New Lord Ideas

Jotari

3 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

One thing I would like to see if maybe a knight captain as the protagonist (maybe have a proloque set of maps he goes through basic training then gets honored as a knight, then timeskip to later when after the chapter 1 mission he gets promoted to captain) actually see fault in his kingdom and try to change it from the inside (something I think conquest tried doing but ultimately failed) and pulling a page from Radiant Dawn, maybe the King/Queen's advisors overthrow them and the knight captain is the only one (along with his squad) to side with the king, and could then take a page from path of radiance with how Ike and the mercenaries stayed with Elincia. So then with him keeping his oath to his ruler, he tries to protect them and stop his kingdom from the political corruption. Basically I'm trying to describe Flynn from tales of vesperia/ the protagonist of Mercenaries Saga 2. As They both are knights/knight captains who deal with political corruption in their respective games. And I'm drawing from a bit of Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn since originally it started off strong with Ike being a non-lord but he then promotes to lord. IDK how well this would actually work, heck maybe even have the knight captain be female and maybe even be like a cavalier (like Sigurd was in genealogy part 1) that way they are always a viable unit.

I like the idea of a potential knight captain protagonist for the story angle. Having a main character who is tied the politics of a country like a lord without being one of the direct rulers or future rulers like almost every lord sounds cool.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that IS loves Sword Lords because swords are relatively "safe" weapons and the player ought to have something reliable to use.  Also in their favor is how prominent they are in people's consciousness as the staple fantasy weapon.

That being said, they ought to start introducing a Lord that doesn't wield swords for every Lord they introduce that does, just to keep things fresh.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I get that IS loves Sword Lords because swords are relatively "safe" weapons and the player ought to have something reliable to use.  Also in their favor is how prominent they are in people's consciousness as the staple fantasy weapon.

That being said, they ought to start introducing a Lord that doesn't wield swords for every Lord they introduce that does, just to keep things fresh.

Hmm. Let's see where they currently stand.

Number of Lords Who Are Sword Locked By Defualt

Marth, Alm, Seliph, Leif, Roy, Eliwood, Lyn, Erikia, Ike, Chrom

10 total (5 remain swordlocked including POR Ike)

Number of Lords Who Can Use A Different Weapon By Default

Celica, Sigurd, Hector, Ephraim, Micaiah, Corrin

6 total (although Corrin technically is sword locked for his first few chapters, still has an alternate weapon for tier 1. One might also be inclined to include Robin here)

So right now they're sitting at just over 2:1 on exclusive swordies to other weapon types. Of course the only lords who can't use swords at all are Ephraim and Micaiah. Rather than throw away swords for the sake of diversity, I'd rather they gave us some more dual weapon types at tier 1. It's really not that broken. At least compared to freaking cavaliers that get multiple weapon types, enhanced movement and canto. Lyn would have been sweet using bows at tier 1 (re my threat about how she should have been given Murgleis) and Ephraim taught Erikia how to use swords so I'd like to see him actually be able to use them for lore reasons at least (idk what second weapon Erikia should get to balance them out. Bows maybe? Would love it to be staves but that's not really workable under established GBA mechanics).

Edited by Jotari

Feel mixed about a pure magic lord. Celica in Echoes was one of my best units due to using swords and magic. Unless the game accommodates  a magical lord, it going to be a bigger hassle than it is worth. Just look at Micaiah and the problem she had not including the way the game progressed. 

Edited by Jingle Jangle

I want to see 2 things. First, I want to see a rogue lord. One that uses daggers, and has the locktouch ability. I think that is something we really havent seen yet. We have had sword lords, lords that are generals/axe users, cavalier lords, mage lords, and even flying and healer lords. I think rogue is really the only one we are missing at this point.

The other thing I want to see is a lord who is otherwise a lesser noble. They arent a princess, their family isnt the most well known, they arent coming from some prestigious family. Just a house of lesser nobles, a step above the common folk but still lesser than all the royalty and noble families surrounding the crown. I think that could be an interesting way to go about having a lord.

Either that or a Lord that is actually the King or Queen rather than Prince or Princess. We technically got this with Chrom, but it really didnt effect anything story wise.

Edited by Tolvir

1 hour ago, Tolvir said:

I want to see 2 things. First, I want to see a rogue lord. One that uses daggers, and has the locktouch ability. I think that is something we really havent seen yet. We have had sword lords, lords that are generals/axe users, cavalier lords, mage lords, and even flying and healer lords. I think rogue is really the only one we are missing at this point.

