How do supports work?

Harvey

Just out of curiosity, how does supports work and how do players get to know who supports who in FE6 and 7 without the guide? I read the instructions booklet for FE7 but it doesn't explain the affinities and all of that of what each unit has....

Edited by Harvey

Spend turns next to each other. Lots of turns. Can only get one support level per pair per chapter.  FE6 limits how many support points can be gained between all characters per chapter to 80. When Nils takes over the augury in FE7 you get the option to look at each character's support options. No such thing in FE6. Affinities determine what boosts a character gives when in support range with a support partner.

5 hours ago, Konnor97 said:

FE6 limits how many support points can be gained between all characters per chapter to 80.

I'm fairly sure the limit is 120, not 80.

As for the rest, might as well take a moment to note different supports require a different amount of standing together.  

For example, I'll just use Roy with Wolt (30+2 growth):

In FE6, you need 60 points to reach C, 60 to go C to B, and 80 to go from B to A.

So for Roy and Wolt, they start off halfway to a C support, with 30 default points, so they still need 15 turns of support building to reach C (30 points needed / 2 points/turn = 15 turns).  To get from C to B, they need 30 turns, and from B to A they need 40 turns.

On the support page, in the game. It shows a list of all the characters someone can support with. If you haven't recruited them yet it still shows their sprite, but its blacked out a little. At least thats how it is for FE7, haven't played FE6 so i'm not sure about it in that game.

1 hour ago, Hawk King said:

On the support page, in the game. It shows a list of all the characters someone can support with. If you haven't recruited them yet it still shows their sprite, but its blacked out a little. At least thats how it is for FE7, haven't played FE6 so i'm not sure about it in that game.

There's nothing like that in FE6.  Not even a post game support log.

...Yeah, it's really obvious it was the first game to use the system.