New Lord Ideas

Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Unfortunately, much as I wish he could (especially in Thracia), Leif cannot use staves as a prince (god damn sexism). He can only use staves as a Master Knight. His appearance as a Trickster in Awakening is more likely a reference to the fact that he and everyone else in Thracia can steal weapons from the enemy by capturing them.

Ugh.  Dangit.  I was thinking about Lachesis because I assumed the Prince and Princess classes were exactly the same.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Because you said it in a manner that you had no issues using him even on Hard mode thus making it sound like Roy is balanced to others like me.

This is what I said:

On 4/9/2017 at 5:44 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

I've played Hard FE6, and I have not had trouble with Roy's earlygame or Chapter 4.

I specifically mentioned the early game.  At which point, he's not running into trouble due the late promotion because your other units aren't promoted yet either.  Roy's problems as a unit (and I won't deny he has them) are specifically concentrated in the middle of the game.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Actually, character defines the ups and downs of a unit's usability like Arthur's character reflecting on his low luck for example. 

You would think that for an intelligent lord who is swordlocked the whole time should get a promotion to use other types of weapons by now but that didn't happen because game logic.

This doesn't make any sense.  Roy not getting a new weapon on promotion is rather lame, sure, but that doesn't make him unusable and it has nothing to do how good he is at politics.  Being intelligent =/= being good with weapons.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Then by your logic, so does Roy as he can practically beat the final boss with zero investment thus making it all the more redundant to even use him till then.

It's much easier to get him to the throne if he doesn't die in one hit, and he can put in work in the earlygame up to Axe Islands and the Binding Blade helps his lategame significantly if he was trained.  

Yes, he's not great during the midgame because his promotion is late, but it's entirely feasible for him to gain levels in the earlygame and lategame.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

No not really. Pegasi knights will get screwed by archers and their worst nightmare..balista and the same goes for dragon knights as well.

A foot unit can travel more on land than a horse unit if the terrain is sandy which is why mages on foot can travel more than the ones on horse if on sand.

Then there's the issue with skills being exclusive to those with a horse and those that aren't and the ones that aren't usually have better skills than the ones on horse.

Even bow knights can't compare to Snipers in terms of just raw power.

So you're kinda wrong that everyone is better on horses. 

If I had Wolt as a foot unit and Wolt on a horse, and absolutely nothing changed about him besides that (ie same bases, same growths, still permanently bowlocked etc.) he would be better on the horse due to the movement range.  

Being on a horse automatically makes a unit better than they would be if they didn't have a horse.  There are exceptions, but horseslaying weapons are rare and the desert is literally one chapter in a game where you go through 32 of them, counting gaidens.

Pegasi/wyverns really aren't that crippled by the arrow weakness if you don't overextend.  The ability to fly over terrain is very valuable and a massive advantage.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

And again, character is what reflects a particular unit. 

Judging a unit based on their character/a character based on their status as a unit just doesn't make sense.  Divorce character from stats/gameplay potential, because they are literally two completely independent elements of design.  You've been guilty of this before from what I remember too.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

In all honesty, I prefer Alm's promotion option over Roy's. Its even the most sensible of the promotion times if you ask me since Alm won't promote extremely late nor is is promotion in a fixed point.

Again, you have no issues using Roy and that's fine. But don't defend Roy here since his use of early game to late game is redundant because early game begs you to use Marcus and late game begs you to use Percival. He is good for nothing except to kill the final boss and that's nothing really special even.

What does Alm have to do with this?

I never claimed he was the best thing ever unit wise.  I said that it's not difficult to train him during earlygame, and that he can pull his weight lategame because the Binding Blade is literally just that good.  I was defending him because the other people discussing him at the time were treating him like he was Gwendy tier or something, which is blatantly false.  

Is he top tier?  No, he isn't.  Does that make him unusable?  No, it doesn't.  Roy isn't Gwendy, nor is he Sophia.  He has problems, but he's not crippled by his problems for the whole game even though they do make him deadweight for a while in the midgame.

