New screenshots from online store (+3 more) (+8 ENG)

Map comparison between Gaiden and SoV screenshots

(Dungeon map enemy composition may differ due to the dungeon crawling aspect and perhaps random enemy generation)

Spoiler

Ch. 1-3, Gaiden

lw5RcAz.png

Ch. 1-3, Echoes: Shadows of Valencia

CTR_P_AJJJ.pt03.jpg

Ch. 1-5, Gaiden

vGfMgHh.png

Ch. 1-5, Echoes: Shadows of Valencia

echoes-019-300x169.jpg

Ch. 2-1, Gaiden

vBy33tQ.png

Ch. 2-1, Echoes: Shadows of Valencia

3DS_FireEmblemEchoesShadowsOfValentia_01

Ch. 2-7, Gaiden

z64puqX.png

Ch. 2-7, Shadows of Valencia

LvJETZd.jpg

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Leif said:

Judging from Tobin's Archer class change screen, it seems like units will retain their unique color palettes. Tobin had a yellow and brown scheme to begin with, so my theory makes sense since his Archer model has yellow and brown in it. Now, I just hope that Tobin's portrait will be modified so that he's wearing the same archer costume. It's not that hard to make those modifications, IS. 

Hope so. I'm probably just being paranoid, but something I noticed that was more common in Fates than Awakening was that a lot classes (Basara and Onmyoji come to mind) kept the same palette regardless of who promoted to them (Awakening did this with Trickster).

And I'm going to be that person: I think I prefer Fates' interface. I feel the parchment quality fit more with the Medieval aesthetic. These just look like text boxes you can make in Microsoft Word to me. And as I mentioned before, Alm's face is to close!

That being said, I'm sure I'll warm up to it. I'm still ridiculously hyped for this, even if it's too faithful to the original (my only problem with Gaiden was that it was annoying to navigate and too slow).

56 minutes ago, Pete-of-the-Forge said:

Hope so. I'm probably just being paranoid, but something I noticed that was more common in Fates than Awakening was that a lot classes (Basara and Onmyoji come to mind) kept the same palette regardless of who promoted to them (Awakening did this with Trickster).

And I'm going to be that person: I think I prefer Fates' interface. I feel the parchment quality fit more with the Medieval aesthetic. These just look like text boxes you can make in Microsoft Word to me. And as I mentioned before, Alm's face is to close!

That being said, I'm sure I'll warm up to it. I'm still ridiculously hyped for this, even if it's too faithful to the original (my only problem with Gaiden was that it was annoying to navigate and too slow).

I really think they will have unique color schemes for all the characters. During the Nintendo Direct, it showed footage of Grey as a green Cavalier (after he promotes). Grey wears green villager attire when he is kneeling at the Mila Shrine. 

I will be really angry at IS if they does not:

A.) Make unit portraits change upon promotion

B.) Have unique portraits and models for enemy bosses (Fates did a good job at that)

C.) Have different enemy model color palettes based on unit faction (to allow the player to distinguish enemy units who hail from different countries or factions, like Mercenaries/Bandits, Rigel and Zofia.)

I love it when games pay attention to these kinds of little details. IS has no excuse not to make these additions since they already have the Fates engine to work with. They didn't have to do that much programming other than adding the landscapes, dungeons, new spell animations etc. I really want this game to be as polished as possible. 

Edited by Leif

55 minutes ago, Pete-of-the-Forge said:

Fates was pretty terrible when it comes to custom palettes, whereas Awakening was pretty good.

Due to the lower roster size, I see no reason why they wouldn't all have unique palettes. Original Gaiden only has 32 characters, and Fates has... a lot more. Even with some new characters, there should be no excuse for not having them.

20 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:
  • Where do you see that??

Look through the English screenshots on page 3 (I believe). Celica casts a Fire spell that costs 1 hp. Since she can perform a follow-up attack on the monster, she loses 2 HP from casting 2 Fire Spells. 

9 minutes ago, Leif said:

Look through the English screenshots on page 3 (I believe). Celica casts a Fire spell that costs 1 hp. Since she can perform a follow-up attack on the monster, she loses 2 HP from casting 2 Fire Spells. 

Thanks.  I just had to check the European site.  My god, though.  60 avoid!?  That's more than a Thracian throne! Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the graves in the original 40 avoid?

4 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

Thanks.  I just had to check the European site.  My god, though.  60 avoid!?  That's more than a Thracian throne! Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the graves in the original 40 avoid?

No. They were 60 avoid. I was hoping they would fix this, but 'm ok with it still being there.

