Which team to run in Advanced Arena?

TheNiddo

I posted this on GameFAQs but I figured I'd see if there are any different opinions

Which team set up would you go with? I haven't been able to really try due to being stuck lugging around a 4* Hawkeye and almost all of my 5*s being reds and thus not a good idea to go up to that rank yet. However things have recently changed with my latest set of drops.

Who I currently have as 5*
Robin, Takumi (just got), Lyn (got yesterday), Roy, Chrom (strength blessed), Cain

4* options good for promotion up to 5* in the near future
Fem.Corrin, Camilla

I've been rolling with Robin/Roy/Chrom/Hawkeye. Not horrible, Hawkeye is borderline deadweight though. Obviously moving forwards I'm locking in Robin (Takumi counter) and Takumi. That leaves me with a choice between Lyn/Roy/Chrom/( One of Fem.Corrin or Camilla) for my last two spots.

Lyn is all around good, but the most squishy of the whole lot. I've seen her listed as kinda a secondary Takumi counter when below 50% HP, and a decent-but-not-great Hector counter. 

Roy is one of the better Hector counters out there, due to his traits allowing him to nerf Hector's damage output into the ground. He takes like 6 damage a round against Hector. He's also (currently) my best Res unit and thus used to pull mages down into range of others. But his defence is not good and he almost never can deal damage against Blue units of any type outside of very Def weak mages. Push utility is nice but not always needed.

Chrom as I noted is strength blessed. Dude hits like a tank, speed is meh, defence is good, res is laughable. But he basically 1SKs any dragon, I've see numbers in the 70s against Fae with him. If a dragon is on the other team, they die plain and simple. 

Camilla would be my best (and only) 5* green unit, something I'm sorely lacking in general. But in theory Takumi can "fill in" for the green unit roll because he can be basically any unit you need. She obviously has great offensive abilities, crap defence. And with Takumi everywhere she can be dead weight at times.

Fem.Corrin is my only dragon. She's not levelled up at all atm but she'd probably be my best Res unit and is certainly a great buffer/debuffer. But if there is an enemy Chrom/Lucina/Marth she's in trouble.

I can't afford to spend money on this game, I've just been stupidly lucky with my drops (5 packs opened total), so any team commitment I make is going to be pretty long term. Those who play at high level Advanced opponents, how frequent is Hector? I know Takumi is all over the place, but what about dragons? Is it just the odd Tiki, or is there a wide variety? And which one between Camilla and Fem.Corrin would you promote?

From the convo I've had over there, I've gotten Fem!Corrin>Camilla due to Takumi meta (makes sense). After then the consensus seems to be leaning towards Robin/Takumi/Roy/?, and then its pretty split up between Fem!Corrin and Lyn.

I usually just run Ryoma, Takumi, Olivia, and Wrys, mainly because I got nobody better at combat on my team that can actually hit 40 but Olivia and Wrys are so much lower levelled than Ryo and Takumi they drag down the other team's overall levels with them. Sometimes I do get a 40 40 40 1(healer) setup but my team is still good enough to fight 3 40s due to the flexibility Olivia + Healer brings. Azura's theoretically better, but I don't have her.

Edit: I also have a spd+ atk- Ryoma, which I find to be a very good (if not the best) set up for him, given that his attack is already sky high and can be boosted higher with defiant atk, while having 3 more speed on average lets him double more opponents he wouldn't have been able to with low-medium speed, such as -spd Lucina and average spd Takumi. I've often used Ryo, given there's no blues being able to hit him same turn, to just take out Takumi EP since he can double all but the fast variants of them.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Robin, Takumi, and Lyn (plus a random, usually Tiki) is a common setup that I see floating around the Arena.

1. Robin counters Takumi due to his weapon special giving Robin an advantage over grey foes. Robin also happens to have decent defense which makes him even more effective against Takumi. So, in essence, Robin is almost a certain pick no matter what. However, since Robin & Takumi combos are so common, I recommend bringing something that can counter Robin too (such as a green unit).

2. Takumi kills everything. Even characters that technically counter him (such as Robin), no one can really defeat Takumi without suffering some sort of retaliation damage. So in this regard, Takumi should practically always be chosen even if he is a predictable choice in the Arena.

3. Lyn is a glass cannon. Yes, she is fragile, but the Lyns I run into do lots of damage (it doesn't help I have no real ranged units on my primary team). I would consider using Lyn due to her sheer damage output, try to get her below 50%, keep her alive, and watch the fireworks.