Edited by Glaceon Mage
typo fix

Hmm... I actually want to see a main lord that has a mixture of sorts backstory to that of Joshua and Zephiel.

Like say that the main lord has a abusive father (Zephiel's dad or can just be like how Marth's dad was in the ova towards him when he was young), but a loving mother (Joshua's mom) and the father doesn't see them ever being able to ascend the throne because of how weak they they are in being such a disgrace. The main lord leaves no longer being able to take the abuse and decides they want to see the world and come out of it strong on their own and prove to their father that they were wrong about them (so essentially as Joshua thinks that he was rebelling against his mother which wasn't really the case I actually want to see it it done for this lord towards their father) and if say the main lord has a younger sibling they could have it against their sibling for leaving and not realizing the kind of actions their selfish choice had done to the people around them (especially if the mother dies of a broken heart) and even possibly their own country turning to turmoil.

10 minutes ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

Hmm... I actually want to see a main lord that has a mixture of sorts backstory to that of Joshua and Zephiel.

Like say that the main lord has a abusive father (Zephiel's dad or can just be like how Marth's dad was in the ova towards him when he was young), but a loving mother (Joshua's mom) and the father doesn't see them ever being able to ascend the throne because of how weak they they are in being such a disgrace. The main lord leaves no longer being able to take the abuse and decides they want to see the world and come out of it strong on their own and prove to their father that they were wrong about them (so essentially as Joshua thinks that he was rebelling against his mother which wasn't really the case I actually want to see it it done for this lord towards their father) and if say the main lord has a younger sibling they could have it against their sibling for leaving and not realizing the kind of actions their selfish choice had done to the people around them (especially if the mother dies of a broken heart) and even possibly their own country turning to turmoil.

I like the sound of that a lot. The two backstories mix together rather well and the whole idea could serve as an interesting story premise.

8 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Ugh.  Dangit.  I was thinking about Lachesis because I assumed the Prince and Princess classes were exactly the same.

Like I said. Damn sexism. Leif with staves would have been super useful. Particularly if he gained them on promotion in Thracia.

9 hours ago, Harvey said:

Because you said it in a manner that you had no issues using him even on Hard mode thus making it sound like Roy is balanced to others like me.

Actually, character defines the ups and downs of a unit's usability like Arthur's character reflecting on his low luck for example. 

You would think that for an intelligent lord who is swordlocked the whole time should get a promotion to use other types of weapons by now but that didn't happen because game logic.

Then by your logic, so does Roy as he can practically beat the final boss with zero investment thus making it all the more redundant to even use him till then.

No not really. Pegasi knights will get screwed by archers and their worst nightmare..balista and the same goes for dragon knights as well.

A foot unit can travel more on land than a horse unit if the terrain is sandy which is why mages on foot can travel more than the ones on horse if on sand.

Then there's the issue with skills being exclusive to those with a horse and those that aren't and the ones that aren't usually have better skills than the ones on horse.

Even bow knights can't compare to Snipers in terms of just raw power.

So you're kinda wrong that everyone is better on horses. 

Who cares about that when he already has a weapon advantage? Some here just want Roy to move to that bloody throne faster since maps tend to get so long that you wish things could get done at a decent pace.

And again, character is what reflects a particular unit. 

In all honesty, I prefer Alm's promotion option over Roy's. Its even the most sensible of the promotion times if you ask me since Alm won't promote extremely late nor is is promotion in a fixed point.

Again, you have no issues using Roy and that's fine. But don't defend Roy here since his use of early game to late game is redundant because early game begs you to use Marcus and late game begs you to use Percival. He is good for nothing except to kill the final boss and that's nothing really special even.

Your insistence that Roy should use a second weapon or a horse because he's meant to be intelligent is frankly bizarre. Do you think that every foot unit or mono weapon user in the series is stupid?

Edited by Jotari

10 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I specifically mentioned the early game.  At which point, he's not running into trouble due the late promotion because your other units aren't promoted yet either.  Roy's problems as a unit (and I won't deny he has them) are specifically concentrated in the middle of the game.

