New Lord Ideas

Jotari

I've played Hard FE6, and I have not had trouble with Roy's earlygame or Chapter 4.

Roy is not outright useless early.  Lots of axes and the rapier for dealing with cavs without gambling on the Halberd's shit hit rate are both boons for him.  He's perfectly trainable, really.  

His problem is the exact same as most lords with story based promotion, that being a bad midgame.  There really isn't much that can be done to save his combat here in vanilla FE6, besides maybe biasing the hell out of him with statboosters or something, but that honestly seems a bit wasteful haha.  Besides I'd rather pump all my bias into Wolt who doesn't have to worry about being forced to be unpromoted for ages, muahahahaha

He picks back up lategame because his promotion gains are good and the Binding Blade is downright absurd (18 might, 95 hit, 10 Crit, 1-2 range, can heal Roy, +5 Def/Res, only real downside is low uses but if you play smart this shouldn't be too big of an issue).  

Roy isn't the best unit ever, but he's certainly not the worst, and definitely not the worst in FE6 ohai Sophia.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an idea of a wimp Lord. Someone who's actually a massive coward but is forced into the role of leader. I'd think this wouldn't be too much of an alienation from the standard Lord Archetype, and he could grow a spine as the story progresses so that he eventually becomes a great leader.

Edited by Great Dane

1 hour ago, Augestein said:

I've played HM FE6. Hence why I said that the Nomads are less of a pain than the cavs because the nomads in a worst case scenario can be trapped like a plus formation. It's annoying that you can't get WTA over them, but the cavaliers have almost the same evade with WTD because they are level 5 as opposed to level 1, have more defense, and retaliate at one range which is what most of your units have against them. Slim Swords are down at the shop at the bottom of the map. It's not fun to grab them-- and I personally wouldn't, but I'm not the one complaining about these nomads-- which ironically enough, you're arguing a point pro-Roy here, so if anything, you're just demonstrating how valuable Roy is if these nomads are that bad.

And again, Roy isn't that bad.  He's not the best unit, and becomes annoying to have around after people start promoting, but he's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. 

I already mentioned why only valued Roy in Chapter 4 because it is one of the few occassions he does something useful.

1 hour ago, Great Dane said:

I had an idea of a wimp Lord. Someone who's actually a massive coward but is forced into the role of leader. I'd think this wouldn't be too much of an alienation from the standard Lord Archetype, and he could grow a spine as the story progresses so that he eventually becomes a great leader.

That could work in the sense of having a lord that has brothers and sisters that are in line to inherit the throne before them, so they enjoy being a noble but never actually had to have a ton of responsibility because their siblings took care of everything. But imagine if the siblings were killed-- or instead started fighting themselves and that left the wimp lord to either 1) Do nothing and let the siblings sort out the problem themselves 2) Stand and fight in a way that causes all sides to stand down. A wimp lord could actually work out pretty well if the story wasn't completely stupid. 

1 hour ago, L9999 said:

I already mentioned why only valued Roy in Chapter 4 because it is one of the few occassions he does something useful.

Which makes it out that Roy is in fact, not dead weight. He can help at moments. And besides, everyone knows that FE6 HM is harder for the first 7 chapters anyways. So having a usefulness at any point in these chapters means quite a bit. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think it'd be cool for a Bandit King kind of Lord. Maybe they could be a disgraced noble that lost their fortune and resorted to robbery of the rich, but then the Crown recruits them and their bandit group to do mercenary jobs. Also, a cool Crit quote they could have is "Stand and deliver!" 

1 hour ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

I think it'd be cool for a Bandit King kind of Lord. Maybe they could be a disgraced noble that lost their fortune and resorted to robbery of the rich, but then the Crown recruits them and their bandit group to do mercenary jobs. Also, a cool Crit quote they could have is "Stand and deliver!" 

So... a lord who is similar to Robin Hood and Rob Roy?

I like to think of a Bow only using Female Lord royal/noble/whatever would be awesome more Legendary/Divine Weapons as Bows plus never been done yet in the Main games and could lead to diverse set of skills and backstory!

