New screenshots from online store (+3 more) (+8 ENG)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed the Bonewalker has a different weapon icon than Alm despite possibly also wielding a sword. So is that a confirmation that unique weapon icons are back (I really missed those in Fates)? And am I the only one bothered by how huge Alm's head looks in that second shot? It's really way too close-up.

Now all I need to see those villagers in battle. There's this nagging fear in the back of my head that they dropped the unique color palettes and are doing something similar to Shadow Dragon.

5 minutes ago, Pete-of-the-Forge said:

I noticed the Bonewalker has a different weapon icon than Alm despite possibly also wielding a sword. So is that a confirmation that unique weapon icons are back (I really missed those in Fates)? And am I the only one bothered by how huge Alm's head looks in that second shot? It's really way too close-up.

Now all I need to see those villagers in battle. There's this nagging fear in the back of my head that they dropped the unique color palettes and are doing something similar to Shadow Dragon.

I highly doubt that will be the case.

Considering that these games are in 3D, and also both Awakening and Fates came before them with amazing visuals, I don't think they would risk fucking up by dropping unique colour palettes.

While you could say the same fro how SD came after PoR and RD, both also having amazing visuals (Well RD more so than PoR), they were both on completely different consoles, one of which was considerably more powerful than the other (But I could be wrong). Mean while Echoes seems to be using a similar engine, if not the same, to Fates, so I don't think you should worry too much, if at all.

On 2/10/2017 at 0:19 AM, shadowofchaos said:

Reminder: This is a Japanese screenshot.

To this day, the stat screens have always had kanji. Only exceptions being hit, dmg, and crt.

技 being for skill. Tec for Technique is appropriate "Engrish".

It can still be skill in English.

6 hours ago, VincentASM said:

To add to what SoC said, unless my memory sucks, I don't believe any previous Japanese Fire Emblem has written the stats in English.

In fact, I am pretty sure Skill is called TEC or something similar in the internal coding for the GBA FEs.

So putting that all together, it's extremely likely that TEC is simply what the Japanese know as our SKL.

EDIT

Yeah, it's "tech" in Binding Blade. Funnily enough, Speed is "quick".

JP FEs always had Kanji (or Hiragana in the really old ones) in stat screens iirc but that isn't to say that there were never any English transcription at all. Recall:

- FE4 level-up screens and promotion screens (e.g. MDF for Magic Defense, i.e. Resistance was a thing)

- FE5 stat screens, level-up screens and promotion screens (e.g. BLD for Build i.e. Constitution was a thing)

These had English abbreviations of stats (FE5 stat screens used both English abbreviations AND Kanji) 

Both of these games in particular used SKL.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way, whether TEC is retained or gets swapped to SKL in the localisation.

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

Wow they are amazing.

I never even thought of checking the UK site.

That archer design tho...

And TEC remaining TEC is interesting.

Jeez, looks like graves are still 60 avoid. I suppose that's what those bars in the top left and top right represent?

Also the fire weapon icon looks like lightning lol. But that pretty much confirms HP costing spells if you look at it.

52 minutes ago, Carnation said:

I haven't visited SF in a while, so I'm not sure if these have been shared already, but Nintendo UK's site has a few screenshots of the game. They don't show the bottom screen, but there's a screenshot of a dialogue scene, Alm opening a chest, stats (TEC is still there) and more.

Woo, more screens! Thank you for sharing :). I'll put some of the new screens here with some observations:

Spoiler

3DS_FireEmblemEchoesShadowsOfValentia_08Guessing this is new dialogue not in the original and that Saber is talking to Celica. 

3DS_FireEmblemEchoesShadowsOfValentia_01Looks like Celica is losing HP here when using magic

3DS_FireEmblemEchoesShadowsOfValentia_05I do like the class designs so far. Can't wait to see more official character art. 

3DS_FireEmblemEchoesShadowsOfValentia_06This is a very Zelda-like screenshot haha.

3 hours ago, Carnation said:

I haven't visited SF in a while, so I'm not sure if these have been shared already, but Nintendo UK's site has a few screenshots of the game. They don't show the bottom screen, but there's a screenshot of a dialogue scene, Alm opening a chest, stats (TEC is still there) and more.