11 hours ago, Harvey said:

Which is exactly the reason why training Roy isn't even worth doing in the long run Because Marcus will most likely do better in those early chapters more than Roy will ever. 

Neither of them will be exp nightmares because of them being forced but that doesn't mean that training Roy is still worth it because if its so damn possible to beat the final boss with just his promotion stats alone, then its not worth investing time on him. The only reason he's worth is because he's forced in every single chapter. 

This doesn't make any sense.  Roy not getting a new weapon on promotion is rather lame, sure, but that doesn't make him unusable and it has nothing to do how good he is at politics.  Being intelligent =/= being good with weapons.

12 hours ago, Harvey said:

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Your insistence that Roy should use a second weapon or a horse because he's meant to be intelligent is frankly bizarre. Do you think that every foot unit or mono weapon user in the series is stupid?

Oh yeah..I forgot that this isn't like in Fates where personality reflects on the unit so my bad I guess.

Still, he could use a horse because that low move he's stuck with is still tedious to deal with.

If I had Wolt as a foot unit and Wolt on a horse, and absolutely nothing changed about him besides that (ie same bases, same growths, still permanently bowlocked etc.) he would be better on the horse due to the movement range.  

The ones on horse tend to have more weapon types than the ones on foot atleast from what I've noticed. So if Wolt is stuck being bowlocked even on horse and when promoted, then by your logic he's not any better than Shin or Sue.

11 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I never claimed he was the best thing ever unit wise.  I said that it's not difficult to train him during earlygame, and that he can pull his weight lategame because the Binding Blade is literally just that good.  I was defending him because the other people discussing him at the time were treating him like he was Gwendy tier or something, which is blatantly false.  

Actually, Roy is very similar to Gwendy but only worse. He has bad base stats, his early role is so redundant that Marcus easily overshadows him and even if you train him, he's going to get sliced by bolting, balista and what not there. Even an axe unit can be a major threat to him. Atleast the other cast you are stuck with despite most of them being bad can atleast do some service better than Roy.

And no, training him is not worth it because I said this earlier, his promotion gains are more than enough to beat even the FINAL BOSS.

Your only choice really is to get Roy to shelter because he is not going to do much and his early game assistance while admirable is pointless because again, you can just use Marcus for that.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

Which is exactly the reason why training Roy isn't even worth doing in the long run Because Marcus will most likely do better in those early chapters more than Roy will ever. 

Neither of them will be exp nightmares because of them being forced but that doesn't mean that training Roy is still worth it because if its so damn possible to beat the final boss with just his promotion stats alone, then its not worth investing time on him. The only reason he's worth is because he's forced in every single chapter. 

Being forced + game overing when dying absolutely makes Roy worth it.  I'd rather have a lord who can at least take 1 hit and live than one who will die if he's so much as breathed on.  Roy can't contribute much in the midgame, but training him makes him much less likely to get killed.

The ones on horse tend to have more weapon types than the ones on foot atleast from what I've noticed. So if Wolt is stuck being bowlocked even on horse and when promoted, then by your logic he's not any better than Shin or Sue.

Don't bring Shin or Sue into this.  We're only considering Wolt as he is, and a hypothetical "Horse Wolt" who has a few more move and a weakness to horseslayers.  If you change nothing about a unit besides giving them a horse, then the drawbacks are absolutely outweighed by the benefits since horseslayers are so rare.

That's how "being a horse makes you better" works.

Unless you're Fiona I guess, since the maps she's available for are pretty horse unfriendly due to ledges.

Actually, Roy is very similar to Gwendy but only worse. He has bad base stats, his early role is so redundant that Marcus easily overshadows him and even if you train him, he's going to get sliced by bolting, balista and what not there. Even an axe unit can be a major threat to him. Atleast the other cast you are stuck with despite most of them being bad can atleast do some service better than Roy.

And no, training him is not worth it because I said this earlier, his promotion gains are more than enough to beat even the FINAL BOSS.

Your only choice really is to get Roy to shelter because he is not going to do much and his early game assistance while admirable is pointless because again, you can just use Marcus for that.