4. Chrom. I put Chrom here since he is a Falchion user and is effective against Dragons, and I see enough Dragons in the arena to warrant recommending him. It also help he has lots of different methods to survive (Sol, Aether, Defiant Defense, etc.) which can help him in prolonged battles.

I personally run Ryoma (High Speed, Low Attack), 4* Sakura, Cain, and Camilla for my advanced Arena runs and can win 7 victories in a row. However, this is not a foolproof team as I struggle with magic heavy teams and armored units (mostly in story mode), but I can handle the common Arena composition (Takumi, Robin, Lyn, Lucina, Dragons, etc.) most of the time. On occasion I may make a misplay or the map conditions favor the opponent.

Ryoma is my main man, should he go down, it is usually game over for me. Sakura is my healer and sole magic unit. Cain serves as my flanking and support unit, and his Threaten Attack -7 does wonders when I can kite around enemies to set up a kill (usually on Lyns and Lucinas). Camilla is currently my "weakest" character due to Takumi and the large number of red heroes (all swords), but she is rather effective against Robin due to her high resistance and weapon advantage.

Now note when I say that I win Advanced Arena runs, I do not win every match flawlessly. I usually have to end up sacrificing a character or two (usually Camilla, then either Cain or Sakura depending on circumstance) to win, which will lower my overall score.

Then there is the matter of using "featured characters only" for maximum point gain, but that is a topic for another time.

Personally I run Camila on my team (Robin/Tiki/Lucina are her teammates) and she is very underwhelming. She only really exists to deal with Robins (and the other blue units that pop up every so often) and most of the time she is kept on the back line so she doesn't die and ruin my run. Because of this I would recommend running F!Corrin. F!Corrin should be able to provide you with a lot more utility and will give you another source of Magic damage plus Robin will be able to deal with any Lucinas, Chroms, or Marths that would give her trouble.

Roy is not the best unit and Lyn is capable of doing great things... but id still run Roy. He's bulkier then Lyn and since Robin and Takumi are mostly likely going to be your most valuable units you are going to want all the frontline you can get to support them. Plus that Shove command can be very valuable.

Far as Hector and Dragons go they have been popping up more often now. Of these Tiki is the most common, then Hector, then the other random Dragons. You could consider running Chrom to deal with Tiki's but if you run F!Corn I doubt you'll need him.

Given the multiple Takumi meta, I'd put Hector on your team if you have one, as he can deal w/ 2-3 Takumis by himself even w/o a healer.

Robin's also top tier given his strength against grey and red units; if you time his special right, he can even deal w/ a Hector. If you have a Takumi yourself, he's flexible and useful enough on offense to merit being paired w/ Robin as your physical ranged unit. Top it off w/ either Olivia or Azura for the sing so that your ranged units can 2-tap someone, or you can advance your Hector to the front lines, and you've got yourself a solid, flexible offensive team. I unfortunately do not have a Hector, so I've been running male Corrin, who's strong enough to counter any green unit in the enemy lineup, and has enough def/res to tank a blow for the team if necessary. The only issue I've run into w/ this comp are multi-Takumi teams (I need a Hector dammit) and, interestingly enough, Nowi, who, if I'm not careful to save enough hp for at least one of my 2 ranged units, winds up killing one of them.

Edited by ZXApocrypha

I'd go with Robin/Takumi/Lyn as a base, then figure out what to do from there.  If I could put any unit in that blank, it would be Fae, so you have a green magical tank who also buffs your unit's otherwise shaky defenses, heals herself, and can be used to reposition units.  A staffbot would also work.

Edited by eclipse

I will say, Chrom is not a very good option for your fourth slot, provided you run Robin/Takumi/Lyn. You already have the necessary tools to handle Dragons, imo. Takumi basically destroys Fae, F!Corrin and Young Tiki, and really doesn't struggle that much with destroying Nowi and Old Tiki either. If he's busy murdering someone else, you can still play the triangle game with Robin and Lyn. While you might not have direct coverage for Nowi, her damage when first engaging (before she gets her Res debuff on you) is not super scary. Also, Chrom has problems killing anything that isn't a Dragon. His low Speed means he cannot double tankier opponents for better damage, and unlike Lucina, who gets to choose between Luna and Aether, Aether is Chrom's only damage-boosting Special Skill, and is slow to charge. Low Speed also means many of his Sword peers can double him, which, despite his Defense, greatly hurts his chances of survival, and thus decreases his reliability on the Enemy Phase. His attack power isn't to the point where he can one shot those Sword users on his Player Phase, either.