Netflix Recommendations

Rex Glacies

Once again I turn on Netflix and just scroll through, looking for something good and finding nil. So, do any of you have any good recommendations? I'm kinda an anime fan, but I've only watched Fullmetal Alchemist (and Brotherhood), Death Note, and Fairy Tail. However, I've also seen Parks and Rec. and Stranger Things, but not much else.

As such, if y'all know of any good shows, that would be appreciated.

I haven't seen it but I've heard really good things about breaking bad. Also, both of Jim Jeffries' comedy specials are hilarious, and American Dad is really good. I found Seasons 2-4 of the Office really funny (and it got kinda stale afterwards, but that's just me). Also, Futurama is great.

I hate to Be " that guy", but I really like "My Little Pony: Friendship is magic". Watch the first 2 episodes of the tv show to decide if you like it. I find that netflix's anime selection is anemic at best (with the exception of "Madoka Magica" Which i really liked. It's one of those things that is best gone into completely unspoiled.) Disclaimer: I lost my netflix around a year ago, so it is possible that one or both of those things are not on there anymore.

Edited by sirmola

I love Parks & Rec and Stranger Things.

My current recommendations:

Person of Interest - hugely underrated network show that starts off as a take on your typical police procedural show, but quickly delves into heavier-hitting topics such as police corruption, government spying and super artificial intelligences. It was ahead of its time (the last season aired last year) and feels more relevant today than ever. Also, just some genuinely good, tense drama.

I usually recommend The Fall and Luther to people - both are crime dramas.

Following on from Parks & Rec, Aziz Ansari's Master of None is decent. I'm also enjoying Bob's Burgers a lot.

6 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

I haven't seen it but I've heard really good things about breaking bad. Also, both of Jim Jeffries' comedy specials are hilarious, and American Dad is really good. I found Seasons 2-4 of the Office really funny (and it got kinda stale afterwards, but that's just me). Also, Futurama is great.

I've also heard good things about Breaking Bad, but I think it's a bit too violent/mature for my tastes. I've also heard about the Office. I might give that a try. Futurama also sounds great.

3 hours ago, Res said:

I love Parks & Rec and Stranger Things.

My current recommendations:

Person of Interest - hugely underrated network show that starts off as a take on your typical police procedural show, but quickly delves into heavier-hitting topics such as police corruption, government spying and super artificial intelligences. It was ahead of its time (the last season aired last year) and feels more relevant today than ever. Also, just some genuinely good, tense drama.

I usually recommend The Fall and Luther to people - both are crime dramas.

Following on from Parks & Rec, Aziz Ansari's Master of None is decent. I'm also enjoying Bob's Burgers a lot.

I'm not much of a crime and police fan, but Person of Interest looks really good. I haven't heard about the other shows, but I might look into them.

3 hours ago, sirmola said:

I hate to Be " that guy", but I really like "My Little Pony: Friendship is magic". Watch the first 2 episodes of the tv show to decide if you like it. I find that netflix's anime selection is anemic at best (with the exception of "Madoka Magica" Which i really liked. It's one of those things that is best gone into completely unspoiled.) Disclaimer: I lost my netflix around a year ago, so it is possible that one or both of those things are not on there anymore.

Well, this is the first time someone has recommended "My Little Pony" to me, so that's interesting. Frankly, if these shows have a good story, characters, humor, etc., then I can look past the feminine/childish aspects. Though, that will be a hard barrier to cross.

If you do start Person of Interest, I hope you enjoy it!

I'd say (just as a warning; I loved it from the start, but I know others who didn't) that it takes about 3/4 of the way through season one to start introducing some of its ongoing storylines,  and it only gets really intriguing in season two. 

I have canadian netflix so availability is likely to vary but...

Arrested Development is great. Then there is breaking bad if you are looking for something not comedy. Family guy is pretty good when you have nothing else. Then there is also Futurama and Archer (which is hilarious).

The Sherlock BBC series is also there, which i find is pretty great.

All of how i met your mother is there too, if you want to get into a 9 season thing.

Community is there too, I have only seen up to season 4, but i hear that is good enough because it gets weird in even later seasons (lots of cast changes season 4 onward).

I have to recommend Better Call Saul. It is set in the same universe as Breaking Bad, but knowledge of Breaking Bad is not required (a few cameos and some characters appear from there, but it mainly takes place before the events of Breaking Bad). It has really well written characters.

Bojack Horseman is amazing. Never have I seen a show that can make me this emotional. It's actually a really deep show, and the characters are some of the most three-dimensional that I've ever seen.

19 minutes ago, Bandido Banderas said:

Bojack Horseman is amazing. Never have I seen a show that can make me this emotional. It's actually a really deep show, and the characters are some of the most three-dimensional that I've ever seen.

i agree with this, but I feel like it should also be a warning

don't watch it if you're not ready for a really emotional show

If you're into anime, I highly recommend Hunter x Hunter. Netflix has got the 2011 version. I laughed, and cried, it was a ride. It starts off like a regular shounen, then subverts the genre to oblivion. 

