephraim will only gain 4 charges. If the enemy has Guard, it will also make it harder for him to trigger Galeforce.

Desperation does not do anything for charging Specials. All Desperation does is moving your follow up attack to right after your first attack if the unit can make a follow up attack. It does not guarantee a follow up attack.

Cannot edit my above comment. Never mind, I did not Galeforce. Never mind, I did Galeforce. My post went up in order.

3 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

Pulled my second Ylgr. I'm assuming +HP/-Spd is better than +Res/-Spd so she'll have more HP in case she needs to take a physical hit?   

Yeah, +HP is better. She has pretty crap Res, so even with +Res, she will probably still die if she gets doubled.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

I didn't, actually. That's weird.

@The Priest did not quote or tag you, so I just wanted to make sure you got his answer. I think you only get notified if you got quoted or tagged.

Edited by XRay

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am quoting you just in case you did not get a notification that your question was answered.

If you want to run something other than Guard on your B slot, you can offload Guard to your A slot with Steady Stance 4.

If you have the dough to spare, you can try Aether-Special Spiral for sustainability during long battles, although it is kind of hard to set it up. You will need two stacks of Quickened Pulse and/or Infantry Pulse to get Aether ready in round one.

I didn't, actually. That's weird.

Er, I don't have Steady Stance 4 nor Special Spiral. That's pretty darn expensive build. I do have Steady Breath, though I don't know if I want that on a character I'm building on a whim (these damn November banners + bad luck on the Legendary!).

If I'm not running Sorcery Blade on Ylgr (my Arena team for next season doesn't have a tome user so Sorcery Blade is worthless on her), could this work on her?

+DEF/-ATK
Sylgr
Draw Back
Glimmer
Close Counter
Null Follow-Up 3
SPD Tactic 3
Hardy Bearing 3 Seal

@Ice Dragon @XRay so then if i kill an enemy during desperation atk, he will not counter me and galeforce will not proc?!

if im not wrong is something like this then> (atk)(enemy counter)(sigmund counter) kill [galeforce proc]

but now something like this is happening?!> (atk)(desperation counter) kill [no galeforce proc]

7 minutes ago, Eilanzer said:

@Ice Dragon @XRay so then if i kill an enemy during desperation atk, he will not counter me and galeforce will not proc?!

if im not wrong is something like this then> (atk)(enemy counter)(sigmund counter) kill [galeforce proc]

but now something like this is happening?!> (atk)(desperation counter) kill [no galeforce proc]

Yes.

In practice, how good is a Link skill on Lucina with her Future Vision?

I've got a spare Laevatein I could use to give her Atk/Def Link, but I don't know if it'd be better to just go with Desperation or something instead. I know it synergizes great on paper, but it feels like most teams will use buffs anyway, so needing to get buffed via using her skill seems like it could end up unnecessary. And then she has no Desperation to engage futher enemies with if needed. I just got her, so I haven't used her enough to really tell what works best yet.

1 hour ago, ILikeKirbys said:

If I'm not running Sorcery Blade on Ylgr (my Arena team for next season doesn't have a tome user so Sorcery Blade is worthless on her), could this work on her?

+DEF/-ATK
Sylgr
Draw Back
Glimmer
Close Counter
Null Follow-Up 3
SPD Tactic 3
Hardy Bearing 3 Seal

Ylgr has shit bulk, so I would not give Close Counter to her. I would just use Fjorm as the bonus unit instead.

43 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

In practice, how good is a Link skill on Lucina with her Future Vision?

I've got a spare Laevatein I could use to give her Atk/Def Link, but I don't know if it'd be better to just go with Desperation or something instead. I know it synergizes great on paper, but it feels like most teams will use buffs anyway, so needing to get buffed via using her skill seems like it could end up unnecessary. And then she has no Desperation to engage futher enemies with if needed. I just got her, so I haven't used her enough to really tell what works best yet.

Most units need their B slot to function. The only units who can function without it are one shot nukes, Brave nukes, Player Phase nukes with Desperation on their Weapon, and Enemy Phase units with Quick Riposte on their Weapon.

Links and Feints are just bad for performance in my opinion since the C slot can do the same thing via buffs and Ploys.

@ILikeKirbysYou could give Ylgr Close Counter if you're using Cloud Mayougi, which actually does really well in the 714-724 list. But that weapon is rather rare. Still, thought I should mention it if you're ever able to give her that opportunity

Edited by silveraura25

So I created a new account and I was pretty lucky as I pulled a Nina, a laevatein, a L!Lucina from the Legendary banner and a free pull Istrar from the vantage banner (Veronica is my free CYL2 unit). Leavatain is +Def -Res which is nice as her Def with Fury and her B skill  reaches 46 and with brave Veronica's C skill 50 and her Res isn't anything crazy so it doesn't matter. Now Nina she was bad natured and couldn't do anything with her so I foddered her off to L!Lucina for her Spd/Res Link. Said Lucina is +Hp -Res which is not bad considering my luck with natures. So when using future vision on Leavatain they both get +6 to all their stats, this means that Leavatain gets 24 more damage (I think this is how it works) and a statline of 65/40/46/28. Now Lucina that has B!Veronica nearby always, gains the statline of 54/44/35/27 (Counting close guard). And then is Ishtar which is +Hp -Def which is weird a bit and aside from desperation I don't know what to do to help her.