The other thing I want to see is a lord who is otherwise a lesser noble. They arent a princess, their family isnt the most well known, they arent coming from some prestigious family. Just a house of lesser nobles, a step above the common folk but still lesser than all the royalty and noble families surrounding the crown. I think that could be an interesting way to go about having a lord.

Either that or a Lord that is actually the King or Queen rather than Prince or Princess. We technically got this with Chrom, but it really didnt effect anything story wise.

Roy is pretty much a lesser lord really. His father is the leader of a province true, but that's only one small portion of Lycia which in turn is one of the smallest, least prominent countries on the continent. Then considering Lyn's home territory, Caelin is annexed by Eliwood or Hector's territory, she's even more minor a noble.

25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Roy is pretty much a lesser lord really. His father is the leader of a province true, but that's only one small portion of Lycia which in turn is one of the smallest, least prominent countries on the continent. Then considering Lyn's home territory, Caelin is annexed by Eliwood or Hector's territory, she's even more minor a noble.

True, but I guess what I am getting at is actually playing that angle. Have them a part of a country that has people in positions above them. Nobles in higher positions, the royal family, etc. And that angle to be actually used as well. Have some of the upper nobles stand in the characters way, maybe even the royal family. 

22 hours ago, Jotari said:

I don't think Lycia is supposed to be that small. Its a lesser nation to Bern and Etruria to be sure but when compared to the other minor nations Lycia actually seems the most prominent of them. The western island aren't even a country but an Etrurian colony, the racism to Saceans imply they are rather low on the Elibe totom pole and Illia is supposed to be very poor. 

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think Lycia is supposed to be that small. Its a lesser nation to Bern and Etruria to be sure but when compared to the other minor nations Lycia actually seems the most prominent of them. The western island aren't even a country but an Etrurian colony, the racism to Saceans imply they are rather low on the Elibe totom pole and Illia is supposed to be very poor. 

I suppose that true but from what I can recall of the map, Sacea and Ilia are also much larger nations than Lycia, of the equivalent size of Bern and Etruria. Of course that doesn't equate to power or influence but it does visually make Lycia look lesser.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, TheXGamer said:

1. A guy who is Half Dragon, who was born with a Human Mother and a Dragon Father.

2. An outlaw that in the end becomes a True Hero.

3. A Hero's Son.

1. So... Corrin done better? I was thinking; why not reverse it; a human father and a dragon mother? Don't get me wrong; after Corrin, I definitely feel they should try again with this.

2. I like this one. 

3. So... Roy? Ike? Seliph? A good idea, but it would have to be different, unless by hero you mean the hero class (no, wait; still Ike).

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

1. So... Corrin done better? I was thinking; why not reverse it; a human father and a dragon mother? Don't get me wrong; after Corrin, I definitely feel they should try again with this.

2. I like this one. 

3. So... Roy? Ike? Seliph? A good idea, but it would have to be different, unless by hero you mean the hero class (no, wait; still Ike).

Spoiler

To be fair, #1 can technically be Roy. Ninian isn't his canon mother... but she is Eliwood's most popular choice, the only one that gets a "love birds" song with him, and the flower from Ilia thing. Not canon, but the most implied IMO.

Now for my idea. I would like a Lord that's a little bit older. (Maybe mid 20s). Bonus points if they're a parent, like Sigurd or Sophitia from the Soul Calibur series.

I realised earlier today that, if FE Switch keeps SoV's 1-range bows, we could have an Archer Lord who can still fight in melee combat, which I assume is part of the reason IS hasn't had one of those yet (the rest being a combination of this and this). If it also keeps Fates' weapon triangle, an Archer Lord would still act as a swordsman gameplay-wise.

Just a shower thought, I guess. As for character - as someone currently playing through PoR for the first time (no spoilers, please!) - it would be nice to have another "nobody" a la Ike. Or better yet, bring back the Laguz (or an equivalent, if setting the story on a new continent) and make a story all about a conflict between different types of beast-people.

27 minutes ago, MetalAmethyst said:

Here's an idea: how about a lord that is of a thief-type class? Like an Assassin? Or has that already been done before?

Does Leif count as an thief/assassin lord? From what I looked up he doesn't seem to possess any of the characteristics of a thief in Thracia 776, but I noticed he was made a thief or a trickster in various Awakening DLC appearances.

6 hours ago, Chconroy said:

Does Leif count as an thief/assassin lord? From what I looked up he doesn't seem to possess any of the characteristics of a thief in Thracia 776, but I noticed he was made a thief or a trickster in various Awakening DLC appearances.

That's likely because he can wield Swords and Staves as a Prince in Genealogy of the Holy War, and Trickster would be the closest equivalent of this class.

After playing a bit of Thracia 776, I think I would welcome the idea of having a lord as a thief about on par with Pahn/Pirn..whatever.