Another idea I have is a first time ever Lord that S/he can promote to a Wyvern mount with Axes as their main weapon of choice like Hector.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

What I think would be best is if the player got control of two Lords.  One would be the traditional Sword wielder who is part of the current ruling family, and the other would be a commoner/bandit Lord (preferably wielding Axes or Daggers) who was part of the original royal family and is supposed to be the real heir to the throne.  The two would have to work out their differences and band together along with their respective allies to resolve whatever crisis is threatening the land.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd like to see a lord who is actively trying to accomplish something rather than simply trying to stop someone "evil" from accomplishing something. Too often, I find the heroes of a story to be reactive rather than proactive, only rising to greatness by opposing someone else who is trying to achieve some change that is considered unpalatable, often without offering any meaningful alternative agenda of their own or solution to the deeper problems in the setting that may have motivated the villain in the first place.

Thus, I would like to see a lord who is perhaps the heir to a minor noble house or tribe in a setting wherein the land is divided up among many small warring factions fighting for dominance, with the balance of power being too even for any decisive victories and thus resulting in a continuously violent and chaotic world where the lives of commoners are cheap. Growing up within such conditions (and perhaps suffering a significant personal loss because of them) has cultivated in the lord an ambition to unite these warring factions under one unified rule and thus bring an end to the bloody stalemate. Their journey would center around traveling the world and through various means of diplomacy, subterfuge, and warfare, ultimately found a unified kingdom out of the chaos (though not necessarily with them at the head of it). Their main opponents would be those lords who felt they benefitted from the fractured status quo or who feared any one faction gaining too much influence. Importantly, I would like the lord to engage with his opponents on a meaningful ideological level in addition to a martial one, battles between the lord and their enemies should thus feel as much like a debate between two ideologies as a clash between two individual warriors. Under these conditions, I would be fine with a lord whose decisions are sometimes morally ambiguous (and sometimes objected to by some of their own allies and retainers), but who remains grounded and relatable through their relationships with the rest of the cast, making and learning from mistakes on how to lead effectively and justly, and being committed throughout to leaving the world in a better state than they found it. Essentially, a heroic and more nuanced take on Walhart.

In terms of class, I'll confess that I'm a bit old school in that swords still seem to me to be the most heroic weapon for a lord to wield, though I could be persuaded of lances or magic, just not bows. A wyvern rider or proper manakete lord also sounds appealing to me. 

I saw "Cleric Lord" on page 2 and fell in love with the idea. It would be cool to play as a support role Lord at least once and a Cleric would also be a perfect fit for the Tactician role, since they're typically on the back lines and supervising the other Units anyway (also: if anyone's read/ seen Log Horizon, the Lord would basically be Shiroe and that is awesome). The only downside is that as a Cleric the Lord wouldn't be scoring any heroic kills against bandits and monsters and final bosses (unless s/he gets a staff version of Falchion or something) so would probably only work when paired with an offensive Lord. At least they could get a horse on promotion for that extra mobility though.

I love the idea of an Axe-wielding female and was surprised to see the idea come up already, but I guess it was for the same reasons I wanted one :P I agree that it would be nice to have a sole - or at least primary - female protagonist though.

Apart from that, I'd love a Lance or Bow Lord. If there are multiple Lords, I'd like one to be an older character too (like the Cleric Lord I mentioned above) and on top of that I would love another Rags to Riches/ happiness story - this time with the protagonist staying a middle class citizen throughout (the only exception being if they marry into the throne).

I like the idea of a lance-wielding backwater noble who doesn't want to get involved in much of anything (kinda like the "coward lord" idea mentioned above). Their development would be them growing into a leaderly role-- though once everything's said and done they'd be content to return to their own little patch of the world.

Edited by The DanMan

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

I like the idea of a lance-wielding backwater noble who doesn't want to get involved in much of anything (kinda like the "coward lord" idea mentioned above). Their development would be them growing into a leaderly role-- though once everything's said and done they'd be content to return to their own little patch of the world.

I don't even think they'd have to be a noble. Just make them a normal dude/dudette that like, lives in a farm. You could do the Mycen/Greil thing where it turns out their father and/or mother was a general in a big army to explain why this one random farmer is able to rise through an army and become a lord like Ike, but since their parent wanted to live a chill life, taught their kid to be more of a pacifist.

And make them wield axes and lances, just to address the problem that's been cropping up lately with the franchise having too many sword lords.

Edited by Slumber

36 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I don't even think they'd have to be a noble. Just make them a normal dude/dudette that like, lives in a farm. You could do the Mycen/Greil thing where it turns out their father and/or mother was a general in a big army to explain why this one random farmer is able to rise through an army and become a lord like Ike, but since their parent wanted to live a chill life, taught their kid to be more of a pacifist.