Same goes for Magic still staking up HP.

I hope Magic doesn't have set hit rates like in the original, and it looks like it won't.

I really hope they don't keep low growths in this game like SD did. Make the growths more like New Mystery/Awakening/Fates, etc.

Also, hoping for unique palettes and bosses.

10 minutes ago, 1japanfan said:

No. They were 60 avoid. I was hoping they would fix this, but 'm ok with it still being there.

I hope Magic doesn't have set hit rates like in the original, and it looks like it won't.

I really hope they don't keep low growths in this game like SD did. Make the growths more like New Mystery/Awakening/Fates, etc.

Keep in mind that Magic negates any Terrain avoid bonuses. That's the advantage of using a mage over a physical fighter. It does seem that Mages do have a set hit rate because Celica has an 80% hit rate when casting Fire, like in the original. Kinda bums me out. I miss the days when Magic Users were so OP (like they were in Thracia 776). IS really seems to hate mages now. Radiant Dawn and Fates were the worst offenders to magic users.  

Edited by Leif

3 minutes ago, 1japanfan said:

I beg to differ on that one. (Prepare for a long post)  See, I'm a firm believer in growth-rates being an accurate representation of the character they belong to.  For example, in the original gaiden, robin was horrible.  His growths were bad, but he made up for it by taking the bases of the classes he went in to, like the dread fighter.  But villager robin was poor because he was supposed to represent someone poor.  You think that a viliger with little to no combat experience would be amazing, destroying hundreds of armies at a time?  No.  Because that's not who robin is or who he's supposed to represent.  Same with Ralph in FE 5.  He's a common viliger joining the war because he's fighting for his homeland.  Nothing more, nor less.  Maria from FE's 1, 3, 11, etc, is a little girl.  Yes, a princess, but a little girl through and through.  Is she supposed to be a driver of the res bus, or a god upon promotion?  No.  She's a little girl, and her growths reflect that.  Ralph's growths reflect the common soldier.  And Robin's growths reflect the poor villager boy he is, with the determination to set out on an adventurous quest to defeat dozer and many other occupational forces through the harsh teachings of war.  I like high growths as much as the next person, but when every character becomes OP, it gives little reason to use one person over another, and it may also take away what that character represents.

9 hours ago, 1japanfan said:

This seems to be the case actually. From both screenshots of Celica attacking, Angel has has 90% hit and Fire 80% hit, which fits with the original.

While I don't mind this necessarily, the only thing that will bug me to no end is Nosferatu, cause if that still has 50% hit (And it probably will), well I'm going to rage just as much as I did back when I played Gaiden and Silque and Genny refused to hit (Pls just make healing give exp. You can literally make every thing stay the same, just make healing give exp or increase Nosferatu's hit rate)

4 minutes ago, Azz said:

(Pls just make healing give exp. You can literally make every thing stay the same, just make healing give exp or increase Nosferatu's hit rate)

FE1 didn't have healing give exp. SD did.

4 minutes ago, Azz said:

I know that. Where did I mention FE 1 or SD?

I'm saying that they'd have absolutely no reason not to let healers gain EXP, as they corrected that in the past.

Edited by The DanMan

Just now, The DanMan said:

I'm saying that they'd have absolutely no reason not to let healers gain EXP.

While that's true, based on what we've seen, they seem to be staying more faithful to Gaiden, then SD did to FE1. So, I wouldn't be surprised if healers didn;t get exp from healing.

6 minutes ago, Azz said:

While that's true, based on what we've seen, they seem to be staying more faithful to Gaiden, then SD did to FE1. So, I wouldn't be surprised if healers didn;t get exp from healing.

Which would be stupid and go against precedent. It's an issue both FE1 and FE2 had; they fixed it in the past, and I would be very disappointed if they didn't change it in SoV.

Though I did just realize something a bit worrying: all the character portraits we've seen are looking forward. How would you do supports with that...?

Edited by The DanMan

28 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Which would be stupid and go against precedent. It's an issue both FE1 and FE2 had; they fixed it in the past, and I would be very disappointed if they didn't change it in SoV.

Though I did just realize something a bit worrying: all the character portraits we've seen are looking forward. How would you do supports with that...?

Well, the interface looks kind of similar to a visual novel with the characters facing forwards, but that never stopped them to talking to each other instead of directly to the player character. A mere visual choice like that shouldn't stop them from making supports.