Unless IS does it, that guy is arguably the best thief in the entire series.

@Glaceon Mage

Not to have another quarrel with the usual FE6 debate here but just because you had no issues with using Roy doesn't mean that others can't have issues with him.

My main complain with him is his overall lack of depth both as a unit and as a character. He has horrid bases for a lord and while he has his fair share of use, you may as well use the time to grind the ones that need to be spoonfed such as Rutger, Allan and Lance and also Clarine since she needs a boost at something to do some dodgetanking.

He is stuck with a 5 movement even after promotion and even if boots are given, it comes so late in the game that it makes it nearly redundant to use it on him. Those stat boosters you get are better off on those that NEED them since I doubt that it can do enough for him to solo the rest of the game.

On top of all this, he is displayed as a smart one and yet for some dumb reason, he can't ride a horse after promotion and horse units are valuable in this game. What lord moves very long distances barefoot with low move unless it was suppose to be for intentional reasons?

He doesn't do much as a character either..almost identical to that of Leif except Leif has flaws unlike Roy and while his flaws can be noticed, the way the game presents him is entirely flawless as Merlinus keeps questioning him and then agreeing on Roy afterwards.

Roy is one of the main reasons why a lot of people have a hard time playing FE6. You can't even bench him since he is forced to use even on gaiden chapters. I'd rather deal with Marth a unit who can't promote but can be such a fun lord to clear maps with than deal with a long daunting promotion that makes Leif's promotion even better to deal with(since FE5 stats are capped to 20 and by then Leif should easily max out his stats)

Lords are suppose to be important in FE in general because the world of FE is seen from them and no one else. A lord that is hard to accept is a thorn to the player. 

Edited by Harvey

52 minutes ago, Harvey said:

After playing a bit of Thracia 776, I think I would welcome the idea of having a lord as a thief about on par with Pahn/Pirn..whatever.

Unless IS does it, that guy is arguably the best thief in the entire series.

@Glaceon Mage

Not to have another quarrel with the usual FE6 debate here but just because you had no issues with using Roy doesn't mean that others can't have issues with him.

My main complain with him is his overall lack of depth both as a unit and as a character. He has horrid bases for a lord and while he has his fair share of use, you may as well use the time to grind the ones that need to be spoonfed such as Rutger, Allan and Lance and also Clarine since she needs a boost at something to do some dodgetanking.

He is stuck with a 5 movement even after promotion and even if boots are given, it comes so late in the game that it makes it nearly redundant to use it on him. Those stat boosters you get are better off on those that NEED them since I doubt that it can do enough for him to solo the rest of the game.

On top of all this, he is displayed as a smart one and yet for some dumb reason, he can't ride a horse after promotion and horse units are valuable in this game. What lord moves very long distances barefoot with low move unless it was suppose to be for intentional reasons?

He doesn't do much as a character either..almost identical to that of Leif except Leif has flaws unlike Roy and while his flaws can be noticed, the way the game presents him is entirely flawless as Merlinus keeps questioning him and then agreeing on Roy afterwards.

Roy is one of the main reasons why a lot of people have a hard time playing FE6. You can't even bench him since he is forced to use even on gaiden chapters. I'd rather deal with Marth a unit who can't promote but can be such a fun lord to clear maps with than deal with a long daunting promotion that makes Leif's promotion even better to deal with(since FE5 stats are capped to 20 and by then Leif should easily max out his stats)

Lords are suppose to be important in FE in general because the world of FE is seen from them and no one else. A lord that is hard to accept is a thorn to the player. 

Of all the people in that conversation about Roy's usability I am immensely confused as to why you singled me out.

His character has absolutely zilch to do with his usability as a unit, and being a "bland" unit is also rather irrelevant.

Rutger doesn't need much spoonfeeding, and Roy in no way steals EXP from Clarine because she's a staffbot.  Allen and Lance can fairly easily gain levels while also giving kills to Roy so that he doesn't die.

The boots are in Chapter 14, which is midgame and around where Roy starts hitting his midgame slump.  I already said the statboosts in an attempt to make him midgame viable are a bit of a waste when I'd rather dump them on someone who can promote at a reasonable time.

Regarding the lack of a horse: I know he would be better with one.  Everyone is!  However, that doesn't really affect his ability to chip cavs and axes early/toss fire at everything late.  And again, his intelligent character is irrelevant to him as a unit, and has nothing to do with lacking a horse.  Heroes implies he's not the best at riding, he can do it if necessary but is more comfortable on his feet.  