And make them wield axes and lances, just to address the problem that's been cropping up lately with the franchise having too many sword lords.

I mentioned "lance-wielding" right before "backwater noble".

And I guess I'm just tempering my expectations-- even in my wishes.

Edited by The DanMan

Slightly OT, but still relevant enough to mention here I think:

I imagine it's too late for FE 2018, but given the "too many swords" issue Warriors seems to be having (or not), do you think IS will try to avoid Sword Lords for FE17 (at least)?

2 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Slightly OT, but still relevant enough to mention here I think:

I imagine it's too late for FE 2018, but given the "too many swords" issue Warriors seems to be having (or not), do you think IS will try to avoid Sword Lords for FE17 (at least)?

Not really. The excuse was flimsy and all the introduced Original characters wield swords. If anything, they might add a sword lord with a distinctive style to them alone accompanied by another type of weapon Lord. 

As for me, I just want a Lord who can admit that their party isn't a bastion of righteousness and let it be apparent in-story. Show us that both sides are equally justified without some evil dragon cult providing you a moral high ground. That's not to say despots can't be in any new FE games, but it'd be nice if the Lord and the player could get a glimpse of just how horrible being part of the invasion force can feel when no one wanted you in the first place.

Aside from that a lance wielding main character would be nice. I don't really care about gender.

I kind of like the idea of a Bow-wielding lord because they would have to rely on other units to defend them from close range, which could go with the whole "Bonds of friendship" idea that the series loves so much.

They could also do some sick animations with a Bow lord.

I just thought of this idea: a lord who is the younger sibling (his/her older brother being the heir apparent) in a noble/royal family, and is also almost Rhys-level frail and sickly, so no one expects the lord to inherit the title, especially the lord character him/herself. But then, a standard FE terrible event strikes the family, but, in a twist, the father survives, but the elder sibling seemingly dies, making the frail, sickly, unprepared lord the new heir apparent. Since the lord character is frail and sickly, he/she would be a mage or priest.

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I just thought of this idea: a lord who is the younger sibling (his/her older brother being the heir apparent) in a noble/royal family, and is also almost Rhys-level frail and sickly, so no one expects the lord to inherit the title, especially the lord character him/herself. But then, a standard FE terrible event strikes the family, but, in a twist, the father survives, but the elder sibling seemingly dies, making the frail, sickly, unprepared lord the new heir apparent. Since the lord character is frail and sickly, he/she would be a mage or priest.

I love it, especially the blend of old and new.

Edited by DefyingFates

On 2/8/2017 at 7:29 AM, YouSquiddinMe said:

I want a lord that rejects their nobility and flees the castle/palace/etc.

So basically 99% of Disney movies right? 

On the topic of lords who are just dead weight, what would be a good story justification?

What if the main character was deathly sick and thus would have horrid bases and okay growths. Though that would make for a depressing epilogue.

Edited by ThatOneWeakArcher

39 minutes ago, ThatOneWeakArcher said:

On the topic of lords who are just dead weight, what would be a good story justification?

What if the main character was deathly sick and thus would have horrid bases and okay growths. Though that would make for a depressing epilogue.

He doesn't have to be deathly sick; he could be Rhys-level frail and sickly.

In fact, the 9th Century English monarch, Alfred the Great, was a frail man plagued by illness (theorized to be Chron's Disease), yet he still led what was left of Saxon England against the Viking invasions. He is somehow remembered as a warrior king, despite being notably too weak to fight; my guess would be that he was on the battlefield; just never anywhere near the front lines.

A physically weak lord like this would probably become a priest/mage to compensate for lack of strength (as I mentioned previously when I mentioned my idea of a lord who was never meant to be the heir to a position, but becomes heir after his/her elder brother dies).

On 06/06/2017 at 5:43 PM, ThatOneWeakArcher said:

Which disney movie does that happen in?

Not sure on gameplay wise, but thematically, even if I know it's quite unlikely, I'd like to see a Doge Lord.

We've had enough kingdoms as the main country. Let's have a merchant republic for once as the main country. Have the protagonist not deal with an invading kingdom or something, but against rival republics for control of an important trade route, and stuff. And I suppose with some kingdom-related stuff thrown in as side-stuff. Or the protagonist goes all Marco Polo (in which case it wouldn't be the Doge, I suppose). Or something like that.