An axe unit is rarely a threat to Roy, because Axes kinda blow in the accuracy department.

Roy's role is different than Marcus's.  Marcus is a crutch, Roy is someone you put on a Forest/Fort tile to dodge axes or use the Rapier to chip or kill cavs.

His early game lets him not die easily later.

Also, if you're genuinely trying to say that Gwendy, who joins lancelocked and weak right before the axes Isles, on top of the innate disadvanatages of being an armor knight in a monoseize game, is better than Roy.... ahahaha.  Ha.  I think you may have thrown whatever credibility you had left out the window.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

12 hours ago, Harvey said:

Oh yeah..I forgot that this isn't like in Fates where personality reflects on the unit so my bad I guess.

Eh what? Are you saying a character is unintelligent for not being able to fight on horseback? Your response is very unclear.

An interesting idea for a Lord character would be making them Staff-locked or a dancer in their base class. Lords have typically been important support units throughout the series, being one of the few units able to capture thrones, visit villages, unlock chests, and allow other units to access items from the supply convoy. Being a Dancer / Staff-locked would significantly increase their usefulness in terms of support and would encourage newer players to make better use of tactics such as passive healing from staves or extra turns granted by dance. It could lead to some pretty unique stories as well,

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Eh what? Are you saying a character is unintelligent for not being able to fight on horseback? Your response is very unclear.

Yeah...I don't want to talk about it further...

17 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

An axe unit is rarely a threat to Roy, because Axes kinda blow in the accuracy department.

Roy's role is different than Marcus's.  Marcus is a crutch, Roy is someone you put on a Forest/Fort tile to dodge axes or use the Rapier to chip or kill cavs.

His early game lets him not die easily later.

That's where I disagree with. The first boss on HM is already a big threat to the entire crew minus Marcus. He has low hit but that doesn't mean he can't hit hard and if you're out of vulnaries or got Marcus killed somehow, good luck beating the first chapter.

Then the next chapter...Roy still can't do much here except to complete the chapter(like always).

The third one. Boy Roy can't beat even the boss here with his rapier even if you train him up to..like what? lv 5? 

Then chapter 4. Yeah sure, Roy can chip horses here but is it worth it? I mean you need to train your other units to protect him and again, you have Marcus who can kill them easily even with an iron lance.

Then chapter 5. Those mercs again can kill him very easily and nomads too who oddly don't have any effect against the rapier.

Then chapter 6 what? Two knights that Roy can do something to. Yeah right. Just send Lugh instead.

Chapter 7: Similar to chapter 4 but again, you need to train other units here.

Chapter 8: Ahhahaha...no.

And that is about as early as it can get for me. 

Roy will get killed no matter how much you train him, a hit of one bolt rips him in half/completely kills him. The easiest way for players to complete chapters is mostly to use turtling or rescue chains the latter being both a risk and a chore.

Just because axes have horrid hit rates doesn't mean they don't hit hard. Berserkers are a major threat because they have a 30% crit and combined with Killer axe, they can be deadly.  

17 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Also, if you're genuinely trying to say that Gwendy, who joins lancelocked and weak right before the axes Isles, on top of the innate disadvanatages of being an armor knight in a monoseize game, is better than Roy.... ahahaha.  Ha.  I think you may have thrown whatever credibility you had left out the window.

Who said anything about her being better than Roy? I just stated that he's similar to her only much worse than her considering that both have bad base stats and that they both have shitty move. That's it.

And I don't want to go off topic anymore. Point is that just because you find Roy no probs to use early game doesn't mean others won't because FE is mostly on luck and other players will have a harder time playing it compared to you simply because their luck wasn't great or their playthrough went differently.

Edited by Harvey

This is an out-of-left-field idea that would likely require a clicking plot and maybe then some, but what about a unique monster for a main character? Like, monsters start attacking folks, but one monster is born good-hearted and fights to find answers. I dunno.

8 hours ago, Harvey said:

He has low hit but that doesn't mean he can't hit hard and if you're out of vulnaries or got Marcus killed somehow, good luck beating the first chapter.