So, should I run Close counter on Lucina? She has nice defences with links and Veronica nearby and can help her get into "enemy territory" without dying and doing nothing. Also should Ishtar run Fury and desperation (just some Ideas for builds)? As she doesn't have the best defences, she can't count on getting hit to reach the desperation range and aside from the whole Hp thing it also raises her stats. Any good C skills for Leavatain? She is getting future visioned on every turn so her C skill is a bit useless and I don't know what else to run her. Also who should get the flashing blade seal (Lucina gets 44 Spd and Ishtar gets 45/46 Spd when attacking so they can both support it quite well) and what seal should the other one run (heavy blade is occupied by Leavatain). Now a final one, any good bows aside from firesweep and mulagir for B!Lyn?

Then again thanks in advance for helping me create another great team.

Edited by SuperNova125

3 hours ago, XRay said:

Most units need their B slot to function. The only units who can function without it are one shot nukes, Brave nukes, Player Phase nukes with Desperation on their Weapon, and Enemy Phase units with Quick Riposte on their Weapon.

Links and Feints are just bad for performance in my opinion since the C slot can do the same thing via buffs and Ploys.

It's too bad, since it does mesh perfectly with her assist but I'll likely have those buffs on her from allied C skills anyway. I feel like I should throw it onto her anyway since I can't imagine anyone else possibly using that Link skill better, but I feel bad killing a Laevatein for it. (even if merging her hardly accomplishes anything either)

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Is there an established rule of thumb yet for Steady Breath vs Stance 4? What builds/ situations are each better for?

Thanks in advance for answering such a vague question!

Steady Breath is an offensive skill designed to get your Special charged to kill your opponent. Steady Stance is a defensive skill designed to prevent your opponent from charging their Special, allowing you to wall longer.

The question to ask is if you are more in need of the opponent to die or more in need of you to not die.

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

It's too bad, since it does mesh perfectly with her assist but I'll likely have those buffs on her from allied C skills anyway. I feel like I should throw it onto her anyway since I can't imagine anyone else possibly using that Link skill better, but I feel bad killing a Laevatein for it. (even if merging her hardly accomplishes anything either)

Bow Lucina has Brave Bow access, which fixes most of the sustain issues from dropping desperation (since Brave Effect is just a flat out better Desperation Brash combo). There's no reason not to give her Link, particularly since the type of team that wants her buffing ability don't have access to Type Buffs, and Tactics Buffs are slot inefficient. (And randomly terrible in Aether Raids & GC and the like).

The only real problem with her is that she doesn't mix well with dancers---not only is she partially supportive in her best role, which steps on the dancers' toes, she also doesn't get danced very well because she only gets 1 free swap a turn, which makes her a bad dance target if you're trying to hit and run. (Future Visions is almost strictly better than Repo, but utility after being danced is one of the situations where it's not, since if she used her 'free' swap to buff/get buffed she can't do a repo with 2 swaps.)

Her best team is probably inside a mostly defensive infantry lineup where she functions as Infantry Reinhardt (exploding the biggest threat with like 6 threat range) and then gets repo'd out of the way for your DC guys to go in and counter-kill sweep. In that role Atk/Spd, Atk/Def, Atk/Res Link all have their uses to improve first round coverage, which is a lot more important than sustain.

Edit: My tentative rating for her is around 9.5/10, incidentally, but only if she's running a Link skill. Without a Link she's in the 8.5 range as a good, but easily replaceable offensive unit.

Edited by DehNutCase

13 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Bow Lucina has Brave Bow access, which fixes most of the sustain issues from dropping desperation (since Brave Effect is just a flat out better Desperation Brash combo). There's no reason not to give her Link, particularly since the type of team that wants her buffing ability don't have access to Type Buffs, and Tactics Buffs are slot inefficient. (And randomly terrible in Aether Raids & GC and the like).

@Alkaid

Thogn is just flat out better than Brave Bow+ unless you're running Death Blow 4, in which case they're pretty much the same as each other. There's no real point to running Brave Bow+ unless you need her to be a mini-Reinhardt, at which point you may as well just use Reinhardt.

Sustain is only an issue if you're going up against opponents with Distant Counter a lot. I personally just run her with Bride Lyn with Candlelight+, but that's mostly because she's not on my Arena team or my Arena Assault lead team, so I don't have to care about score.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@Alkaid

Thogn is just flat out better than Brave Bow+ unless you're running Death Blow 4, in which case they're pretty much the same as each other. There's no real point to running Brave Bow+ unless you need her to be a mini-Reinhardt, at which point you may as well just use Reinhardt.

Sustain is only an issue if you're going up against opponents with Distant Counter a lot. I personally just run her with Bride Lyn with Candlelight+, but that's mostly because she's not on my Arena team or my Arena Assault lead team, so I don't have to care about score.

The problem with Reinhardt is that he can't buff Infantry for +6/+6, whereas Lucina could. The 9.5 rating I gave her is because she's the one infantry unit with 'good enough' combat stacked on top of horse level mobility and horse level buffing ability.

Edit: Mind, infantry teams are sub-optimal, but if we get enough people on Bow Lucina's level they wouldn't be.

Edited by DehNutCase