The Main Character's Personality

Thane

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself reusing this template in my FE-related fanfictions for the main protagonist.

The hero starts young, pathetic and self-deprecating, naive and idealistic. Wanting to prove themselves in spite of their flaws, and despite some others being critical of them. Part 1 of the plot is them trying to do just that, and they succeed to an extent.

Ultimately however, something happens which undermines all of the hero's efforts. They ultimately leave their home either being forced to or by their emotional desires.

In a foreign land, the hero becomes extremely apathetic towards everything. They abandon love of country, of idealistic cause, of even comrades; life itself becomes a meaningless charade for them.

After a time lapse during which the hero  is apathetic, they come across some endeavor which gradually shakes their apathy from them. This endeavor also improves their martial capabilities to notable level.

Once they are no longer stuck in the doldrum of not caring, they become a tempered soul. They keep a candle of idealism in their heart, but is not aglow with optimism and idealistic vigor. They'd rather fear the worst than hope for the best, but they choose to do neither. Instead, they focus on what is in front of them and do what they know they're capable of. Aloof, but as they'll frankly admit, they do care about others and about noble causes.

Only after they are tempered, do they prove in the end victorious over all.

Next main character definetly should not be Naive about the World. This issue ruined lords like Erika and Corrin where they still committed acts that could be considered blatantly stupid late in the story.

I think the next Lord should be like a combination of Marth and Alm, a person who grew up in a village from a young age, but knows they are from a royal family and have lost their kingdom and are taking refugee in a a local / ally village. I think the main lord should use some underhand tactics for recruitment (things like swindle other characters out of money, seduce members of the other army, make promises that aren't guaranteed to be fulfilled). It would definetly make the Lord's character more interesting and memorable.

I think maybe making the next lord be a standalone female character could be interesting given that most female lords in the series have always been accompanied by at least one male lord and usually overshadowed by them in some way. It would be a nice change of pace to have a standalone female characters as a main lord and see how they handle the situation, though I personally would prefer it if the game stuck to using a male lord.

I'd like a Lord who does the right thing for the wrong reasons. Helping people for recognition, beating bad guys for fun, and saving the world for self-preservation. I think this kind of character should be manipulative, and try to talk their allies into devotion with threats, bribes and lies, rather than compassion. That being said, the character should not be an antihero, as the edgy trope probably won't work in the fairytale style of storytelling we see in FE.

The reason why I'd like to see a villainous hero is because that type of character has the whole scale to go up when it comes to character growth, and the Lord finds out how useful allies are.

I'd really like to see a youthful lord from a ruined family trying to gain favor from more powerful ones. He'd be hardworking yet naive, but grows up as the game progresses. But what I want most is a lord who uses bows.