What about Anna?

I would prefer Anna to appear as an NPC. Having the series mascot as a playable unit always seemed weird to me. Awakening got away with it because it was supposed to be a send-off to the then dying series, but having her return in Fates, especially as DLC, just doesn't fit anymore. She's almost always been a more hidden character, appearing mostly in secret shops, optional modes, or hidden scenes, having her out in the open as a soldier feels off.

Speaking of secret shops, I think Anna should be taking the role of the trader that lets you exchange items between the two armies.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to give my opinion, I'd want her back in, regardless of her role. She's been in every FE game except Gaiden, and this remake is the perfect time to remedy that.

I'm not gonna lie, I honestly wouldn't mind her being a playable unit. While it definitely wouldn't be as special as it was in Awakening, I think it'd still be nice to have her in - even if it were to be as DLC. I personally really like her as a playable unit because 1. I love her design (especially her Awakening/Fates ones) 2. I really like her VA from Awakening/Fates. and 3. She's one of my favorite units from FE13/14... pretty much all reasons related to those games but still. Gotta love her.

I feel like Anna would be that Trader that somehow can get through the mountains to trade with both parties, defying all odds and logic that your main party can't switch sides/traverse the rubble but some random money-hungry trader can. It only makes sense for it to be Anna.

4 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I feel like Anna would be that Trader that somehow can get through the mountains to trade with both parties, defying all odds and logic that your main party can't switch sides/traverse the rubble but some random money-hungry trader can. It only makes sense for it to be Anna.

In defence of the traders being able to get around the plot convenient landslide in the original game, I imagine it's a lot easier to get one person across rough landscape than it is an entire army (also in the original game the traders apparently do it for free).

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

In defence of the traders being able to get around the plot convenient landslide in the original game, I imagine it's a lot easier to get one person across rough landscape than it is an entire army (also in the original game the traders apparently do it for free).

Oh yeah I forgot they did it for free. And IMO, I wouldn't really call the Gaiden cast an army. They seemed like 2 bands of warriors to me. 

59 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Oh yeah I forgot they did it for free. And IMO, I wouldn't really call the Gaiden cast an army. They seemed like 2 bands of warriors to me. 

Well Alm certainly managed to stomp the entire Rigel army with his motley crew. I think like most Fire Emblem games we're meant to assume that the forces we're fielding lie a bit more than the bare double digits they tend to be.

I think it would be cool to see her in this game, playable or not.

If she isn't playable, she could be the trader, which would be nice.

But one thing I want is Anna is in the game is Jake. Since the reason Anna was single in the others games was so Robin/Corrin could marry her, and in this game, since there isn't gonna be marriage, I would love if Jake showed up. It would be cool if Jake and Anna were the traders or something. Or both were playable, but separated by the landslide and join Alm and Celica to get to the other.

On 2/12/2017 at 6:07 PM, Azz said:

I think it would be cool to see her in this game, playable or not.

If she isn't playable, she could be the trader, which would be nice.

But one thing I want is Anna is in the game is Jake. Since the reason Anna was single in the others games was so Robin/Corrin could marry her, and in this game, since there isn't gonna be marriage, I would love if Jake showed up. It would be cool if Jake and Anna were the traders or something. Or both were playable, but separated by the landslide and join Alm and Celica to get to the other.

If they do that then both Jake and Anna could be axe users

they could "explain" how Jake becomes a promoted Axe user in FE12 and since Anna isn't a playable unit in 11/12 they can just make her an axe user like in Heroes

8 hours ago, Jedi said:

She'll probably be attached to the bonus dungeons the Alm & Celica amiibos unlock.

What about the Alm dungeon unlocks Jake, the Celica dungeon unlocks Anna, and both are axe users?

the Amiibos would be instant buy

On 2/5/2017 at 0:38 AM, Vaximillian said:

Gaiden is the only instalment where Anna's not present. What do you think, will they (or should they) add her to the remake?
She's pretty much the series mascot, it'd be nice to see her return in some capacity, not necessarily as a playable unit.

To be honest, I don't really think she's THE mascot. Marth fills that roll more appropriately. Anna is more of a staple.

Anna, while not the series mascot, is incredibly prominent in most of the recent games, so it would not surprise me if say, she were used to represent the whole series in Smash. A staple in a series like Fire Emblem is still a pretty huge role, even moreso than in Final Fantasy, a series with a similar sense of continuity which seems to add a staple every other game.

On 2/21/2017 at 5:52 PM, The DanMan said:

People oversell her importance to the series; I'd prefer if she didn't appear, but really don't care a ton either way.

Gustavos isn't too far off in comparing her to a Moogle. 

Anna's an important piece of FE iconography, just as moogles are to Final Fantasy.

So, while SoV will be just fine without her, it's still a nice in-series reference for fans to enjoy by having her appear, no matter how minor a role she plays.

5 hours ago, Altrosa said:

Gustavos isn't too far off in comparing her to a Moogle. 

Anna's an important piece of FE iconography, just as moogles are to Final Fantasy.

So, while SoV will be just fine without her, it's still a nice in-series reference for fans to enjoy by having her appear, no matter how minor a role she plays.

Where's the merch? Where's the recognizability outside the fandom? That's grossly overselling things.

I think Anna is immensely popular to fans of the last two games, as she's playable.

Up until Awakening Anna was just that girl Jake liked, and the nameless secret shop vendor / suspend game face.

She's definitely not some face of the franchise. Know what else is a staple of the franchise and has been in more games than Anna?

That's right folks - forest tiles. The new FE mascot!

1 hour ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I think Anna is immensely popular to fans of the last two games, as she's playable.

Up until Awakening Anna was just that girl Jake liked, and the nameless secret shop vendor / suspend game face.

She's definitely not some face of the franchise. Know what else is a staple of the franchise and has been in more games than Anna?

Actually if we count TMS Anna has been in an equal number of games

runs from the rabbid hate mob for that game

i think the fact she's one of the few FE characters to appear in a non playable capacity in TMS is saying something

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

1 hour ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

People within the fandom referred to Anna as the RNG goddess long before Awakening was around. So it wasn't really expressed as much before then but her unique status was in the consciousness of the fanbase.

Edited by Jotari

59 minutes ago, Jotari said:

People within the fandom referred to Anna as the RNG goddess long before Awakening was around. So it wasn't really expressed as much before then but her unique status was in the consciousness of the fanbase.

So a meme, like Dorcas then?

6 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Where's the merch? Where's the recognizability outside the fandom? That's grossly overselling things.

Um, I've actually seen any official FE merch outside of SE releases and keychains, maybe the cardgames. Does music count as merch?

But I think you may be grossly overselling FE as a money maker. FF technically has 3 to 4 times more games under it's umbrella, afterall.

Honestly, Anna may be better compared to the many Cids in FF games.

If she's here as more than a cameo than I sure hope that Jake would get a mention.

...Assuming that this is going to be the exact same Anna as the one who runs the Secret Shops in Archanea, of course.

I saw they add a food system so maybe they will add her as food vendor? Thought they are not clear details about this new thing but we will sure have more contents than original.

Hoping not unbalance issue to make it too similar to the original(joke)