IIRC, everyone can survive at least one round of combat with him.  If you ran out of vulneraries or Marcus died, that's really the player's own fault.  

Then the next chapter...Roy still can't do much here except to complete the chapter(like always).

There are axe fighters he can dodgetank/kill while being able to exploit a fort.

The third one. Boy Roy can't beat even the boss here with his rapier even if you train him up to..like what? lv 5?

Just because he can't beat the boss in this chapter doesn't mean that he's useless here.  There are cav reinforcements that he can fight, for instance.

Then chapter 4. Yeah sure, Roy can chip horses here but is it worth it? I mean you need to train your other units to protect him and again, you have Marcus who can kill them easily even with an iron lance.

Of course it's worth it.  Roy killing things early = more survivavbility later and less likely to game over you if you screw up.  Also, he can fight the Pirates to the south, especially if Shanna didn't die meaning she can drop him on one of their forts.

Then chapter 5. Those mercs again can kill him very easily and nomads too who oddly don't have any effect against the rapier

Axeland/10.  If the mercs kill him because you're not training him, then that's really your own fault since I don't remember them being that big of a deal.

Then chapter 6 what? Two knights that Roy can do something to. Yeah right. Just send Lugh instead.

Why can't I send Roy?  I always train Lugh, but if Roy can do something I don't see why he should be locked out of the EXP.

Chapter 7: Similar to chapter 4 but again, you need to train other units here.

You can train other units and Roy at the same time, though.  I get through the earlygame training Roy, Wolt, Shanna, Lugh, and Rutger just fine.

Chapter 8: Ahhahaha...no.

?????? This is long before his late promotion causes him to fall behind.  Please elaborate.  

Roy will get killed no matter how much you train him, a hit of one bolt rips him in half/completely kills him. The easiest way for players to complete chapters is mostly to use turtling or rescue chains the latter being both a risk and a chore.

Just because axes have horrid hit rates doesn't mean they don't hit hard. Berserkers are a major threat because they have a 30% crit and combined with Killer axe, they can be deadly.

I've trained him, on Hard, and he's avoided dying before the midgame slump quite well.  

Berserkers really aren't much of a threat to swordies, particularly the ones with high speed/luck.  Roy has decent speed and amazing luck, so he's cutting their already shaky hitrates quite a bit and negating a good chunk of their crit bonus on top of that.  The few you fight in the Western Isles are generally not difficult to take down.

You seem to be immensely focused on "This unit needs it more" and neglecting Roy due to that.  Of course he'll not do well in the later earlygame if you aren't training him in Chapter 1-3.

Who said anything about her being better than Roy? I just stated that he's similar to her only much worse than her considering that both have bad base stats and that they both have shitty move. That's it.

Roy joins in a chapter full of axes and like, 2 archers, who are much closer to him in strength than the enemies on Gwendy's join map are to her.  Then shortly after Gwendy joins, the axe islands happen which really cripples her.

Saying he's "only much worse" sure sounds like saying Gwendy is better to me.

And I don't want to go off topic anymore. Point is that just because you find Roy no probs to use early game doesn't mean others won't because FE is mostly on luck and other players will have a harder time playing it compared to you simply because their luck wasn't great or their playthrough went differently.

Now you're saying I was just lucky?  I do fine with Roy whenever I do the Hard earlygame.  This wasn't a one time thing.    

5 hours ago, NoirCore said:

This is an out-of-left-field idea that would likely require a clicking plot and maybe then some, but what about a unique monster for a main character? Like, monsters start attacking folks, but one monster is born good-hearted and fights to find answers. I dunno.

Er...  I'm not really sure how we can center a game around a monster character, but okay.

That being said, I would like to see a powerful shapeshifter character who can transform into a monster and is weak to Blessed weapons.

19 hours ago, NoirCore said:

It's possible. It could be a laguz hero, a manakete hero, etc. There could be personal reasons for the person to be a hero. For example, they could be a cursed human (examples include basically almost any werewolf protagonist), a half-human whose parent taught them not to hate humanity (examples include Alucard from Castlevania, among others), they could be a member of a humanoid race, and defects from his people for moral reasons. There are a number of possibilities.

