Struggling to understand damage mechanics

Jman1115

I am running a team with 

Marth 5*

Nino 4* 

Tiki Dragon Scion 5*

Catria 4*

They are all level 32+

Sometimes I run an arena match or trials match and get one shot by certain characters. I check and ME engaging them, they might deal 5 damage, however on their turn they one shot me. 

Other times I look at their attack vs my res/def and they should deal roughly 10 damage but end up dealing 20-30 damage on me. What the heck is going on? 

Also, having weapon type advantage gives how much of a boost to your stats? 

Look at their abilities, many units have skills where they get bonuses when initiating combat or give other units boosts to thier attack.

In your case i know for certain that Tiki has an ability where she gains armor when initiating an attack, this might be part of the reason you've been seeing differnaces in damage.

5 minutes ago, Alto said:

Look at their abilities, many units have skills where they get bonuses when initiating combat or give other units boosts to thier attack.

In your case i know for certain that Tiki has an ability where she gains armor when initiating an attack, this might be part of the reason you've been seeing differnaces in damage.

I have been looking at that and found nothing in several cases that would indicate the sharp increase in damage output. Doesn't mean I didn't miss anything. I am also curious how much of a boost weapon advantage gives. 

5 minutes ago, Jman1115 said:

I have been looking at that and found nothing in several cases that would indicate the sharp increase in damage output. Doesn't mean I didn't miss anything. I am also curious how much of a boost weapon advantage gives. 

WTA boosts the attack of the advantaged side by 20%, and WTD deducts the same from the disadvantaged side. Also, if a unit uses a weapon that is effective against a unit, like bows against fliers, that unit's attack is boosted by 50%.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Here's the damage formula, this should help you a bit. Let me know if there's anything you don't understand! =)

Spoiler

Damage = [Atk x EFF] x Weapon ADV/DA - (Def or Res)

Weapon ADV = 1.2 (1.4 with Triangle Adept)

Weapon DA = 0.8 (0.6 with Triangle Adept)

EFF (Armorslayer, Heavy Spear etc) = 1.5

Each multiplication rounded down except DA gets rounded up.

For Healers damage is halved.

From observation, the order of damage calculation goes like this:

Attack (+bonuses/-penalties) - respective Defense/Resistance = Damage

Weapon Triangle advantage/disadvantage will be 20% added or subtracted from the Attack.

Effectiveness (Armorslayer, Falchion, bows vs. flying, etc.) grants a 50% bonus to Attack.

Triangle Adept 1 is 10% bonus/deficit to advantage/disadvantage (the rest of Triangle Adept I can't recall right now)

If you're facing a staff such as Assault, you half the Damage (still observing this; I've been off a few times).

All decimals are truncated before you do the rest of the calculation. Ex. 24 Attack with weapon advantage = 24 + 4.8 but remove decimal before you deduct the defensive stat from it, so you have 24 + 4 - defensive stat.

And to repeat what everyone has said, check skills.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Birdy but he seems to have the better understanding so I'd go with that.

Edited by Dual Dragons

4 minutes ago, Dual Dragons said:

From observation, the order of damage calculation goes like this:

Attack (+bonuses/-penalties) - respective Defense/Resistance = Damage

Weapon Triangle advantage/disadvantage will be 20% added or subtracted from the Attack.

Effectiveness (Armorslayer, Falchion, bows vs. flying, etc.) grants a 50% bonus to Attack.

Triangle Adept is 10% bonus/deficit to advantage/disadvantage.

If you're facing a staff such as Assault, you half the Damage (still observing this; I've been off a few times).

All decimals are truncated before you do the rest of the calculation. Ex. 24 Attack with weapon advantage = 24 + 4.8 but remove decimal before you deduct the defensive stat from it, so you have 24 + 4 - defensive stat.

And to repeat what everyone has said, check skills.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Birdy but he seems to have the better understanding so I'd go with that.

Hmm, I just gave the formula, you actually gave a much better explanation with examples, so credit to you =). 

16 minutes ago, Birdy said:

Hmm, I just gave the formula, you actually gave a much better explanation with examples, so credit to you =). 

Cool, thanks guys. Do either of you happen to know if there is a way to tell before going into a battle what TYPE of units you will face? It shows weapon types but doesn't seem to indicate whether they are fliers, heavy armor etc. 

1 minute ago, Jman1115 said:

Cool, thanks guys. Do either of you happen to know if there is a way to tell before going into a battle what TYPE of units you will face? It shows weapon types but doesn't seem to indicate whether they are fliers, heavy armor etc. 

Unfortunuatly, I don't think you can. You can see if it's physical or magical, dragon, bow user, shuriken user or healer, but not what classes they are I think.

1 minute ago, Jman1115 said:

Not that I know of, unfortunately. Hence why I bring at least one magic-user (preferably a tome). Even if they have weapon triangle disadvantage, if the armor can't get to them, the armor will die eventually.

The most diversity is in the swords/lances/axes in terms of defensive stats (ranging from armor to flier, defense and resistance). So if you can, pick up a magic-user. Even a dragon will do so long as you're careful when they go up against armors they have disadvantage.

9 minutes ago, Jman1115 said:

Tap the unit to select it. Tap the plus sign next to their face on the top right. Next to their level, there should be an icon indicating the unit type (foot, armor, horse, or flying).

1 hour ago, Dual Dragons said:

Not that I know of, unfortunately. Hence why I bring at least one magic-user (preferably a tome). Even if they have weapon triangle disadvantage, if the armor can't get to them, the armor will die eventually.

The most diversity is in the swords/lances/axes in terms of defensive stats (ranging from armor to flier, defense and resistance). So if you can, pick up a magic-user. Even a dragon will do so long as you're careful when they go up against armors they have disadvantage.

1 hour ago, Birdy said:

Unfortunuatly, I don't think you can. You can see if it's physical or magical, dragon, bow user, shuriken user or healer, but not what classes they are I think.

So here is a concrete example I just ran into that was in my favor. 

Dargon Scion Tiki (mine) vs Axe Knight

Both red

Axe knight has 33 defense, Tiki has 44 attack. No modifiers to my knowledge. Axe knight had no special skills and Tiki wasn't buffed by anyone. 

When she went in to attack, he did the expected damage calculating her def buff, but my Tiki did 34x2 damage. I know the x2 comes from her spee dbeing 5+ his, but 34???? Do dragons have bonuses I am not aware of?