Ephraim Hard Mode Questions.

amg

Hello, I completed Eirika Hard Mode with a lot of arena abusing/grinding a few months ago, but now I am trying to do Ephraim Hard Mode with no use of the arena/creatures/ruins. 

I have a few questions about EpHM, mostly based on how experience is granted since I'm not grinding.

I plan on only using Eirika, Ephraim, Franz (Paladin), Vanessa (Falcoknight), Moulder (Bishop), Garcia (Hero), Colm (Rogue), Artur (Bishop), Lute (Mage Knight), Joshua (Swordmaster), Cormag (Wyvern Knight), and Gerik (Hero). I also plan on recruiting every character.

Right now I'm in the middle of Chapter 7. Ephraim solo'd Chapter 5x. The 9 characters I have at this time are all level 8 or level 9. Vanessa, Moulder, and Lute have max supports while Colm has an A support and Artur has a B support.

When is the best time to promote? Obviously at level 20 would be ideal to get maximum potential but I don't know if my units will reach level 20 at an optimal time, especially my healer. Another time I was thinking about promoting is at or after Chapter 14 where I have access to the secret shop and then I can play Scorched Sand with just promoted units and the lords.

Is this even possible or would be so hard that I would need aid from Myrrh or any pre-promotes or would I have to start from scratch? Should I change my promotions?

When I get Eirika in Scorched Sand, is she the exact same level she was at the end of Chapter 8 or does she gain a few?

What do I do with statboosters and who do I give them to? I think I got 2 so far and I used the Defense one on Moulder and the Skill one on Colm. They had the least of that stat at the time.

Edited by amg

27 minutes ago, amg said:

When is the best time to promote? Obviously at level 20 would be ideal to get maximum potential but I don't know if my units will reach level 20 at an optimal time, especially my healer. Another time I was thinking about promoting is at or after Chapter 14 where I have access to the secret shop and then I can play Scorched Sand with just promoted units and the lords.

In general, FE8 allows you to be more lenient with your promotion than most other games. You won't get to 20/20 without grinding before the postgame, so early promotion doesn't really hurt longterm, but you usually don't get punished for being too greedy with that XP, either. Personally, I promote most units at level 20, just because I can, except for healers (so that they can gain XP via combat) and occasionally mounted and flying units (if I want them to go and secure side objectives isolated from the bulk of my troops and they have trouble doing so unpromoted).

36 minutes ago, amg said:

When I get Eirika in Scorched Sand, is she the exact same level she was at the end of Chapter 8 or does she gain a few?

She gets autoleveled to 15 if she was at a lower level before that.

37 minutes ago, amg said:

What do I do with statboosters and who do I give them to? I think I got 2 so far and I used the Defense one on Moulder and the Skill one on Colm. They had the least of that stat at the time.

It doesn't matter that much, but Def boosters usually work better on units that already are decently tanky. If a unit gets hit, say, five units in enemy phase, the +2 Def translates into 10 less damage taken. Frail units, otoh, that can only tank one or two hits anyway, are much better off using a Angelic Robe so that they might just tank one additional attack.

Other than that, Speedwings have the biggest effect if the recipient is just barely not doubling without them. In SS, that's probably just your slowest units, if any. Goddess Icons, Skill Books and Talismans are the weakest of the statboosters and it might even be worth considering to just sell them.

The two hardest chapters of Ephraim Mode are chapters 11 and 14. The other chapters are similar to the Eirika Mode chapters when it comes to difficulty. Chapter 11 is a fog of war map where you have limited space to move while getting attacked from multiple directions. Chapter 14 features a lot of status stave users and your units start in two different locations, so I recommend that you have at least one restore staff on each of the two parties. 

Sacred Stones is beatable with basically all characters, so you should be fine with the team you have right now. I would promote Moulder at level 10 to make it easier to train him. 

Aside from the things ping already mentioned about stat boosters, I would give the Goddess Icon to Moulder. His luck is so low that many enemies have a slight chance to get a critical hit against him. 

9 hours ago, FiboSai said:

Aside from the things ping already mentioned about stat boosters, I would give the Goddess Icon to Moulder. His luck is so low that many enemies have a slight chance to get a critical hit against him. 

Good point that I forgot about. Oops. ;) Yeah, Moulder and Artur actually like a Goddess Icon, if only for your own peace of mind.