I think it would actually be a really cool idea if the new lord was disowned by their family (likely at a young age), and by the time the plot kicks off, they've become so jaded and accustomed to their current life, that they do everything to avoid participating in the war, or reclaiming their throne (i.e. they just want to be left alone). I think that would be a nice change of pace from the more idealistic lords we've had. 

Edited by Corbin

I have a few ideas for the new lord.

1. A Prince/Princess who had the throne stolen from them by conquest (think Daenerys Targaryen from A Song of Ice and Fire)

2. A Soldier that goes on to lead a platoon

3. The Prince/Princess of the invading country (basically Conquest Corrin done right)

Priam is my first and most wanted. Him aside;

i want a lord who starts off young and eager for war, only to see the horrors of it themselves and change their mind and regret basically most things they said/did 

On 10/1/2017 at 2:31 AM, Metal Flash said:

I have a few ideas for the new lord.

1. A Prince/Princess who had the throne stolen from them by conquest (think Daenerys Targaryen from A Song of Ice and Fire)

2. A Soldier that goes on to lead a platoon

3. The Prince/Princess of the invading country (basically Conquest Corrin done right)

That would be Marth, Seliph, Leif, Eirika and Ephraim.

I have an idea for a lord: one that finds themselves in the position of having to rebel against a terrible king. I have two different versions of this: both inspired by moments in medieval English history. They could be like Henry Bolingbroke in Shakespeare's Henry V: having come home after being banished; at first only rebelling to claim what was his inheritance, but ending up in a fight for the throne that would have devastating repercussions to follow (the War of the Roses). Or it can be a story similar to that surrounding the Magna Carta and King John (the only English king named John; no other English kings were ever called John for a very good reason: this reason). 

In the second case, it could be a story of a young noble whose father drafted a charter saying no king would ever be above the law. The king found out, demanded to know the names of the other nobles who helped draft the charter, and killed the father when he refused to give any names. The noble's son was supposed to be killed as well, but those loyal to his father had helped him escape and he was able to grow up in secret. That king is dead, but his own son's on the throne, and is even worse. So the two sons end up opposing each other; one the son of a would-be reformer, the other the even more tyrannical son of a tyrant.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:37 PM, Lord Tullus said:

A criminal - This one is the outlier for the Idea.  Now, think about this:  He/She is not a lord - but someone sentenced to death for a treasonous act or horrible crime committed, and he or she is sentenced to death. However, due to some "partners" who have the will and strength to help, this criminal escapes execution, and somehow gets tied into a war. Thus growing and redeeming himself/herself in the process.  (Standard FE plot of bigger and darker things going on behind the scene, maybe a new perspective on the Fire Emblem itself, etc.)  This protagonist formula brings back grey morality in a light that is quite rare for fire emblem games.  Sure, we've had bad people be playable characters in the past, or be side characters, but protagonists?  That's something I'd like to see.

Well looks like someone beat me to the punch. 

But to expand on the idea maybe he/she doesn't redeem theirself and is just forever stuck in a grey area.

Say they are set on a path to kill another big criminal or evil but in doing so just does a ton of heinous stuff themselves and never gives up their ways. Or worse takes over and becomes the evil they just destroyed.

Maybe even ditch the idea of a full scale war and make it a turf war  type thing both sides aren't good the only difference is you're playing as one. Early on he/she is asked to join some heroes that are trying to save the world but refuses and clams that their delusional cause dragons are all dead. As the turf war ground level story is going on you get glimpses and hear references of how the heroes are doing. Eventually you get to the final battle and are victorious over the rival gang. During the epilogue, or maybe a hidden ending that requires certain pre requisites to unlock, it's revealed that all that effort and that victory was for nothing because the heroes fighting the big bad in the background lost and everyone dies anyway.

It's risky and unorthodox but I'd be more compelling than anothe noble fighting another war that's caused by a world ending threat and then proseeding to take out said threat as well.

Here's a couple ideas.