I recently watched a couple episodes of The Office, as well as Futurama. Futurama is as funny as I thought; which is to say hillarious. The Office is ok, but I know it will get better in Seasons 2/3. I haven't had the time to look into any of the other shows though.

On 2/9/2017 at 7:43 PM, SlayerX said:

I have canadian netflix so availability is likely to vary but...

Arrested Development is great. Then there is breaking bad if you are looking for something not comedy. Family guy is pretty good when you have nothing else. Then there is also Futurama and Archer (which is hilarious).

The Sherlock BBC series is also there, which i find is pretty great.

All of how i met your mother is there too, if you want to get into a 9 season thing.

Community is there too, I have only seen up to season 4, but i hear that is good enough because it gets weird in even later seasons (lots of cast changes season 4 onward).

I have to recommend Better Call Saul. It is set in the same universe as Breaking Bad, but knowledge of Breaking Bad is not required (a few cameos and some characters appear from there, but it mainly takes place before the events of Breaking Bad). It has really well written characters.

Arrested Development looks quite funny. I'll be sure to check it out. I've heard a lot about Sherlock, but I don't know if its my thing. How I met your Mother doesn't seem like my type of show either. I might consider Archer though.

On 2/13/2017 at 7:35 PM, unique said:
On 2/13/2017 at 7:14 PM, Bandido Banderas said:

i agree with this, but I feel like it should also be a warning

don't watch it if you're not ready for a really emotional show

Yea. I'm not that much of a fan of emotional shows, so it doesn't appear appealing to me.

16 hours ago, komasa said:

If you're into anime, I highly recommend Hunter x Hunter. Netflix has got the 2011 version. I laughed, and cried, it was a ride. It starts off like a regular shounen, then subverts the genre to oblivion. 

Y'all are gonna hate me for this, but I'm not that willing to watch an anime that isn't dubbed in English. My sister's been trying to get me to watch this as well, so I can assure you, once it is dubbed, I'll be the first in line.

12 hours ago, Tuvy said:

DURARARA! Is a great anime, but be warned, it is bloody and has a slow start.

Never heard of this one. Looking into it, it seems to have a slight Irish mythology influence. Because I love learning about mythology, that gives it a few points in my book.

The first three seasons of Arrested Development must have been one of the funniest TV shows I've ever watched, so I definitely recommend that. I didn't like season 4, though.

A series that i've watched recently that I had a lot of fun with was Raising Hope. I definitely recommend it as well.

I see you've started with the Office. I also absolutely love it, so yeah, I'd stick with it.

Edited by Nobody

Stranger Things is one of the most best shows I've seen in a long while. You will love it more if you grew up with 80's movies like The Goonies.

Community is a well written college comedy that not only has memorable characters, but it's one of the few sitcoms where they go all out with ideas (such an episode where it's 90% animated in clay) and has a great world building as well.

Bojack Horseman is a fantastic series but the first season can be slow but man it can get to you at times.

And in case you recognize my avatar, Archer is my favorite animated comedy of all time. Smart writing, beautiful animation, has mean spirited characters that are actually entertaining, has great homages to classic shows like Magnum P.I and is probably the only show where the running gags never get tiring.

The only things I can critique about the show is that in some seasons they tend to go to a different side of story telling such as in Season 5,7 and the upcoming season 8 which I have high hopes for and there will be some jokes you may not get the first time. There's even Reddit page where fans ask about jokes they don't understand, but once you find out the meaning, all you can do is be amazed at how much the writers went into making that laugh.

1 hour ago, Rend Keaven said:

Stranger Things is one of the most best shows I've seen in a long while. You will love it more if you grew up with 80's movies like The Goonies.

Or if you grew up in the 80s :(

Arrested Development is A+ comedy writing although what seemed ridiculous to me in the early 00s seems rather too on the nose since having moved to the U.S. and worked in corporate U.S. culture. It's more of a documentary than anything else. The continuity is fabulous and I definitely recommend you watch the episodes in order if you start it. 

On 2/17/2017 at 5:33 PM, Res said:

Or if you grew up in the 80s :(

Arrested Development is A+ comedy writing although what seemed ridiculous to me in the early 00s seems rather too on the nose since having moved to the U.S. and worked in corporate U.S. culture. It's more of a documentary than anything else. The continuity is fabulous and I definitely recommend you watch the episodes in order if you start it. 

I remember watching Arrested Development years ago. I enjoyed it, but I might watch it from start to finish soon, because at the time I watched the show I may have missed out on most of the jokes due to having a simpler sense of humor at the time.

Is it worth watching the new season that came out in 2013? I heard some mixed opinions on it from a couple of friends.

6 minutes ago, Rend Keaven said:

I remember watching Arrested Development years ago. I enjoyed it, but I might watch it from start to finish soon, because at the time I watched the show I may have missed out on most of the jokes due to having a simpler sense of humor at the time.

Is it worth watching the new season that came out in 2013? I heard some mixed opinions on it from a couple of friends.

That was one of the delights of Arrested Development - there are so many layered jokes that there were many I didn't catch until the 3rd or 4th viewing!

I'd say the 4th season is definitely only for strong fans, sadly. It tried a little too hard to emulate the original series (the characters hadn't developed *at all*) and some of the jokes were too forced.