Roy is perfectly viable outside the midgame slump caused by the late promotion.  In the early game, he can kill fighters and cavs.  In the lategame, he gets one of the best lord prf weapons in the franchise, the only lords who have it better in that department being Sigurd/Seliph because lolFE4 holy weapons, and Ike because Ragnell is basically the Binding Blade with less bells and whistles but infinite durability.

5 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

That's likely because he can wield Swords and Staves as a Prince in Genealogy of the Holy War, and Trickster would be the closest equivalent of this class.

Unfortunately, much as I wish he could (especially in Thracia), Leif cannot use staves as a prince (god damn sexism). He can only use staves as a Master Knight. His appearance as a Trickster in Awakening is more likely a reference to the fact that he and everyone else in Thracia can steal weapons from the enemy by capturing them.

Edited by Jotari

On 8/11/2017 at 10:57 AM, Jingle Jangle said:

Just look at Micaiah and the problem she had not including the way the game progressed. 

Fix her low Speed and the fact that RD just hates mages and she'd be good. Fragile as a mage tends to be, but good at killing at least. 

On 8/16/2017 at 11:40 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

On 8/16/2017 at 11:44 AM, Jotari said:

I suppose that true but from what I can recall of the map, Sacea and Ilia are also much larger nations than Lycia, of the equivalent size of Bern and Etruria. Of course that doesn't equate to power or influence but it does visually make Lycia look lesser.

Lycia rests directly between Etruria and Bern, so I'd expect it to have lot of trade at least. The landscape looks well watered and fertile too. I'd expect it to have a higher population density than either neighboring country, and to be closer in sheer numbers than you'd think. A lot of southern Bern looks like uninhabitable mountains too.

Sacae is bigger (in fact its eastern edge goes off the map), but anyone with a little knowledge in pastoralism, or the history of the Great Plains of North America pre-Europeans or the Central Asian steppe, know that such environments can't support that many people per square unit. It's why they're nomadic- the land can handle grass but not agriculture. Ilia is Russia or Scandinavia, too cold for a good growing season able to support a high population density. Hence even if Sacae or Ilia are bigger, they might have comparable if not smaller populations than Lycia.

3 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Of all the people in that conversation about Roy's usability I am immensely confused as to why you singled me out.

Because you said it in a manner that you had no issues using him even on Hard mode thus making it sound like Roy is balanced to others like me.

His character has absolutely zilch to do with his usability as a unit, and being a "bland" unit is also rather irrelevant.

Actually, character defines the ups and downs of a unit's usability like Arthur's character reflecting on his low luck for example. 

You would think that for an intelligent lord who is swordlocked the whole time should get a promotion to use other types of weapons by now but that didn't happen because game logic.

Rutger doesn't need much spoonfeeding, and Roy in no way steals EXP from Clarine because she's a staffbot.  Allen and Lance can fairly easily gain levels while also giving kills to Roy so that he doesn't die.

Then by your logic, so does Roy as he can practically beat the final boss with zero investment thus making it all the more redundant to even use him till then.

Regarding the lack of a horse: I know he would be better with one.  Everyone is!

No not really. Pegasi knights will get screwed by archers and their worst nightmare..balista and the same goes for dragon knights as well.

A foot unit can travel more on land than a horse unit if the terrain is sandy which is why mages on foot can travel more than the ones on horse if on sand.

Then there's the issue with skills being exclusive to those with a horse and those that aren't and the ones that aren't usually have better skills than the ones on horse.

Even bow knights can't compare to Snipers in terms of just raw power.

So you're kinda wrong that everyone is better on horses. 

However, that doesn't really affect his ability to chip cavs and axes early/toss fire at everything late.

Who cares about that when he already has a weapon advantage? Some here just want Roy to move to that bloody throne faster since maps tend to get so long that you wish things could get done at a decent pace.

And again, his intelligent character is irrelevant to him as a unit, and has nothing to do with lacking a horse.

And again, character is what reflects a particular unit. 

Roy is perfectly viable outside the midgame slump caused by the late promotion.  In the early game, he can kill fighters and cavs.  In the lategame, he gets one of the best lord prf weapons in the franchise, the only lords who have it better in that department being Sigurd/Seliph because lolFE4 holy weapons, and Ike because Ragnell is basically the Binding Blade with less bells and whistles but infinite durability.

In all honesty, I prefer Alm's promotion option over Roy's. Its even the most sensible of the promotion times if you ask me since Alm won't promote extremely late nor is is promotion in a fixed point.

Again, you have no issues using Roy and that's fine. But don't defend Roy here since his use of early game to late game is redundant because early game begs you to use Marcus and late game begs you to use Percival. He is good for nothing except to kill the final boss and that's nothing really special even.