1) Eric Bloodaxe a red headed axe wielder based off of the pirate and berserker class with strong bases and growths but excelling in HP, Str, and SP. He follows the stereotypes of Redheads and is loosely based off of the historic viking Eric Bloodaxe, has a unique axe.

2) Freydis Eriksdottir a blonde Draco Rider based unit, a tactful, thoughtful and strategizing unit the advisor of the group comes with a unique lance.

3) Bjorn Ironside a black haired mercenary based unit, has a unique greatsword

I terms of integrating characteristics and gameplay, I kinda don't understand why Lords in more recent entries are overpowered. Really, half of Roy's issues could be at least made more worth bearing, and his story characteristics could have been better integrated if he had Rally skills from fates and Leadership stars that can be customizable to allocate specific bonuses, and maybe other bonuses. I initially wasn't keen on Corrin being able to support everyone else but now I think about it, it's something justifiable, because gaining everyone's trust is important for good leadership. Furthemore, battles in real-life aren't necessarily won by sheer strength of a legendary warrior alone (Even Simo Hayaa needs to be backed by rest of the Finnish army to push back the Soviets!), but is often combined with intelligence, good teamwork, good military leadership, and advanced technology.

I would really like IS to revisit and revamp the next Roy, or the next intelligent, leadership-focused Lord. Aside from extensive supports, rally skills, and leadership stars, there should be another gameplay feature. Between battles, the Lord could spend her or his time reading books, talking/support-conversing to people in the barracks/camp, and observing them train that grows an additional Lord-specific stat: Intelligence/Knowledge. Upon reaching a certain threshold, the Lord can equip some specific Skills or other attributes that grants different bonuses to the entire team. Rough ideas on how this can be implemented for hypothetical remakes of from past games:

• Did Roy A-support Marcus? The former could attain extra Leadership stars applicable for their respective home (Lycian/Altean) armies. Or alternately, he attains bigger support bonuses (from the same support level) with Alen, Lance etc.
  • Did Marth talk about magic with Merric in their new support conversation? Then the option to forge tomes for better durability, or a monetary discount in raising tome might is granted to the player.
  • Did Robin discover/purchase books about weaponry when the Ylissean army was staying in town? Has he read it? Then his C+ support partners can raise their weapon skills faster, or have accuracy/critical bonuses with the weapon type in question.
  • Did Corrin read a book about Faceless? Has he support-conversed to, say, Leo (who have an army of Faceless in a Birthright chapter)? Then he could ask the Forge Workshop in My Castle to add "anti-Faceless" effects. Perhaps not to the same multiplier effect as standard blessed weapons (might x 3), but could be might x 1.25-1.5, depending on how far Corrin has gone with her/his research.
Edited by henrymidfields

The problem with Roy really shows on hard mode (oh god, I can't believe I actually suffered through FE 6 hard mode). His bases vs the inflated early game stats of enemies means he does very little damage, is very fragile, and its quite hard to feed kills to him. Hector Hard Mode by comparison is a much better difficulty because while challenging at the start, enemies don't have absurd stat inflation. The difficulty also ramps up where the hardest chs are late game HHM. Unlike FE 6 where once you get Milady she can help you steamroll the rest of the game. The same can be said with Awakening Lunatic vs Fates Conquest. The former focuses on stat inflation while the latter focuses on enemy positioning, composition, and effective weapons.

I think Fates had some nice ideas on how to have the main lord buff his army. Corrin's supportive personal skill is a fantastic boost to anyone since it works even with attack stance. Even better, Gunther's personal skills is a fanastic idea on how to keep a Jegan character viable into the late game. He provides a strong offensive and defensive boost to Corrin. Personal skills are a fantastic idea that both add personality to a character and can make subpar units, like Jegans, viable into the endgame.

Also, skills like Charm are fantastic passive AoE buffs for your army and the types of skills Lords should naturally learn. In fact, Fates' great lord class is a pretty good idea of how I want Lords to work in future fire emblems. Focus more on buffing your army rather then being a one man army.

Edited by wissenschaft