New Lord Ideas

Jotari

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Harvey said:

A lord that is capable of being in all classes and is perfectly balanced in each of the classes would be really awesome IMO.

Balance doesn't exist in FE, sorry to say. Especially between classes

46 minutes ago, Jayvee94 said:

I want two "lords". One older sister and one younger brother. Their parents are a master swordsman and a master chef.

They will start as fighting merchants and later become mercenaries.

Now I just want to see a Master Chef class in Fire Emblem regardless of context.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Balance doesn't exist in FE, sorry to say. Especially between classes

That can largely be excused by the Skill system and lack of an ability for all units to reclass to any class. If Skills didn't carry over between classes balance would be completely possible, if difficult.

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

Hey..just a thought..

How does the idea of having books and bows for a unit sound?

Gameplay wise, it works. Thematically, it sounds awkward.

Just now, Harvey said:

How so? Fates had units that can use books and axes.....

That makes sense to me. It's moreso "how the hell do I carry a Bow and Tome at the same time?" Thinking about it makes my head just reject it.

7 minutes ago, Gima said:

That makes sense to me. It's moreso "how the hell do I carry a Bow and Tome at the same time?" Thinking about it makes my head just reject it.

very simple...break logic lol!

Edited by Harvey

1 hour ago, Gima said:

There's a fairly well known piece of art for the world original Legend of Zelda which showed how Link carried all his stuff, so think of it like that. Bow around the chest or in a quiver, and have a pocket belt for the tome when switching weapons. Damn, I want to draw how this class would look, now.

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

Explain Fates then. All the units in that game are well balanced despite their issues.

I can literally throw Ryoma with Corrin as support and expect him to win 80% of all battles by himself. And if he doesn't win resetting and trying again with the exact same strategy will usually bring victory (due to his high avoid rate and ability to vantage proc Astra which will immediately fill the defend gauge).

5 hours ago, Gima said:

Think about where Holy War's Mast Knights managed to keep all their weapons!

7 hours ago, InfinityAlex said:

There's a fairly well known piece of art for the world original Legend of Zelda which showed how Link carried all his stuff, so think of it like that. Bow around the chest or in a quiver, and have a pocket belt for the tome when switching weapons. Damn, I want to draw how this class would look, now.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I can literally throw Ryoma with Corrin as support and expect him to win 80% of all battles by himself. And if he doesn't win resetting and trying again with the exact same strategy will usually bring victory (due to his high avoid rate and ability to vantage proc Astra which will immediately fill the defend gauge).

Think about where Holy War's Mast Knights managed to keep all their weapons!

I get it. I understand this concept. It's not even "how do they carry that", it just looks weird.

I like the idea of a female lord with an axe. Maybe one with an Ephraim like personality.

Honestly, when it came to Fates I was happy to see they did away with a blue haired lord. Its such a minor thing but it annoys almost as much as Chrom throwing his sword in the ground after each attack animation. I don't care how magical your sword is you don't go throwing them in the ground.... Ike's not off the hook either.

Anyway, the other day I was thinking about a lord that was a like a captain of a platoon. Whatever kingdom he/she fights for gets crushed by the villains at the start, most of the army is killed. Its starts off with just surviving the aftermath to building a resistance. People follow him as a leader of the resistance though he really doesn't want to. Only reason he does is cause he knows the survivors will probably die without him.

On 2/9/2017 at 1:02 AM, Harvey said:

A lord that is capable of being in all classes and is perfectly balanced in each of the classes would be really awesome IMO.

That is impossible.

To be a balanced Knight, you need to have good HP and Defense, but low Speed. To be a balanced fighter, you need to have high Strength and HP, but low Speed, Skill and Defense. To be a good Myrmidon, you need to have high Skill and Speed, but low Defense, Strength and HP.

To be even remotely good at ALL of those things(Not even counting magic units, who don't even use Strength(usually)), you'd have to be an incredibly broken unit along the lines of Robin and his/her kids/kid.

Plus, Robin being able to be every class was not fun. Even trying to explain in-game that would make the character an incredible Mary Sue/Gary Stu all over again like Robin and Corrin.

Edited by Slumber

42 minutes ago, Slumber said:

That is impossible.

To be a balanced Knight, you need to have good HP and Defense, but low Speed. To be a balanced fighter, you need to have high Strength and HP, but low Speed, Skill and Defense. To be a good Myrmidon, you need to have high Skill and Speed, but low Defense, Strength and HP.

To be even remotely good at ALL of those things(Not even counting magic units, who don't even use Strength(usually)), you'd have to be an incredibly broken unit along the lines of Robin and his/her kids/kid.

Plus, Robin being able to be every class was not fun. Even trying to explain in-game that would make the character an incredible Mary Sue/Gary Stu all over again like Robin and Corrin.

Well that can change if the new FE is going to do something drastic like how Gaiden did for FE. 

I get that it would be difficult to balance that. But considering how its typical for which class should be best in this and that, I think IS can definitely try. It won't be easy but they can try.

Also, if it makes the unit broken, then that makes the strategy all the more interesting because they can do it where you can only use the main lord in certain maps and you have to do these things really carefully and all.

Again, I understand that it might not happen. But to have a lord that can do that could be REALLY awesome.

As long as the lord has blue hair and wields a sword, we are in business. 

Jokes aside, I think it would be interesting for a cleric lord. I think it would bring a lot of interesting tactics to the game. Just as long as they have a couple of support units, I think it would turn out fine.

I'd like to see an older character acting as lord. Who's the oldest lord we've had so far? Sigurd? Chrom? I don't think we've managed to get past 26 in that regard either way. I get that having a young lord means they can meet more new people and the player can witness them establishing themselves in the world but there's advantages of having an older more experienced character too. Of all the crazy ideas on this thread I find it slightly disheartening that this is the least likely one. The modern world does seem particularly obsessed with heroes in the 15-25 range.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'd like to see an older character acting as lord. Who's the oldest lord we've had so far? Sigurd? Chrom? I don't think we've managed to get past 26 in that regard either way. I get that having a young lord means they can meet more new people and the player can witness them establishing themselves in the world but there's advantages of having an older more experienced character too. Of all the crazy ideas on this thread I find it slightly disheartening that this is the least likely one. The modern world does seem particularly obsessed with heroes in the 15-25 range.

I like that idea, maybe a former lord coming out of retirement? Would certainly make an interesting main character. Plus growth of the other characters can be seen through their pov. Still, it'll be a tough sell and really buckling the trend for literally all jrpgs (can't think of any mentor/older main character off the top of my head, this character type is usually reserved for tutorial levels/side characters/gets killed off lol). 

8 hours ago, dap005 said:

I like that idea, maybe a former lord coming out of retirement? Would certainly make an interesting main character. Plus growth of the other characters can be seen through their pov. Still, it'll be a tough sell and really buckling the trend for literally all jrpgs (can't think of any mentor/older main character off the top of my head, this character type is usually reserved for tutorial levels/side characters/gets killed off lol). 

Neir is the only one that comes to my mind immediately and that was a decision they made in the west to alter the character.