Edited by Vier Mill

11 hours ago, Leif said:

Keep in mind that Magic negates any Terrain avoid bonuses. That's the advantage of using a mage over a physical fighter. It does seem that Mages do have a set hit rate because Celica has an 80% hit rate when casting Fire, like in the original. Kinda bums me out. I miss the days when Magic Users were so OP (like they were in Thracia 776). IS really seems to hate mages now. Radiant Dawn and Fates were the worst offenders to magic users.  

As far as I'm concerned, even if mages have had it bad in some games, I'd say if IS hates one particular class, it's fighters.

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

As far as I'm concerned, even if mages have had it bad in some games, I'd say if IS hates one particular class, it's fighters.

Touche. The only good "Fighter" unit I can think of was Orsin from Thracia 776 with the OP Pugi Axe. Also, Axe Fighters could use a 1-2 Ranged Brave Axe! xD

Other than that, they've mostly been pretty bad. 

I really like that archer design. With that in mind, the complicated designs in Fates seem even more garish than before. I already liked the new artstyle before, but the archer model really clicks with me for some reason. It actually looks like what a medieval archer would wear in battle, unlike what the previous two games did.

20 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

I beg to differ on that one. (Prepare for a long post)  See, I'm a firm believer in growth-rates being an accurate representation of the character they belong to.  For example, in the original gaiden, robin was horrible.  His growths were bad, but he made up for it by taking the bases of the classes he went in to, like the dread fighter.  But villager robin was poor because he was supposed to represent someone poor.  You think that a viliger with little to no combat experience would be amazing, destroying hundreds of armies at a time?  No.  Because that's not who robin is or who he's supposed to represent.  Same with Ralph in FE 5.  He's a common viliger joining the war because he's fighting for his homeland.  Nothing more, nor less.  Maria from FE's 1, 3, 11, etc, is a little girl.  Yes, a princess, but a little girl through and through.  Is she supposed to be a driver of the res bus, or a god upon promotion?  No.  She's a little girl, and her growths reflect that.  Ralph's growths reflect the common soldier.  And Robin's growths reflect the poor villager boy he is, with the determination to set out on an adventurous quest to defeat dozer and many other occupational forces through the harsh teachings of war.  I like high growths as much as the next person, but when every character becomes OP, it gives little reason to use one person over another, and it may also take away what that character represents.

Well, I whole-heartedly agree with you. I feel characters should reflect on who they are. Its why I don't reclass in games like Awakening and SD. It takes away the uniqueness of the character. And I'm not saying everyone needs to be broken. Just I don't want characters to have 20% and 30% across the board. If you couldn't tell from my profile picture, I love Ests. And training up units and watching go from a poor villager, to a seasoned fighter if the most satisfying part of Fire Emblem for me. Getting 1 or no stat ups just isn't fun and seeing the outcome of a unit with stats in the 10's is soo disappointing. I am all for growths representing the character I just hope they are still relatively high and give classes higher caps. (One of the reasons I don't like Thracia is because all the caps are 20 which just about everyone can reach. I also don't like SD cause everyone who isn't Tiki, Caeda, or Marth has really low growths.) 

22 hours ago, 1japanfan said:

Well, I whole-heartedly agree with you. I feel characters should reflect on who they are. Its why I don't reclass in games like Awakening and SD. It takes away the uniqueness of the character. And I'm not saying everyone needs to be broken. Just I don't want characters to have 20% and 30% across the board. If you couldn't tell from my profile picture, I love Ests. And training up units and watching go from a poor villager, to a seasoned fighter if the most satisfying part of Fire Emblem for me. Getting 1 or no stat ups just isn't fun and seeing the outcome of a unit with stats in the 10's is soo disappointing. I am all for growths representing the character I just hope they are still relatively high and give classes higher caps. (One of the reasons I don't like Thracia is because all the caps are 20 which just about everyone can reach. I also don't like SD cause everyone who isn't Tiki, Caeda, or Marth has really low growths.) 

Well, what about cain or wolf, or Sedgar or Catria or....   There are plenty of characters in SD that have good growths, and many characters don't need them to be useful.  As for reclassing, I feel that as long as they don't have that much character to begin with, it's fine to reclass them into whatever you want.  One of the things I hope echoes doesn't bring back is reclassing, because having reclassing AND branched promotions in the same game can ruin the point of unit variety.

1 hour ago, Lord Tullus said:

One of the things I hope echoes doesn't bring back is reclassing, because having reclassing AND branched promotions in the same game can ruin the point of unit variety.

I was going to suggest reclassing based on the unit's starting weapon from their base class. But with the way Gaiden worked and how Shadows of Valentia works. It wouldn't work and probably still would be broke if applied to any future FE