Looking for a good DS RPG

SullyMcGully

I'm going to be going on a long road trip soon, and I figured it would be a great time to start on an RPG. I have a 2DS, however, due to limited funds, I'm thinking of going with one of the cheaper normal DS games out there. I like RPGs and strategy games. Anybody got some inexpensive recommendations?  

Well if you haven't played them I recommend either original  DS  SMT Devil Survivor games but especially Devil survivor 2.  They  have been remade with extras for 3DS but the originals are both good and are around $5.

Edited by EricaofRenais

5 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Well if you haven't played them I recommend either original  DS  SMT Devil Survivor games but especially Devil survivor 2.  They  have been remade with extras for 3DS but the originals are both good and are around $5.

I haven't played either of those, but I'll check them out. I'm also thinking about getting one of the DS Dragon Quest games. Are those any good?

21 minutes ago, Dai said:

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes. The entire Zenithian trilogy (Dragon Quest IV-VI) is fantastic, and IX is pretty sweet, too.

Seconding this, aside from IV.  If you want to play IV in English, the Android/iOS version is objectively superior, because the translators of the DS release completely cut Party Chat (which contains a LOT of the game's main party's characterization) before actually doing the translation so it could be added back in the Android/iOS one.  This isn't a problem with V/VI, though, party chat is kept in the DS versions of them.

Devil Survivor 1 and 2 are good ones, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is a great if very long and time consuming game. Tales of the Abyss is an excellent choice, I highly, highly recommend it. And there's always Pokemon, which are always good games. There's Rune Factory if you like a mixture of farming sims, dating sims and RPG. The Mario&Luigi series is also pretty fun.

Edited by Water Mage

My favorates are 5 and 9. 9 has the best gameplay, while 5 has the best story.  If you haven't played chrono trigger, the DS version is great. Yes it does live up to the hype. If you don't mind real time elements, I recomend, "the world ends with you".

Devil surviver 1 and 2 have 3ds rereleases that i highly recomend, because of their added features and content. The big additions to the first game are the addition of a compendium, which makes the game much less grindy, multiple savefiles, and an easy mode that i highly recomend given that this game is HARD. That being said, the rereleases mean that a ds copy of devil surviver ! goes for much cheaper than it should, given its quality ($12 on amazon now). It also has a new game plus with a wide variety of endings, so you can get a lot of play time from it. I should note that devil surviver 1 and 2 share machanics but no story line of any kind. I have not played 2 but 1 has enough replay value to be

Another DS RPG that i absolutely loved is "Radiant Historia" which is an great RPG with gameplay that is unique while still being familiar. It also has a great story with fun twists and memorable characters.

One relatively inexpensive 3ds RPG is Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. It has its flaws (such as far too many permanent missables, and no way to skip dialog), but I have a ton of fun with it. It is also the cheapest game on this list, and the only one you can get for less than $10 on amazon ($8) Its defenatly worth that.

IF dirt cheap 3ds games are fine, Code name steam is going for $10 new on amazon for some reason (they are probably shediing stock). I have not played that, though.

I'd recomend a virtual console game, but the only RPG that i know of on 2ds virtual console is Pokemon RBY (there are some SNES virtual console games, but all of these are new 3ds only).

Edited by sirmola

My all time favourite game is The World Ends With You, it's so underrated! If you're a fan of Square Enix, give it a go. It does have a real time battle system if it matters, but the story and soundtrack are killer!

Thanks for the advice everyone! After looking at prices, I went ahead with Radiant Historia, so... that should be interesting. I'm actually not sure what it is, but it got really good reviews, both here and elsewhere. I'll probably be looking into some of the other games here when I finish it , though. So thanks again!

SRW OG Saga Endless Frontier is a fun RPG with a very unique style of gameplay. It's a bit hard to explain in full, but you could always watch a video of it.

Of course, it's very anime-esque, and there are boob-jokes up the wazoo. Some characters in the story are crossovers from other games too, but you could just be like me and look up the characters on the internent :/

I recommend that you probably wanted to try out Dragon Quest games as well as IX, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy games, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time + Bowser's Inside Story as well. Those games were good as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

19 hours ago, SullyMcGully said:

Thanks for the advice everyone! After looking at prices, I went ahead with Radiant Historia, so... that should be interesting. I'm actually not sure what it is, but it got really good reviews, both here and elsewhere. I'll probably be looking into some of the other games here when I finish it , though. So thanks again!

It's one of the best, so you're in good hands.  My only major issue with the game is that character animation is shit but other than that, it's a good time.

Devil Survivor is a round-based-strategy series a bit similar to Fire Emblem. However unlike FE each ally and enemy has a certain number which tells you the turn order.

There are two parts, but I recommend you to play the second one first. Their story are unrelated to each other so you'll have an easy to time to get into the game. Devil Survivor 2 features mechanics the first part does not like supports. Furthermore you have access to more playable characters in the beginning than in 1 and I also find this game a bit easier.

Devil Survivor Devil Survivor Devil Survivor Devil Survivor Devil Survivor Devil Survivor Devil Survivor Devil Survivor Devil Survivor Devil Survivor 

Okay, I've only played them on the DS b/c don't have the funds to purchase for the 3DS now that those remakes are out, but in any incarnation I think they'll be good.

If you want an (unpolished) experience, I strongly suggest Avalon Code, a RPG that I find very unique!!

Gonna add on some new ones different from everyone else.

I'm gonna throw a bit of a obscure one out there, but...

Megaman Starforce. These are some pretty good games in my opinion(along with the Battle Network games that came before it). Give it a shot if you're interested!

You could also try the Mario & Luigi games(Dream Team is a "Nintendo Selects" game now, so it's $20 now). 

And the Final Fantasy games(but for an really interesting story, choose FF4), as well as the Chrono Trigger port to DS.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia. Haven't played any of these game, but Dawn of Sorrow is a sequel to Aria of Sorrow for the GBA, which is a great game. It's the only one I can kinda speak for.

And of course, the obvious, Fire Emblem! Especially Shadow Dragon! So good, it'll want to put you to sleep! :P: