You know what could be cool for the DLC campaign...

So for the last two games we've had sort of a DLC campaign. Future Past in Awakening and Heirs of Fates for...Fates (side note I would have rather these two stories were styled more as additional campaigns where you actually have to beat maps the unlock the next instead of being DLC you can choose the chapter of). These were both kind of what if scenarios showing bad futures. Gaiden does have an evil god in it but I don't think the story really lends itself to this sort of additional material (mainly since Doma seems surprisingly benign for someone with such obviously evil aesthetic and underlings). But you know what could be  cool idea? Playing Rudolf's story. There's a lot of information we don't have regarding Rudolf and its info the game probably won't be able to drop naturally since his motivations are a late game plot twist. Imagine a campaign where you get to see exactly how and why he gave Alm to Mycen. What his relationship with Doma was like (who suggest this crazy gambit, the god or the king?), the origins of the falchion and also just the general state of Rigel prewar that would lead such a crazy plan to be a good idea. You could have all the enemy bosses of Gaiden be the playable units supporting Rudolf as he invades Sofia and cap it off with a climax in which Mila actually appears in person and serves as the final boss that Rudolf must defeat with the Falchion.

Anyway just some idea that's rummaging around in my head this morning. Would like to hear thoughts on its potential as well as other things we could see from additional DLC stories.

Edited by Jotari

I was just thinking about this too! I imagine that IS will continue the trend in SoV. I really like the idea of a dlc campaign that explores the past, and fleshes out the world, rather than one that is about an alternate future or a what if scenario.  

That'd be really cool.  I'd also support DLC campaigns for some of the other characters as well, like detailing how exactly did Camus get to Valencia and what made the Pegasus Sisters decide to leave for Valencia as well (IIRC, it's because Est left but that begs the question of why Est would leave like that).

1 hour ago, Refa said:

That'd be really cool.  I'd also support DLC campaigns for some of the other characters as well, like detailing how exactly did Camus get to Valencia and what made the Pegasus Sisters decide to leave for Valencia as well (IIRC, it's because Est left but that begs the question of why Est would leave like that).

It's entirely possible we could get both. Fates did give us both Heirs of Fates and Hidden Truths after all. Showing the Pegasus Sisters on Archanea could be a good way of including a cameo for other popular Archanea characters like Minerva.

4 hours ago, Refa said:

Spoiler

Est was captured by a band pirates led by Grieth, which is why she was imprisoned when you find her. How she got captured is the real mystery though, because, she could fly away on her pegasus.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 3:36 AM, Dandy Druid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Est was captured by a band pirates led by Grieth, which is why she was imprisoned when you find her. How she got captured is the real mystery though, because, she could fly away on her pegasus.

FE12 implies heavily in the support conversations that Est is just so inexperienced as to be borderline incompetent and she has zero self esteem, especially around Abel. So there is that.

Im all for a prequel campaign starring Rudolf, FE12 had a series of 3 maps that took place between Gaiden and the prologue of FE12 itself and i very much enjoyed them aside from that fucking luck based Katarina map, though I'm a bit confused as to whether this would be before, during, or after FE11 if the plot were this since I was never entirely sure if Rudolf's plot was set in motion a decade prior or if his deal with Falchion happened very recently

4 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

FE12 implies heavily in the support conversations that Est is just so inexperienced as to be borderline incompetent and she has zero self esteem, especially around Abel. So there is that.

Im all for a prequel campaign starring Rudolf, FE12 had a series of 3 maps that took place between Gaiden and the prologue of FE12 itself and i very much enjoyed them aside from that fucking luck based Katarina map, though I'm a bit confused as to whether this would be before, during, or after FE11 if the plot were this since I was never entirely sure if Rudolf's plot was set in motion a decade prior or if his deal with Falchion happened very recently

Hmm. I kind of had the feeling it was a recent event due to how most Fire Emblem games start off with a sudden invasion but thinking on it Rudolf must have given up Alm when the later was just a baby as he has no memory of it. That would imply it was something about twenty years in the  making. Alm also seems to join the liberation because he's grown sick of the invasion which would give the impression the battles have been going on for some time in order for him to form an opinion of it. However given Celica leaves to find what's up with Mila, it seems like her sealing was a lot more recent.

I wouldn't mind a DLC about Rudolf starring him and some of the Rigel bosses from the main story, maybe with a tragic element of the Rigelian officers around him slowly being corrupted by their fanatical belief in Doma's teachings. Plus it'd be nice to give Rudolf an actual first name since Rudolf appears to be the family name of the Rigel royal family. I dunno if I'd want to see any Akaneia characters aside from those who show up in Gaiden already in it, though.

I feel like that should be main content, but I would be cool with it as DLC. My hopes in general is just that IS beefs up the Gaiden script considerably to make its characters and story more compelling, and elaborating on Rudolf would be an easy way to give the game waaaaay more depth.

They could also fit something into some post-game content, considering we are given a neat ending in Gaiden that states how Alm and Celica united Valentia and become the first King and Queen, but never shown anything. Did they face any difficulties doing this? What happened to worshippers of Duma in Rigel? What happened to corruption on the side of Sofia from assumedly other generals like Desaix? We're told the son (second King) of Alm and Celica eventually renamed the continent to Valm in Awakening, but we aren't given any details of it.

Edited by Tryhard

Nomah's ending explains what happened to the worshipers of Duma (and Mila). Also, Hark is still alive by the end of the game while Judah and his greatest followers are dead. The proverbial math gets done on its own. As for the corrupt officials of Zofia, you remember that the first chapter ends with Desaix's forces on the run and the resistance that was lead by Clive taking over the Zofian capital, right? Something tells me that the aforementioned group had no interest in restoring any corrupt officials that survived Desaix's coup and didn't flee alongside him to power. And of course Alm and Celica would face difficulties. That is the sort of thing that doesn't need to be spelled out.

The reference to Desaix is because we don't see a lot of Sofian corruption apart from him in the original Gaiden, whether it be from lack of space or not. While that may be the case, it would depend if they would want the DLC to be more like FE8 postgame or FE12 prequel DLC chapters. I'm not even sure what the structure of the DLC will be in regards to similar to Awakening and Fates, or if that's even been detailed yet.

It is worth noting that Gaiden takes place before the War of Heroes and so if they even wanted to foreshadow some of the events there they very well could considering the proximity of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ill be honest, I wasnt big on Fates extra campaign DLC. I liked Future Past from Awakening better since it let you actually use your characters. Fates I had to use predetermined characters for the DLC, and I wasnt big on it. If we get another story based DLC, I would like for it to continue off of the main game, so I can use my characters more.

Edited by Tolvir