Our first screenshots in English, thanks for the heads-up.

I guess this confirms no unique weapon icons, which is a drag. Interesting choice for an Archer outfit. Reminds me of Ted from Suikoden.

Edited by Pete-of-the-Forge

Fire still has 80 hit-- guess that means they just buffed Angel a bit in the accuracy department.

And interesting how Skill has become Technique worldwide. Makes a certain exchange earlier in the thread mildly humorous.

On 2/10/2017 at 9:12 AM, Tryhard said:

To be fair, I don't think anyone who even loves Gaiden would be opposed to having better hit rates (and they'll probably do either 2RNG or Fates RNG systems too). Skill not affecting spell hit rates in the original was weird, I expected it to be changed. Wonder if magic will still be unaffected by terrain bonuses though.

I did like how Gaiden's bad hit rates made Knights better since sometimes you would miss a few attacks and having someone who could take multiple hits was actually valuable.

Judging from Tobin's Archer class change screen, it seems like units will retain their unique color palettes. Tobin had a yellow and brown scheme to begin with, so my theory makes sense since his Archer model has yellow and brown in it. Now, I just hope that Tobin's portrait will be modified so that he's wearing the same archer costume. It's not that hard to make those modifications, IS. 

Edited by Leif

Really liking the presentation, but I'm dreading the won't do enough to distinguish it from Gaiden. I feel like the most important part is making use of Gaiden's brilliant ideas, not just give them a new coat of paint. If the graves still make it that much harder to hit someone and they don't implement a new way to work around that, it's going to be either frustrating or abusable just like in the original game, no matter how clean they make things look.

Edited by Thane

I'm going to be honest, I am getting a little worried that they are going to repeat SD's mistake, follow the game too closely. Gaiden had interesting ideas, but they fell flat because they either didn't work, or needed to be revised. 

I really hope hope they are not just copy and pasting Gaiden, because that would not go too well. 

5 minutes ago, InfinityAlex said:

Can anyone match that graveyard screenshot to anything in the original? Also, is that pink haired girl with pigtails an OG Gaiden character or a new one?

It looks like the first map in Chapter 2

The pink haired girl with pigtails is Mae, one of 2 mages you start off with in Celica's route in Gaiden (The other being Boey, who is the white haired mage)

Edited by N30

Awesome, just trying to use these kinds of things to gauge how closely they're sticking to the original. As far as I'm aware, we haven't seen anything completely new map-wise yet, have we?

On 10/02/2017 at 10:02 AM, Thane said:

Hooooly crap I just realized something: Celica's chance to hit with the Angel spell is 90%, as opposed to the static 80% in Gaiden. I can only hope this means Skill affects spells' chance to hit in Shadows of Valentia, because I'm not sure I can handle constantly missing six Thunders in a row in yet another game because Kliff's ridiculously high Skill stat was completely and utterly useless.

Just to bring this up, SF lists Angel as having 90% hit in Gaiden but I was almost sure it was 80% myself.

2 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Just to bring this up, SF lists Angel as having 90% hit in Gaiden but I was almost sure it was 80% myself.

Strange, I seem to remember it being 80% as well, but the two Fire Emblem wikia write different numbers, one writing 90% and the other 80%. 

However, since we now know Fire is 80% like in the original, it's starting to look like Skill won't affect spell hit chance at all. If that's true, then it's a major bummer.

15 minutes ago, Thane said:

Strange, I seem to remember it being 80% as well, but the two Fire Emblem wikia write different numbers, one writing 90% and the other 80%. 

However, since we now know Fire is 80% like in the original, it's starting to look like Skill won't affect spell hit chance at all. If that's true, then it's a major bummer.

Which leads me to believe that the change to "Tec" might be more than just a lack of accuracy benefits and some critical for magic users.

Edited by Tryhard

They at least added a few rocks as impassible terrain to the opening cave map; plus, SD and NME had drastically different enemy units and placement than the originals did. With those two things in mind, I'd like to think Gaiden's biggest issue (sucky maps made worse by funky unit placement) will be fixed, or at least heavily mitigated.

Do that and put in PoR-style supports and I'll easily forgive the rest of Gaiden's quirks.